Chapter 1: The City of Statues
2.7k 75 76
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fifty thousand years ago, eight gods descended upon Earth and modern society. Observing the corruption of both humanity and the planet, the gods resolved to transform this realm into their playground.

The God of Earth and Natural Disasters shattered the land.

The God of Fire and War triggered eruptions in all the volcanoes.

The God of Wind and Freedom swept the earth with tornadoes.

The God of Moon and Night concealed the sun.

The God of Harvest and Plants caused the crops to wither.

The God of Disease, Decay, and Death polluted the air.

The God of Sea and Storm flooded the earth.

The God of Time and Space shattered reality.

After a long period of darkness, the fiery eye ascended to the sky, and the Sun God was born.

Mankind was destroyed, decimated, swept away, and transformed.

For ten thousand years, Earth endured waves of catastrophes before it was entirely re-created and a new Era of Restoration began. Most of the earth was flooded, the old civilization sank to the bottom of the Endless Sea—destroyed, submerged, cut off from reality—and humanity was left with only a few islands to inhabit. Humans had to start anew, building cities, founding states, fighting for resources, and developing.

Ten thousand years and one day later, the Border Mist appeared. The Border Mist transformed everything it engulfed—adding, making disappear, or altering. Ships or entire islands disappeared, only to reappear with other people, races, or monsters.

Thus began a new Era of the States. Over the next twenty thousand years, humans and the newly arrived races struggled to learn how to coexist. Another ten thousand years marked the commencement of the Age of Discovery. Once society had settled down, humans began to invent, sail, explore, and discover new islands to expand to. Finally, a new and ultimate Era emerged: the Age of Steam.

Captain Marik Voss closed the book containing a brief history of the world and sighed. He regretted not collecting more materials, more information, but he also had never imagined that a storm would guide him, his ship, and his crew into the Border Mist. He stood up and walked out of the captain's quarters, only to see a few meters ahead of him, the rest of the ship submerged in thick fog.

He surveyed his surroundings and slowly made his way to the bow. It had been half a month since they had entered the Border Fog. So far, nothing had occurred except their inability to find an exit. Perhaps he should be grateful that the Border Mist hadn't twisted them or erased their existence, but he couldn't shake the thought that escape might remain elusive. Food and water were running low, and he suspected Hann was beginning to show signs of scurvy.

The bow of the ship emerged from the fog, along with two other figures. A young woman, who had just reached adulthood a few months ago, possessed vibrant red hair and green eyes, and her slender, agile figure exuded the energy of youth.

She turned at the sound of the captain's footsteps. "Dad," she addressed Marik.

"Riza. Anything new?" Marik asked his daughter. Beside her, another figure lowered his binoculars and turned back as well. A middle-aged man of moderate stature, with green-blue hair, round glasses, and the demeanor of a scholar. "Nothing, Captain," Klarson sighed, their navigator.

Marik also sighed and looked around the thick fog. If he hadn't sensed the ship's movement and heard the waves, he wouldn't have known they were navigating the Endless Sea.

Marik's gaze wandered for a moment before he nodded. "Carry on. I'm confident we'll eventually find our way out of the Border Mist." As the Captain, he couldn't afford to let himself feel helpless and sought to inspire the crew.

Riza and Klarson nodded, refocusing their attention ahead. Klarson raised the binoculars to his eyes, and the lenses emitted a green glow.

Marik turned and descended below deck to check on the rest of the crew. Hann was the first to glance into the cabin. At fifteen, Hann was tasked with keeping the ship clean. He was a kind and naive young man who had an affinity for the sea and boats. Marik now saw him lying pale in bed, his face glistening with sweat. Sitting quietly beside him was Monk Jilian, their ship's spiritual advisor. This young woman followed the Sun God. Some might have thought, "Why worship the gods who destroyed their world?" For the same reason. If history ever repeated itself, they probably hoped the gods would spare their worshippers. But naturally, that wasn't the only reason. The gods also granted special powers to their faithful worshippers, though not every believer received this honor. Marik couldn't condemn anyone. As a sailor and captain, he naturally worshipped the Goddess of the Sea and Storm, and other religions didn't bother him.

