12. Brothers, Sisters
878 4 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content Warning: Suffocation, Flashback, Blood, Death

=:= William =:=

The sensation of suffocating seemed endless. There was no way to know if it was seconds, minutes, or days. Or years. All William knew was the dark, the cold, and that he could not breath.

And then suddenly it was over.

He collapsed to the ground, drawing in deep shaky gasps of air. He wasn't even on his knees, he didn't have the strength for that. He lay face down in a heap, shuddering a little as he savoured the sensation of air filling his lungs.

Gradually he became aware of the fact that it was daylight now, and he was laying in a grassy clearing, surrounded by several small standing stones. It looked different though. It wasn't just a trick of the light, he was sure this was a different place.

After a few more minutes, his strength had returned enough that he could sit up and get a better look.

This was definitely a different place. He was atop a hill, surrounded by a random assortment of a few dozen small stones. In the middle were five much larger ones, arranged in a sort of zig-zag pattern. Beyond the stones and the hill, the landscape was just a flat featureless grassy plain, as far as the eye could see.

He looked up, to gauge the time from the position of the sun. That's when he realized there was no sun. The sky was blue and clear, not a cloud in sight, and it was bright as mid-day here, but there was no sun. No explanation for where the daylight was coming from.

William got to his feet and checked himself over. He seemed to be unhurt, and now that he'd recovered from near-suffocation, he was feeling much better. He didn't feel hunger yet, though he was sure it was at least a day since he'd last eaten. All he had with him were the clothes on his back. He was wearing a black t-shirt, khaki military-style pants, and black combat-style boots. His belt was missing, along with his pistol, his backup, his knives, his watch, and phone. Even his wallet was gone.

There was nothing around here he could use as a weapon, but he still had his strength and his training.

He was about to start a more thorough search of the area when the voice behind him stated, "William Laughlin, it is time."

He spun around to confront her, then took a step back. It wasn't her, it was them.

He was looking at three nearly-identical women. They all had pale skin, long jet-black hair, and were wearing gothy black dresses. There were some subtle differences though.

The one in the middle looked a few years older than the other two. She appeared to be in her late-thirties, where the other two were closer to mid-thirties. The middle one was wearing some nondescript black flats on her feet, and her make-up was very subtle. Just a bit of lipstick and a touch of eyeshadow. Her expression was stern but kind. She almost looked motherly.

The one on the left was wearing black ankle-boots and her make-up was harsh and dark. She had lipstick that was so dark it was almost black, and dark eyeliner circled her eyes. Her expression looked somewhere between angry and predatory. William was certain she was the one he'd encountered before, the one who entombed him in stone.

The one on the right was wearing black pumps on her feet, and her make-up was a little brighter. She had a slight grin on her face, and a mischievous look in her eyes. He got the feeling the way she was looking at him was a lot like the way a cat looked when it spied a mouse.

William tried to keep his expression neutral as he looked at them. Apart from the differences in make-up and footwear, and the one in the middle seeming older, they looked like identical triplets.

Finally he demanded, "What do you want from me?"

"We have been debating your fate, William," the one in the middle said. "And we have decided to offer you a choice."

He shook his head, "No deal. I refuse any bargain, I will not betray the Brotherhood."

The angry one said to the other two, "I told you as much. We're wasting our time."

"At least hear us out, William." The one on the right said. "It's not like you have anything else to do."

William shrugged, "Say what's on your mind." He had no intention of taking whatever deal they offered, but he figured the more they talked, the more he might learn.

As far as he knew, the Brotherhood had never encountered a triple goddess before. He knew the term, there was lots of mythology that discussed triads, but those had been dismissed as fantasy. The other possibility was they were dealing with three discrete gods who were working as a team. That was a much more dangerous prospect.

Either way, he hoped to learn enough to get some answers, and then he could figure out how to get that information back to the Brotherhood. One thing at a time though, so for now he just listened.

The one in the middle said, "William, your body is dead. It is ash and dust. There is nothing for you now on the mortal realm. Thus, we present you with two choices..."

The one on the left continued, "We can release our hold on you and allow your spirit to pass beyond the veil, to leave this life behind and move on to the next... You know as I do William, your soul is badly stained. From your memories I know you have personally sent two hundred and seventeen souls into the beyond. And another forty-eight moved on as a result of passive action on your part. What do you think awaits you in the afterlife?"

William tried not to let her words affect him. He was raised Catholic, though he'd stopped believing at age fourteen, when... No. He pushed those thoughts away as he always did whenever they cropped up.

At any rate, he'd given up on God long before he joined the military, before he'd become a professional killer. Still, he couldn't ignore what the goddess was implying. She was threatening to send him to Hell...

Then the one on the right said, "Rather than send you onwards William, we could send you back. I can give you a new body, and a chance to earn redemption. A chance to do some good, to make up for the harm and pain you have helped spread upon the world."

