Chapter 31.
233 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sounds. Oh god, the sounds, Eva had never heard something as hot as the moans that Viola made. She had been missing out this whole time. Eva could get lost in those sounds, and she certainly would… when they had time.

 

They were swimming now, keeping an eye out for food. Eva didn’t have any grand plan on where to go but this way was further from Talbot so it seemed like their best option out of none.

 

Viola had perked up a little after they… spent some time together. But Eva could tell she wasn’t doing well. To be back in what should have been her natural habitat only for it to be all wrong could not be easy.

 

Unfortunately, Eva really had nothing to offer. All they could do was keep swimming and hope that wherever they ended up Eva would recognize it. It was after all entirely possible that Eva was wrong, what did she know really?

 

Still… something told her she was at least partially correct. The question was though, why would Talbot build his floating mansion in the Caribbean? Or really… why would his father?

 

To lie low? Not be regulated as much? The Caribbean was a very gentle sea, maybe better for construction. Maybe it was just to get them away from San Diego. Eva had no idea.

 

Eva could swear the ocean was lightening, which she guessed meant the bottom was getting shallower. Even entirely lost it was a good sign. She was by no means an expert in geography but she was well-versed enough. If they could find somewhere she recognized then she could pinpoint their approximate location, if they couldn't they could follow the coast until she could. Even what land looked like would give her a clue, even an unfamiliar name was more of a clue than nothing.

 

They stopped occasionally for food as they swam, only slowing down in the early morning to get some rest. By now Eva really really missed cooked food, she wasn't going hungry and swallowing fish whole wasn't as gross in a way but eating was entirely different from before. It was entirely for energy, no flavour or culture.

 

With all the swimming they were doing Eva was having a hard time not thinking about everything she had given up. As far as everyone at home was concerned she was probably dead. Considering how she had left things with Felisha they would probably be losing their mind trying to puzzle things out, they were not the type to simply move on.

 

Her mind often returned to her mother, now alone and without any support. Eva could only hope she was alright. Not knowing was driving her crazy and pissing her off. Even now, she was still trying to look after her mother. It was just what she did and now she couldn't.

 

Eva also just missed being on land. She certainly enjoyed the freedom of the water but it required constant management. On land, she could just lie down and do something else. Or cuddle with Viola and chat. In the water, she couldn't be close to Viola, not without consistent effort. Not to mention the constant vigilance required to make sure they didn't drift apart. Nothing was static in the ocean. It was constantly changing.

 

She certainly could be physically close to Viola, she could even fuck Viola but her mind was used to land still and it wasn't an environment that allowed them to sleep side by side easily. Hell, they still couldn't really communicate most of the time as Eva spoke very little orca.

 

She was beginning to understand Viola’s frustration. It was hard for them but they were still half human. Being the only blackfish among orcas had to be quite lonely.

 

Part of it was how dark the ocean became at night. It was far lighter than the abyss but it brought back memories she was not keen to remember. The period, which had felt like an eternity, where Viola carried her through the void. Eva shuddered at the thought. The only thing stopping the night from being a nightmare was the stars and moon. It made sense that they were how blackfish navigated. There was no light pollution out here, it was truly beautiful on a clear night.

 

As morning rolled around they went hunting. Eva had gotten quite good at smacking fish with her tail and it had become a game. The two of them keep score. Viola of course always won and Eva was pretty sure Viola was even going easy on her. Still, it was good practice and she felt like she was adapting well. Viola’s mood had continued to improve, showing Eva how she lived in the ocean seemed to really make her happy. Eva absorbed every detail and piece of information.

 

As the sun began to rise in the sky Eva saw a shadow in the distance. Land, there was land in the distance. She whistled with excitement, waving at Viola to look. It was a spec on the horizon but it was certainly land. She couldn't see the bottom of the ocean where they were but her suspicion about the colour had been correct.

 

“Land!” she cheered.

 

“Look,” Viola said pointing. “Boat.”

 

Eva followed her finger to several other specs, these closer than the land beyond. Not only had they found land but they had found civilization. 

 

“Thank the stars,” Eva laughed.

 

Viola smiled, “You can… bring us home now?”

 

“Maybe, I need to get closer, way closer. I… I’m gonna have to get close enough to look for signs or something explaining where we are.”

 

“You… will be seen, water is… clear, shallow,” Viola replied, not liking that idea.

 

“I… fuck, I don’t have a choice,” Eva sighed.

 

Viola nodded slowly, “I will come.”

 

Eva certainly was not going to disagree, she would much rather go together. She didn't like this any more than Viola, being so exposed to humans… it didn't go well if the past few months had taught her anything. As they swam closer Eva began to notice more boats, small fishing vessels, some small yachts, and even a motorboat pulling someone paragliding in the morning light. 

 

The human life around them made Eva nervous and they were still quite far from shore. Getting close unnoticed would be… really challenging. A shriek loud enough to reach them underwater caught her attention before a human landed in the water and others cheered. Humans partying on a boat. Eva rolled her neck and kept swimming, she did not like this at all.

