1 – 3a – What Went Before
297 10 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not much happened after that.

 

 

 

The journey to Peltra consumed the remainder of the day. The city presented an imposing sight, seemingly designed as a formidable fortress. Perched atop a hill was a keep surrounded by sturdy walls. Beyond the initial fortifications sprawled numerous buildings, encircled by yet another wall. A scattering of structures lay between the city and a river roughly a mile away, culminating in a final barrier encompassing the docks. The stone walls that enclosed the city conveyed a sense of enduring strength, suggesting a construction meant to withstand the test of time. These walls were built to last, unlike the docks.

 

The docks were safeguarded by sturdy wooden walls and looked like they were built to last just long enough. The structures scattered between the docks and the main city seemed to be... built? That was a strong word. Hell, they'd be lucky to last a stormy night, given their ramshackle appearance. The open area devoid of protective walls appeared to serve as the obvious location for a slum district. The contrast in construction and fortification hinted at the varying degrees of permanence within different sections of the city, and where the people within fell in the social hierarchy.

 

As the caravan made its way into the city. They got to the front gate and Vilmos got off his cart to walk up to the guards. They had a short conversation and Vilmos got back on the cart to pull it ahead. The second cart remained where it was.

 

Andrew furrowed his brow and glanced over his shoulder, "The second cart not coming in?"

 

Vilmos smiled, "We have to enter the gatehouse for inspection. One cart at a time."

 

As they rolled into the gatehouse, about to dozen guards with pikes came rushing out to point everything at Andrew while Vilmos jumped off the cart.

 

"DON'T MOVE!" The guard captain yelled at Andrew.

 

Andrew put his hands in the air, "WHOA! WHAT THE FRICK?" He glared at Vilmos.

 

Vilmos just smiled back, "I Told You. This is an inspection!" He crossed his arms, "We have a lot of troublemakers appear along that trail and you have a rather odd story about how you got there." A man dressed in red robes holding an orb on a velvet cushion walked out of a doorway and approached the side of the cart where Andrew was sitting. Vilmos explained, "If you have nothing to hide, just put your hand on the orb, and everything will be well."

 

The guards moved the spears a little bit closer.

 

Andrew cursed softly under his breath speaking in a language only he and his familiar could understand, "[Well screw me. Get ready. I might need you to turn me invisible.]" He slowly reached out to touch the orb.

 

The orb flashed and a bunch of words appeared floating inside it. The robed man holding the cushion peered at the orb. His eyebrows shot up as he seemed surprised. Suddenly he started to chuckle, "Oh. Oh My." He stepped back and gestured towards the Guard Captain, "He's fine. False Alarm."

 

Everyone relaxed and backed off. Andrew kept his hands up, "Uhhhh... Someone care to explain to me what just happened?"

 

The robed man answered, "Ah. Some evil gods like to torment the people of this kingdom. They take people from far-off lands and grant them powers then unleash them at random across the continent." He gestured to the orb, "This tells us your class and level while detecting for infernal investments."

 

Andrew went pale, "Oh?"

 

The robed man nodded, "Oh yes. They are usually some sort of strange alien race nobody has ever heard of before, are insanely strong, usually a powerful wizard, but sometimes a mighty warrior, but no matter what class or race they might be, they are always exactly eleventh level."

 

Andrew laughed nervously, "A strange alien race, you say?"

 

The robed man hooked a thumb at Andrew, "Ordinary human, fifth level and his classes are Wizard, Priest, Monk, Sorcerer, and something called death penalty." He looked at Andrew, "What is Death Penalty class?"

 

Andrew looked around, "Oh... uh... well..." He wiped the sweat from his forehead, "Well, There was a plague in town and I was sent off to get medicine with a whole team. Alas, on our way back, we got jumped by bandits and we were all killed."

 

Vilmos stepped closer, "Wait. You... died?"

 

Andrew looked at him, "Yes. But I was so determined to get that medication back to the town, I refused to move on. I became a ghost and followed the bandits. Once I found their camp, I went back to the church of Asclepius and fortunately, the head priest detected my intrusion onto holy ground. He managed to contact me, I explained what happened, and with my guidance, the remaining adventurers who were healthy enough to still fight went out to recover the medicine."

 

Andrew swallowed before he continued, "Since most people's lives were saved, and they had found my body, the entire town pitched in to have me rushed to Riverton when the head priest of the Sun god resurrected me. It was only possible because I had refused to move on." Andrew hooked a thumb at the orb, "I'm assuming that's what the death penalty class is. A penalty for having died and been reborn."

 

Everyone listened to Andrew speak in silence. The robed man looked at the orb and then at the Captain of the guard, "Well, that would make sense to me. This orb isn't the highest quality, but if what he said happened... occurred as he said it did... then I imagine it would display on the orb like that." He scratched the side of his head as he tried to puzzle it out and explain at the same time.

