Chapter 45 – The Double-Date
364 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Felix didn't expect to do much. He presumed after the fall of the Inner Demons and the Hand that his life would be simpler. Okay, not simpler per say, but at the very least, he wanted a break. Next week, he was going back to Oscorp Tower, so in the meantime, he wanted to kick back and chill out. Dr. Octavius, probably because of SHIELD stuff, outright told the team for Project Rebirth that they should relax until their return.

Great. Cool.

Except being Spider-Man wasn't so simple. Shortly after waking up and eating breakfast, a knock came on his door. Groaning, he got up and went to see who it was. Colour him surprised to see Detective Maria Hill.

"Hey, uh, good to see you," Felix said in confusion. "Do you need something? I'm eating breakfast and it's pretty early."

Maria wordlessly showed him her phone. He read a string of text messages. He zoomed in on two particular messages.

> Anthony Stark: We have no one else to go with lol

> Anthony Stark: It'll be fun. Like old times 

"Stark has called us for a double date," Maria stated. "Let's go."

"Right...right now?"

"We've been inserted into his busy schedule. This is what we have been waiting for. We won't get it again in weeks."

Right, the plan to hack into Stark Industries. Ugh…really? Man, this was really going to dampen his break week.

"A double-date, huh? Who's the lady that's going to be with Stark?" Felix asked out of curiosity.

Maria entered his apartment, hands in her trench coat pockets. "Christine Everhart, a reporter. She used to be Stark's biggest critic. In fact, I hear she colluded with Pepper Potts regarding the 2010 exposé."

"Oh, right," said Felix. "My dad hated that article and kept saying it wasn't true. That Stark Industry would never create weapons of mass destruction."

"Your father?" Maria stopped to look at him. 

"He worked for Stark Industries," Felix explained. "He was a top-notch scientist, sort of. My mother was better, but he took most of the credit from her. I don't really have any goodwill towards that company."

"I see." Maria didn't look as surprised as she should have been. "As long as you're not loyal, then it's fine with me."

'What an actor. She already knew,' Felix thought. 'Of course, she's a top-notch detective. She never would have made our deal unless she knew who I was and who I was affiliated with.'

Maria took a risk and that risk was paying off now. Inside info for Oscorp and now a double-date. They were going to be able to see Anthony Stark and do some espionage in his home. Find out what they needed to, maybe even find the traitor.

At least that would have been the case if Felix hadn't learned about Otomo's involvement in the Oscorp Tower incident. He hired Crossbones. He gave him the EMPs and the equipment necessary to invade the almighty Oscorp Tower. Through access of the NYPD and the Oscorp database, Herbie concluded that Otomo and Stark had no connections whatsoever. Zero. Zilch. Out of all his current suspects, Stark was at the bottom. 

(Mr. Negative snorted. “Do you think I care, Otomo? The Maggia and the Hand, just because you stick in the shadows doesn’t mean I have to.” Black and white oozed from every fibre of his being but Otomo was not intimidated.

“I’ve dealt with your kind before.”

“No,” Mr. Negative corrected. “You most certainly have not. Now, our deal. I have an operation to conduct in the coming future.”

“Crossbones will not be happy,” Otomo said.

Mr. Negative raised a crackling fist, then unclenched it, leaving sparks of black lightning. “Like I care. He’s under your command. In my next operation, I expect him to participate.”

“I will relay that message.”)

Except Crossbones didn't participate. He was notably not among those arrested by the NYPD and certainly not among those Spider-Man defeated. Back then, if he wasn't on a timer, he would have properly interrogated Otomo. 

'But if I didn't do that, Mr. Negative would have gone wild. Forget the crane and apartment building, he could have destroyed the whole block.' 

He couldn't regret his actions and he couldn't go back to change them either. What was done was done. Otomo was left in the care of the police. He wasn't going to trust in them exactly but he did have the bare-minimum expectation of them keeping the Maggia leader in check. 

