Chapter 50 — She will come back.
1.1k 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The setting sun cast an orange hue on the forest as golden rays filtered through the pine trees, painting the ground with long, stretching shadows. Birds chirped and fluttered high above in search of their evening meals while a gentle wind rustled the branches.

A lone goblin, covered only in a ragged cloth around his waist, limped through the muddy forest, his bare feet sinking with each step, making unpleasant squelching sounds. His bloodshot eyes darted around wildly, hoping to catch a glimpse of a tasty treat. His yellow teeth flashed as he grinned occasionally for no apparent reason and turned upside down with each growl of his empty stomach.

He walked without purpose, aimlessly wandering around, sniffing the air, and scratching his filthy body occasionally. Even for his kind, he was skinny and small, his back hunched and legs crooked. He held a crudely fashioned wooden spear in his bony hands, using it to support himself as he walked.

A sudden, powerful gust of wind swept through the trees. The goblin's nostrils twitched, sensing the familiar stench of rotten flesh and decay that belonged to his tribe. He recognized the smell of his older brothers and wondered if their hunt was more successful than his. He hoped they had some leftovers for him. Letting out a hopeful giggle, he limped toward the smell, and soon enough, the roar of the river reached his ears. "Oooi, ooooii," he called out, but no one answered back.

As another powerful gust of wind swept through the area, his nose twitched again, this time with a growing sense of unease. Something was wrong. He could sense it, and he didn't like it. His pace quickened, his steps becoming more urgent as he hurried through the muddy ground, his spear clutched tightly in his hand.

The scene that awaited him was the very one he had feared. His eyes widened in horror, a gasp escaping his lips, as he took in the sight of two lifeless bodies sprawled across the ground. His older brothers lay motionless by the river, and a cry of grief escaped from his throat as he sprinted toward them, dropping to his knees in the damp soil.

One brother had a knife sticking from his chest, while the other's head had been brutally smashed, blood and brain splattered all around. His face twisted angrily, eyes narrowing into an avenging glare as he stared at his brothers' remains. "Griugh," he growled, pushing himself up from the ground, his entire form trembling with righteous rage.

The goblin let out a roar, scanning the surroundings, and the strange leather object nearby caught his attention. The creature cautiously approached, poking and sniffing at it, a low growl rumbling in its throat. After a few moments of hesitation, he decided to open the thing to reveal its contents.

As he inhaled, the fresh scent of unspoiled fish filled his nostrils, causing him to drool. He quickly took a bite without unwrapping the cloth the fish was in and chewed so quickly that he didn't even notice it was there. The taste was amazing, the meat juicy and tender, practically melting on its tongue, filling him with an indescribable pleasure. "Uuughh," he groaned happily, taking another bite and chewing it loudly. The loss of his brothers was completely forgotten by now, and his mind was focused only on his meal.

And what a meal it was! He couldn't remember ever eating something so delicious. Each bite seemed to send tingles of pleasure through his body. As he ate, he noticed something strange - a trail of blood leading away from the river, its scent distinct from that of his fallen brothers. Leaning in, he breathed deeply, fascinated by the strange sweetness that filled his nostrils.

The scent was intoxicating. Whatever this was, it had to be even better than the fish — infinitely more so. Dropping the remaining food on the ground, he rose to his feet, his tongue lolling out of his mouth as he followed the blood trail, crimson eyes burning with predatory hunger.

He moved slowly, limping awkwardly. The goblin was convinced the trail would lead him to something delicious. However, he remained cautious as it could also be a trap. His eyes darted around, scanning the area for any signs of danger, but everything seemed peaceful.

"Ooohhh," the goblin uttered a quiet, guttural sound when he stumbled upon the most delicious-looking prey he had ever seen, lying unconscious on the ground. Waiting to be eaten. He couldn't believe his luck and approached the body cautiously. His yellow, pointed teeth flashed in the dim sun as he licked his lips. He got closer, clutching his spear firmly in his hands.

Suddenly, the prey jerked awake, crying out in surprise. It turned around, looking at the goblin with unfocused, cloudy blue eyes. "Asty? Is this you?" the delicious-looking creature mumbled something incomprehensible, and the goblin didn't understand a word. However, it did not matter; the delicious-looking prey was now his.

He lifted his spear, his muscles tensing as he thrust the wooden shaft towards the chest. The shock and terror on the prey's face were so sweet and satisfying. "Hihihi," the beast giggled, pulling his spear and thrusting again, his heart pounding excitedly.

