25. Outcomes & Outcasts
822 5 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

=:= Samantha =:=

Sam looked around the table at everyone present. After everything that happened on Thursday, she and Nikki called another mandatory coven meeting for today. They'd all taken Friday and Saturday to recover and process things a little. It seemed like the immediate threat was over, at least for now.

There were three faces missing from the meeting, three chairs left empty. Becky was gone, and now they'd lost Zoe too. Cindy was absent as well, though Sam and Nikki were positive that was by choice. They knew Cindy took Becky's death hard. Losing her girlfriend last week may have been more than the small witch could handle.

She looked around the table again, taking in all the sad, thoughtful expressions.

To her left, Nikki was looking stoic, putting on a strong face for the coven. Along the left side of the table sat Kara, Jessica, Tanya, and Brandi.

Kara wore a slight frown, but was otherwise impassive. Jessica looked sad, Sam knew her sister was worried about Cindy and sad for their losses. Tanya was still dealing with the loss of Becky, and now ontop of that she was sad about Zoe and worried about Cindy.

On the right side of the table sat Maria, then Amanda, Sadie, and Ashley. The social worker looked stressed and worried. The three teens were all sad and upset.

Nicole finally started things off. "Thanks for coming, friends. I know it's been a difficult few days, and a difficult month. Hopefully we can all take a bit of a break now. As you know, the Brotherhood no longer have a presence in Canada, though we expect they'll be back again at some point."

Samantha took over, "We've all heard by now about the events on Thursday. Or at least, as best we can piece things together. Until Cindy tells us her side of things, there's still a few unanswered questions."

When Sam paused, Kara spoke up. "I should have been there. I should have been contacted. As the coven's champion and protector, I have the skill and experience to deal with that sort of situation. We already knew the Brotherhood were well organized and were operating like a quasi-military group."

Their tone started off sounding frustrated, and gradually shifted to low-level anger. "Zoe and Cindy should have known better than to try taking on three armed, dangerous, highly trained professionals by themselves. It was not a situation for a couple inexperienced girls to rush in and wing it!"

Kara paused a moment, then sighed. They looked across the table at the three teens, "I'm not blaming you three."

All three teens looked sad and guilty. Ashley looked most upset, just staring down at the table. She looked like she was holding back some tears. Sam knew the girl still blamed herself for what happened to Zoe.

Jess said softly, "Kara we were busy at QSAW. You, me, and Maria. Between Trevor and the cops... Even if they had tried to contact you, it might have been too late by the time we got the message."

Kara sighed, but frowned. They didn't respond to Jessica, and instead looked back toward Sam and Nikki. "As a group we need better organization, we should have thought about this sort of scenario. We definitely need better communications amongst ourselves, so people know who to contact and how to respond when there's trouble or threats."

After another brief pause, Kara finished up saying "Rushing in as they did cost us Zoe. And that seems to have pushed Cindy over the edge. Now thanks to her rampage, we've lost any chance of getting our hands on one of the Brotherhood's inside men. We have no idea what they've done with Zoe, if she's alive or dead. We have no idea what else they might have been planning. We're right back where we were at the start of the month, except we've lost three of our people."

Jessica shook her head, "Not three. We haven't lost Cindy."

"She's not here, is she?" the coven champion pointed out with a little more anger in their tone again. "She's not here, she's not helping us. And she went and deliberately killed that analyst rather than bring him back as the Goddess wanted. Now she's off hiding somewhere, shielding herself so we can't even find her with magic. Cindy might not be dead, but she's not working with us."

"All right, that's enough." Samantha stated. "Kara, you've made some good points. I think Nikki and I need to have a conversation with you later. The three of us can discuss your concerns and suggestions."

"Jess, we're all worried about Cindy." Nicole said softly. "I'm sure she'll return to us when she's ready."

Nikki turned her attention to the other side of the table. "Maria, how is everyone holding up over there?"

The older woman sighed. "We're managing, barely." She glanced at the girls to her right, then said "They're all feeling bad about what happened to Zoe and Cindy. We've also been trying to explain things to Jenny and Beth."