Maria sat down in the living room, pulling out her phone and messaging someone. Felix went to the kitchen to grab a snack. 'But how do I relay this information to Maria?' Felix thought. 'Stark Industries likely isn't involved in it but I can't just tell her as Spider-Man, and I also can't just tell her as Felix. It would garner too much suspicion. I guess I'll have to play along.'

Doing this would also confirm Herbie's investigation without deniability, so there was some reason for Felix to go.

"Let me get changed." Felix returned to the living room, biting into an apple. "Where does Stark live anyway?"

"Malibu, Los Angeles."

Los Angeles!? That was…

"Wait…are we getting there by…?"

"Yes," Maria said. "By jet." 

***

Teterboro Airport was where the wealthy often launched their private jets. Felix glanced over at Maria, who was focused on her phone and coordinating with Stark. She kept ahead and, taking a deep breath, Felix followed her lead.

Walking through the tarmac, the sleek form of Stark's private jet came into view, its engines humming softly. It had to be Stark since it had his company's symbol and quality that the neighbouring jets lacked. Felix couldn't help but marvel at the sight. 'I've never been on a jet,' he thought. His father would be jealous. While influential, he was never allowed outside his state. He was like a placeholder. A joke, almost who could never gain authority within Stark Industries no matter how hard he tried.

Yet here Felix was, getting close to Anthony Stark and approaching his private jet. The world was ironic in the most twisted ways. His father's dreams were realized through him, the son he pushed and then threw away. 

The stairway was already there for him. Seconds later, they were greeted by Anthony Stark himself, who appeared at the entrance of the jet. Felix felt a surge of nervous energy Anthony Stark flashed a charismatic grin.

"Maria, Maria! Here you are!" Through the hum of the jet, Stark spread his arms wide and nudged at them to come up the stairs. 

He flashed Maria a toothy smile as she went inside. As for Felix…

"So you must be the boyfriend." Anthony extended a hand in greeting. "I believe we're acquainted."

"I believe so." Felix smiled pleasantly even though his heart was racing and his mind was flashing with the memories of what he did. There was cucking and then there was what he did. 

"Great to meet you at last. Honestly?" The billionaire looked him up and down. "You look nerdier than I thought." Anthony's smile widened and he tightened his grip hard. Felix didn't so much as blink because he didn't feel a thing. In fact, he probably wouldn't have been able to tell if not for his Spidey-Sense.

'Should have figured he's still pissed.' 

Anthony realized Felix was wholly unfazed and released him. The Stark's sunglasses stared into Felix's normal spectacles. Nerdy as he was, this guy was built pretty well. Lean and muscled in silent ways. "Ahem. Go in. We've got some excellent drinks."

"Thank you."

Felix went in and saw white plush leather seats lined up. Maria and Christine Everhart were already there. Felix went ahead and settled next to Maria. Wearing his glasses, Herbie sprung to life within his glasses' interface. 

ANALYZING AIRCRAFT. MODEL: STARK INDUSTRIES SI-90 EXECUTIVE JET. TOP SPEED: MACH 0.9. RANGE: 6,000 NAUTICAL MILES. STATE-OF-THE-ART AVIONICS AND AUTOPILOT SYSTEMS. AMENITIES INCLUDE A FULLY STOCKED BAR, LUXURIOUS SEATING, AND ADVANCED IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT.

Felix's gaze shifted over to the bar. Talk about luxurious. It was in the center of the cabin, a sleek bar area gleaming with countertops and an array of top-shelf liquor and fine wines. Christine Everhart, the blonde reporter, was already sipping on a glass of expensive scotch whisky. Herbie indicated it was worth a hundred bucks.

But more importantly was the blonde reporter in question. Herbie quickly scanned her and gave out an exposé. 

