Case 203: Unfulfilled, unfamiliarity.
868 0 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

''Alright, do it.''

''...''

''Hm? What's wrong?''

''...Nothing.''

Before descending to the mortal realm, we decide that we need some time to get familiar with our bodies first. It's genuinely inconvenient how my power isn't as strong as it was before. 

Aside from the body problems, some things were straight-up sent to the shadow realm as well. My precious, precious railgun—my baby with Sariel, the matching Barretts with Anna, a mountain of divinely charged bullets, bombs, etc.

Those I desperately desire right now, but the most important thing is still the Heart of Fire. Having this alone boosts my strength by a lot.

That is precisely why I'm sitting on Sariel's lap right now, for her to take my heart and turn it into fire. I might have buried her face into my chest and hugged her neck, but that is not important.

As Sariel puts her hand on my back, a brilliant silver magic formula bursts out, and her intense mana begins to sip into my body.

''Mn...!''

I forgot just how exhausting this process was.

Hah... Let's do it.

In the end, it takes Sariel and me a while to set up my heart, and now, I am lying on the bed, sweating and panting out of my mind. I look up at the white sky blankly, questioning my life.

Then, a hand appears in my vision, stroking my forehead and cheek gently.

''Good work, darling.'' Sariel's soft voice sounds from the side.

''You too.'' I reply with a smile. ''Thanks.''

Overall, Sariel's personality has gotten a bit milder, but she still has a lot of haughty moments. When she deals with normal folks, when she displays her knowledge, when she dominates me in bed... It's indeed Sariel.

''You guys, it's your turn.''

Eventually, Sariel turns to my fiancés, who are busy texting on their phones. Apparently, the dialing on our phones works even in Eva's realm, so Liana and Emy are contacting their parents. The other two are probably just playing something.

Hah... I'll probably call my parents later. Too exhausted.

Just like that, I begin to laze around and play with my phone while waiting for Sariel to do her work. She and Liana nearly fight each other after the dragoness says something about my sadist's chest, though.

It takes another hour or so for us to recover our stamina and then another two or three to exercise our powers, 'oiling' our bodies; we finally finish this session and are ready to be sent back.

Standing before the mother goddess of this planet, we await our departure.

Eva looks at us solemnly for a while before nodding her head in approval.

''Do well, Hanako.'' She pats my shoulder. ''And you guys, too.''

''Mhm. Don't overwork yourself, okay?'' I respond.

''Alright.''

With that, Eva retreats her hand. Then, she suddenly smiles a little, raising her hand. 

snap—!

As soon as Eva snaps her finger, our vision goes blank for a moment before the scene changes. Coincidentally, my footing seems to be... Gone.

''Oh.''

We're falling from the sky. What is this? A battle royale?

Whatever.

Looking below as my body rips through the air, I realize that we are right above a humongous range of snow mountains. It's the Infinite Range; how nostalgic...

Well, we need to not die before anything.

''I choose you, Sariel!''

Heeding my call, Sariel transforms into a majestic dragon before putting us on her back. Then, we comfortably glide down, landing on a fresh patch of snow. Hopping down Sariel's body, I stretch out and heartily take in the air.

''Hah... Now then.''

A quick scan around the area is enough for me to decipher that the town on our left is most likely the catkin's territory. The reason I didn't notice right away is because it looks much better than before. No more desert-like land, and green is thriving across the city.

It's a good sign, for sure.

''Do we meet up with the former saints first?'' Liana asks.

''Probably, yeah.'' I reply. ''After that... Hm, I think we should make a trip back to Everwood before exploring Ranka.''

''Yup. My parents are screaming already.'' Liana shrugs.

''Mine, too.'' Emy adds.

''Do you want to go back to Aragon, Tina?'' I turn to my red-haired idol.

''No need. I'd rather be in your hometown.'' Tina says nonchalantly.

''I see... Oh, do you want to go to Everwood with us, Sariel?''

''Sure. It has been a long while since I've visited it.'' Sariel, who has morphed into a human, nods. 

''How long?''

''A few hundred years, perhaps?''

''Ooh... Wait, didn't you meet my parents?''

''I went in undercovered.''

''Ah, I see.''

With that, we begin to make our way toward the catkin's territory while having small talk. On the way, a few familiar presences suddenly grace us.

''You guys...!'' I exclaim, looking at the bald old man and the fox lady in front of me. ''Long time no see!''

''It hasn't been that long, isn't it?'' Fox Saint replies, tilting her head and tail.

''It took us two and a half years, you know?'' I curl my lips up. ''Anyway, seeing that bald head again is reassuring...''

At this, cross veins pop up on the bald old man's forehead.

''You hasn't changed a thing, little brat.''

''Tut, tut, tut. I'm perfect the way I am.''

''Hah...''

After annoying the shit out of our local Santa Claus, we, as a group, have a simple meal together.

''Things went pretty well after the curse was lifted, huh?'' I ask, stuffing a piece of meat into my mouth while looking out the window of the restaurant.

''Yes.'' Fox Saint replies. ''The newly appointed leader is quite the woman.''

''Sara?''

''Mhm.''

''Heh... Never thought that young girl would be a good leader this early.''

''You should meet her once before going back. She does appreciate you a lot.''

''Sure. We're not on a deadline or anything.''

Finishing the meal, our group head to the clan leader's house. As I walk leisurely and look around, I see the town is still being actively renovated, and most of all, there are a ton more people now.

Their faces clearly do seem better than... Wait, they all wore nearly full masks before. What am I talking about?

Nevertheless, we continue our way for a while before the house appears. We don't even need to go in because I can see the white-haired cat girl standing right outside the house, talking to someone.

''—reject them, but don't go out of your way to annoy them. We don't want to make more enemies... Oh?''

''Hi, Sara?'' I wave at her.

''Your Holiness!''

Seeing me, Sara jumps forward, grabs my hands, and shakes them around excitedly while thanking me.

''Well, well, I'm glad you're doing good.'' I pat her shoulder gently.

''It's all because of you... Once again, I would like to thank you and your party for helping us.''

Sara bows her head.

''...We were just doing what we had to. No need for such gratitude.''

''You are really too kind... And... Do you mind if we throw a party to celebrate your return?''

''Ah, I'm planning to come back to Everwood right away. My parents are waiting.''

''I see. Then, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable journey. Also, come over here anytime, Sylvia. We welcome you, as always.''

When Sara says that with a smile, I feel a rush of pride in my heart. It certainly wasn't what I went out of my way to do, but I helped these people. Seeing them happy like this... Also makes me happy.

As I turn my gaze around, I see families of cat people walking around, living their daily lives. The sight is peaceful.

''Hah...''

I see. This is not so bad after all.

27