"Please! I beg you, stop!" the delicious-looking prey screamed in pain and begged for mercy. But the creature didn't care. Its pleas meant nothing to him. All he wanted was the sweet taste of its flesh. Again and again, the more he stabbed the creature, the louder its screams became and the more satisfied he felt. The prey repeated the same words, "Asty" and "Silvia," over and over, desperately calling out to someone, its voice growing weaker with each passing moment.

After a while, the screams ceased, and the prey struggled no longer. The goblin pulled his spear out, observing one final convulsion coursing through the lifeless form. Crouching down, he tore into the still-warm flesh, clawing and ripping it apart. 

Driven by an insatiable hunger, the goblin's stomach growled for more. The outside world faded away, leaving only the primal need to consume. Relentlessly, he continued to tear into his prey, consuming its tender flesh and soft skin with an insatiable appetite. He stuffed himself with large chunks of meat, juices streaming down his chin and spattering onto the ground below.

Suddenly, the half-eaten face of his prey stirred to life and looked directly at him. The blue eyes didn't blink due to the lack of eyelids, piercing into the goblin's very being. "Aster..." the prey whispered, though its lips remained motionless.

"Griuh!" The goblin cried out in shock, losing his balance and landing on the ground with a thud.

"Aster..." the strange word was repeated, growing stronger.

An intense, rhythmic pounding reverberated through his mind, like the amplified beating of a heart. The sound was deafening, filling his ears with a painful ringing. "Aster!" the prey shouted, causing the goblin to cover his ears and scream in agony.

"ASTER!" the voice yelled again incredibly loud, and the goblin couldn't bear it anymore. His eyes rolled back as darkness enveloped him, his consciousness surrendering to the welcoming silence.

 

"WAKE UP!" The voice echoed within the depths of his mind.

...

 

[Aster]

The boy jolted upright, gasping for air as his body trembled uncontrollably. Cold sweat glistened on his skin, and his chest heaved with each ragged, erratic breath that escaped from his lips. The thunderous beat of his heart echoed within his head. His golden eyes darted wildly, taking in his surroundings. A disgusting taste of raw meat lingered on his tongue.

"Aster," a sweet, gentle voice called from his right.

A delicate hand reached out, tenderly brushing his cheek and wiping away the tears he did not know had been falling. He blinked them away, revealing a young girl with long, messy silver hair and bright, golden eyes. The flickering flame illuminated the naked, pale skin of her shoulders while the rest of her body was covered with a blanket. "Are you okay?" she asked, her soft, warm fingers tracing his cheek and brushing his damp, silver hair away from his forehead.

— "S-Silvia..." he stammered, his throat parched, his voice hoarse and barely audible.

"It's alright, Asty," Silvia replied calmly, her tone soothing as her soft hand cupped his face. "It was just a nightmare."

— "Just a... nightmare?" he mumbled, his heart still pounding fiercely, his fingers gripping the blanket as if his life depended on it.

"Yes, just a bad dream," Silvia affirmed softly, drawing closer and enveloping his trembling shoulders in a warm embrace. She began to rock him gently back and forth, her bare chest pressing against his, her hands stroking his back. "Shh... Shh... Shh," she hushed, whispering into his ear. "I'm here."

Aster couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't just a nightmare. The taste, the smell, and the sensations — were far too real. The memory of warm blood flowing down his throat and the feeling of his teeth tearing through raw flesh made his stomach churn, and he could barely suppress a gag. "S-Silvia," he whispered, burying his face in his hands. "What time is it?"

"It's a little past noon," she replied, her head resting on his shoulder, her cheek pressed against his neck. "I woke up and saw you tossing and sweating, so I decided to wake you up," she said, kissing his skin softly. "You were mumbling a lot. I couldn't understand what you said, but it didn't sound like a nice dream."

'Noon? It was closer to evening in my dream,' Aster thought, his mind racing. 'The creature... Was it a goblin? It was eating Mom, and she was screaming my name. Is this some kind of warning?'

"Asty, you're shivering," Silvia said, her soft, warm hand running up and down his back, her fingers gently tracing his spine. "Do you want to tell me what it was about?"

— "I..." he hesitated. He was still trying to process the nightmare, unsure what it was. Everything was so vivid and realistic that he couldn't shake the feeling that it was more than just a dream. 'What if something happened to Mom? Or will it happen to her?' he wondered.

"Asty?" Silvia asked quietly, breaking the hug and looking him in the eyes.

