Chapter – 27
1.2k 12 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jenny navigated around the strange vegetation with care. Past the place where she fell, the dim sunlight created a path she followed. The twisted plants gave way to taller trees and what looked like an underground orchard.

Biscuit chirped and hopped away, going deeper into the unfamiliar garden and away from the orchard.

Jenny started in the same direction. “Biscuit, wait!”

The rabbit stopped and looked back. Biscuit cleaned his face, then snorted. A quick, sharp sound, almost like a laugh. Again, Jenny had to do a double take. Was the rabbit laughing at her?

Despite all the weirdness, Jenny wanted to dismiss it as her overtired imagination. “Did you find something?”

Biscuit tilted his head just a fraction, nose twitching. It was cute. “Lead the way then,” Jenny said, hand waving toward the direction the rabbit had started. Biscuit grunted, then huffed. He turned his head away with sharp and decidedly not rabbit-like movements. It reminded Jenny of pouting kids. She could even hear the irate kid’s voice.

If you wanted me to go, why stop me in the first place?

She imagined the white-haired girl with short, cropped hair and a scrunchy nose, arms crossed, and face turned away. It wasn’t even hard to think of Biscuit like that. If it wasn’t for the girl’s long hair, Jenny certainly couldn’t say if the kid was male or female. The idea was so cute, Jenny giggled, then laughed.

Biscuit grunted again but didn’t stop. Between the maze-like flora, she walked, following the possible-maybe-cursed rabbit. At times, Biscuit stopped, then rose on his hind legs, ears swerving and nose twitching fast, only to move in a different direction, but never backtracking. It continued for a few minutes until the rabbit chirped and bounded forward.

Between the overgrown reedy plants, another type of climber. This new plant had delicate-looking tendrils wrapped around everything it could reach. The other vines, trees, even the stone benches. The leaves were heart-shaped, deep emerald green, with small serrated edges. Among the vines, Jenny saw tiny star-shaped flowers of pale lavender hue. The air smelled sweet and peppery.

Biscuit waded through the vines and dug the plant’s hidden bounty: a cluster of small, amber-orange berries, each the size of a marble, with smooth, glossy skin shimmering in the faint sunlight. The rabbit bit down on one of the berries, and the sweet scent intensified.

Jenny’s stomach growled.

Biscuit stopped eating, looked at Jenny, and then the berries. The rabbit pushed the remainder of the cluster toward Jenny and disappeared between the vines. Jenny still hadn’t decided if she wanted to eat when Biscuit brought another cluster, left near the first one, and dove into the vines again.

Jenny sighed. Wasn’t she supposed to provide for her pet? She took the berry and popped it into her mouth. The thin, smooth skin broke with the slightest pressure, and the flavor exploded in her taste buds.

 


 

Like Yuki already knew, rabbit noses were the best. The berries had the faint texture she often associated with magic, but not enough to cause alarm.

Jenny gasped, then let out a loud moan.

Yuki stopped in her tracks and looked back. She shook her head, found another cluster, and dragged it toward outside. The noises hadn’t stopped; if anything, they had become even more lewder. Yuki’s ears would be red if rabbits could blush. Between the languid, low moans of foodporn, there was the high-pitched whines of pleasure. Before hopping outside, she peeked between the foliage to ensure no unmentionable fondling occurred behind the leaves.

Jenny held a hand to her mouth, eyes rolled to the back of her head. The woman’s face was tomato red, and she panted hard.

Confirmation: It was PG-13 at least.

Yuki left the vines with her prize. She settled down and ate. These things were good. It was like the sweet chili sauce from the before, but sweeter and spicier. Unlike her pet, Yuki had class. She might have let out a happy chirp here and there, but nothing like Jenny.

“You’re embarrassing me, Jenny. Get a hold of yourself!”

Jenny jolted, wide eyes glued to Yuki.

Was it bad that trying to talk to Jenny was too funny? Yuki wasn’t going to hide anymore, at least not from her pet. She had been trying to speak or repeat some of the words. At this point, she thought she had Jenny pretty spot on. Jenny always looked freaked out when Yuki did it. It was funny.

Was that bullying? Was Yuki a bully?

Things to consider for the future. She dug into the sweet and chili berries again, savoring each bite. She had provided for her pet already. Now, it was up to Jenny to do her thing.

 


 

Jenny’s heart hammered in her chest. She wasn’t mistaken this time. Biscuit really said Jenny, even if it sounded like the cavernous noises of a dying cat. She popped another berry in her mouth. She shuddered. Tingles spread from the tongue to the tip of her toes. She held back another sigh of contentment. These things were so good.

A crumbling parchment appeared in front of her eyes.

 

You have consumed Fiery berries.

1 Magic Point restored.

 

Magic points? What was that? She didn’t even bother with the parchment this time. Once she finished reading, it crumbled to dust. Jenny took the waterskin from her bag, opened it, and sipped.

A bitter, lukewarm liquid invaded her mouth, and after the sweet, deliciousness of the berries, the bitter ale almost made her gag. Without water, however, she had no other choice. She took another sip.

Biscuit climbed on her lap and pawed the water’s skin. “Do you want some?” she asked, gesturing with the waterskin in the rabbit’s direction. He pawed it closer. Jenny cupped one hand in front of Biscuit, then spilled a few drops from the skin for the rabbit to drink.

The rabbit smelled the liquid and drank a sip. Then it shied away, mouth open and tongue out, almost like it was trying to spit it out.

“It tastes horrible after the berries, doesn’t it?”

Jenny closed the waterskin and cleaned her hand. She took the remaining berries, gently enveloping them on one of the spare shirts, hoping the skin wouldn’t burst. She got up, dusted her trousers, armed the crossbow again, and then turned toward their original path. She had a dungeon to explore.

Gods save her soul.

94