Chapter 23: Ongoing Hell!
4.4k 32 139
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
What the shit just happened and was this Manic Blade's goal with this harsh training? Find out next time on Dragon Ba, I mean Monster Girl World Chapter 24! Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!

 

[Rise and Shine Sunshine!] - Manic Blade

[Ugh... How can you be so chipper this early in the gods damn morning...?] - Rose

[Careful, your mask is slipping.] - Manic Blade

 

After waking me up while it was still dark I stared at the old immortal with dead eyes, my verbal quips completely outside my control because of my poor temper. On top of my exhaustion from only getting 5 hours of sleep I wasn't even close to recovered from my "workout" yesterday, if you can call what we did yesterday anything other than torture anyway. Suffice it to say that I wasn't in any mood to deal with the overly upbeat, supposedly broken, old man.

 

[Weren't you like depressed or some shit yesterday? Why are you so gods damn happy?] - Rose

[Oh right I didn't tell you but I'm a bit of an "S" so your misery is just making my day that much better... Hahahahaha!] - Manic Blade

[You focking serious mate?!?] - Rose 1I had to! I'm not sorry!!! Okay I'm a little sorry... :(

[Yep! So today I'm gonna have you start with the same test as last time but this time I'll randomly attack you while you are maintaining the spell. I won't use any lethal strikes but don't think you can just tank them without consequence.] - Manic Blade

[W-Wha...?] - Rose

[We start after breakfast.] - Manic Blade

 

I attempted to argue with the self proclaimed immortal hero but without the strength to back it up it was like trying to move a mountain. A stubborn, perverted bastard of a mountain.


After accepting that I couldn't do anything to persuade the old man I had passed the rest of breakfast in silence and after a quick meal found myself in the same clearing as yesterday getting ready to start a similar test. Knowing what to expect and the reason for doing this in the first place made it a little easier but my exhaustion from yesterday was filling my mind with dread.

 

[O-Okay... I think I'm ready to start?] - Rose

[Any time...] - Manic Blade

[Phew... Umm... Candle.] - Rose

 

Nervously shaking I gave my affirmative for starting the test while the old immortal sardonically smirked at me, clearly not believing my words for a second. Trying to clear out my nervous anticipation for the trial ahead I let out a huge breath and quickly cast the spell.

Instantly I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen as I doubled over, barely maintaining my spell through the pain as it flickered dangerously. Gasping for air I tried finding the source of the pain but my question was immediately answered when I looked up and saw the old bastard holding a long stick in his hand with a grim look on his face. Gone was the mirth from several minutes before as he looked upon me with no mercy. In fact his gaze at this moment reminded me of the look he'd had in his eyes when he was still deciding whether to kill me or not.

 

[Hiii!] - Rose

 

Backing away quickly I almost allowed myself to drop the spell but common sense won out and I continued supplying it with mana. Seconds later a look of satisfaction crossed the old man's face as he dropped his killing pressure.

 

[Good! I wasn't sure if you'd be able to withstand a sudden spike in killing intent like that. You held up admirably. Only four hours to go.] - Manic Blade

[T-That was part of the test? For a second I was sure you were going to kill me!] - Rose

[That's the idea, now pay attention this time and try to dodge my strikes before they hit you!] - Manic Blade

 

Lunging forward during his sentence I barely managed to weave my upper body around his wide downward strike, all the while continuing to maintain the supposedly simple Candle spell. After this is over and if I make it back alive to the Academy I'll be sure to thank Legal Loli Sensei for her leniency and tame teaching method.


Several hours later, bruised and battered from many MANY mistimed dodges, I lay on my back gasping for air. The last 4 hours had been literal hell, I know I said the same thing yesterday but I had no idea the depths this crazy old bastard could sink to. However, in spite of my growing hatred towards my serial abuser in chief (aka. Manic Blade), I was proud of my perseverance in not only making it through the last 4 hours but I had even dodged a majority of his blows, all while maintaining my spell. Even more I had found my ability to cast magic continually becoming easier as the hours passed.

I wasn't even close to mastering mana control but even in my own novice eyes I could see that I had improved a great deal and as such I had a huge grin on my face even while barely being able to breath.

 

[Hahahaha! I did it! Hah!] - Rose

[You sure did! I may even have been slightly impressed towards the end. At this rate you'll be equal to a normal novice spellcaster in 3 years.] - Manic Blade

[N-Novice?] - Rose

 

My giddiness from moments before was forgotten in an instant at the words of the experience old man. I had thought that I'd been doing fairly well so far but his comment made my mood take a nose dive instantly.

 

[Yes a novice. As such we will be upping your miles for your second task to 15. We start as soon as you are finished eating. Oh and remember that you can only take dinner when you're done.] - Manic Blade

[M-Monster!] - Rose

[Good luck and don't take too long... Hahahahahaha!] - Manic Blade

 

Laughing as he left me with a half of a boar he'd caught in the rare times that he'd left me alone in the clearing I dejectedly tore into the side of it, dreading the next few hours of constant movement. His threat of withholding dinner until I was finished like the night before echoing in my head.


[Hah! Oh gods! Oh gods why?!? I can't... I can't do it! Every day like this? Hah! What did I do to deserve this? Hah!] - Rose

 

If I'd thought my exhaustion after my mana control practice was harsh the numb feeling in my entire body with dull painful throbbing emanating from literally everything was far worse. I mean I wasn't even fully recovered from my burn wounds so every movement during the "run" had sent spikes of pain up and down my tail. Even so I had somehow made it, although damn me if I could move more than a couple inches either way as I lay on the ground twitching.

 

[Oh! I see that you finally finished! Dinner has been done for a couple hours but I'm sure that cold wild goat stew is fine for you right?] - Manic Blade

 

His words, spoken in a mocking tone, finally snapped something deep inside of me and in a moment I was holding him by the throat against a nearby tree. My vision was red and black as the only thoughts in my brain was to finish this worm in front of me that had been treating me like trash for the last 2 days.

Even now the look on his face was one of smug satisfaction and I felt a urge to wipe that smirk off his face as I slowly squeezed his neck.

 

[Hahaha! Who's laughing now you...!] - Rose

 

In the middle of mocking him I suddenly felt my world spin as I was blown away and through several trees. Confused at what had happened I whirled around only to find the spot where he had been seconds before empty and my own body almost 20 feet from that spot. Before I could find my bearings my head was shoved into the dirt and I felt my world spin again as once more I was airborne.

Feeling a sharp impact to my back I came to a stop suddenly and fell forward into the dirt, coughing while I tried to catch my breath.

 

[You!!! Huh?] - Rose

 

Rising shakily I doubled over suddenly in the middle of trying to figure out what was happening and my coughing fit intensified as I felt the bloody haze around my mind fade away only for confusion and exhaustion to take it's place.

 

[What? W-What just happened?] - Rose

[Oh you're back with us then? Sleep now, when you wake up in the morning I will explain everything.] - Manic Blade

 

Fighting against my tiredness I attempted to raise myself off the ground but severe pain stopped me before I could make it and blackness crept in from the sides of my eyes. The last thing I saw was a tired look as the old man limped slightly to my side and looked down on me with a warm expression on his face. His eyes full of a love and longing for something long past. My vision faded as I felt the urge to comfort the old man gazing at me with such a caring look.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you!
139