— "I... um..." Aster muttered, his eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. Taking a deep breath, he exhaled slowly, feeling his pulse return back to normal. "It... I didn't feel like a dream..." he paused, collecting his thoughts before continuing. "I saw mom dying in the forest, seen a creature that was... eating her. There were two bodies by the shore... It felt real. Way too real." He looked at Silvia, his golden eyes brimming with terror. "What if it was a warning, a sign? What if something has happened to her?!" His voice wavered with fear.

"Try to calm down, Asty," Silvia said reassuringly. She held his hand and gently squeezed it. Maybe you just had a bad dream because you are worried about her. It's been a while since she went out fishing, after all," she paused, looking down. "I... I had similar nightmares, too... Sometimes, I still do. Every time Mom went out alone, I always feared that something terrible might happen to her..." Silvia raised her head, her eyes meeting Aster's. "But no matter how terrible my dreams were, she always came back safely."

— "Yeah... maybe you are right," he muttered, his gaze falling to the floor. "But she told me she'd return before noon, and she's still not here..."

"Don't worry. I'm sure she's alright. Maybe she's just gotten out of practice, and it takes longer to catch something, or maybe there's so many fish that she can't bring herself to leave the river," Silvia smiled, trying her best to reassure her brother.

Aster sighed, running his fingers through his hair.

"Mom will be back soon, just like she always does. Don't worry, okay?" Silvia said, wrapping her arms around him and kissing his cheek. "How about this? I'll make some tea for the two of us. Would you like that?" she asked, whispering in his ear.

Aster nodded slightly, smiling. "Okay," he agreed. "That would be nice."

"I'll be right back," she kissed his cheek again, then rose to her feet and left the bed. Her long, silver hair cascaded down her bare shoulders and back, swaying gently as she moved around, preparing two cups. Her smooth, pale skin reflected the dim light of the fire, her small, round buttocks bouncing softly with each step.

Aster stared blankly at the ceiling, his mind racing with countless thoughts. He couldn't get rid of the horrible image of the creature feasting on his mother's lifeless corpse. He wanted to believe his sister, desperately so, but it was hard to do when he could still remember the stare of his mother from the dream and the taste of her raw flesh on his tongue.

...

 

Two hours passed, and there was still no sign of their mother. The boy and the girl waited anxiously by the fire, staring at the door and occasionally glancing at each other, their hearts filled with worry.

Aster sighed, his brows furrowed and his golden eyes not leaving the entrance. "I'm going outside," he finally said, rising to his feet. He grabbed a coat and put it on, buttoning it up quickly.

"We should wait," Silvia argued, standing up as well. "She will come back. We just have to wait a little bit more."

— "She promised to return before noon. Something must have happened to her. If my dream was indeed a warning, she is not okay, and we must find her," Aster reasoned. "We absolutely can't wait until the evening."

Silvia hesitated for a moment, biting her lower lip nervously. "Mom is so gonna be mad at us," she muttered, picking up her clothes and dressing herself.

— "Better be safe than sorry," he mumbled, helping her button her coat.

"Yeah..." Silvia said as she put on her boots. "We need something to protect ourselves in case those creatures are really nearby." She walked to the kitchen corner and picked up a small knife.

— "Good idea," Aster nodded in approval. "Do we have another one?"

"I don't think so," Silvia said, looking around. "Mom has her knife with her."

— "Alright..." the boy looked around, thinking about what could be used as a weapon instead. "Let's sharpen a stick then," he rushed towards the pile of wood near the fireplace and selected a suitable stick. It was not particularly long, but it would do. Taking the knife from Silvia, he started sharpening the end.

— "Could you write a note for Mom in case she returns before us? If I'm wrong, she will freak out," Aster asked, continuing his work. "Tell her we will walk west to the river, then follow the shore looking for her and return home from the east."

"Okay," Silvia nodded, gathering a piece of bark and charcoal from the floor. Sitting down on the bed, she put the bark on her thighs and began writing, her lips moving silently as she formed the letters, her brow furrowed in concentration.

As Aster worked, his mind kept wandering back to the nightmare, unable to get rid of the image of his mother's face. He tried to focus on anything else, but his thoughts always drifted back to her. 'She is going to be okay, isn't she?' he asked himself repeatedly, his hands moving automatically. Minutes passed, and his anxiety grew, and his heartbeat quickened.

"Done!" Silvia exclaimed, lifting the bark above her head, snapping Aster from his thoughts.