NAME: Christine Everhart

OCCUPATION: Journalist & News Anchor for Vanity Fair

GENDER: Female

AGE: 35

MARITAL STATUS: Single

HEIGHT: 5′9 / 1.75 m

WEIGHT: 144 lbs / 65.32 kg

IRISES: Blue

HAIR COLOUR: Blonde 

EDUCATION: Bachelor of Law (Brown University), Bachelor of Arts in Journalism (Brown University) 

PARENTS: Antonio Everhart (father), Kim Everhart (mother) 

SPECIAL NOTE: Wrote the first exposé on Anthony Stark, which led to a series of criticisms regarding Stark and his involvement in the Middle East. She insinuated that Anthony Stark was responsible for bombs that have killed up to thirty-thousand children in Afghanistan alone.

An educated woman with beauty and a sense of justice. That was the immediate vibe he got from her. She sat there, legs crossed, in a black skirt-suit. She caught Felix's eye, though didn't stay for long. Anthony arrived and he plopped next to her and put an arm around her. Christine didn't mind. She was mostly confused about the presence of the other couple; of Maria and Felix. They weren't CEOs. They didn't seem important at all. 

"A double-date. Great stuff." A waitress came over and put down a tray of drinks. Anthony took one. "We'll be at my place in ten minutes. It'll be a nice, big dinner."

"Dinner?" Maria questioned.

"Yeah, didn't I tell you? Oh wait, I didn't." Stark smiled cockily. "I'm bringing over a couple friends of mine. You know, Emma Frost, Susan Storm, and a bunch of excellent company. Very easy on the eyes. I'm sure you'll appreciate it, Mr. Boyfriend. Er, what's your name again?"

"Felix."

"Felix, yes, great name. Maria and Felix. Very nice." Stark sipped on his drink. "So, Felix, what do you do? Calisthenics? A gym coach maybe?" Anthony gestured at him, chuckling. "I can tell you work out."

His body was nice and lean in those videos. But that aside—shit! Felix thought this was going to be a casual affair and opted for a dark blue button-down shirt paired with black slacks and a leather jacket. Maria thought the same and chose a white blouse and beige skinny jeans. She was not equipped for a fancy dinner. 

Was this his idea of revenge? If so, it was exceedingly petty. It wasn't like this was something to be mad over. It was just kinda annoying. Actually, Felix wasn't even that annoyed. It was mostly Maria that was agitated by this surprise. She had been expecting a normal dinner. A quiet evening where she could sneak off and plug in her USB and hack into Stark's database. Now, there was a small wretch in her plans.

"I work out at home," Felix said. 

"What, a home gym? I have one of those too, although I hardly use it. I do a lot of boxing though. Care to spar later? I promise to take it easy on ya."

Jesus, the ego on this guy. Maria was right, this dude needed a reality check. Felix smiled and agreed. "Sure, whenever you're ready. I'm not a boxer but I'll do my best."

"Trust me, man, it's not easy. The biggest thing is learning to take a punch." Anthony's eyes were almost glinting with mischief. "A lot of guys say a lot of shit online but getting punched in the face? That's the biggest reality check."

Huh, looks like they were thinking the same thing. How funny. 

The jet took off. Anthony's arrogant smile stayed on his face. Christine stayed quiet too. 

***

The mansion sat atop a cliff overlooking the sea, with its large windows affording a dramatic view of the ocean. Its marble walls were a warm white, with large windows of clear glass placed upon its exterior. The house was massive, a few stories tall, with rows of palm trees decorating the front of the sprawling gardens. A number of white-clad partygoers stood on the lawn, chatting with one another and drinking cocktails, while music and laughter could be heard from inside.

"Hey, people!" Anthony finger-gunned them and they cheered at his presence. Christine was right beside the billionaire, not quite clinging to him. As a matter of fact, Felix caught her shoulders to be very tense.

"What's up with them?" Felix whispered over to Maria.

"Sex," Maria muttered back. "The reporter must have promised sex for this meeting. Stark mentioned many important names, after all."

'But since they're not exactly friends, it's a bitter pill to swallow.' Pretending to adjust his glasses, Felix tapped at his phone. Herbie instantly analyzed Christine's phone. 