 

Viola whistled at her quietly and swam to her side, trying to explain something. Eva blew out bubbles and shook her head, pointing to the surface. Viola grabbed her arm and pulled her back down with a vehement shake of her head.

 

It didn't take long for Eva to get it. Dark shapes in the water would be strange, but heads breaking the surface would be an immediate attraction of attention. Getting close to shore wasn't going to work, everything was too bright, clear and open.

 

The boats had a variety of names, some in English, others in Spanish and some she wasn't sure about. She clicked in frustration and kicked away from the boats. They could probably circle around. Viola whistled inquisitively but followed her lead.

 

Off from the other boats was a small fishing boat, a small sunroof covering it, its name reading “Charito.” What really caught her attention however was the little girl leaning over the side to fill a small plastic bucket with water. She couldn't have been older than eight. While showing themselves to humans would be dangerous, maybe not all humans.

 

Eva approached close to the surface, accompanying the little girl was an older man, his hat over his face as he napped in the sun. If they were quiet they could maybe get the information they needed. Eva’s Spanish was rusty but she could get by, assuming Charito was Spanish and not something else similar.

 

She motioned to Viola and pointed to the girl. Viola cocked her head, curious. Eva did her best to mime out her plan and Viola seemed to understand. They approached from the other side, not wanting to be spotted by anyone but the girl.

 

“Mira, Papa, sirenas!” the little girl cried, pointing directly at them as Eva tentatively breached the surface.

 

“Cállate, Maya, estoy durmiendo,” the girls father grumbled.

 

“Shhhhh,” Eva whispered, pressing a finger to her lips as she swam closer. “Susurro, Maya.”

 

Maya’s eyes went wide as she leaned forward out of the boat as if to get a better view. Her large brown eyes were almost comically large. “¿Habla español?”

 

“Un poco,” Eva smiled. Viola bobbed her head above water, glaring at the girl with far more suspicion. 

 

Maya seemed just as shocked to see Viola. “¿Cómo eres real?”

 

“What is it saying?” Viola asked, a hint of distaste in her voice. Eva glanced at her with surprise, she hadn't expected Viola to dislike children. “What? It is… weird.”

 

Eva snorted, unable to help herself.

 

“You speak English too?” Maya grinned, her English heavily accented. She guessed that wherever they were, English was not the primary language.

 

“Yes, Hi. What country is this?” Eva asked politely,

 

“This country? It is Aruba,” Maya said, pointing towards land.

 

“Aruba?” Eva muttered and the girl nodded. Eva sifted through her mind trying to place it, it sounded familiar. Then it clicked, Mike had gone to Aruba with his family last year, that's why he hadn't been there the first few weeks when she started. “And which way is Venezuela?”

 

“Eh… more that way,” Maya replied, still pointing towards the island.

 

“Thank you,” Eva sighed. They were in the South Caribbean Sea. They weren't even close to the Gulf of Mexico. San Diego was far far North from there not to mention on the other side of the land mass. Their only option was to swim towards the poles and circle around like she had feared. Who knows how long that would take or if they could even do it?

 

“You are very beautiful,” Maya marvelled.

 

“So are you,” Eva smiled, remembering that she had an audience.

 

“Do you live in a house down there with your sister?”

 

Before Eva could reply Viola huffed. “Not sister,” she growled, nuzzling into Eva’s neck, “Mine.” A weird show of possession that was out of character though Eva didn't mind, she normally would have hated possessiveness but she had to admit she found it a little hot from Viola. Her first thought was that Viola was jealous except this was a young child so that didn't make any sense.

 

She shook it off, she had to focus. Except she didn't really have any more questions, she knew where they were now and she was no closer to getting them home.

 

“You’re also very pretty,” Maya told Viola. Viola just clicked at her.

 

“Well… it was very nice to meet you,” Eva smiled apologetically.

 

Maya’s face fell. “You are going already?”

 

“I’m sorry, we have a lot of swimming to do.”

 

“Ok,” she replied with disappointment. “Will you come visit again?”

 

Eva didn't know what to say when faced with this heartbroken child. This may not have been the best decision after all. She had no idea how to let this child down gently.

 

“No,” Viola replied for her far too bluntly before dragging Eva back under the water.

 

Eva didn't really have a chance to protest so instead followed Viola away from the boat. Something was definitely up with Viola. Of course, there was still the problem of what the hell they were going to do. Once they were far enough away they could have a proper conversation. She hated that she only had unfortunate news to give. She needed to think, but first, she really needed to sort Viola out, her worry right now was far too distracting and Viola's determination to get them out of there was… strange.

 

Sorry, Maya, I hope you move on with your life and don't spend it trying to hunt us down.

If you enjoy what I create I recommend you check out my Patreon. You can gain:

  • Access to several chapters of my current story early.
  • Access to all unpublished chapters of unfinished arcs, currently over a dozen. 
  • Patreon exclusive content.
  • Fancy discord roles for my server and access to exclusive channels.

If you like what I make then please consider supporting me, it means a lot and helps keep me writing.

13