"Are they at home?" Sam asked.

"Yes," Maria replied. "Brittany agreed to baby-sit, not that the girls feel they need it." She sighed again, "We'd managed to keep the two of them sheltered from all of this. After Thursday though, all that's gone out the window."

Sam noticed Sadie shaking her head slightly, looking like she didn't agree with something Maria had said.

"Sadie," she asked. "There's something you disagree with? Say what's on your mind, please."

The brunette teen blushed, clearly she hadn't expected to be speaking in front of the coven. She straightened up in her chair.

Her voice was quiet as she said "Beth hasn't been as sheltered as we'd all thought. She barely talks, but she's always watching and listening. I spoke with her a little on Friday, just the two of us. She knows a lot more than we all give her credit for. I think she suspects she used to be Liz. She even noticed when Brittany changed. I don't think she knows it's magic or witchcraft specifically, but she knows there's been a lot of what she calls 'weird stuff' going on all around her."

Samantha saw both Amanda and Maria looked surprised and uncomfortable as Sadie was speaking. Ashley was still just staring sadly at the table.

Maria stared at Sadie, "Why didn't you mention this before?"

"I'm mentioning it now, Maria." Sadie replied. "We haven't had a chance to talk without either Jenny or Beth around."

Nikki asked, "Sadie? Was Beth upset or bothered by any of this?"

The teen shook her head, "She's not upset. And she's not bothered, it's like nothing phases that girl." She sighed, "Beth is just very confused. She really, really wants someone to sit down and explain things to her. She's..." Sadie hesitated, as her voice faltered.

Sadie continued after a brief pause, "Since she came back, she's been perpetually confused, desperately trying to understand who she is and what's happening around her. She just keeps quiet and listens, hoping to pick up some clues so she can figure out what's going on, who she is, or who she's supposed to be."

Maria sighed. "I'll talk with her."

"No," Sadie shook her head. "Let me. Please? She opened up to me on Friday."

"Ok Sadie," Maria nodded slowly. "Thank you."

The social worker then turned back to face Samantha and Nicole again. "This isn't related to the Brotherhood or the situation with Cindy and Zoe, and I know we've all had a lot of other things on our mind the past few days. But what are we going to do with Trevor? He came to QSAW for help."

Samantha sighed, "I know, Maria. He's been ok staying at the retreat the past couple days, but it's closed during the week. There won't be any staff there past six o'clock tonight."

"It probably isn't safe for him anywhere else in town," Kara said. "At least some of the police seem to be friends with his father, and possibly someone at city hall, too. That rules out sending him to a local hotel or hostel, or the usual social services."

Jessica commented, "This is one of those situations where an instant magical transition would be best, in my opinion. His dad won't find him if he's not Trevor anymore."

"He's still questioning, Jess." Maria pointed out. "He's not sure yet what he wants to do."

"I know," Jessica sighed. "Maybe we could set him up somewhere out of town? A hotel in Toronto maybe, then Tanya and Brandi could keep an eye on him for a while?"

Tanya and Brandi both looked up when their names were mentioned.

"We're not really in a tourist area, I have no idea what hotels are near us." Tanya said quietly. "We have a sofa he could crash on, but it's not exactly first-class accommodations..."

"Thanks Tanya," Samantha said.

Nicole asked, "Maria, I know you have a lot on your plate, but can you, Jess and Kara, and maybe Sam, talk with him some more before we decide to ship him off somewhere? I'm not suggesting you try and rush him into any decisions, but get a better idea from him what his thoughts are. And see what he says about accommodations, and our concerns for his safety."

Sam saw the three of them nodd in agreement. She thought things through, then said "I suppose it's ok to let him stay at the retreat for now, if he doesn't mind being there alone. He'll have to take care of his own meals and things, but the kitchen's stocked. I'll just need to show him where everything is."

"Thank you Samantha," Maria said. "We can talk with him and see if we can sort something out."

