Ch 31. Hunting with a Silver Spoon
12.1k 23 159
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Title Art has been commissioned. Bit of a wait, but should have it in two weeks or so.

Things were like day and night, having two experienced knights made hunting ridiculously easy compared to a beginner party or hunting by myself. 

The two knights shrugged off the muckrat attacks entirely, their expensive armor making them neigh impervious to near mere. Likewise mine did the same. We didn't bother picking targets at all, just killing everything we spotted. Mowing down muck rats was entertaining but it wasn't getting me levels like before, not to mention only a third of the kills were going to me. The one thing that did shock my guards was the 'space magic' of [inventory]. Seeing was different to hearing rumors after all. 

We neared closer to the forest than I had ever been before. Allowing me to appreciate the sheer size of the trees that I had until now just treated as background. Quickly I realized that most of the trees we had been seeing were in fact not the closest ones at all, the trees at the entrance to the forest were actually fairly normal sized. It was just that the forest stretched endlessly for as far as we could see, and the trees appeared increasingly taller the further off they were, the tallest of those we could see must be thirty or more miles away but they were so large they should be over a thousand foot or so for us to see them.

The muck rats became increasingly organized the further we pushed on, encountering massive bands of hundreds. Some appearing to ride overly large rats like steeds as they charged into battle. Muck rats were the dominant species in this area on the plains, but they weren't terribly fearsome as far as monsters went. They had limited strength and intelligence, their only competitive factor being their extremely quick reproduction. Any decently strong monster could dominate entire colonies and kill them in a night, which is why they didn't dare venture too close to the forest region. The beasts here wanted to move farther out, but Tromwell acted like a wall, killing most of them that came too close, so they were wedged between the forest and the city. In fact many frontier cities like Tromwell existed, dotting the entirety of the Eastern side of the kingdom and keeping monsters like the muck rats at bay. Not to mention the land here was attractive, being extremely fertile due to the influence of magic, and the idea of opening new lands was an attractive proposal for dealing with the excessive crowding in the capital. 

We were barely five miles out from the forest now, the rats had more access to wood and could now be seen carrying clubs and sharpened sticks. Charging in on giant rats and jousting with their stick-spears, while throwers assaulted us from a distance. But the technology they wielded was all too primitive, breaking easily on our defenses as we slaughtered them with impunity. The guards were fairly adept with their swords, which I supposed was expected of a knight, but it was something that I couldn't help but try to imitate. Turning off my sword mastery to ensure to highest effectiveness from this lesson. I was not worried at all for my safety in these battles, so it was a great opportunity now to watch experienced fighters while simultaneously power leveling my unused classes. Switching each out for a time to ensure an even spread of experience between them, maximizing the skill points I received. 

Pretty soon the now familiar light bathed over me, accompanied with the system's voice.

"Why are you doing this!?" He called out angrily and confused. He knew something was wrong with the way I was getting energy and had pleaded with me before to stop so he could figure things out. But I knew exactly what was causing it, and even if he could fix it, I wouldn't want him to. 

"System. I'm going to keep leveling, so why don't you shut up about it." Starting to get annoyed at the constant mental screaming whenever I leveled up. 

"Y-you rude man! Barbarian! I've never so insulted in my life!" The system ranted on, while I ignored him.

"Look, I know this is going to get you in trouble, but I'm not going to give up on leveling. What's even the point of a system if I don't make use of it?"  The system was silent for a moment before responding. 

"It's not just me that's going to get in trouble. You will too, there's no way around that fact."

This suddenly sounded a lot different than what I had heard.

"How does that happen? Surely I can't be punished for your mistakes, that doesn't make sense."

"You fool. Who's body do you think I'm inhabiting right now. I'm your system, how do you think they're going to get to me. Through you. "

"What kind of punishment are we talking about here?"

"Torture probably, and if that doesn't work. Death."

The consequences were suddenly a lot more personal, but I still wasn't going to throw away my benefits. This was the only thing separating me from a life of mediocrity. I decided to face the conversation with more seriousness. 

"Even so. I'm not going to stop."

"Then we are doomed." System said solemnly.

This guy's negativity was starting to get on my nerves. 

"So, how is it going to happen. This certain doom thing."

"They will try to deal with it through the followers here I expect. Even though we aren't in a dominant position on this planet, almost all the leadership among beastkin are devout followers. "

Something that's good to know. If beastkin were all I needed to be careful of then my situation wasn't all that bad. 

"If that fails, then I believe they'll move onto more direct methods. They'll send others like you. It's too expensive to send powerful beings across worlds, but they can certainly send experienced ones. Resetting the levels of elites and sending them towards us."

I clicked my tongue. That part really did sound like trouble. 

"Well System, looks like you and me are in this together. Let's do our best."

"Didn't you hear what I just told you?! This is all completely avoidable, for Goddess' sake just stop leveling!" The system wailed out despairing. 

159