Marik decided not to disturb the boy but was concerned about his health. Scurvy wasn't typically a serious issue, but once they exhausted a certain type of food, it could become life-threatening.

Instead, he headed for the ship's doctor's quarters. He rapped lightly on the door before a hollow voice invited him in. "Doctor Gillet," he greeted the occupant. Doctor Gillet was both human and not. He might have once been entirely human, but now he was mostly machine.

Despite his appearance, he retained his humanity and was an exceptional diagnostician. Doctor Gillet stood and tipped his hat slightly in greeting, a faint metallic sound accompanying his movements. "Captain, what brings you to me? Are you experiencing any discomfort?" Doctor Gillet inquired.

Marik shook his head. "Just checking on the crew. How's Hann?" Gillet reached over and picked up a vial containing a yellow liquid from the table. "It's scurvy. I'm working on a substance that could mimic the necessary vitamins to some extent. It might alleviate his symptoms and hopefully sustain him until we escape the Border Fog." Marik fell silent for a moment and managed a smile. "Good job. You'll see, we'll be out of this situation soon." Doctor Gillet looked at him and simply nodded. Marik suspected that the logical and rational Gillet didn't hold much optimism regarding that prospect.

Marik bid his farewell and proceeded to the mess hall, where the final two members of his crew were situated. An elderly lady Madame Haizel, the ship's cook, and Lady Sherez, the adventurer and cartographer. Both women were casually engaged in card games, using potatoes as makeshift currency.

Sherez tipped her hat and eyed the captain. "Care to join us, Captain?" She invited him to participate.

Haizel grinned. "You might win yourself a fine potato."

Marik found amusement and chuckled. "Does that mean extra mashed potatoes for me?"

Haizel snorted. "Not a chance." Marik settled in with them, playing a few rounds of cards, when suddenly Klarson's voice erupted. "'Land, ahoy!"

Marik, Haizel, and Sherez exchanged surprised glances, hastily abandoning their cards and rushing off.


Marik handed the binoculars to Klarson. "It came out of nowhere. I don't trust it much," Klarson told the captain.

Marik shook his head. "We don't have much choice. The only other option is to keep sailing and hope we eventually get out of the Border Fog." Honestly, even Marik didn't like the idea of landing on an unknown island, and one in the Border Fog at that, but it could be their deliverance. He didn't believe they would get another chance.

Klarson used the binoculars again and watched the distant island with the city; the place was not familiar to him. "Let's head there," Sherez said excitedly. After all, exploration and adventure were something that was in her job description and in her blood.

Marik took the wheel, and they headed towards the city. They sailed for about two hours, with Klarson watching the course and observing the approaching city. Then suddenly, they were out of the fog. They were all momentarily blinded by the sudden sunlight. After weeks lost in the gray darkness, their eyes ached, and it took a while to adjust to the harsh light.

Marik heard and felt the strong, warm air rush past them, straining their sails as the ship picked up speed. Marik blinked for a long time before he got used to it, then stared in surprise at the sudden display of colors. The sky was azure blue with only a few puffy clouds; the sun shone brightly; the sea was blue, and the city before them suddenly looked not gloomy and mysterious, but cheerful, welcoming, and full of color.

Marik looked back and shuddered a little as they saw the rolling gray mist moving away from the wall. The Border Mist surrounded this place, but it wasn't approaching the city, as if there was an invisible barrier preventing it. He heard laughter. He looked ahead and saw the crew, except for Hann, gathered on the bow. The one laughing was Riza. "Finally, the sun!"

"Praise the Sun God," sang the monk Jilian. Marik felt like his fears and worries were left behind in the Border Mist; he felt refreshed.


Marik, however, approached the city with caution. It wouldn't have been the first time something like this had happened. The sudden appearance of the island had been a blessing, but its contents remained uncertain. Many captains and expeditions had disappeared or met their demise in a similar manner. Perhaps the most famous case of such a catastrophe was the discovery of the Island Shapeshifters. At first, everyone had seemed to be human beings in a nice and friendly place. However, it had turned out that they were all Shapeshifters, who gradually killed everyone on the expedition.