"I'd also like to get his father 'sorted out'." Kara grumbled. "Who knows how many other lives he's ruined, preaching hate and intolerance."

Nikki looked at the enby and said, "Perhaps that opportunity will come, Kara. But let's not go looking for any more trouble just yet."

Samantha nodded in agreement. She looked back at Maria again and asked, "Was that everything, Maria?"

"No," Maria shook her head. "What's the situation with Ciara?"

Sam replied, "She's upset. She really liked Zoe, and she was warming up to Cindy too."

"She's in the guest room at the moment, watching cartoons." Nikki added. "We asked her to stay there during the meeting."

Maria clarified, "I meant the long-term situation. I know the Goddess sent her here to help us with this threat, but she's a living breathing person. She's not just a tool or a database for us to query as needed. She's going to need an education, she's going to need to make friends. She can't just sit around watching cartoons and answering questions about the Brotherhood, only to be cast aside once the threat is over."

"We don't actually know that." Nicole pointed out. "I mean, the living breathing part. She died in 1992."

"She's alive right now." Maria stated firmly. "Whether the Goddess brought her back somehow or created her from her brother's memories, it doesn't matter. She's here now, and she deserves to be treated properly."

Sam sighed, "You're right, Maria."

"She might not want or need to go to school," Kara suggested. "I mean, she has access to all the knowledge and experience William had, so all his education is probably still in her head."

Maria shook her head, "She still needs friends, people her age. She needs a proper life. Just having access to the information isn't the same thing. She needs those experiences herself."

"All right, Maria." Samantha said. "You and I can try and figure out something for her."

=:= Maria =:=

With the meetings finally over, the four of them were heading home now. They'd taken Maria's car since the girls couldn't teleport themselves yet. And Maria was letting them take turns driving, so they could all get more practice.

At the moment Ashley was behind the wheel, and Sadie was in the passenger seat. Amanda and Maria were both in the back. Maria hoped letting Ashley drive this afternoon might help distract the girl from her emotions, at least for a little while.

"Aunt Maria, I was wondering..."

Maria looked over at the teen, "What is it Amanda?"

Amanda took a deep breath and asked, "Since Brittany basically met most of the coven last week and she knows about magic and stuff, and since she sort of helped save us on Thursday... Do you think she'd be allowed to join the coven someday?"

Maria sighed. She took a few moments to think things through, then finally asked "Has she been asking about it again?"

"No," Amanda replied. "She hasn't mentioned it since she was cursed, actually. This is just me being curious."

Maria was glad to hear that. "It really isn't the best time right now Amanda. I don't think the coven is looking to bring anyone else in. Perhaps in the future Brittany will be invited, but right now I think it's best to drop the idea."

Amanda sighed quietly but nodded, "Ok. Thanks Maria."

After a few quiet seconds, Sadie teased "If Brittany was in the coven, who would we get to babysit Jenny and Beth?"

"Jenny and Beth are thirteen, they don't need a babysitter," Amanda replied. She sounded a little grumpy as she added, "And my girlfriend isn't here just to provide free babysitting services."

Sadie giggled, "Your what? What did you just say, sis?"

Amanda blushed brightly and turned away to hide her face, staring out the window instead.

"Sadie!" Maria said firmly. She knew Amanda was still coming to terms with the changes she and her friend had gone through.

"I'm sorry, Amanda," Sadie apologized. "I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean to upset you."

There was enough sincerity in her voice, Maria was satisfied she was being genuine.

Maria sighed again, closing her eyes. She had enough going on right now, without having to worry about bringing another teen into the mix. She knew it would fall on her to supervise Brittany's training if she were to join, and she already had her hands full with these three.

And she had another teenager on her mind right now, thinking about Trevor. She'd left the three girls waiting while she went over to the retreat to speak with him, along with Jessica, Kara, and Sam.

Trevor was grateful for being allowed to stay there, and he didn't mind having to prepare his own meals. He looked like he felt bad about imposing, but Samantha was adamant that he was welcome to stay for now, until things got sorted out. Everyone agreed it wasn't safe for him to be out around town, thanks to his father's connections.

