Chapter 56 ‘The monstrously misguided familiar’
961 6 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Marie>

"Please Marie! You can't give it to them... I won't live if you do!"(N)

Marie gazed down at the little melodramatic ball of cuteness.  The adorable baby was hugging her legs as if she thought she would run away. Facing her little lady when she was being this cute was always hard.

"My lady, please calm down and just tell me where you got this. This item is extremely dangerous, it's emitting trace amounts of death magic"(M)

When the mistress ordered Marie to search her lady's room for suspicious objects, the last thing she expected to find was a playing card. Especially one this dangerous.

"I'll tell you if you promise not to say a thing about it!"(N)

"I'm sorry my lady, but an object this dangerous must be reported!"(M)

Plus, her mistress already knew something was wrong. She would be expecting something.

The adorable baby looked up at Marie with crestfallen eyes. Marie knew that look. If she didn't do something soon, her lady was bound to start crying. Bending down to the height of her lady, Marie tried to gently coax her lady into speaking,

"My lady... I can't promise you; you won't be punished, but if you tell me right now where you got this. I could try convincing the mistress to lighten it"(M)

Marie watched as her lady tightly clutched the helm of her skirt, she looked beyond reluctant to say anything.

"T-they might take away my new clothes or never allow me to leave, or increase my training or-"(N)

Marie raised her free hand and started petting the head of her lady.

"Don't worry... I know that no matter what punishment my hero receives. She will always bounce back"(M)

Marie patiently waited for her lady to response as she continued to pet her head.

"Marie... I'm going to be in so much trouble though..."(N)

The tiny baby embraced Marie as her pitiful voice rang out. Her little hands trying to reach for the card in Marie's own. Marie didn't have to raise her hand far for it to be out of her range.

"Are you sure we can't destroy it? I mean... If we do, I can use my powers to reward you"(N)

Marie let out a sigh. The fact that her lady tried to bribe her was shameful. Although Yalery were widely known for the great gifts they could give, Marie didn't desire such. She was already comfortable as she was. It also didn't help that the person offering her could barely control her powers.

"My lady, never say such words. It is disgraceful. Power should not be given so willy nilly"(M)

"Sorry..."(N)

Marie held her little lady for a few more moments. Long enough to tire out her attempts to reach the card.

"So, are you ready to tell me?"(M)

Her lady gazed at her with a guilt-ridden face.

"N-no..."(N)

"Very well then!"(M)

"W-wait! Don't go!! Please!!!"(N)

As Marie stood up, her lady grabbed on her legs.

"I-I'm not ready! J-just give me two days!? Okay? At least until the whole clothes thing has cooled down!"(N)

Marie felt her eyebrows twitch in response to her lady's resumption of theatrics.

"My lady, please let go before I'm forced to take more extreme measures"(M)

With her free hand, Marie made twisting motions.

"Epp!"(N)

Navy jumped back while donning a fearful face.

"M-Marie, th-that's so unfair! It-It's always the tail..."(N)

Her words reduced to a soft, unhappy grumble the longer she spoke.

"My lady, I am being very fair. I only ever use this method when you leave me no choice. I will have you know that I don't enjoy this anymore than you do"(M)

Marie could tell by the look in her lady's eyes. She didn't seem to believe that for even a second.

'What does she take me for!?'

"Honestly, my lady. You should-"(M)

Marie suddenly felt a gust a wind blow past. A realisation hit her.

'Ah, the card is gone'

"Don't worry guys! I will protect you!!"(V)

Marie watched as the young familiar flew past. The card caught in his talons.

"V-Vultur!? What are you doing! Wait up!!"(N)

Marie watched as her little lady pushed past her and chased after the young familiar.

"Kids these days..."(M)

Creatures like Vultur were really sensitive to such mana. It was no surprise that he categorized that as a danger.

'I wonder, did the mistress know it was death magic?'

Marie begun to follow the children at a leisure pace. From the direction they had taken, they were definitely going to her mistress' room.

 

<Ignavus>

Ignavus couldn't believe just how fast this day had turned terrible.

Running after Vultur had him curse his past self in his heart once more. He knew that hiding the card in the pillow was a poor spot but had been yet to change it. Finding the time and more importantly the spot, was exceedingly difficult. He was hardly ever left alone and finding a place Marie didn't check regularly was impossible... but he still should have done something. Something more. If he had, he wouldn't be in this situation.

"Vultur! Vul, please wait for me!"(I)

Ignavus called Vultur by the pet name he created in order to ensure the bird would respond. The bird for sure heard him as he turned around and winked at Ignavus.

'What does that mean!?'

The longer Ignavus ran after Vultur, the stronger the feeling of impending doom grew. If that card found its way to his queen mother, there would be no coming back from it. Explaining the way he got the card would be the death of him. All that wasn't even considering his Auntie Cura who would undoubtedly hear about it. With how controlling they were...

'Navy! Please help me! We're going to die!'

Ignavus felt the familiar tingle of mana circulating in his body. It felt full of sharp intent. They were not going to mess this up.

'Thank you!'