The government had ordered the extermination of every living thing on the island because of its status as an island containing vital resources. This directive had led to a protracted and bloody battle. The Shapeshifters had the ability to transform into animals. Eventually, the island was conquered, but at a terrible cost. Many lives were lost, and the worst possible outcome had occurred. Some Shapeshifters had survived and infiltrated the expedition. Consequently, these Shapeshifters managed to escape from Shapeshifter Island and reached the Sea States.

Island continued to be a troublesome place as monsters kept appearing. Although in small numbers, the source and reason for their appearance remained unknown. And this was just one of many instances.

Therefore, Marik worried that this island and city wouldn't merely be a death trap. As they approached, the crew began to move about the deck and started preparing to dock. Marik hadn't planned to use the city's harbor, but intended to stop nearby and utilize the boat for the remainder of the journey.

"I don't see any movement," said Klarson, who was still watching the city and the harbor. It gave him a bad feeling; he couldn't see a single living soul. The harbor and the adjacent streets were empty.

Marik nodded but said nothing. Still, their situation hadn't changed. If this place proved too dangerous, the main thing they needed to do was grab supplies and sail again. "Lower the anchor!" he called when they were close enough. Doctor Gillet easily lifted the heavy anchor and threw it overboard. Riza pulled the chain, and the gears on the masts began to move of their own accord, furling the sails.

Marik let go of the rudder. "Madame Haizel, stay on the boat," he said. The old lady nodded and rolled up her sleeves. "I'll fix you something to eat before you come back and watch Hann," she announced.

Marik nodded, and everyone else boarded the boat and headed for the nearby harbor. Captain Marik climbed the rope ladder to the wooden pier first and immediately readied his sword in one hand and held his revolver in the other. He looked around the empty harbor, which looked well maintained despite its lack of life. The nearby houses looked used; laundry hung in the wind beneath the windows, the potted flowers were fresh and weeded as if someone had taken care of them this morning.

"Maybe they all went somewhere? Maybe some sort of gathering?" Riza suggested, holding a slender rapier.

"If they all went somewhere, it's only over there," Doctor Gillet said, pointing with a mechanical hand. They all looked up at the majestic Gothic palace that towered over the city. Clarson raised to his eye the camera he had hanging around his neck. It was a brand new contraption that used mechanics and blessings to record the actual appearance of things. He took a picture of the deserted harbor and the adjacent buildings before looking at the captain. "We should take a look around the area before we go deeper into the city," he suggested cautiously.

Marik nodded. "Let's split up two by two. Just explore the nearby buildings. Riza, come with me," he said, and Riza sighed, knowing her father just wanted to keep an eye on her in an unfamiliar place, but she refrained from complaining and went exploring with her father.

Marik and Riza walked cautiously to the door of the two-story house. Marik knocked first, but when nothing happened, he gingerly pressed the handle before stepping back and opening the door with the tip of his foot.

The door swung open smoothly, giving them a view of a hallway with a slope to the second floor and four doors, two on each side. Marik and Riza crossed the threshold and listened. It was quiet; the only sounds they heard were the sea and the occasional creaks that houses make—nothing out of the ordinary. Marik headed for the door on his right and opened it in the same way as before, revealing the dining room. Marik shuddered when he saw the dining table set. It looked like someone had been sitting at it just moments ago, eating breakfast contentedly.

He walked over to the table and touched his plate before flinching, finding that the plate and the porridge were still slightly warm. "This is getting really weird," Marik said quietly, instinctively trying not to disturb the silence of the place.

"Something must have happened for them to leave so suddenly... maybe... because of us?" Riza suggested, not being as careful as her father and picking up a piece of soft bread from the table to bite into.

Marik immediately admonished his daughter. "Riza! Are you crazy?"

Riza shrugged as she chewed. "It's just food. What little we have, remember? What can happen if I eat some bread?" She defended herself.