William looked at all three of them. He was starting to think of them by their expressions. Angry on the left, Smiley on the right, and Kindly in the middle. He shook his head, "I know what you're doing. You're trying to coerce me, to scare me, into making some kind of deal. It won't work."

Kindly pointed out, "I told you up front we were here to offer you a choice, William. My sisters have told you the options. Our patience is not limitless, we do expect an answer."

He scoffed a little, and asked "What if I don't pick? What if I say nothing?"

Angry smiled coldly at him, "Deciding not to choose, is still a choice. And as we have no interest or desire for your company, you will be returned to the stone. Perhaps we'll visit you again in a few years to see if you've changed your mind... Or perhaps not."

The panic hit him as he felt coldness in his feet. Stone was starting to rise up out of the ground, to entomb him again.

"No! Wait! I haven't made a decision yet!" His heart was pounding, but thankfully the stone sank back down into the earth. His hands were shaking slightly from the adrenaline that had flooded his system.

Smiley asked, "You have a choice then, William?"

He gulped and asked, "So... My options are you send me to Hell, or send me back to Earth? You said I was dead, but you'd bring me back to life?"

Angry stated, "We never said 'hell', only that you will move beyond the veil into whatever awaits you there."

Smiley nodded, "I will provide you with a replacement body. Something suitable of course. It won't be a duplicate of your original, but I promise it will be appropriate."

He looked at her suspiciously, then asked "Why? Why offer to send me back? You could just cast me into Hell, or leave me in the rock. Why bother with all this? What's in it for you three?"

Kindly answered, "Despite what you have been taught William, we are not evil or malevolent. We have only sought to bring joy and peace to those on Earth who believe in us. And I believe in second chances. And finally, I hope that it will be taken by you as a gesture of good-will on our part. Your group attacked us, you declared war on us, not the other way around. But we are making an offering of peace, and offering you a chance to redeem yourself."

He nodded slowly, then asked, "May I know your names? If we're talking about peace and good-will, it would set my mind at ease to at least know who I'm talking to."

The three glanced at each other, as some sort of unspoken communication happened between them.

Smiley grinned slightly, "I am Ceridwen."

"I am Dôn." Kindly said.

Angry scowled a little, "And I'm Arianrhod."

William nodded, "Thank you, Cerid-wen, Dawn, Ariann-rod." He nodded slightly as he committed them to memory. He didn't recognize the names, they weren't from any faith or mythological system he'd studied. Probably some obscure back-country gods, local deities from some long-forgotten clan.

That was both good news and bad. On the one hand they couldn't be all that powerful, but on the other hand, there may not be much information about them. Either way, he'd get what he'd learned back to the Brotherhood. They had the resources to find out whatever there was to know about these three.

"Remember William," Dôn said, "If you choose to return to the mortal realm, we are sending you back to earn redemption and make up for the pain and darkness you have spread upon the world. We are not offering you a second chance, only for you to carry on the way you had been before."

William nodded, "I understand. Ok. I'll take that offer. Send me back to Earth." Of course he knew the first thing he'd do was get in touch with the Brotherhood. He had to get all this information to them immediately.

Ceridwen smiled, looking pleased. "Very good. I'm glad you agreed to our terms, William."

He saw her eyes flare with blue light, and everything went white.

• • • • •

William slowly drifted awake. His head was aching, he was thirsty, hungry, and he had to use the washroom. He hadn't opened his eyes yet, but he could tell there was a little bit of light out there. Wherever he was, it was fairly quiet. He couldn't hear anyone else about. He couldn't even hear any breathing other than his own.

He took stock of what he could feel. He wasn't on a bed, but maybe a sofa? There was a blanket under him and another ontop of him, but beneath the blankets he could feel a couple very large cushions rather than a mattress. There was a big pillow under his head. His feet were bare, no boots, no socks. He could feel he was wearing something, probably flannel, but he couldn't tell what. Maybe a night-shirt?

He finally opened his eyes a crack. He was laying on a large leather sectional sofa. To one side he could see a big easy-chair and infront of him was a fireplace, though the fire was out. On either side of that were large bay windows, looking out over a field and then rows of grape vines.

William's eyes opened wide. He knew exactly where he was - this was the cultists' home. Their Goddesses had sent him right into their lair! This was perfect, he couldn't wait to meet them and start working to make amends. He just hoped they'd accept his apology.

Wait what the hell was that?! His thoughts were jumbled, confused.

He knew this was the perfect opportunity to strike. The house was silent, and the light coming in the windows suggested pre-dawn. Probably around six o'clock. From how quiet things were, he suspected the cultists were all still asleep. He'd feel better if he had a weapon, but he could make do with his strength, his training, and his magic.

