14. Disclosure, Discord
885 7 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=:= Tanya =:=

It was Monday, around eight o'clock in the evening, and Tanya knew her folks would have finished dinner by now. Mom was probably reading, dad would be in the den watching something on TV.

To be sure though, she used the clairvoyance spell and had a quick look in on them. She was half right. Both of them were in the den actually, watching TV together. Tanya didn't see anything out of the ordinary with them, which was reassuring.

"Ok cutie, wish me luck. I'll text you if I'm going to be late. If things go badly I'll be back here pretty quick. If it goes well, I might be an hour or two."

Brandi looked nervous. "Are you sure you want to do this alone? I feel like I should be there with you..."

Tanya shook her head, "It's safer if you stay here. I'll be fine. They can't hurt me, and I can just teleport back here if things go seriously wrong."

She and Brandi exchanged a hug and a kiss. Then she stepped back and said, "You keep practicing your spells, I'll be checking your progress later."

Her girlfriend teased, "Ooh, will I get a spanking if I haven't done my homework?"

Tanya giggled, "Mmmm, maybe you'll get the spanking if you've done it. See you soon."

With that, she closed her eyes and focused on her parents' home. Her parents hadn't done anything to her old bedroom since she'd moved out, apart from tidying it up. She worked the spell, and a few moments later she was back.

She emerged from her room and headed down the stairs towards the den. She stopped at the doorway and greeted her parents, "Hi mom, hi dad."

Her mom jumped to her feet, "Tanya! I didn't hear you come in!" Mom hurried over and pulled her into a hug, "What brings you here unannounced?"

Dad was on his feet now too, he sounded a little concerned as he asked "Everything ok sweetheart?"

Tanya hugged her mom, then her dad. She was already feeling stressed though and she was sure they could tell.

"We need to talk... There's some things I have to tell you." Her voice was serious, and her parents exchanged a worried glance.

Dad grabbed the remote and turned off the TV then said, "Let's sit down then and you can tell us what's on your mind."

The three of them settled back into the den together. Tanya took a deep breath then said, "I'm going to tell you some things that will be really difficult for you both to hear, and kind of painful for me to say. I want to do this though, because there's a really good chance you're going to hear it from someone else. And I'd rather you heard it from me first."

After a pause she added, "Some of this is going to sound completely crazy but I need you to listen and let me say what I need to say, before we get into any arguments or discussions on it."

Her parents were both looking worried now. Mom asked, "Tanya are you in some kind of trouble?"

She nodded, "Yes, I am. It's not the kind you're thinking of, though."

Her folks exchanged a worried glance, and dad said "Ok honey. What's this all about?"

Tanya took a deep breath then just started talking.

"It's about Tom. He didn't die before I was born, he wasn't my brother. He was me. You remember he died when he was five, and I was born a year later. I remember being him up till three years ago. I was twenty-two years old at the time. Then something happened, things changed. I was changed from a twenty-two year old man to a sixteen-year-old girl. One day I was a 3rd-year student at Brock, the next day I was back in grade eleven again at my old high-school. I went from playing rugby and hockey at Brock, to playing girls' soccer and hockey after school."

As she was talking, she could see her parents' expressions shifting back and forth between confusion, upset, and shock. When she finished, all three of them sat quietly for a few moments. Her parents were still trying to process everything she'd said.

Her dad finally spoke first. "Tanya... That's quite a tale. I'm going to skip over all the ways it's impossible, and instead ask: Why are you telling us this? What possible reason could you have, for telling your mother and I such an outlandish story?"

Tanya smiled slightly, "Thanks for cutting straight to the point, dad. I always liked that about you."

She took another deep breath, and answered. "Like I said, I wanted to tell you myself before anyone else could. I know some other people who's lives have had similar changes, and their families have already been 'contacted'. It's torn them apart. I honestly don't know if my telling you this stuff now will help. But I wanted to try... If it happens to you two, I'm hoping you'll remember I tried to tell you the truth."

Her parents were both frowning now. Mom asked, "Tanya what's this really all about? What's going on?"

She sighed. "I know you don't believe that stuff I just told you, but humour me. Pretend it's true, and think about what that means. Your son Tom grew up, he went to college, he was in his third year there. And then one day he was gone, and in his place was a teen girl. Your memories would have to have been altered. To make you remember the son died as a child, and make you remember having a girl and raising her."

Both her parents were silent now, as they were following her words and realizing the implications, if her story were true.

Tanya continued, "Now imagine what would happen if all those years of changed memories suddenly vanished. The girl's still there and the son isn't, but you suddenly remember that the boy didn't really die. You don't know what happened to him, and you don't understand how this girl weaved her way into your life."

Her parents were still quiet, and both were looking more uncomfortable.