— "This should work," he said, blowing at the sharpened stick in his hands. The tip of the stick was now sharp enough to pierce the skin, although he wasn't sure if it would be enough for the creature he saw in his dream. He approached his sister and returned the knife back to her.

Silvia carefully placed the message on the bed, propping it against a blanket so the writing would be noticeable. Rising to her feet, she adjusted her coat and looked at Aster, her eyes filled with worry. "Are you sure about this?"

— "If I am wrong, at worst, we will get spanked again," he said, forcing a smile. "But if there's even the slightest possibility that Mom is in danger, we have to go."

Silvia nodded silently, looking down at her feet; her fingers tightened around the knife handle. Taking a deep breath, she gathered her courage and met his golden gaze, her eyes filled with determination. "Okay, let's go. We will find her, and she will totally smack your butt for freaking out just because of a bad dream. I will laugh watching you suffer for being such a doofus. Then, I will receive my spanking, and we will all go to bed and forget about this day. End of the story."

— "That's the spirit," Aster chuckled, grabbing her hand and squeezing it lightly. "Let's go. We can't waste any time."

Two children walked to the entrance and pushed the wooden barricade open. A cold gust of wind blew in, causing the flames in the fireplace to dance wildly.

— "Now, let's be quiet, just in case," Aster whispered, closing the door behind them. He looked around, the light of the midday sun reflecting off the melting snow. The wind blew gently, the trees swaying slightly, their branches rustling quietly.

They walked silently through the pine forest for a while. This entire time, Aster held the spear in his right hand, his knuckles turning white with the force of his grip. He glanced back occasionally, making sure nothing was following them. The boy inhaled deeply, his nostrils filling with the smell of pine needles, and his ears caught the faint sounds of rushing water.

Silvia was beside him; her cheeks were flushed red, and her golden eyes darted nervously. The knife in her hand trembled slightly as her fingers clenched the handle tightly. "We're close," Aster whispered to her. She nodded in reply, her pace quickening slightly.

After a few minutes, they arrived at the forest's edge, where the river roared by. They stood motionless for a moment, looking around. There was nothing. There was no sign of their mother or any danger, but it was to be expected. They had to walk along the river and look for any signs of her.

— "I'll go in front. You check our back. Make sure nothing sneaks on us," Aster said, his voice barely audible. Silvia nodded in agreement; her lips pressed together tightly. They started to walk alongside the river, their heads constantly moving around, scanning the surroundings for any danger.

They continued to move cautiously. Slowly but surely, the sun moved across the sky, and the lower it got, the more worried Aster became. At some point, he urged them to run, desperate to find their mother in time and fearing the worst. Their heartbeats echoed loudly in their ears, the wind blowing and making their clothes flutter.

Suddenly, Aster's breath caught in his throat as he spotted something. He immediately crouched and grabbed Silvia's hand, pulling her down with him. He looked at his sister, met her golden eyes, and moved closer, pressing his lips to her ear. "Over there," he whispered, pointing ahead with his finger.

In the distance, there was the exact same shore he saw in his dream — the same boulders, the same muddy ground and shoreline, the same trees... He swallowed hard, his palms growing sweaty. "This is the same place I saw in my dream," he breathed, his voice shaking slightly.

Her brow furrowed as she glanced ahead, but she saw nothing unusual. "Are you sure?" she whispered back.

Aster nodded silently, his eyes never leaving the spot. It was exactly the same place he saw, right down to the details.

"Alright, let's walk slowly. Keep an eye on the rocks. It's easy to hide there," Silvia said, clutching her knife and rising to her feet.

He did the same, holding the spear firmly in his hands, following his sister. Their steps were slow and cautious. They moved forward, their eyes darting around, expecting an attack at any moment. Step after step, they drew closer; the ground felt squishy beneath their boots. Soon enough, the foul smell reached their nostrils, making them glance at each other nervously.

"Oh no..." Aster muttered, his legs threatening to give way under the weight of what he saw. A nauseating feeling surged up his throat, and he fought hard not to gag, swallowing the bitterness back down. Right in front of him was the same scene from his nightmare. Two dead bodies were lying on the muddy ground in the same pose. The first had a knife sticking out of its chest, and the other had a smashed head, the blood and brains splattered all around.

Silvia covered her mouth, her face turning pale, and her golden eyes widened. "No... This can't be..." she gasped, taking a step back, her entire body trembling. Looking at her little brother, she whispered, "You were right..." tears welled in her eyes.

