New Job
1.8k 19 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’m starting to not be a fan of being knocked out, and not just because of why it happens. It seems that when it happens, I have this strange vision. As if I’m reliving something. It’s the same thing, me running around killing… No more than that, absolutely obliterating them. Then I see Saffron, wearing only tattered clothing, crying… My mind wants me to comfort her, but that’s when my body takes control.

Then, just as I’m about to deliver the killing blow…

“Uhhh…” I wake up, with the sight of the girl herself to greet me. What’s that all about? I hope it’s not a sight of a bitter future.

“You’re finally awake.” She smiles at me, along with lending a head pat. “What were you thinking? Attacking a princess like that.” Of course she’s a princess, but I’ll still defend my actions.

“She tried to kill!” I argue my case to her.

“With this?” She asks very unamused. Then she holds up in her hand, the arrow that was shot at me, or at least what I thought was an arrow. It’s a stick, with a suction cup instead of an arrowhead. Attached on it, is a piece of paper that reads dunce. “Plus, she’s 12.”

“12!?” I guess I was severely wrong on my assessment of the girl. She really was just some immature child, instead of some assassin that never physically grew.

“Why are you shocked at that?” She looks at me, like I’m crazy. But can you really blame me? I have her as an example of small body, but still aged. Actually, still to this day, I’ve never asked her age. I was drilled that you should never ask a woman their age, and while I don’t know if that applies here, I’m not about to try it. “Anyway, you should be lucky that the king is understanding. As much as her sister would love to see you executed.”

“I’m just saying, she shot first.” I guess I really dodged a bullet there. Or I guess the term is dodged the arrow.

“It looked pretty bad, but I’m sure you’re telling the truth.” Good thing that there’s someone I can count on to be on my side. “Unfortunately, you’re not gonna like what I’m about to say next.”

“Oh no.” What’s next on this oh-so-fun trip, that I’m going to have to deal with?

“You see, I have you leave you here.”

“Leave me? But I thought you said I wasn’t in trouble?”

“Oh, it’s nothing to do with that.” She clarifies to me, that she’s going out on an important trip. It was the thing that was discussed between her and the king. “I’ll be gone for a little while, so you need to stay here.”

“But, I want to go with you.” I really don’t want to stay, especially not when those two girls live here. “Even if it’s dangerous, I promise I can take care of myself.”

“It’s not really a matter of if you can stay safe.” As it turns out, she’s going with a decent amount of soldiers, and even the king himself. I thought she said this world was peaceful, what could possibly bring this type of response? “So, it’s kind of going to be your job to help keep this place safe.”

“When you say keep this place safe.”

“You have to protect the two princesses.” She answered quickly, that girl knows me too well.

Of course things would end up like this. Of all people I have to get in trouble with, it just had to be with those two. I guess my uninvited presence must’ve given the king the opportunity to allocate more troops for this mission. Speaking of, I wish she’d tell me, but apparently that has to be kept a secret from me.

“I guess we should officially introduce you all.” She says, and gets me out of bed. Now this is going to be the most awkward thing I’ll ever have to do in my life. And that’s saying something, speaking as the only kid that didn’t have anyone at the middle school dance.

The walk there is killing me. Meeting them formally, as well as telling them that I’m going to basically be their babysitter, this is just gonna be a recipe for disaster. She leads me into a room, it’s a bedroom for a little girl actually. That’s where we see the two sitting at a table.

“He-hello.” I wave my hand nervously to the older girl. She glares back at me in response, as her little not-so-welcoming greeting. The younger girl is only slightly more inviting.

“I remember you, you’re the lost guy that tried to kill me.” Her cheerful tone is at odds with the statement she just made about me.

“Okay, I just thought you were trying to kill me.” I repeat again, trying to defend myself on that incident.

“But mister, I’m 12.” All right fine, I might’ve overreacted. But come on, I’m not a villain here. “Anyway, are you here to apologize to me?” Her attitude absolutely kills me. If anything, this girl need to apologize for making me think that I was about to be killed.

“Um, yes.” Though, with her big sister in the room. Along with my foreseeable future job, it’s better to stay on their good side. “I’m sorry.”

“I forgive you.” Her nonchalant response almost gets me mad… Almost.

“Yeah, well I don’t.” The older one says to me. “I can’t believe that dad wants you to keep an eye on us.” Well, at least we don’t have to be the ones to break the news. “I can take care of the two of us perfectly fine.” Great, so I’m getting stuck with some girl that thinks she’s all that and another that has no sense of proper behavior.

“Please try to be understanding.” Saffron tries to bridge this divide. “Your dad is just trying to do the best for everyone. It hasn’t been easy, even with the demon lord defeated.”

“Then he should know that I can take care of things.” She responds. That girl is pretty headstrong, but at least I know it’s not all just talk. But even then, that arrogance is going to end up causing her more pain than she can imagine. “If I’m going to be the next ruler, then I have to start somewhere.”

“Look.” I step in. “Personally, I don’t want to do this either. But even if we got off on the wrong foot. Can we at least try? I don’t even know your name.” With what I say, she doesn’t respond at first. I thought she was just that mad at me, but then she finally says something.

“Pepper.” She replies simply with just that one word to my questions. Not really sure what a spice has to do with anything. Though with the look on my face, That’s enough to make it clear to them, that I have no clue what she just said. “I can’t believe we have to trust this idiot.” She shrugs and crosses her arms in response.

“That’s her name.” The younger one clarifies that. Wow, I really do look like an idiot here. But is it really my fault that the names they got here are kind of weird? “My name’s Salt.” Yep, they got some really strange names here.

Salt and Pepper, huh? That had to be on purpose by that king guy. Odd though, since he’s got a normal name with Arthur. Wait a second, King Arthur? What kind of world did I get summoned to?

“Come on big sister.” Salt pokes at the older girl. “It could be fun.” As much as I want to appreciate the kind gesture, I’m certain that it’s so that girl can pull more dumb tricks over me.

“Well, it’s not like we can just go against dad.” That response isn’t the best I could’ve heard. Still though, it’s better than nothing.

Once the oh-so amazing introductions are out of the way. It’s time for Saffron depart with the King and his men.

I really don’t want her to go off on this mission. Sure, she’s done incredible things before, but if I don’t even know what she’s up against, then anything can happen.

“Are you sure things will be all right?” I ask her, as they’re getting packed to leave. She’s already got her things put away, so it’s time to say our farewells.

“Of course.” She gently touches my cheek, wiping the one tear I have. “I’ll only be gone for a week, then we’ll be back to our normal lives before you know it.”

“I’ll miss you.” I can’t hold back any longer, and give her the biggest hug of her life. “Just stay safe, okay?”

“I will.” She says simply. But why… Why does it sound so uncertain, while she stands still within my arms?

34