CHRISTINE EVERHART HAS BEEN FINANCIALLY STRUGGLING. SHE HAS BEEN SEARCHING FOR A GOOD SCOOP AND HAS RECENTLY BEEN INVESTIGATING PRINCESS ORORO REGARDING THE RUMOURS OF HER "SEX ISLAND". HOWEVER, SHE COULD ONLY GAIN ACCESS TO THE PRINCESS BY GIVING SEXUAL FAVOURS TO ANTHONY STARK. 

'Typical billionaire behaviour,' Felix thought. 'It's the same way kings of old times could bed any woman they wanted. Billionaires are the new kings of society and rather than ruling over countries, they rule over companies.' 

There weren't a lot of people partying. The men and women outside, according to Herbie, were random people simply asked to come for the sake of appearances. The inside of the mansion was as he expected. High ceilings, very simple yet opulent. A modern billionaire. A modern king. Felix expected paintings and instead saw blank walls. Anthony Stark wasn't interested in art. 

In the living room overlooking the waters were the VIPs Stark mentioned: the blonde actress, the African princess, and the telepathic mutant CEO. While there were some people dancing throughout the house, there was very much a distinction between the ladies seated on the couches and everyone else. They were drinking, they were quiet, and they were waiting for something.

"Fina-fucking-ly." Emma Frost, an elbow on the white armrest and a fist to her cheek, scoffed. "What the fuck is this, Stark?"

Anthony Stark. That was who they were waiting for. Incidentally, Stark was also why they were so pissed.

"A meeting…" Princess Ororo shook the glass in her hand and her own head. "Have Americans suddenly changed the definition of a meeting?"

'Ah, I get it. They were also duped.' 

"Don't be so pissy." Anthony smiled and called over a waitress. "Tell everyone to go. I want it to just be us." 

The waitress nodded and jogged over to another waiter. The message spread and slowly, the mansion began to clear up. Only the billionaires, princesses, and actresses remained.

Oh, and Felix, Maria, and Christine too. The sofas were arranged in a square shape with gaps at the corners. The three already sitting were on a separate sofa. Felix, Maria, and Christine were thus forced to share a sofa with Anthony. A somewhat tight fit. 

"And who are these people?" Susan Storm asked, gesturing to Felix, Maria, and even Christine. "Friends? Lovers?"

Anthony Stark snorted. "As if. I'm not Ororo."

The comment garnered Christine's attention. So it was true: the Princess of Kenya was into men and women. So was everything else true? Did she really host orgies? 'If the stuff about Shuri was wrong, then maybe it was wrong about Ororo too.' Felix saved her and she didn't give off a bad vibe. 

("Haa…ha…" Ororo caught her breath, smiling. "I must admit, I've never been swept off my feet like that before," she said. "But maybe it's a New York thing. Do you make a habit of rescuing people in such a spectacular fashion?"

Her gaze lingered on Felix, a mix of curiosity and playful interest. The distant sounds of police activity and the city below served as a backdrop to their impromptu exchange. Yet, despite Ororo's attempts to engage him, Felix remained silent.

Undeterred, Ororo leaned in slightly, her expression inviting. "What's your real name? Or do you prefer to keep that a mystery too?"

Felix's masked face gave away nothing as he continued to observe the Empire State Building. Her hand went down his chest, a motion that caught his attention.

"Oh? Interested?"

What a minx, drawing circles on his chest, coaxing his attention through her sultry voice. His interest, though piqued, wasn't high enough and he gently pushed her back. He turned his back to her and leapt off the Herald Towers. Ororo went wide-eyed, running up to the edge to try and find him. From her perspective, he was gone, having disappeared into the darkness of the night.)

Suddenly remembering the brief incident on the rooftop…

'Okay, maybe she is something of a minx.' 

Well, whatever. That didn't matter. What was important was that he was here. Herbie was here. There was no need to tap his glasses. 

HACK COMMENCING.

It was time to learn every dirty little secret Stark had—because why not? 

11