Chapter 19 – Loki’s Plan
1.4k 15 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a few minutes of stewing with my thoughts, I lay down for a nap.  Siri had tired us out by taking control for so long, and it seemed like a good idea to catch some sleep while I could – who knew how busy things were going to get soon?  Siri’s bed was as comfy as it looked, and I pulled off my nike’s and lay down for a short while – it took me a minute to figure out the alarm clock, but it wasn’t too hard.  I set the alarm for about an hour and a half.

 

                As I lay there, I couldn’t help but have my mind wander.   You and Loki, Siri?  Really?

 

                *Yeah, really.  Sometimes with Rae too.  I’ve lived almost a thousand lifetimes, Jason.  Did you expect me to be celibate?*

 

                Well, no... It’s just all our stories paint Loki as the villain.  Is it true?

 

                *Yes, and no.  In his youth, some of Loki’s pranks were pretty deadly – and he has done some shitty things like cutting off Sif’s hair with magic scissors – and yeah, some dwarves did sew his mouth shut – but if Odin and the others had wanted him dead, they would have let the dwarves kill him when they had the chance.  Instead, Odin saved him – knowing the legends – and now he’s still with us.  He’s got a bad reputation, but I personally don’t think it’s deserved.*

 

                I thought about it for a minute.  So does that mean you and Sheryl both picked out your partners – it wasn’t just you or just her?

 

                *It was usually a partnership decision, with us.  Why?  Did you have anyone in mind?*

 

                Oh hell, no!  I thought.  I’m barely keeping things together just being in this body.  I don’t even want to think about being with someone – or anyone – at the moment.  I feel too damn awkward and wrong.

 

                *Sorry, Jason.  I guess this was a bad time for teasing – even gentle teasing.*

 

                Yeah, sorry, Siri.  Not a good time would be an understatement.  Are we really being promoted?

 

                *Looks that way.  I’m as surprised as you, frankly, but I’m also honoured.  Look, I’m all for talking, but if you want rest – and I want rest – then we should rest.  Talk to you later?*

 

                Yeah, alright.  Goodnight Siri.

 

                And soon we dozed off to sleep, wrapped in a fluffy warm comforter on my soft bed.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

               

                I woke to the annoying feeling of being unable to breathe, and an intense pain in my chest, all the while someone was tapping on my door.  I shook myself awake, and rolled off my stomach, and almost immediately I could breath and my chest hurt much less... God dammit!  I thought.  So much for sleeping on my stomach anymore.  Stupid boobs getting in the way!

 

                *Maybe, but they can be fun if you learn to like them.* Siri quipped.  *You going to get the door, Jace?*

 

                “Sorry!  Just a minute!”  I called out, rolling out of bed.  “Just a sec!”

 

                I went over to the door, walking on those nice soft rugs in my sock feet. Mmmmm.   I took a moment to make myself look at least a little composed, and opened the door – to see a woman wearing a uniform I didn’t recognize, but which reminded me of medical scrubs.

 

                “Battle-Leader Sigrid, and Youngling Host?”  The woman asked rather clinically, while looking at some sort of tablet computer. 

 

                “Yes?”

 

                “You have a medical examination, followed by a procedure waiting for you, ma’am.  My name is Lyka.  I’m a Master Healer – you’d probably call me a doctor or surgeon using Midgarder terms.  I’m here to escort you to the medical wing for the procedure that Lord Loki told me you agreed to.”

 

                “Oh, crap.” I muttered.  “I thought I had more time before that.  I’ll get my shoes.”

 

                “Take your time,” Lyka replied.  “We can’t start without you anyway.”

 

                “What is going to be done to me?” 

 

                “I’ll let Lord Loki explain that to you.  I’m sorry – I don’t know if you have clearance for me to tell you.”

 

                I nodded.  “Fair enough.  They were playing a little close to their vest earlier anyway.  I understand.”  I quickly got my shoes back on, and readied myself to follow Lyka.  We walked through the Citadel without much talking – Lyka didn’t seem the chatty sort. 

 

                Any idea what Loki has planned for us, Siri?  I asked.

 

                *None whatsoever.  He implied he had a treatment that might make us resistant to the Krell weapon – but I don’t know how he could possibly know how to do that.  There’s obviously something he hasn’t told us yet.*

 

                I’m guessing that would be par for the course for Loki?

 

                *Pretty much.  Loki can be chatty when he’s in a good mood – but he’s also a master of keeping secrets, which is why he is equally in control of our intelligence teams along with Heimdall.  If he lets something slip, it was on purpose – remember that.*

 

                I will.  I replied.

