Chapter 12 ‘Discoveries of ourselves’
1.1k 5 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Golden Queen>

Standing on a frozen mountain a large vaguely humanoid could be seen tapping its feet.

'This is taking too long'

Snow was piling on the queen, starting to bury her. The storm was slowly increasing with power.

When she first thought of this small exercise, she had envisioned a very chaotic scene. Instead, she was met with a rather calm sight. She knew it was her fault for this but that didn't make her less annoyed. When she was approaching the mountains with her unconscious carry on, she saw a Wyvern nest loaded with some delicious eggs. She lost a little control when she got excited, resulting in her heavy mana spreading out and effectively alerting nearby creatures to the fact she was there.

The eggs found had rot. She had wasted her time getting excited over nothing while chasing away the nearby monsters. The monsters were supposed to serve as added encouragement to help her daughter climb faster. Without them this challenge of hers would be too easy.

The queen gazed up towards her child.

The child in question had frozen all movement upwards.

'She still has plenty of my mana flowing through her. Why has she stopped moving?!'

The queen was increasingly starting to get annoyed. The lack of Wyvern eggs had really got on her nerves. The day had started on an awful foot and her daughter seemed to want to make it worse by wasting as much of her time as possible. She hadn't even made it 1/16 way up.

'I am not raising a lazy, time-wasting child .'

Seemingly out of nowhere two beasts emerged.

A massive, white, harpy looking bird and a white feline.

"Greetings mistress, I am at your will"(V)

The bird was the first to speak. When he did, it spoke for the both of them.

" Vultur. I need you to fly up to hurry the lazy girl climbing.  Puma assist him"(G.Q)

"Very well"(P)

The giant bird took the sky while the feline begun to scale the wall.

 

<Vultur>

It was his first-time laying eyes on his mistress's offspring. The child looked like a mini version of his mistress.

'OH HEAVENS! That kid is so cutttteee!!'

Feeling the bond between him and Puma he began to talk.

{That's her!! After all this time the mistress has finally got a child! Isn't she just the cutest thing! I wanna cuddle her! She's just too cute for life!!} (V)

{Calm yourself Vultur. The mistress has intrusted us with her child, we mustn't fail her.} (P) 

{I know...We're just supposed to shake things up for her right?} (V)

{Correct, make sure not to go overboard} (P)

{How could I possibly?! I couldn't bring myself to hurt such a cutie!!} (V)

Seeing the girl, he couldn't help but gush. He always wanted to have someone who would play with him. Who better than a child? Vultur was very young compared with everyone close to him. Finally having someone younger to mess around with was going to be fun.

'This isn't the best way to introduce myself. I really hope she forgives me for this.' 

Letting out a shrilling screech that echoed. He continued to climb towards his target.

 

<Ignavus>

Ignavus seemed to be making new discoveries about himself everyday. For one, today he learned he has a crippling fear of heights. Gripping on the mountain face Ignavus couldn't bring himself to move an inch further. He had started off great moving, with so much speed and purpose. Infact, with such great speed and purpose Ignavus didn't slow to think about how he was going to get down.

'Maybe I could fly?'

Another stupid idea he quickly dismissed. The higher he got the harsher the winds became. It was pretty bad on the ground already, up here he felt like the winds were about to rip him off the wall.

'So much for all that hero talk. I really should have thought this through... Why am I so impulsive....'

Ignavus has been reflecting on his life ever since finding himself in this mess.

'When I think about it. All my impulsive decisions led me to my current situation...'

Deciding to enlist in the military after being caught pickpocketing an army instructor off a whim. His future instructor Lucy only had recruitment posts which he played off trying to get. Instructor Lucy rolled with his lie and that's how he found himself assigned to her company. It was possibly one of the worst mistakes he had ever made. It tied with randomly picking out a subordinate from a pile of papers because he couldn't be bothered to have someone read them out for him. That's how he got stuck with White. Not to mention going through with a bad plan because of a statue...

'I really am my own worst enemy...'

A loud bird's screech sounded.

'....'

'It's just in my head. It's probably the winds hit the wall at an odd angle causing it to-' 

A roar followed suit after.

Ignavus always knew encountering monsters was a possibility. A possibility he chose to ignore. Now realising he likely couldn't ignore this anymore he goes into action and he tries to make his body move again. He failed. He was frozen stiff in both fear and actual ice as the bad weather had somewhat frozen his hands in the wall.

The wall started shaking as something appeared to repeatedly smash into it.

A monster was scaling the wall unlike he had ever seen. A massive white cat was practically running on the near ninety-degree wall. It's mouth open showcasing its deadly teeth.

'What. the. hell. Is that monster even real!?'

Being in no mood to find out Ignavus continues trying to free his hands. Finally freeing them he pulls himself up a bit.

Which was a good call as talons appear where he previously was.

After almost seeing himself crushed, Ignavus's fear explodes and his mind focuses on one thing.

Running.

Which in this case meant scaling upward. His rational mind once again takes a back seat as he descends into survival mode.

He was not ready to lose his life yet.

35