[8] Augmentation
2.1k 8 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“L-Lead the way? …How?!” Jeanne cried out frustratedly. 

“You know… you’re deep in the heart of a military installment? Unless you can turn completely invisible, you’re going to get spotted!” 

…Invisible huh.

I thought to myself for a little, and fiddled around with the system UI.

“Ren, what are you doing?” A cool voice spoke from my back, causing me to freeze internally. As expected, I still couldn’t get used to Lunallu’s voice. 

“...Your augmentation.”

Leaving the surprised gasp from Lunallu from behind, I concentrated. The bottleneck created by the system was removed once I had a character. Many utilities were opened up at once, which meant that I could make use of this. To achieve it, I needed a way to level up. Defeating zombies might be the only source of experience for a level up… if the game did not have something called the [Level Capsules]. Like this one.

[Mission] Have your character use their primary skill.

Reward: [Lesser Level Capsule]

Advancement: Next Tutorial Mission

Lunallu’s abilities are considerably discreet. …It should be okay.

“Lu, [Imbue Lightning].” Without questioning, Lunallu’s chains slowly levitated off her shoulders, releasing a purplish, growling static. Jeanne’s eyes widened at the sight.

“W-What is that?!”

proOSO5.png

Have your character use their primary skill. (1/1) - Reward: Lesser Level Capsule

COMPLETED

“[Imprison] next.” 

“W-Why are you pointing at me... HEY… this isn’t funny! I’ll scream, you can’t do th—!!! ...mmm-mhphhh!!!” Jeanne’s body was wrapped by chains. Her struggling became more subdued, as the girl realized that she was unable to move anymore. 

mK5Eqdl.png

...I feel sorry for the girl, but there's no way I'm using that skill on myself.
As I was stuck in useless thoughts, several prompts that I was waiting for, appeared altogether.

Have your character use their secondary skill. (1/1) - Reward: Lesser Level Capsule

COMPLETED

[Mission] Have your character use their EX skill.

Reward: [Medium Level Capsule]

The EX skill was level-locked. I suppose Jeanne isn’t capable of that yet, but this should be enough.

[Inventory]

[1x] [Nano Disruptor Cartridge][4/20]

[4x] [Weak Nanohealing Pill]

[5x] [Basic Doping]

[1x] [Hyper Doping]

[5x] [Breakthrough Material Selector]

[5x] [Skill Enhancement Material Selector]

[10x] Lesser Level Capsule

I withdrew 3 small pieces of rock candy from the inventory.

“Swallow these.”

Lunallu nodded, and popped them immediately into her mouth.

[Use Lesser Level Capsules]

[Lunallu] has leveled up to 6!

I watched as Lunallu’s stats rose in real time, feeling a strange sense of fulfilment like I had in the game. But more importantly, my aim was achieved.

Level up a character to 5.

(1/1) - 4-Star Augment Star

COMPLETED

The Augment Star.

Constellations, Eidolons, Stars; Gacha games come up with different terms for this system. If you pulled an additional copy of the character that you already possessed, one of these ‘advancements’ was unlocked in exchange, making the character stronger. In Cyber World Online, these were called Augments. And the item that gave your characters these Augments, were the Augment Stars.

That headphones girl, Jeanne had given me a hint earlier: Invisibility.

In the game, invisibility was nothing new. Most end-game players had anti-stealth measures, so invisibility was pretty useless. It was only effective against low-level mobs which only relied on sight. This was why invisibility was considered a common ability for the early game. 

Against normal humans though? This invisibility will probably go undetected, even through heat sensors. The setting of Cyber World dates into the 22nd century after all. Anti-stealth measures that could properly detect an Operator's invisibility status was close to impossible.

[Use 4-Star Augment Star]

[Lunallu]’s first Augment: [Refraction] has been unlocked!

narw7Dh.png

Now then… With her [Imprison], Lunallu can transport herself and one person out of here. I considered my options.

“Lu. Does your imprisonment have a tether range?” Lunallu pulls the chains closer to herself, forcing Jeanne forward with a tearful look. She closed her eyes for a moment, and reopened them with a nod.

“About a kilometer.” Seems like the spiritual bond between the Operator and weapon still seemed to manifest itself in reality. 

“In that case, take the girl out of here first.” I marked a waypoint on the map, and glanced at Lunallu.

“Can you see it?” I indicated the waypoint to her. Lunallu nodded again. Looks like she can receive instructions this way too, just like in the game. 

“This should be within a kilometer. Bring her there first, I’ll try to leave and join up with you. If you don’t see me moving on the map for a long time, come back for me as soon as possible.” I reached into my inventory, and handed her 4 of my [Basic Doping].

“When that happens, I’m probably caught. Break through with this as a last resort.”

[Enhancement Consumable] Basic Doping

Temporarily increases the following statuses for 5 minutes:

Field of view +10

Strength +5

Dexterity +5

Intelligence +5

When the effects subside, enter a Vulnerable status for 10 minutes:

All stats -10 (Values cannot be reduced below 0)

“Find an opportunity, and sneak in. The priority is to stay hidden, got it? Engage only when necessary.”

“I understand.”

I stare at Lunallu for a moment, and hugged her.

Lunallu stayed silent, but I could see her fingers twitch from excitement.

“Please, be careful.” I whispered.

Conveying her happiness in her droopy eyes, Lunallu smiles deeply.

“You too, Doctor.” She whispers.

“I’ll be back immediately.” The two slowly ‘disappeared’ before my eyes. Some time had passed since the commotion outside, so I hurriedly made my way out and back into my bunk.

36