He raised his head slightly to get a better look at the surroundings, and that's when he finally noticed that the blanket that was laid ontop of him was soft pink, and decorated with yellow flowers and purple cartoon butterflies. Turning his head slightly, William realized the pillow was also pink, with frilly lace around the edges. Of course the blanket underneath him was pink too, with more of the butterflies and flowers decorating it.

William bit his lip, suppressing a grin. The butterflies were cute, and how did they know pink was his favourite colour?

No damnit! He scowled. What the hell was he thinking?! Was this a joke or something? It was like someone raided a little girl's linen closet when they set him up on the sofa. Did the cultists bury him in all this girly crap, or was that their Goddesses?

He quietly moved the blanket off as he swung himself up into a sitting position, then he froze. The first thing he noticed was the adorable little pink nightie he was wearing. The second thing was that his feet didn't quite reach the floor.

William stared down at the pink nail polish on his little toes as he wiggled them slowly. As he stared, he heard the Goddesses' words in his mind, but they were slightly different than he remembered.

"If you choose to return to the mortal realm, we are sending you back to earn redemption and make up for the pain and darkness that William spread / not for Will to carry on the way he had been / I'm glad you agreed to our terms, Ciara."

Her name echoed through his mind, and William felt a cold weight settle in his stomach.

Not her. Please not her. He hadn't thought about her in almost three decades...

He tried to push the thoughts away like he always did. He'd been fighting those memories since he was fourteen. And he'd been able to keep them away since he was eighteen. This time was different.

The sensations started surfacing, forcing their way out of the depths. First his ears began to ring, then he could smell the dust and the acrid smoke. He could see the rubble, the shattered wall. Splintered wood and broken glass.

The image shifted, coming around a corner where part of the wall was still standing. That's when the blood came into view, and then he spotted her messy black hair. And there she was. Her small body lay broken and bloody, half buried in the mess of bricks and plaster.

Next came the overwhelming grief. Stomach-twisting, mind-numbing grief. Vision was blurred by tears, then started growing darker as if the world itself was retreating. Dizziness took hold, and it became impossible to know which way was up.

Then something new, unexpected. There was a feeling of waking up, and of elation, excitement. At the same time there was a sensation of falling backwards, and an overwhelming weariness. Then finally, darkness and sleep.

=:= Zoe =:=

Sudden movement and noises next to her pulled her out of her dreams. Zoe stifled a groan and opened one eye a crack.

Cindy was sort of sitting up but at the same time curled up tight. She had her knees pulled up close and her arms wrapped around them, and her head was tilted down so her face was hidden against her knees. Zoe could see the small blonde's breathing was coming in short ragged gasps.

She quietly moved to sit up as well, and gently wrapped her arms around her girlfriend.

"Nightmares?" she whispered as she held the small witch.

"Yeah..." Cindy whispered back, slowly starting to get herself under control again.

Zoe held her for a few more moments, then asked softly "Do you want to talk about it?"

Cindy shook her head, but then she sighed and whispered "It's the fifth today... I was dreaming about..." She trailed off, then just sighed. "You know."

"Yeah," Zoe sighed as well. "I'm sorry Cindy."

Neither of them liked to talk much about their pasts, but they had told each other a few things. She knew there was only one thing Cindy remembered clearly about her previous life, and that thing had happened three years ago today. Or three years ago tonight, rather.

With another sigh, Zoe knew there'd likely be more nightmares again tonight. They might even continue until Cindy's birthday on the fifteenth.

The anniversary of Cindy being cursed would be on the seventh, and Zoe knew the week after that had been very bad for her girlfriend. That was another thing Cindy didn't like to talk about, but she'd told Zoe at least some of it. She knew Cindy's new life hadn't started to improve until the fifteenth, when Jessica forgave her and she was granted sanctuary.

Eventually Cindy seemed to have calmed down again from the nightmares. She didn't look like she wanted to go back to sleep though, as she just sat there looking sad.

Zoe checked the time, then asked quietly "Wanna just get up? Its a little after six. We can go get something to drink anyways."

"Yeah, ok." Cindy nodded, and the two of them got out of bed. They paused to put something on, Cindy slipped on a yellow nightie and Zoe pulled on a navy blue nightshirt.

The rest of the house was quiet as they emerged from their room. They were halfway down the stairs when both were stopped in their tracks by a small excited voice.

"Kitty!"

There was a strange young girl kneeling on the leather sofa, staring over the back of the sofa at the two of them with wide eyes and a huge grin. Actually she was mostly staring at Zoe.

"Oh my gosh you're cute!" the girl exclaimed in a high-pitched voice, still beaming at them. She was speaking with a very pronounced Irish accent, and between that and the way she was almost squealing her words in excitement, it made her a little hard to understand.