Aster glanced around and saw Mom's backpack lying on the ground. He rushed over, crouching next to it, and opened it.

— "It's full of fish," he muttered, breathing out a sigh of relief. 'We're not late... We are not! Mom must be still alive...' Aster thought, noticing a trail of blood leading away from the bodies.

"Mom is alive," Aster whispered to his sister as he put on the backpack. Silvia didn't respond, though. Her attention focused on the dead bodies. She looked at them in horror, unable to move.

— "Look at me," he raised his voice, approaching her. Silvia snapped out of her thoughts, glancing at her little brother, his golden eyes meeting hers. Her lips trembled as she struggled to form a response, but the words died in her throat. Aster took his sister's hand, squeezing it gently. "Mom is alive. I know she is. We will find her, I promise you. But I need you to stay focused so we can make this happen."

"O-okay," she nodded weakly, wiping her tears with her free hand.

Aster released her hand and approached the dead creature with a knife still embedded in its chest. "Alright... We need to take the knife, I guess," he muttered. "Could you look around and see if there is anything else that Mom could have dropped?"

"Yeah..." Silvia answered, sniffling as she began searching the ground.

— "Ugh... This smell is awful," he groaned, trying to ignore the awful scent of blood and feces. Kneeling beside it, he carefully grabbed the knife handle, his fingers gripping it tightly. Making a disgusted face, he pulled it out with a sickening sound of ripping flesh and looked at the blade. The crimson color almost made him vomit.

"You should clean it in the river," Silvia suggested quietly as she examined the ground around the bodies.

"Mhm... Yeah," Aster said, rising to his feet. He walked over to the river, holding the bloody knife. Kneeling by the shore, he dipped the blade into the icy waters and started washing it carefully, his hands trembling. His eyes kept glancing around, looking for any movement, but luckily, everything remained quiet.

"Found anything?" Aster asked, hearing his sister approaching him.

"Yes, the bow was lying near the rock in the mud. I need to clean it as well," she answered, walking over and kneeling next to him. She dipped the bow into the water, rubbing it carefully, her fingers sliding across the wood.

"Good," he replied, scrubbing the last bits of blood from the knife. "We need to hurry," Aster muttered, glancing at the sky. "Let's go."

"Okay," she said, getting up and putting the bow over her shoulder. They hurried away from the shore, following the trail. They moved through the forest; the further they went, the heavier the silence became. Every little noise seemed amplified, every shadow cast by the sun more ominous. It felt like something was watching them, but there was nothing. Nothing but silence.

Suddenly, Aster stopped, and his eyes widened. He was looking at the same spot from his nightmare — the place where the creature was eating their mother. The memory made him freeze, paralyzing him with fear. Fear of finding his mother dead. "Asty?" Silvia whispered, stopping next to him. Her breathing was fast and shallow, and sweat covered her pale skin.

Her voice broke him out of his trance, and he glanced at her. "We are close... Be ready," he whispered, tightening his grip on the knife in one hand and the wooden stick in the other. His heartbeat accelerated as they neared the spot.

And then, he froze.

His mother was lying on the muddy ground with an unnaturally bent knee and a long, wooden spear embedded deep in her thigh. Her silver hair was covered with mud and blood. Blood was everywhere. Her breath was coming out in shallow gasps.

"Mom!" Silvia cried, running towards her. Aster followed close behind, his feet sliding through the wet soil. They reached her quickly and knelt by her side, their faces filled with worry.

Nivalis' blue eyes moved slightly. "Hey, mom..." Aster smiled faintly, fighting back the tears.

"Asty? Is this you?" Nivalis whispered hoarsely, her eyes unfocused.

An oily portrait of Nivalis lying on the ground, in the mud. Blood covering her clothing and hair.

"Yes, it's me and Silvia," he responded, cupping her cheek with his trembling hand.

"Thank goodness..." Nivalis mumbled, feeling her son's hand on her face as she closed her eyes.

Silvia leaned closer, her fingertips gently grazing her mother's cheek. "Just hold on, Mommy. We'll take care of you," she whispered, her voice cracking with emotion.

"My sweet little angels..." Nivalis murmured, her voice weak and strained. She attempted a smile, but her lips trembled, and tears streamed down her face.