"Tanya, this sounds like some kind of sci-fi horror story..." Dad said, his voice quiet. "It might make a good plot for a book or a movie... But what you're talking about is impossible."

She nodded, "It's been a horror story for my friends who've experienced it. I'm not allowed to tell you how these things happened. And I can't give you any proof that it has happened. Like I said, I'm hoping that me telling you this stuff myself will help you understand... If they contact you two and you remember what really happened, I hope you'll remember me telling you this stuff."

She watched as her parents looked at each other again. They still looked very uncomfortable.

Mom then asked, "Tanya... Pretending this is all true... What actually happened? I mean... Young men don't just become teen girls overnight. How could that happen? And why? And why wouldn't you have said something about this before now?"

Dad hesitated, then asked, "Was it something you wanted? Did you...was Tom...were you trans?"

Tanya shook her head, sighing. "I really can't say too much... Here's what I can say. It was an accident, it was unexpected. I wasn't trans, I didn't want to be a girl. But it was also more or less permanent, so I was stuck. That's when everything else was changed. I was changed so I was comfortable and happy with being a girl, and your memories were changed to remember me this way. All sorts of other stuff was changed too... My bedroom went from being Tom's old room to my girly room with the pink wallpaper. The high-school even had my registration and stuff, and people at university forgot about Tom."

Her dad was frowning. "Tanya... You really believe this happened, don't you?"

"Yes dad." Tanya nodded. "I really do."

He asked, "And you think someone is going to contact us, and tell us all this stuff? Why would someone do that?"

Tanya sighed, "They won't talk to you in person. From what I've heard, they send a letter. And they're doing it, to drive families apart. They want to make you two hate and distrust me. They'll want you to disown me, to cut me off, to never talk to me again."

Mom looked shocked, "Tanya that's horrible! Why would someone do that?"

She sighed once more, "I can't say."

"Why not?" dad asked. "You've said that a few times, Tanya. Why can't you just tell us everything?"

Tanya hesitated, then finally replied "Right now, it might be dangerous for you two to know. When the threat is over, when all this is over and done with, I'll tell you everything. I promise that. But until then, I'm hoping you'll trust me enough to just accept what I've said."

Dad frowned. "Are you in danger too?"

"Yes." Tanya nodded slightly.

Her mom was about to say something, when they heard the doorbell ring.

Dad frowned, "Who could that be?" He got up, "You ladies sit tight, I'll be right back."

While he went to answer the door, mom said quietly "Tanya, this is all crazy. None of this stuff you've told us is possible."

"I know mom," Tanya nodded. "It still needed to be said. I knew neither of you would believe it and I still needed you to know."

Her mom sighed, shaking her head slowly.

"It was just some kid," dad said as he came back to the den. "Dropped off a letter for us."

As soon as he walked into the room, Tanya felt the magic. Her eyes went straight to the white envelope in her dad's hand. She could see it was addressed to both her parents, there was no stamp and no return address. Her heart skipped a beat and she stood up.

"Dad. That's the letter."

He frowned, "What?" He hadn't opened it yet, he was just holding the sealed envelope.

Tanya gulped, unable to hide her anxiety. "Everything I was just telling you both. That's the letter. When you open it, it's going to change your memories. All the stuff I told you, you're going to remember it."

Dad looked down at the envelope in his hand, frowning. After a few moments he asked, "Should I just throw it out? We don't have to open it."

Tanya shook her head "I... I can't tell you what to do. I have to go. I don't want to be here when you open it, if that's what you decide to do." She started moving for the door, "Just please, remember everything we talked about tonight. I have to get home, I have to make sure Brandi is ok."

Her mom got to her feet, "We'll see you out -"

"No." Tanya said, interrupting her. "Incase they're watching the house. They can't see me here with you. I'm going to go up to my old room, and sneak out from there. Don't follow, don't look for me."

"Honey you're scaring us." Mom looked and sounded nervous now.

"I'm sorry mom. I love you both. Good bye."

Tanya gave her mom a quick hug, and then her dad. She was careful to avoid the envelope in his hand as she hugged him. Then she hurried up the stairs and into her old room. She closed the door behind her, and closed her eyes, focusing on her apartment.

As soon as she was home, she felt Brandi's arms around her.

"Are you ok?" Brandi asked, sounding anxious. "How did it go?"

Tanya hugged her back then said, "If you're gonna do the same thing, do it right now Brandi. Call your folks, talk to them."

The cute redhead looked nervous, "Why? What happened?"

"My parents got the letter while I was still there. Your family's might be on its way now too."

Brandi went pale. "Oh no..." She shook her head. "I can't, Tanya... I can't tell them. I'm not brave enough."