Marik watched his daughter warily, relaxing only after a moment when he saw that nothing was wrong with her. "Don't eat any more until we find out what's going on here," he warned her.

"All right," Riza said as she and her father continued to explore the house but couldn't find anyone. Everything looked like the owners of the house must have left suddenly and quickly; even the foam in the sink with the dirty dishes hadn't come off yet.

Marik and Riza didn't linger any longer and went out, soon joined by the others. "Did you find anything?" asked Captain Marik. Monk Jilian hid her hands in the wide sleeves of her robe and shook her bald head. "Everything looks like people suddenly got up in the middle of their activities and left. Unfinished work, abandoned food, everything left behind. Only people are missing," she replied.

Dr. Gillet nodded slowly, a metallic sound coming from his movement. "Exactly. I saw the baby cradle as well, so the only ones they took with them at most were the ones who couldn't move on their own."

Sherez shifted the hat on her head, smiled, and looked at the cobblestone road that led further into town. "That means we can only keep moving until we find out where everyone is."


The group slowly made their way down the street, keeping an eye on their surroundings. Even with the sea out of sight, they still didn't see a soul.

The town still looked friendly and cheerful. The houses were vibrantly colored, the flowers had a healthy glow, and the shop windows looked inviting. However, what put everyone off was the lack of people and the sounds of the town. Klarson kept picking up his camera and taking pictures, wondering aloud, "This place looks like it's a city from the beginning of the Era of Steam."

"The houses are mostly stone and wood. I don't see much iron and brass. The clothes in the windows are a little out of style. Women don't wear such long skirts anymore unless it's a social event, and those tall hats for men have been out of fashion for a long time. Now they wear bowler hats and half cylinders," he commented.

Sherez smiled. "I didn't know you knew your way around fashion, Klarson." She noticed Dr. Gillet carefully touching his top hat, looking a little unhappy.

"My sister leaves fashion magazines lying around everywhere. One picks up all sorts of things that way," Klarson defended himself. "Plus, notice there are hardly any women's pants anywhere. Nowadays it's normal for women to dress like men."

"You meant to say that nowadays women can dress however they want, right?" Sherez clarified, raising an eyebrow at him.

Klarson sighed and raised the camera to his eyes. "Please spare me your feminist spiels. You know very well I didn't mean it that way."

Riza smiled at their arguing, but then looked up at the palace, which could be seen from anywhere in the city. Every time she glanced at it, she felt as if some invisible pressure was touching her. She had a feeling—no, she was convinced—that something important was there.

"Someone's ahead of us," Dr. Gillet said suddenly. Everyone stopped and stared at the human figure standing motionless in the distance. After a moment's hesitation, they stepped forward again. "Hello? Excuse me! May we trouble you for a moment?" Captain Marik called out, but the figure didn't move.

Everyone tensed, but the person in front of them didn't respond. As they got closer, they realized that she couldn't even respond. It was just a stone statue. The group surrounded the statue; it looked very realistic. She resembled an ordinary woman with her hands clasped in prayer and her eyes fixed toward the palace. "Strange place for a statue," Riza said, touching the statue. The statue felt dry, hard, and cold to the touch.

Sherez alternated her gaze between the statue and the palace before sniffling. "Probably the local ruler's ego is pretty high."

Marik looked at the statue but didn't see or feel anything strange. "Let's move on," he said finally, and they continued moving forward.

After fifteen minutes, they came across another statue, this time of a man with a walking stick and a high top hat, caught in a pose of moving in a hurry with his eyes fixed on the palace.

After a while, they continued on, encountering more statues. Statues of men, women, old, young, different races, and even some that were unidentifiable. Some looked like they were in a hurry, others stood in prayer, and some even appeared to be bowing down on the ground. The only common factor among all the statues was their direction: all faced towards the palace.

The group was no longer as relaxed as before. The statues multiplied in number, forming a crowd rather than a scattered group. Marik and the others felt their hair and body hair stand on end. "This... this..." Riza stammered, her stomach tight with anxiety.