Right now, his main concern was figuring himself out. He'd managed to locate his old friend on social media and had started exchanging messages with her. He was trying to arrange to meet with her, he said. He wanted to rekindle their friendship, and he was hoping she could help him figure things out, since she'd managed to figure herself out a few years ago.

At least that situation seemed to be progressing. Maria had no idea yet what to do about the other one.

Samantha seemed unwilling to take Ciara in permanently, she didn't think she and Nikki would be suitable to adopt the girl. And Maria was reluctant as well. She didn't have anything against the child, but she was already trying to adopt four teens. Their house was already full and she was in well over her head as it is.

She wished the Goddess would have put more thought into the situation, rather than bringing Ciara back to life and then all but abandoning her on the coven's doorstep.

Maria put those thoughts away for now, as the car finally came to a halt and Ashley put it in park.

"Thanks for letting me drive, Maria." the brunette said. She was still speaking softly, but she sounded slightly better now. "I think I've driven more in the past two weeks than I did in the previous year. I almost never got the chance with my folks..."

Maria could almost hear the frown come across the girl's face, from the sadness that came into her voice as it trailed off.

"You're welcome, Ashley." Maria replied, opening her eyes.

Ashley hadn't turned off the engine yet, she still had both hands on the wheel, but her head was tilted forward and the look on her face told Maria everything. The girl was getting more and more homesick, and she missed her parents.

Sadie reached over and put a hand on her girlfriend's shoulder. "It'll be ok, Ash. They'll come around. You'll see."

Maria sighed again, and said "Let's get inside, girls." She undid her seatbelt and climbed out of the car.

=:= Cindy =:=

Cindy stared quietly up at the sky. It was a bright sunny day and the sky was mostly clear, just a few puffy white clouds visible in the distance. There was a gentle breeze coming in off the ocean, and the rhythmic sound of the waves breaking on the shore was relaxing.

She was laying in a grassy field in a small park, overlooking a pretty beach. Beyond that was the sea.

The park was in a small community along the Great Ocean Road. She'd teleported herself to Melbourne last night, then hitchhiked and eventually wound up a few hours drive south-west of the city. This looked like a quiet, peaceful place, so this is where she stopped.

It was somewhere around mid-afternoon now, or middle of the night back home. And it was late spring here, which was nice.

Cindy was still wearing the same outfit she'd had on three or four days ago, when she took care of those Brotherhood guys. The clothes were dirty now, with an assortment of rips and scuffs from the car crash she'd been in.

Hidden beneath her clothes, she was wearing three amulets around her neck. The first two were the physical and magical protection charms worn by the rest of the coven. The third was another of her little secret side-projects. As long as she wore it, she was invisible to scrying.

She'd convinced herself she needed some time away, she needed some time alone. Time to grieve. Part of it though, was she knew she was probably in trouble and she didn't want to face her friends. She had a feeling that some of the lines she crossed on Thursday were things she wouldn't be able to come back from.

Cindy knew she looked like a homeless teen right now. Between the scuffed and torn clothes and the fact that she couldn't remember the last time she'd eaten, or showered for that matter, she knew she didn't look all that great.

In a way it was like she'd come full circle. Just over three years ago, she'd begun this life as a lost, lonely, homeless teen. And now here she was, lost, lonely, and more or less homeless. The only difference was back then she'd been helpless, now she was nothing of the sort. She wasn't exactly homeless either, of course. She knew she had a bed, a place to stay back at the vineyard. But that wasn't home anymore.

Home was wherever Zoe was, and now Zoe was gone.

Cindy sighed, and wondered how long she could get away with laying here before someone called the cops on her or tried to get her to leave. She'd been here since just before dawn, and in all that time only a few people had walked past. So far though, no-one had tried to talk to her.

A few moments after she'd thought about it, she heard the sound of someone approaching. Their footfalls were quiet but she heard them moving towards her, across the grass of the park. It was as if the universe had read her mind, and sent someone to kick her off the lawn.