Zoe and Cindy were both staring back at the strange kid. It was hard to guess her age, maybe about ten. Her skin was fair, almost pale in the pre-dawn light. Her hair was short but very messy, and looked to be as black as Nikki's. Her eyes were dark too, in the dim light they almost looked black.

Between the pale skin and the dark eyes and hair, it made the girl look a little creepy. Except she was wearing a small pink nightie that took away some of the spookiness of her hair and eyes. And Zoe could tell the kid had pink polish on her fingernails too.

"Who are you?" Cindy finally asked, sounding wary. "How did you get in here?"

Some of the kid's excitement seemed to vanish as her shoulders slumped. "I'm Ciara... Your Goddesses sent me here... I'm supposed to um, 'make amends' and stuff?"

Zoe and Cindy exchanged a look. This had to be the guy Arianrhod had captured on Thursday, after the attack on Nikki. It seemed pretty clear that the Goddess had done Her thing and then sent him back in the form of this little girl.

Cindy sighed, "We better wake the others up... Everyone's gonna need to know about this."

Zoe nodded. Before they could head back up the stairs though, the girl interrupted.

"Wait!" She was blushing as she asked, "Could someone tell me where the washroom is? I need to pee."

Zoe and Cindy exchanged another look. "You go get the others. I'll look after the kid."

Cindy sighed once more, "Stick me with the dangerous job huh... Ok, fine."

The small blonde turned and headed back up the stairs, while Zoe continued down. She motioned to the girl, "Come with me, Ciara."

She was a little surprised as the kid scrambled over the back of the sofa and dropped to her feet, rather than just getting up and walking around it. She moved quickly to walk alongside Zoe.

Ciara was small, standing nearly a foot shorter than Zoe. She guessed the kid was about four and a half feet, and probably weighed no more than eighty pounds.

"Are you a kitty? Or a girl?" Ciara asked as she walked with Zoe through the doorway in the back wall and into the hallway at the back of the house. She was staring back at Zoe's tail now as the two were walking.

"I'm both. I'm a catgirl." Zoe replied, stopping at a door. "That's the washroom. When you're done, just come back out the same way ok? I'll be out there.

"Ok thankyou!" The girl dashed into the washroom and closed the door behind her.

Zoe turned and headed back out front to the kitchen. She got the coffee machine started first, knowing most of the others would need caffein before they were ready to do any serious thinking. She poured a glass of juice for Cindy, and a half glass of milk for herself. Then she poured a second glass of juice, figuring the kid might want something to drink too.

Glass of milk in hand, Zoe took a seat at the dining table and waited for the others.

Ciara emerged from the back hall before anyone else came downstairs. Zoe told her, "There's juice on the counter if you want. Then come and sit here ok?"

The girl grinned "Thankyou!" She ran over to the kitchen and picked up one of the glasses of juice, then hurried back to where Zoe was sitting, and sat down in the chair next to the catgirl.

The kid had a few gulps of juice then asked, "What's your name?"

Cindy was coming back downstairs now. Zoe looked to her first and said, "There's juice waiting for you on the counter." Then she replied to the girl, "My name's Zoe. And that's Cindy."

"Thanks," Cindy replied quietly. She grabbed her glass and joined Zoe and Ciara at the table. "Sam's gonna wake up Jess and Kara. I didn't wanna be the one to drag those two outta bed. And Nikki was gonna ask the Goddess to fill her in. I'm sure everyone will be up and joining us in a few minutes."

"I'm sorry." Ciara sighed, her little shoulders slumped again. "I didn't mean to make everyone upset."

Zoe smiled as she had a sip of milk. "It's not your fault, kid. The Goddess didn't have to send you here in the wee hours of the morning."

The girl still looked sad, "I guess..."

Cindy drank some of her juice then commented to the girl, "You sound Irish. And your name's Irish too, isn't it?"

"Yes!" Ciara grinned. "Why?"

The blonde witch shrugged, "Just curious. Usually the Goddess does stuff in Welsh, if she's gonna do anything like that at all. Weird that she made you Irish and gave you an Irish name."

The girl frowned. "The Goddesses didn't name me Ciara, my parents did. And I'm Irish cos I'm from Ireland. I used to live in Belfast!"

Zoe frowned then looked at Cindy. Cindy was looking back at her, probably thinking the same thing.

"Ciara, you said our Goddess sent you here to make amends," Zoe asked, still frowning slightly. "Were you... Did you attack our friend a couple days ago? While she was in her car?"

The small girl sighed, her eyes going down as she stared at the table. "That was Will. He's my brother. I'm sorry about what he did... Sorry for everything he did. He got involved with those nasty men and... He did a lot of things I'm sorry for."

Cindy and Zoe exchanged another look.

"I think this is stuff we should wait to talk about." Cindy said quietly. "When everyone else is up."

Zoe nodded, "Yeah. I think you're right."

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

50