"It's scary," Sherez added. Even her bold demeanor had been replaced by caution.

"They're..." Klarson began to say but didn't finish. Dr. Gillet nodded, and the glass of his eyes darkened slightly. "It seems these could be the missing townsfolk."

He walked over to one of the statues and tapped it with his knuckles. "Fascinating. I wonder what caused their petrification. It must have been sudden and quick, judging by the positions of some of the statues." The usually silent Monk Jilien pulled a necklace with orange coral from her sleeve, on which was suspended the emblem of the Sun God—a central eye surrounded by flames in the shape of a twisted spiral.

"Sun God, Father of Light, Master of Flame, protect us from the evil will and curse of lost souls," she began to mutter a protective prayer. The emblem began to faintly glow with light. She then extended the emblem and touched the statue, but there was no response, and the glowing emblem went out again.

Monk Jilien looked at her holy symbol and shook her head. "The backlash of the holy symbol tells me that it wasn't caused by an evil force," she said. Despite the reassurance, no one moved.

Marik glanced at the sky, which was slowly beginning to darken, and then looked toward the palace. "We'll end this for today and return. We'll grab some food on the way and plan how to proceed."

They all agreed and made their way back to the ship.

Dr. Gillet turned with the others, but his step faltered for a moment. He raised his left hand to his face, noticing a gray smudge that had appeared on the tip of his middle finger. Slowly, he rubbed the spot, and the lights in his eyes dimmed. He glanced at the others and then followed them.


Five months later.

Captain Marik Voss sat at a table in the hold of his ship with his crew.

Marik shook his head. "We tried that. As soon as we entered the Border Mist, we reappeared in the city." He sighed and fell silent for a moment. "Yes, the name certainly fits the place. Naming a city the End of the World is a bit grim." Marik sighed and looked at his daughter. After all, she was the one who had first found the name of the city they had landed in.

"Maybe the locals have a grim sense of humor?" suggested Riza without moving.

Marik grinned. "Maybe. Or maybe the ruler. Who knows?"

"We still haven't explored the palace itself," Doctor Gillet mentioned.

Marik rubbed his eyes with his hand and frowned when he heard a strange sound, like stone scraping against stone, but decided to ignore it. "We got within sight of the place. Do you really want to go in? The area is surrounded by thousands of statues. Whatever happened there is not good."

Monk Jilien had her hands raised in prayer to her god and her eyes closed as she said, "This may be our last chance to break this curse and escape. Even the Sun God can't see us here, even if his eye shines directly on us."

Marik felt fear tighten in his chest. "It's scary... too scary..." he muttered.

"Don't be a coward, Captain! We're all screwed anyway! It's our last chance to save ourselves." Madame Haizel's face wore a permanent scowl.

"The last option we have left," said Doctor Gillet.

"Perhaps..."

"There's still a chance..."

"Dad..."

"Save..."

Marik slowly lifted his head, his thoughts stuck for a moment before straightening up with the sound of crunching stone, taking in the statues of his crew. The voices in his head fell silent, and with a slow blink, he realized that the conversation had never happened. He had only imagined it. It had been two months since the last member of his crew had turned into a stone statue.

It was his daughter who was the last, her expression frozen in fear. Only he remained, and even he didn't have much time left. Part of his body was also turning to stone. He raised his right hand and carefully lifted his left hand, which was already made entirely of stone. The only thing he could be thankful for was that it didn't hurt.

"I'll... I'll go and find a solution," he promised his stone crew and made his way to the deck. He stopped only briefly at Hann's room, who was still lying on the bed. He was the first to be petrified; the curse seemed to take the weakest first, just like the disease. He continued, afraid, but his crew was right. He would find a solution in the palace. He must. There was nothing else he could do.


Captain Marik moved slowly down the street, gazing at the stone road and passing statues without noticing where he was heading. It didn't matter. All the streets eventually led to the palace.

But as the crowd of statues grew thicker, he had to lift his head and maneuver carefully among the standing statues. They all stood silently, facing towards the palace. As Marik approached the grand gate of the palace, he felt his hair bristle and began sweating excessively.

