Chapter – 21
1.4k 16 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jenny woke up to screams. She got to a sitting position, dried blood flacking from her movements. A touch of something warm and soft faded from her cheeks. Her hands went to the injury at her stomach. The skin was tender and raw; she traced with her fingers the place where the knife punctured. She felt only the lingering scar. She looked around.

She stood in the center of an intricate circle drawn in blood. Like remembering something she hadn’t seen in a long time, she knew what this was. A ritual circle. Magic, the domain of witches, the damned, and the cursed. By her side was a white servant shirt stained with blood. On the other side, the dagger Ferdinand had stabbed her with.

The white-haired girl was nowhere in sight. It wasn’t a hallucination? Jenny didn’t know what to think anymore.

Someone yelled inside the manor. Something fell and broke in the distance.

Jenny took the knife and got up. If Ferdinand was still here, she didn’t want to be defenseless again. She adjusted her grip on the weapon, old memories and lessons helped her understand what to do. The blade pointed downward, the palm facing up — a grip not for finesse but for close-up combat. She didn’t think she’d ever need those lessons again.

By the door, Jenny saw Edgar’s corpse. The flesh was decayed and rotting. Knowledge churned from the depths of her mind. Entropy Magic. Was the contract thing real? She needed to find Biscuit.

Another yell broke the silence.

Jenny ran inside the manor, up the stairs, and across the corridors that led to her room. She passed by other servants. Most stopped and stared. A few shied away from her. The door to her room was open. Jenny got inside and looked beneath the bed.

The water bowl was half filled, just a few pieces of carrot were left, and no rabbit was in sight. She checked the cage. Biscuit wasn’t there. Jenny looked inside the wardrobe, behind the door, and over the bed. Biscuit wasn’t in here.

Jenny left the room and ran into Thaddeus.

The manor head butler's attire was impeccable, as was his posture: a tailored suit steeped in tradition, with a few subtle modifications, given his personal style. He wore a crisp white shirt and a black tie. A silver pin tied his lapel — a discreet emblem of his long years of service to the house. The man was in his late sixties, but his gaze held authority.

He looked at Jenny, at her bloodstained dress, at the dagger in her hands. “Follow me, " he ordered. The butler didn’t wait for Jenny; he turned around and walked toward the inner manor and the lord’s office.

Jenny sighed in relief. Thaddeus wasn’t her favorite coworker, but he was one of the few who didn’t judge her. She followed the butler, observing things. The manor was now in uproar, with servants running and crying. They walked to the lord's office. Thaddeus opened the door, which surprised Jenny. She thought only the lord had the keys to that room.

Once inside, Thaddeus pointed to one of the chairs.

Jenny sat. Unsure of what to do with the knife, she held it gingerly over her lap.

“What happened?” The butler asked.

Jenny debated what to say. She decided to tell the truth or at least parts of it. “I left yesterday to meet with Lord Ferdinand Grimward. We’ve been exchanging correspondences for months.” Jenny looked at the dagger in her lap. “He’s the son of Viscount Ducan Grimward. We talked about marriage in our letters.” Memories of the previous night came back. Jenny knew her explanation wasn’t making any sense. “Ferdinand said he knew Gregory, that the young master had offered to house him in the guest room. I talked Edgar into letting the man inside the walls.”

She stopped again, more images of the previous night in her mind. How Ferdinand changed as soon they were inside the walls and out of Edgar’s sight. She barely managed to resist his words, insidious whispers, and compulsion. But she didn’t say anything regarding the curse and magic. She knew well enough how these people reacted to the supernatural.

“Ferdinand tried to force himself on me, but Edgar showed up and demanded the man stop.” Jenny looked at the butler, but his gaze gave nothing away. “I don’t know what happened after. I could swear Ferdinand stabbed me with this dagger.” She said, showing the curved and jagged blade. “But that couldn’t be because I’m still alive.”

Thaddeus said nothing for a while. Then he walked to the door. “Wait here, and don’t leave this room,” he ordered again.

The man left and locked the door behind him. Jenny couldn’t fault the butler, she didn’t believe her own story either. Minutes ticked by, and Jenny wanted nothing more than to get out of the dress, but she had no other clothes to wear.

The door opened again, and Thaddeus stepped in. His face was gaunt, and his eyes hard. “The lord is dead. The killer left a dagger in his chest.” The butler looked at Jenny’s dagger. “Young Master Gregory has informed the guards you’re the culprit, and as the new Baron of Thornfield, he demands you be given to him to meet justice for his father's death.”

“I didn’t do it.”

“Quiet, girl.” The man snapped. He ran a hand through his hair, the movement sharp and abrupt.

Thaddeus walked to one of the bookcases and took away a few books. Jenny had no idea what that was for. The butler took something out of his pockets, and a few moments later, he pushed the bookcase out of the way. The furniture slid without sound, and behind it, a stair Jenny never knew existed.

“Follow and be quiet.” The man commanded again and climbed down.

Jenny followed, still not sure what was happening. Was Thaddeus helping her? Why? Counting the number of steps, they had only gone down to the bottom floor of the manor. She tried to think which room was beneath the lord's office but couldn’t think of anything.

The stairs led to a dark room illuminated by candlelight with a simple bed, a wardrobe, a table, and writing utensils. She saw bottles of wine and a casket of beers, as well as a piece of women's underwear partially hidden in one of the corners.

Thaddeus walked to a big chest against one of the walls, took a key chain from his pocket, and opened it. He took trousers, boots, a sturdy dark blue shirt and  green cloak, and leather armor from inside. He tossed everything on the bed. Then he walked to another chest, opened it, and took from there a bow, a crossbow, a sword and a shield, a bundle of arrows and bolts, and a leather bag.

Done that, he looked at Jenny again. “Take the ones you think you can use, but don’t take everything. It will only burden you.” From another inside pocket, he took a pouch that jingled with coins. “We don’t have time to prepare supplies, so you must arrange that yourself. The coins will help.” He placed the pouch on the bed and walked closer. “Now, you’ll need to strike me with that dagger. A blow to the head with the pommel and a small cut in the arm will do.”

“Why?” Jenny asked.

Thaddeus looked at Jenny for a few moments, then looked away. “It is not for you; I’m simply repaying a favor.”

“I didn’t do it,” Jenny said again.

“It doesn’t matter.” Thaddeus shrugged. “If Gregory doesn’t kill you, the church will accuse you of witchcraft.” The man straightened his back and then pointed at the trapdoor behind Jenny. “That will lead you beyond the walls and into the fields. Do not go to the town.” The butler settled his stance, legs apart and arms open. “A hit to the head with the pommel and a stab to the arm. Don’t overdo it, I’d prefer to stay alive after this. Stay here until nightfall. Gregory doesn’t know of this room.”

Jenny looked at the man, then at the dagger. She bowed and opened her mouth, but Thaddeus shook his head. Jenny stepped forward and brought the knife into the man’s temple. Before he fell, she stabbed his arm.

Thaddeus cried in pain.

Jenny turned toward the bed. Thaddeus shuffling steps and grunts of pain echoed up the stairs.

Next chapter tomorrow.

Thank you for reading!

112