 

The Captain of the guard stepped closer to Andrew, "That is the most heroic thing I have ever heard." He abruptly offered his hand, "A man so dedicated to saving people's lives you came back from the dead? You hear people bragging about killing monsters, but you are something else."

 

Andrew finally relaxed his arms, "Well... Thanks." He shook the captain's hand, "It's been a bit of a handicap ever since, but cheap at twice the price as far as I'm concerned. Not many people can brag they were so intent on finishing their mission they told death to stuff it."

 

Everyone started to laugh. Vilmos climbed back up onto his cart, "Damn... I... Sorry for ever suspecting you." he frowned, "You know, you really helped us out back there. I feel like crap turning you in like this, but... it's the law. I hope you understand."

 

Andrew shook his head and looked concerned, "Oh no! Please! After you explained everything, I understand completely! You cannot be too careful. I just hope I never bump into one of these... uh... What were they called again?"

 

The Captain offered one word, "Infernalists."

 

"Infernalists." Andrew echoed as he nodded, "Wow. Uhh... anyways. Have any of you heard of Bridge? Riversend? Dungeon Town?" He looked around, "I'd like to get home, if possible."

 

The captain shook his head, "Afraid not. Vilmos explained that you triggered a teleport trap. I find it odd it sent you to where the infernalists appear, but maybe that's just the nature of the area. If you are teleported at random, maybe the mountains are just a place where one is likely to arrive."

 

The robed man nodded, "That makes sense. I always wondered about that. Perhaps this is just a natural... arrival point? Not sure. Perhaps that needs investigating."

 

"Hey, can someone explain what a Peltra is? I don't understand that word. Is it like... a strange word for 'port' or something?" Andrew glanced around.

 

"It is just the name of the family that founded this town."

 

Andrew looked shocked, "Wait. Do you name towns after... mere mortals? But... How will you know what purpose the town serves? The only thing named after anyone where I come from is when you name something after a GOD." He looked around, "That's... I just have to say, that smacks of hubris."

 

Vilmos looked confused, then scratched his chin, "Huh... Well, we don't find that sort of thing to be a problem here. I guess your people just have a different way of seeing things."

 

Andrew nodded, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. This is just a very strange place to me."

 

"You'll adapt, I'm sure." The captain looked to Andrew, "Sorry for the inconvenience." He reached into his pocket and pulled out two silver coins, "Here. For your trouble, Hero."

 

Andrew blinked, thought about refusing the offer, but took the coins anyway, "I'm not too proud to admit I need help. Thank you, sir."

 

"Don't mention it. Here. Private Sil!" As the captain called out, one of the soldiers stepped forward. The captain turned to look at him, "I want you to escort this man to the inn by the barracks and explain that Captain Exeter wants him treated as a VIP." Private Sil nodded and offered to help Andrew step down.

 

As Andrew got off the cart, the captain continued, "They'll give you a discount and hopefully you can find help with returning home. However, I am afraid that nobody has heard of your home, so even if you could find someone willing to teleport you since they have never been there, they can't send you there." He sighed, "And I doubt we have any wizards high enough level to do that in town, anyways. I believe teleportation is regulated and not allowed without a license."

 

Andrew nodded and offered his hand, "Thank you, Captain Exeter. You've been most kind."

 

As Andrew walked off with his escort, Vilmos remained behind to speak with the Captain, "Honestly, I could have sworn that he was one of the infernalists. He didn't cast spells like he was a fifth-level multi-class..." He arched his eyebrows, "Then again, he has a faerie with him. Perhaps it was she who was handing the spells?"

 

The robed man nodded slowly, "Or she is enhancing his magic somehow. It would not surprise me if she was some sort of blessing to look over him." He slowly shook his head, "To have the force of will to become a ghost and yet retain enough sense of self to complete your mission. I mean... you read about that sort of thing, but you don't expect to ever meet someone who did it."

 

The Captain just nodded slowly, "I bet that's it. He paid a high price for dying and coming back. I only wish I could be that devoted. I mean, you hear about people dying and becoming ghosts, but it's usually out of revenge. It's heartening when you hear someone becoming a ghost to save lives."

 

The robed man sighed, "Still... he's going to be having a hard time finding work. I've seen people who were dual-classed before, but he's a goddamned mess." He shook his head slowly, "I will say this, there is no WAY someone like THAT is an infernalist."

 

The captain nodded, "In a way, it's a good thing. I mean, our orders are to kill anyone who we even suspect of being vaguely infernal-like." He smiled softly, "It's nice to find out there are still good people in this world." He turned to look around at his men.

 

 

 

 

 

"Alright! Back to work the lot of you!"

14