They had attempted to approach the palace several times, but the clamor and fear always deterred them. He tried to approach even after being left alone, but he couldn't. He gritted his teeth and pushed his tired and partially petrified body onward. He stared at the open palace door, but each step became more difficult.

Finally, he stopped just near the door, unable to proceed any further. "Haaa... haaa..." He sighed heavily and stretched his neck as he attempted to move on, but his legs wouldn't cooperate.

"No... no... I couldn't..." he whispered wearily and desperately, thinking of the stony faces of his crew. "I can't do it... I can't..." Marik whispered, squeezing his eyes shut tightly before his knees gave way, and he knelt before the open palace doors. He could see the opulent hall; he could see the staircase that he somehow knew led to his destination. But he couldn't take another step forward. It was as if the palace doors were mocking him. He had what he needed within reach, but he couldn't enter.

Marik remained bent over on the ground for a moment before straightening his back and crying out. "Please! Please! Let me come in! Whoever you are, let me in!" The veins in his neck bulged as he strained his vocal cords and screamed with all his might. "Please! Have mercy! Have mercy, please!" Marik could do nothing but scream and beg the invisible force to let him move. He screamed his pleas until the sky darkened, the street lamps grew brighter, and he went completely hoarse.

Marik stayed collapsed on the ground, whispering pleas with the last of his strength. However, he had already resolved to stay right there, forever begging the unknown force to have mercy on him, even in stone form. Then, as the sun set, he sensed a change. The pressure that had prevented him from moving forward seemed to dissipate.

Marik slowly raised his head and then extended his good arm forward; he had done it! His heart raced in his chest. He crawled forward first before realizing that he had indeed crossed the threshold of the palace gates and began to rise clumsily to his feet. As quickly as he could, which was actually very slowly, he began to climb the stairs.

The stairs ended right in front of another open door that led into the dark throne room. He walked forward slowly, his eyes fixed on the only light in the room. There were two lights, mystically blue and glowing like fire. He passed the bowed statues that eternally uttered an inaudible prayer to their ruler, who sat on a raised throne. Marik stopped below the throne and realized that two blue fires emanated from the eyes of the imposing and mysterious statue sitting on the throne. He could not discern who or what it was, but he could feel with his whole being that it was watching him intently. He slowly knelt down and bowed to the statue of the ruler as humbly as he could.

"Please, Ruler, spare me and my crew. I apologize for disturbing your kingdom. Please have mercy on us mere mortals," he began to plead once again.

The statue did not respond, but Marik kept talking, even though he was hoarse from his previous screams and his vocal cords ached. He knew he had his chance now. He talked and talked, but nothing happened, until he found the right words.

"I'll do anything! I will follow you! I offer you my services, my soul, my blood—whatever you want!" At that moment, a crack sounded through the hall. Marik looked up to see that a crack had appeared on the statue of the ruler. He was startled at first, but then gathered his courage and continued.

"Yes! I will serve you! I will do whatever you want! I pledge on my honor, life, and soul! Just please break the curse on me and my crew!" The crack began to widen until finally a chunk of stone fell from the statue's face. There was silence for a moment before a mysterious and quiet laughter was heard.

"Haha."


Caila panicked for the first few days, then she calmed down and accepted that she had become a statue. She tried to think of ways to free herself, but when the only thing that was free was her thoughts, there really wasn't much she could do.

So she tried to remember. She didn't remember too much, though. It felt like she'd been floating in a sea of darkness for a long time, unaware of anything, including herself, and then suddenly woke up immobilized like a statue. She remembered being a girl, yes... a girl... she had parents and a family... she remembered vaguely. She remembered the big city, when the houses rose high into the sky, the machines... the cars driving through the streets... she went to school. Yes, she did. She remembered school, but she felt uncomfortable at the thought of it, so she decided not to think about that.

As she compared snippets of things from her memory and compared them to what she saw in front of her in the hall, things here seemed flashy but unfashionable. She also remembered going somewhere, going with someone, and then suddenly... it was like a mirror had broken. Everything suddenly shattered, and she remembered feeling as if a huge force had hit her.