Tanya sighed, "What if I go with you? We can take a ride-share over and visit... "

Brandi shook her head again. "I just can't face them and tell them all that stuff... I'm sorry..."

Tanya pulled her girlfriend into another hug. "Ok Brandi. You don't have to apologize. I don't even know if telling them will help anyways..."

After a few moments, Brandi pulled away. She went into the kitchen, then returned with a couple drinks. She offered a glass of wine to Tanya, and she had a mixed drink for herself. Something with fruit juice and grenadine, sweet and fruity as usual.

They settled together on the sofa.

A little while later, as Tanya finished the last of her wine, her phone rang. She checked the display, and saw it was her folks.

She gulped, then answered the phone. "Hi... what's up?"

It was her mom. "Are you driving?" She could tell her mom was upset or stressed.

"No mom, I'm not driving." Tanya braced herself, asking "Is everything ok?"

Her mom hesitated, then said softly "It's true. Everything you told us..."

She felt her stomach lurch. "Is... Are you both ok? Is dad ok?"

"We're ok... Your father... He's upset, but he'll be ok..." Mom hesitated again. "I think we're going to need some time to process this."

Tanya sighed, "I understand, mom. I'm sorry. I love you both."

Her mother hung up without another word.

She put her phone down on the coffee table, then looked at Brandi and sighed. "They opened the letter."

=:= Sharon =:=

Sharon had another sip of coffee as she continued reading the Lifestyle section of the paper. She had another fifteen minutes before she had to head out.

"Who was that at the door?" she asked, as her husband wandered back into the kitchen. It was unusual to have someone knocking at eight o'clock in the morning.

When he didn't answer she glanced up at him, then frowned. He looked pale, and had a shocked, confused expression on his face. He was holding a sheet of paper in one hand.

"Phil? Are you ok?" Sharon asked, suddenly concerned.

He stumbled to the table and slumped down in his chair. "It was a courier... A letter. About Brendan..."

Sharon frowned at him. "It's been almost ten years, Phillip. You know better than to call her that."

He held up the piece of paper for her. "Read it, Sharon."

Still frowning, she took the letter and looked down at it. As she touched it, she felt something strange. Just for a brief moment, like the tiny hairs on her arm stood up.

The note itself was nothing. It was short, double-spaced, printed in Times. It read like a form letter. It was addressed to 'Phillip and Sharon Hewett' but beyond that it didn't have any other personal information. It didn't refer to Brandi by name at all.

The letter just said their child was not who she seemed, and that they had been deceived. It was only a few lines long, and at the bottom instead of a signature or a sender's name, there was just a line of gibberish. They weren't even letters, just strange nonsensical markings.

As her eyes skimmed to the end of the page, Sharon felt the hairs on her arms stand up again. And then it was like a door opened in her mind.

Suddenly the past decade was entirely different. She looked up in shock, her eyes meeting Phil's.

"Oh my god." The piece of paper slipped from her fingers, winding up on the floor under the table.

Brendan hadn't come out to them as trans when he was ten. Their boy wasn't a short, slightly built redhead like his mom. He didn't transition in middle school, or change his name to Brandi.

Their son was a big, muscular lad, who took after his father. He followed his dad's dream and got into football, and Brendan was good at it. He even won a scholarship for it. By the time he started college he was six feet tall, broad shouldered, handsome...

What happened to him?! Who was that tiny redhead they thought was their daughter, and why did they believe Brendan had been trans?

Sharon could feel her heart-rate had spiked and her hands were shaking. She placed her hands flat on the table and took a few slow, deep breaths. Forcing herself to calm down, she glanced at her husband.

Phil was still looking shocked, staring blankly at the rest of his breakfast. His skin was pale and he had a stunned, slightly haunted look in his eyes.

Once she had herself calmed down, Sharon asked "Phil, are you all right?"

"No, hon." His voice was monotone, and his expression remained unchanged.

Sharon said, "Have some water. Take a few deep breaths, and try to relax. I... There has to be a rational explanation for this." She taught physics at a local high-school. She was a rational woman. She knew whatever just happened, there had to be an explanation.

Phil hadn't moved, so Sharon got up and got him some water. She set the glass down infront of him, then took her own seat. She finished her coffee, as she continued thinking.

Reading that letter had done something to her mind, her memories. Did it restore lost memories? Or did it implant false ones? She could still remember their child admitting she was really a girl, but that felt wrong, artificial. Along with everything that happened after that, it all felt false. The memories of Brendan growing up to be a talented football player seemed more real.

Sharon knew that could be a trick of the mind, though. She knew memory was notoriously unreliable.

An idea occurred, and she checked in the living-room. A moment later she returned to the kitchen with the framed photo she'd taken from the wall. It was Brandi's high-school graduation picture.