With renewed vigour, Ignavus continued the pursuit. The power now flowing in him allowing him to close the distance.

Vultur took a hard right into a room that had unusually high arches.

'So close!' 

Ignavus stopped running and allowed his feet to skid across the floor, this ensured a smooth turn.

Entering the room, Ignavus stopped dead in his tracks.

Sat on a massive bed was his queen mother. Her eyes flashed a sickly golden hue as she inspected the black card in hand. Vultur was sat on her lap gazing at Ignavus with eyes begging for praise.

 

"What's up with all this noise so late at night?"(C)

Ignavus was standing in the middle of the room like he had been ordered to when his Auntie Cura walked in. It looked like his humiliation was just starting.

"My daughter just had something she would like to show me, isn't that right Navy?"(G.Q)

"A-ah, yes Mommy"(I)

It was a vain attempt to appeal to his queen mother, but it was not something he was above.

"Oh, what is it?"(C)

Ignavus heard another set of footsteps approaching the room.

"Marie? You're here too?"(C)

"Apologies for my late arrival, these children are too spirited. They ran off before I was even wiser"(M)

Marie gave Ignavus a really long look while saying that.

"No problem, I know first-hand how difficult these children are. Anyway, your just in time to see what my cute little niece has. I bet it'll be interesting"(C)

"I have no doubt in my mind mistress Cura"(M)

'Ugu! Please stop looking at me like that, I'm sorry, okay?'

She couldn't have looked more unamused.

The queen brought the card close to her face before reading out loud,

"A gift to my dearest Navy, can't wait for the date"(G.Q)

'Where does it say that?!'

Ignavus had studied that card meticulously. There was no way it said that... unless the message was hidden with mana. He hadn't gotten a chance to inspect it like that.

'That bastard kid! Is that why he took so long handing me the card?! For something this stupid?!!'

Ignavus couldn't help but clutch at the helm of his skirt while gazing at the ground. It may have been for a short time, but these clothes had truly made him happy.

'I swear... I'm going to kill that kid'

"Date... what did it mean to date again?"(C)

Ignavus lifted his head to two confused expressions. Besides Marie, it didn't seem like they understood what it meant. Maybe he could...

"O-oh, it just... means a time set to play. When I visited Teen and Gol, they gave it to me like a promise item"(I)

Despite Marie giving Ignavus a hard look, she was yet to speak up. Luck might really be on his side.

"If you lie to me again, forget ever wearing those clothes"(G.Q)

Ignavus felt his heartbeat dial up. How did she know he was lying?

"Oh, I remember"(C)

Aunt Cura walked over to his queen mother and whispered something in her ear.

"I see, Navy, explain how you came into ownership of this card. I would like it word for word"(G.Q)

The words spoken sounded cold, real cold.

 

"Oh my gosh! That's so adorable!!"(C)

Ignavus felt like throwing up. All the spinning around with his aunt made him feel horrible. After being placed down back onto the ground, he just collapsed. He had told them everything. In the corner of his eye, he could see Marie connect the dots about his little fairy friend.

"Understand this my daughter, such activities are not meant for children"(G.Q)

Unlike his aunt, his queen mother was fuming.

"I-I understand!"(I)

"I don't think you do"(G.Q)

Ignavus was still on fours trying to recover when he received a warning. A warning to MOVE.

Golden chains sprung from the ground and wrapped around Ignavus. They wrestled him completely down to the ground.

"I should have done this much sooner... don't resist. It will hurt more"(G.Q)

Ignavus tried to raise his head only for it to be forcefully smashed into the ground. The only thing that managed to accomplish was seeing Vultur in a similar predicament. 

'Damn it! damn it!!'

The sound of chains dragging on the ground rang out. Vultur was being pulled to him.

"Since my daughter has proven she cannot be trusted alone, I shall have someone accompany you everywhere you go"(G.Q)

The chains that were dragging Vultur towards Ignavus connected to the ones already wrapped around him. Ignavus watched in mute horror as Vultur seemed to be absorbed into his body. Something within felt like it got heavier.

"You didn't visit her, did you? Look at-"(C)

"I know. I'll take care of it later... for now, let's monitor Navy"(G.Q)

Ignavus felt the chains around him dissipate. He was feeling beyond tired.

"My mistress, should I carry her back to her room?"(M)

Marie's voice sounded quite a bit concerned.

"No, I'll watch her tonight"(G.Q)

Ignavus felt a tail gently lift him off the ground.

"Very well, my mistress. Please, Excuse me"(M)

Footsteps sounded after the words.

"Get out of my room"(G.Q)

"So cold! You wound me sister, but since I am feeling rather sleepy. I'll let it slide"(C)

Ignavus felt his eyes become droopy as he watched his aunt stick her tongue out to his queen mother before leaving.

"I-I refuse... refuse to... to sleep here...!'

Ignavus felt himself starting to fall asleep, he won't be winning this battle.

"You may not see it now, but this is for your own good"(G.Q)

Ignavus felt something lightly touch his head.

"Goodnight, my little one"(G.Q)

 

 

 

27