Days passed, and Caila slowly pieced together her memories. She knew that she was a normal girl with a normal family who went to school; the knowledge slowly came back to her, but the specific memories eluded her. She knew something bad had happened at school, but then it was good because she had finished school. She started working, but she couldn't remember where. How old was she? Surely in her twenties, maybe more.

Caila soon became bored because even when she tried, her memory wouldn't recover, and really, she had nothing to do. She thought anxiously of television, video games, or at least books. She'd take anything just so she wouldn't have to sit idly like this. Talking to herself in her mind helped a little, but after a few months, she began to fall into lethargy. Eventually, she learned to sleep even when she couldn't close her eyes. Was it sleep at all? Maybe some kind of trance? Meditation? Whatever it was, she was able to shut her mind off for long periods of time. Occasionally she would wake from sleep, but when she found no change, she would return to the peaceful darkness.

Then, one day, there was a change. She heard a sound. Other than the whine of the wind and the distant sound of rain. No. She heard a voice... She heard someone talking! Her mind quickly emerged from the darkness, and she felt confused for a moment before she managed to steady her mind. Then she listened. Yes! A voice! Someone was here!

Caila had to suppress her excitement and listen carefully. The echo distorted the words a bit, but she finally understood what the voice was saying. Was he begging? Begging who? Ah... probably me? Surely, after all, I'm trapped in a statue that sits on a throne, and I'm the only sane one here by far! Why, but can't he come in? Caila thought about it but couldn't think of a reason why the speaker couldn't enter.

'Damn it! I definitely want him to come in! Finally, someone else!' lamented Caila in her mind, trying to urge the person not to give up and come in with the power of her mind.

The voice gradually died down as the day progressed, and Caila was getting nervous. Maybe he would leave eventually? He can't! Damn it, you have to get me out of here! When she couldn't hear the voice anymore, she fell into depression and wished the stranger could come inside. At that moment, she had a strange feeling like the back of her head was itching.

'Huh? What's that feeling?' She thought in confusion because it was the first time she had felt anything in a long time.

However, she stopped thinking about it when she heard a new sound. Footsteps? Footsteps! Did the stranger get in? She watched the door tensely, and if she could, she would have gasped in excitement when she saw a human silhouette appear in the open doorway. As the figure approached, Caila could tell that it was a middle-aged man with red hair and a beard, a strong masculine figure that if he wasn't flushed red now would look dignified.

Caila didn't take her eyes off him. 'Hm... something is strange...' She thought and soon realized what when the man stopped in front of her. The man looked like he was part petrified! Stone had even covered one of his eyes, part of his face and neck, and his hand was already made completely of stone.

'Damn, what is this?' Caila thought in alarm. She inwardly flinched as the man suddenly began to bow before her, promising her mountains and mines just to save him and his crew from the curse.

'Hey, hey, hey! What curse? Is that your petrification? And what am I supposed to do about it? I'm just a statue!' Caila answered him mentally, but all she could do was watch the man plead over and over again.

Gradually, Caila grew tired of begging, and her head was buzzing. 'Can't you say anything else? Ahhh.' Caila grumbled tiredly. The first time any living thing was in her field of vision, and this is how she ends up. When would he figure out that it was useless?

The man finally changed his words, and that caught Caila's attention as she began to feel something. He began to promise her loyalty, a following, a soul. She felt a tingling sensation and somehow knew the man's words were sincere. He meant his words. The tingling from earlier had returned, but now it was spreading from the top of her head to all over her body. Caila began to feel her body!

A crackling sound rang through the hall, and the man fell silent for a moment, looking up at her. He vowed harder, and the cracking continued. Caila finally felt something fall from her mouth. A strange sensation, like peeling a chunk of dried mud off your skin. Caila still couldn't move, but suddenly she felt her lips. She moved them a little, brushing her lips before her mouth spread into a smile.

"Haha." She laughed softly. 'I can get out of here!' She shouted happily in her mind.

76