"Phil, look at this." She showed her husband the picture. "That letter did something to our memories... The memories can't be real though. Brandi must have transitioned, we have pictures of her from two years ago, we have pictures of her graduation."

Her husband stared at the picture, but he looked unconvinced. "But I remember... Brendan played football. He was doing all the stuff I always dreamed he would..."

Sharon said, "Memory is fallible. And we've got physical evidence that our memories are wrong. I bet if we look through the photo albums we'll see Brandi. And we'll find the paperwork and notes and everything from her transition in my filing cabinet."

Phillip shook his head slowly, and a frown formed on his face. "It's all lies, Sharon... I don't know how this stuff is here." He gestured at the picture frame. "It's wrong though. Lies."

She frowned as well. It was difficult to remember details about Brandi now. When she tried thinking of the past, she kept recalling Brendan instead. It was almost like she had to fight to remember her daughter's life.

Looking at the graduation picture again, Sharon recalled something clearly. "Phil, remember when Brendan graduated? Remember when he won that football scholarship?"

Her husband smiled, "It was the proudest moment of my life, Sharon. Of course I remember!"

"Did Brendan look happy to you?"

Phil's smile faltered. "He was happy, he was proud. He'd made his old man happy..."

Sharon shook her head. "He wasn't smiling. He never smiled. Do you remember that? Brendan almost never smiled."

Her husband started to look conflicted. "What are you saying, Sharon?"

She frowned, "I'm not sure yet what's going on. I don't know what's happened to our minds. But regardless of what we remember... I don't think Brendan was happy with his life. I think our child is Brandi now, and I think she's happy." After a pause, Sharon said, "I'm going to call her."

Phillip frowned, then shook his head. "I don't... I'm not so sure. I can't shake the feeling that Brandi's... Not real. It's like we didn't even know her till a month or two ago. We've only met her a few times..."

Sharon nodded "I know. She was here at thanksgiving though, and you remember how happy she was? She brought Tanya with her, and they looked so happy together. Brendan never had a girlfriend, I don't think he ever went on a single date."

Her husband just frowned, staring quietly at the table.

As Sharon stood up, she spotted the letter under the table. She reached for it, then hesitated. She tore a page out of the newspaper she was reading, and folded it over a couple times, then used that to pick up the mystery letter. She had no idea how it had affected the two of them, but if it was some kind of drug or chemical coating, she didn't want either herself or her husband to touch it again.

She dropped the page into the sink and started running hot water over it, and then added a squirt of dish soap to be sure.

"What in the world are you doing?" Phil asked, sounding confused.

"Destroying this note." Sharon stated. "I don't know what the mechanism was, but it affected our minds. It's dangerous."

With the paper completely sogged, she stuffed it into the garburator using a fork, then turned it on. Once the note was safely shredded and flushed, Sharon thoroughly washed her hands. Then she grabbed her phone and sat down in the living-room. She took a deep breath, then called Brandi.

She answered after the third ring. "Hello...?" Her child's voice sounded smaller than usual, more nervous.

"Brandi?" Sharon asked. "Are you ok?"

"Hi mom... I'm ok thanks. How are you?" She definitely sounded stressed, and sounded like she was trying to hide it.

Sharon hesitated, then answered. "Your father and I received a strange letter this morning, and..."

She heard a noise, it sounded like the girl had dropped her phone. There was the sound of some fumbling, then when Brandi spoke, her voice was wavering. "Is... Are you both ok?"

Sharon's voice was a little harder as she responded. "You know about this, don't you? What's going on?"

Her daughter's voice was breaking up a bit, Sharon knew the girl was fighting tears now. "I'm sorry mom... Someone's... They're going after my friends and I... They're messing with people's memories...To drive us apart..."

"How?" she demanded. "How are they doing this? And why?"

Brandi sobbed a little, "I can't say. It's complicated..." There was a pause, and another sob. "Do you and dad still know me? Or do you... Do you only remember him now?"

Sharon closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Keeping her voice level she replied, "I'm trying to be objective about this, Brandi. I'm very confused though. I want to understand. Please tell me what's going on."

There were a few more sobs, before Brandi replied, "I'm still me... I didn't really come out when I was ten though. It all just happened in September, and... I can't say how. It was... Call it a miracle. I'll tell you someday, I promise! I'm sorry mom... I have to go. It's... It might be dangerous for us to talk more now."

Frowning, Sharon said "There's no such thing as miracles, and it's impossible to 'transition' so drastically and totally, and all at once."

There were more sounds of crying, before Brandi spoke again. "I know mom... That's why they had to hide it...make it seem like it happened in the past... I can't say anything else and I'm sorry. I love you. Tell dad I love him too. Bye."

The line went dead, and Sharon sighed deeply.

She wasn't sure what to believe any more.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

54