1 – 5a – Fort Triplethorpe
255 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The adventurer's guild of Fort Triplethorpe was rather posh.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Upon arriving, Andrew promptly checked in at the guild, announcing his presence and his plan to establish the city as his new base of operations. He then made his way to the adjoining bar, a bustling space filled with seasoned adventurers unwinding and sizing up their peers. The dungeon that had emerged a year earlier remained a popular challenge, continuing to attract those seeking fortune and glory. The fees paid made the guild rich and the guildmaster of Triplethorpe exhibited a penchant for the luxuries of life.

 

Having reinvested a substantial amount of funds, he diligently improved the guildhall's facilities over the past year as a matter of pride. Notable enhancements included the expansion of the bar and lodging areas. The establishment was illuminated by magical means, creating an enchanting ambiance. The interior boasted an improved quality and appearance, featuring hardwood furnishing, while the walls proudly displayed impressive monster trophies. The overall aesthetic resembled a fusion of a refined hunting lodge and the casual charm of a Ruby Tuesdays restaurant.

 

Choosing a table in the center of the room, Andrew settled down as all the wall-side tables were occupied, and he preferred not to dine at the bar. Despite the potential perception of being seen as a noob, he deliberately wanted to appear as such. Underestimation could be an advantage, and he didn't mind people thinking he was a novice. While he had no intention of adopting a complete 'Eminence in Shadow' persona, he found merit in blending in with the crowd and not drawing undue attention.

 

However, he was regretting his choice because he had forgotten that there were always assholes who liked to pick on new guys.

 

"So Where You From, TWIG?" The drunk silver-level adventurer was staggering next to Andrew and glaring at him. He had dark hair, brown eyes, and a rather long, angular look to him. His skin had an ashen pallor to it, which combined with his high cheekbones made Andrew think, ~Half-elf? Most likely half dark elf. I suppose it gives you a certain mysterious air about you, but it is a horribly sub-optimal race... Well, if you wanted to take the racial levels, maybe not so much.~ He took a sip of his water, ~Hard to take someone like this seriously, to be honest.~

 

Andrew put his half-full cup of water down in front of him, off to the side where the guy could get a good swipe at it. ~That's usually what happens next, right?~ He mused to himself as he cleared his throat, "I'm from Bridge. Have you heard of it? It's upriver from Bridgeford, but downstream from Bridgefort."

 

The man blinked and then pointed at Andrew and laughed while he looked around, "Bridgefort? Bridgeford? What kind of names are those? They sound as stupid as you look!"

 

Andrew just sighed and stared up at the man, calculating the many ways he could take the man down, ~Save or suck against... willpower, I assume. That'd be your weak spot. I bet a simple hold spell could take you down.~ He flexed his off-hand, ~But it would be bad to stand out.~ He wound up saying nothing.

 

The Adventurer's grin turned into a scowl, "Hey. I'm talking to you."

 

"I assumed your question was rhetorical."

 

He grabbed Andrew by the collar, "What did you just call me?"

 

Andrew squinted, but did nothing about the hand at his throat, "Rhe-Tor-Ick-Cal. A question asked that no one is expected to answer. If you want me to answer you, my answer would be, I don't know, I didn't name them."

 

The guy picked up Andrew's cup and threw it into Andrew's face.

 

Andrew did nothing, but Miriam wasn't happy with this for the water splashed up under his hat. She burst out from under it with a scream, "AHHH! What the ABYSS?" She shook all over, shedding water as she hovered in the air. Everyone stopped to look at the sudden appearance of the diminutive, yet beautiful, winged woman hovering in the air.

 

The adventurer would have commented on her appearance, but he was already collapsing from the poison in Miriam's stinger.

 

The rest of his group, who had been watching in amusement up until this point, all jumped up as their party member crumpled to the floor. Miriam balled up her fists and squared off, hovering between the adventurer's four squadmates and Andrew, "Oh, You want some as well?"

 

Andrew grabbed Miriam and backed up to the counter as he cried out, "{Sanctuary}!" A white halo washed over both of them before settling into a soft glow, "I didn't start this!" He put a hand over Miriam's mouth to keep her from making things worse.

 

A bunch of other people jumped up, "What the hell happened?" was the most commonly expressed statement. The bartender nodded to the bouncers, and two rather burly men came rushing over. The smallest of the seedy-looking group went to check on their fallen friend, "Dank is out cold!"

 

Andrew kept still as people closed in, "He picked a fight. I declined. He threw my drink in my face. My faerie guardian took offense and poisoned him. He'll sleep like a baby for the next few hours, no more than four." He looked around without moving from where he stood, "Nobody is hurt, so let's all just take it down a notch."

 

"Oh Someone Is Gonna Get HURT!" One of Dank's companions pulled out a dagger and went to throw it, but it went wide and smashed into a bottle behind the bar. The man throwing looked boggled at missing such an easy shot, "What the...?"

 

The bartender ducked, looked at the broken bottle, then shouted "Oh THAT is IT." He jumped up over the bar in one smooth action, landing next to the dagger thrower before picking him up by the neck with one hand, "You're gonna settle up your tab then get out of my bar! NOW."

 

"I'll pay for it!"

 

Everyone turned to look at Andrew. Andrew kept standing there, "On the condition you guys let this go. Because if you decide to keep this crap going... the next time we meet... I'm not just going to cast sanctuary and wait for you to calm down." He pointedly let go of Miriam who fluttered into the air and cracked her knuckles.

 

"And what are you gonna do if we don't?" The tallest of the group responded.

 

"Only one way to find out." Miriam quipped.

 

There was a standoff for another few seconds, before the leader pointed to the others, "Pick up Dank. We've gotta rest up for tomorrow anyways." The bartender put down the daggerman before folding his arms in disgust

 

Andrew pulled out a gold coin, "This should cover it, right?" He tossed it on the counter.

 

The bartender glanced at the coin and noded. He then turned back to the the team with a grunt, then jogged his head toward the exit, "Don't come back until yer sober." The four picked up the fifth, then left, a little slower than they needed to, one might add. The last one to leave cast a glare back at Andrew on the way out.

 

Andrew sighed and let his protective aura fade, "Great. Who were those guys?"

 

The bartender snorted, "Behineh's crew? They're good lads, but they had a bad run. Lost one of their founders last week. They've been cranky lately. They brought on a new guy and he bolted. Left an opening in their flank and well... the new guy was carrying the supplies, so they didn't have a healing potion."

 

Andrew looked to the exit, "Huh... They don't have a healer?"

 

The bartender snorted, "Healer? Most healers are a waste of time. A few strong healing potions and a couple of fast healing wands and that's all you usually need. I mean, it would have made a difference in that situation, but usually healers are a waste of a share of the loot."

 

 

 

 

 

Andrew narrowed his eyes at the bartender, "You don't say."

12