 

                We walked in silence for a while longer, following Master-Healer Lyka, and were brought to a wing of the citadel that was obviously a major medical hub – I could see injured patients recuperating in gardens, and there were far more doctors and people in Asgardian scrubs than there were guards or warriors.  Lyka soon brought me into what looked like an examination room – where Loki, and a beautiful red-haired woman waited, both in elaborate Asgardian regalia.  I bowed before the two – the mystery woman was obviously one of the Ladies – and I didn’t want to offend either of them.  The aura of charisma and power they projected made me feel once again in awe of the two, and I knelt in homage. 

 

                *Be respectful!  That is Freya herself.  She commands half of all the Valkyries!*

 

                “My lord Loki, my lady Freya.”  I said quietly.  “How may I serve you?”

 

                “At ease, soldier.”  Freya replied, smiling.  “Sigrid, you’ve done well.  Youngling... what are you called?”

 

                “My name was Jason, my lady... I am between names for the time being.  Sigrid says thank you, My lady.”

 

                “Very well, Jason.  Do you know why you are here?”

 

                “Lord Loki approached me with a plan.  He said he might have the means to protect me against the Krell’s new weapon, and he asked if I was ready to aid the Aesir in whatever way I could.  I presume this meeting is to further that plan.”

 

                “Good.  You are correct, Jason.  You and Sigrid are going to undergo a process devised by Loki and Myself that should strengthen your spirit, and the bond between you, such that the Krell’s weapon should be unable to separate you – although I strongly suspect it will still cause intense pain should it hit you.  Sigrid – you have heard of the rite of Ascension?”

 

                I allowed Siri to take control...  “Yes, Milady.  It is the means by which senior Einherjar and Valkyries can be raised to the ranks of the Aesir – it’s the greatest honor one of us can ever achieve... to join you and the Aesir as an equal.  To become one of the gods.”

 

                “Yes, Sigrid, that is correct.  What you do not know is that for the Rite of Ascension to begin, one must have at least two sponsors amongst the Aesir – in this case, myself and Loki – and have a subject that has served faithfully and well for centuries, who has achieved a great rank, great renown, and who holds the love and respect of their sisters and brothers in arms.  That would be you.”

 

                I know what they want.  I thought to Siri.  I know what they’re planning. My stomach sank, but I knew what I had to do.

 

                “You wish for me to undergo the Rite of Ascension, secretly – so that no one but us knows.  I will be promoted to the Twelve – and lead the troops into battle against the Krell – where you will require me to be struck by the weapon.  You need to know if it can kill or disable one of you – because if it can, you cannot dare strike the Krell Homeworld... the risk to Asgard and the Aesir would be catastrophic.  If I survive, you know the attack can proceed as planned.  I’m the test.”

 

                “I told you she was special.”  Loki replied.  “Yes. Exactly. And if you survive, you are to infiltrate their ship and rescue Brunhilde and as many of the Einherjar as you can, and any technology you can regarding this new weapon – and then you are to destroy the ship and anything still left upon it.  Is that understood?”

 

                “Yes, Milord.”  I said.  “Even if it means my death, I will do as you ask.”

 

                “Jason, Sigrid,” Freya began.  “We do not seek your death – far from it!  But we must know if this weapon is capable of destroying an Aesir – one of us.  If it is, we must combat it using alternate means – and if it can be survived, we must know this too.  It is of vital importance to our people... and it may also serve us to devise a way to protect the rest of the Valkyries and Einherjar as well.  Your reward for this task is the Rite itself... if you survive, you will join us on the attack on the Krell homeworld, as the newest of the Aesir.  You will be a symbol for all of Asgard.  We do not intend this as a suicide mission, Jason – but there is a serious risk.  We intend to honor that bravery, if you should survive.”

 

                Jason smiled, and looked up into the eyes of Freya, tears of joy and devotion – and conviction - running down his cheeks.  “My lady.  I have served the Aesir since I was a little boy, learning my prayers at the feet of my father and mother, as my grandfather and grandmother taught them.  I have offered prayers to your people my whole life, and my hopes, dreams and reverences as well.  The gods have always been there for me when I needed them.  How can I not be there for them, when they have need of me?  If I can aid you through my life, or by my death, then I will do so.”

 

                *Well said, Jason.*  Siri replied, quietly.

 

                Freya and Loki both looked taken aback, both by Jason’s conviction, but also by his eloquence, and his acceptance.  But they also felt something else... A fierce pride in this scared young mortal who had been thrust into a strange world – and was still willing to fight and die simply because he was asked to. 

 

                “You honor us, Jason Stendahl.  Faith is hard to find in this day and age.”  Freya said quietly.  “If you know what you must do, I ask if you are ready?”

 

                I nodded, and stood facing my gods.  “I am.”

 

                Freya nodded to Loki, who smiled.  “Then let us begin.”

 

                I felt a pin-prick as a syringe was pressed against my neck... I felt cold – and then I felt nothing.  Everything went black.

 

 

 

 

62