A moment later a pair of black ankle-boots came into view just to her right. Looking up, she saw the goth woman the boots were attached to. Her long jet-black hair was moving slightly in the breeze, and her intense blue eyes sparkled like sunlight on the ocean waves.

Cindy sighed again and closed her eyes. "How'd you find me?"

Arianrhod lowered herself onto the grass, adjusting her skirt as she sat cross-legged beside Cindy. When She spoke, Her voice was level, revealing neither anger nor compassion. "You are one of My children, Cindy. You wear My mark on your wrist. You cannot hide from Me."

With a frown, Cindy asked "Why are you here?"

The Goddess replied, "Your friends are worried about you. They'd like you to return home to them. They miss you."

Cindy was still laying flat on the ground, and hadn't opened her eyes yet. She shrugged, but didn't respond.

After a few moments, Arianrhod said "You need water, Cindy. And food. You need to look after yourself."

She opened one eye, looking at the Goddess as she asked "Why?"

"Your friends still need you," She replied.

Cindy frowned, looking at Her with both eyes now. "Is that why you're here? You need me too?"

Arianrhod shook Her head slightly. "I'm just here to remind you, you have other friends. You haven't lost them all."

Closing her eyes again, Cindy sighed once more. "Now that you've brought Nikki here, they'll all know where I am."

"No. I waited until Nicole was asleep before coming to see you. If you wish to remain lost, I won't expose you."

That brought a little frown to Cindy's face. She looked up at Arianrhod again and asked "I thought you stopped using Nikki like that years ago?"

She replied, "That was Dôn's promise. Ceridwen also chooses to honour it."

"Huh." Cindy wasn't sure yet what to make of that, so she just closed her eyes again.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Eventually, the Goddess commented, "I hadn't know of this place before. Did you pick it intentionally?"

"Nope," Cindy replied. "I just hitched a ride to get out of the city, and stopped here because I liked the look of the park and beach."

"This community is called Wye River," Arianrhod observed.

"So?" Cindy asked.

"There's a Wye River in Wales you know, though we called it the Afon Gwy," the Goddess explained. "It flows past Monmouth."

Cindy sat up, frowning at Her. "So? What does it all mean?"

"I believe," Arianrhod replied, speaking slowly, thoughtfully, "That this is what you call a 'coincidence'."

Cindy stared at Her. She couldn't tell if the Goddess was serious, if She was trying to make a joke, or if She was just messing with her. Finally she just turned to stare at the beach, watching the waves breaking against the sandy shore.

After a few more minutes of silence, Arianrhod stated "I can see you aren't ready to return yet. So be it. I will leave you to your self-pity. Before I take my leave, I have a gift for you."

Suddenly there was a small dark grey backpack on the grass between them.

"I've brought you some clean clothes and a few other belongings, your phone, and some local currency." Arianrhod explained. "Please consider getting yourself something to eat, Cindy. Perhaps rent a room and treat yourself to a bath."

Cindy looked down at the backpack and sighed, "I'll consider it. Thanks." After a moment, she added, "I didn't take you to be this caring. This is more the sort of thing I'd have expected from Ceridwen or Dôn, rather than you."

There was no answer, and when she looked up again, she realized the Goddess had already gone.

Alone again, she stared at the backpack. It was the one she'd been using when she and Zoe were touring around England and Wales last month.

Cindy realized that was exactly a month ago. It had been October twentieth when she and Zoe were attacked by those two guys. Today was the twentieth of November.

One month... It felt like a year.

If they hadn't been attacked that day, she and Zoe would have been in Monmouth that evening. They'd have been at the Wye River in Wales. Now she was here, at Wye River in Australia instead. She was here, but she was alone.

She slumped back down, feeling tears welling up again. A month ago she was happy. She was with Zoe, they were travelling, exploring, having fun together. They didn't have a care in the world. Now all of that was gone.

Cindy curled up as the renewed grief finally overwhelmed her, and she started crying once more.

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

49