— "Everything will be all right, Mom," Aster assured her, examining the makeshift tourniquet wrapped around her leg. With all the strength he could muster, he tightened the knot, then proceeded to wind the remaining length of fabric around her thigh. Each knot he tied was tighter than the last, further constricting the blood flow. Nivalis' face contorted in agony, but she didn't utter a sound. "We need to carry her back to the cave somehow. It is not safe here," Aster said, and his sister nodded in agreement.

Together, they attempted to lift their mother from the ground, but the moment they tried so, Nivalis screamed in pain. "Please... don't..." she pleaded, her voice laced with desperation. "It's not safe for you to be here... You should go... But before you do... There's so much... I want to tell you both... Please remember-"

— "No," Aster interrupted her. "No, Mom. Not happening. We will not leave you here," he shook his head, his jaw clenched. Silvia's lips trembled, and tears flowed uncontrollably down her cheeks as the little girl realized her mother was trying to say goodbye.

Rising to his feet, Aster looked around, desperately searching for a solution. After a moment, he made his way to a young pine tree and began cutting off its branches. "Silvia, use your knife to cut off the larger branches from that tree over there. We'll use it to drag her," he ordered, continuing to chop the wood with his knife.

Silvia wiped her tears from her face, sniffling as she stood up and made her way to the tree. Her hands trembled, and her movements were clumsy as she began working. Once enough branches were gathered, Aster removed his upper clothing, taking off his tunic and putting his coat back on.

He quickly bound the base of branches together, all facing the same direction, using his tunic. The other end was left loose, creating a soft, cushioned place for their mother to lie on, allowing her to be dragged easily. The layer of pine needles underneath should provide some protection against the bumpy road back. It was primitive, but it would do the job.

"We are going to move you now, Mom. Please try to endure the pain. Just for a little while," Aster said, crouching beside her and meeting her gaze. "Alright?"

"No... No need... honey." Nivalis protested weakly, her eyes half-closed. After one ragged breath, she continued. "I-I won't... make it."

— "You will make it. If you feel like dying so much, we will stay here and wait for the creatures to kill us as well," Aster said coldly, his golden eyes glaring at his mother, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Alright..." Nivalis whispered weakly, sighing in resignation. "A-alright, love."

"Good, now take a deep breath," he instructed.

Nivalis closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. "One... two... three!" Aster's voice echoed as he and his sister began pulling their mother on top of the makeshift stretcher.

Nivalis screamed like never before, the excruciating pain spreading through her entire body. Tears rolled down her cheeks, and she bit her lip so hard that it bled. The metallic taste filled her mouth, and her vision blurred as the world spun around her.

"Done," Aster breathed out, looking at his mother. Nivalis was gasping for air, her breath coming out in ragged gasps. "Are you alright?" he asked, kneeling beside her and taking her hand.

"I... I'm fine," Nivalis whispered, trying to give a reassuring smile.

"We have to hurry," he said, glancing at the sky. The sun was already beginning to set, and the light was fading fast.

"Let's go," Silvia said, picking up the tied branches of their makeshift stretcher. Aster nodded and did the same, and together, they started dragging their mother through the forest back to the cave. Each bump made Nivalis whimper and sob despite her best attempts to remain quiet.

The children moved through the forest as quickly as they could, their bodies tense and muscles aching. As the sky darkened, the shadows grew longer and deeper, making the kids quicken their pace. Their feet pounded the ground like there was no tomorrow.

The wind grew stronger as night fell, howling and whistling through the trees. The cold air made them shiver, especially Aster, who was without his tunic. But the children pressed on, not slowing their pace even once. They were determined to save their mother's life.

Their footsteps echoed in the darkness, the only sound they could hear besides the wind.

"How much longer?" Silvia asked, her breath coming out in short gasps. Despite the cold, her skin was drenched with sweat.

The moon appeared through the clouds, illuminating the forest briefly before vanishing again, revealing only a glimpse of their surroundings. It was hard to tell their exact location, but judging by the position of the moon, they were walking in the right direction this entire time, so the cave should be nearby.

— "We should be close. Let me know if you spot anything familiar," Aster replied, his chest burning with each heavy breath. He stole a glance back at their mother and saw her lying motionless with closed eyes and a much paler face than before. 'She looks terrible,' he grimaced. For a brief moment, he saw her chest moving, but he couldn't be sure. He could only hope she was still breathing. "Keep going," he urged his sister, forcing himself forward as well, his legs aching, begging him to stop.

"Hihihi," the high-pitched maniacal laugh reached their ears from somewhere behind, a sound that made them stop and grab their knives.

30