S2- Chapter 15: Debt’s to be Repaid. (part 1)
602 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Debt's to be Repaid. (part 1)

After mere days a large mass of people have begun to form in the city,
Normally this would take weeks and months of preparation.

However, words of the king's passing claimed to be orchestrated by the queen's action possessed some truth as the Order took the armor of the Bristle Knights that carried the emblem of their king.

It was damaged but that only added even more proof as they pretended to be betrayed by her.
Using that as evidence they acted like knights as they continue to spout out lies regarding his queen.

This alone riled up the people.

They moved with swift impunity, ready to dethrone the Queen in her speech to quell the masses.
The meeting with the denizens of her people was to be made in the core of the city.

It was planned to be in City Halls where

This plan was made by the queen herself, in order to prove her loyalty and trust in her own people.

 

...

...

...

Anger welled up inside of them while some had the murderous intention but those who saw her figure paled at the sight of her appearance. 

On top of a royal carriage moved by horses.
She sat on a chair holding her staff and wearing the royal crown on her head.

Wearing a black dress as though she is mourning, her bloodshot eyes and fierce expression as she gazed at the masses, which caused those who carried weapon hesitate and flinch.

Around her were her most loyal knights.
The crowd of people that manifested outside the great hall swiftly came to a pause.

The knights who saw them ready their arms.

『What do you fools think you are doing!』

A voice of an old knight stood in front of them, fearlessly he gazed at them.

『Do you fools seriously think!
Our Queen would easily betray someone who made our hero the King!』

『Wake up you bumbling fools and let us pass!』

He roared to them as fire ignited from his sword as he drew it in his rage showing his full intent to commit a massacre if they refuse. This man was regarded as a general who fought alongside the king.

An old veteran who specialized in the manipulation of fire and commanded his soldiers.

His only regret was that he wasn't able to protect his own king on the day he needed him the most.
The reason why he wasn't sent with him was simply that they have gathered information regarding suspicious people within the palace.

They were aware of the assassins.
They simply didn't know who they were and when will they act.

Those who gazed at his stout figure

Hesitation, Fear of Death and Anger welled in their eyes.

『Val, Stop!』

『We are not here to butcher the innocents!』

The queen shouted as she stood from her chair.
She turned to the mob with serious eyes.

『Let us pass and all will be forgiven.』she cried out to them.

『I know all of you are angry, that news of my husband death have spread.』

『With his men wearing the armor of his men, claiming that I am the cause for his death!』

『But, I promise you all that if you let me pass I wou-』

As she spoke an interruption came as another raised his voice among the mob.

『Don't listen!』

『That person is a tyrant and her greed will consume us all!』

Her face twitched in rage as she heard that.

『From the beg-』as he tried to sway the masses the queen the shouted.

Her tears and rage were directed at the man who interrupted her.
Lightning sparked from her staff in response as a flash of lightning was drawn from the sky.

A thunderous roar was heard as it reached her staff.
Her daunting presence made everyone silent.

『You dare mock my love toward my husband!
The LIES OF THE ORDER HAD GONE LONG ENOUGH!』

『NOT ONLY MY HUSBAND BUT MY SON AS WELL!』

『HOW CUNNINGLY RUTHLESS TO DIRECT THE HATE OF THE MASSES TOWARDS ME.』

『YET YOU FOOLS MADE A FATAL MISTAKE!
I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ALL KNEEL!
AND HAVE YOU ALL REPAY ALL OF YOUR SINS!』

Her scowling face and grieving rage was a clear sight to them.

As the man tried to talk, she pointed her staff at his direction as the crowd swiftly disperse to avoid it. She did not release the lightning in her staff which acted as a medium for her magic but merely to threaten them enough to reveal the servant who hid behind amongst the crowd of people.

Wearing white cloth of the order, his pale expression was as clear as day.

The Queen was someone formidable, that most of the citizens knew of her power as a sorceress.
Her tears, cloth, and rage were enough to clear the mob of their own suspicion.

Showing that she was earnest in her mission to clear her name.

『Speak if you have more to say!
I will make sure...

To rid of your lying tongue!
The next time it opens.』

The subordinate of the order was now shaking with a pale expression.

『Seize him!』she shouted.

『Make sure he talks after this!』
As she said those words the man tried to flee while shouting.

『What are you fools doing!
What did you all come here for if you are all going to be swayed by her words alone!』

She carried no evidence.
But her emotion and rage were clearly seen by the masses around her of her grievances.
That her words were no lie and spoke mostly of her inner rage of both grief and rage.

The man was captured by her soldiers and gagged by a cloth as the soldiers themselves surely wishes to hear no more of his words.

The mob who once carried arms were now at a loss as they watched the man being arrested.

They lowered their weapons and kneeled to their Queen.

『Forgive us.』

Her black mourning clothes fluttered and face once full of rage slowly eases then calmed with a serious gaze. She then tapped her staff on the wood of her carriage and told them.

『I will repeat myself!』

『Let us pass and all will be forgiven!』

As she said those words, a bolt from the roof was fired and aimed for her life.
A shadow knight revealed himself as her protector blocked the bolt which surprised the Queen.

The knight then nodded to her as he leaped with great speed causing the carriage to shake from the force as the person went in to chase to pursue.

Those who saw it shuddered at the black armor.

『So, the rumor was true...』someone in the crowd muttered.

She sat in her chair anxious and exhausted.

『This will be a long day...』she said to herself as the carriage she rode on moved onwards to the halls as the crowd of people followed.

...

...

...

________________________________________________________________________________

// A different path. //

Rue's Pov:

『The plan has changed.』

These were the words of that friend of mine.

『Very well, I'll leave one of my knights at your side.』She nodded in response aware of the risks.

Then made a request.

『If you have someone who can conceal themselves its more favorable for me to have him, guard me instead.』

It was a strange request.

『But why?』

She then said.

『It's going to be a problem if a shadow knight terrified them too much.
They need to hear my voice, so keeping that person in the shadow would be more favorable if our opponents really did intend to aim for my life.』

I smiled at her response as she said those words.

『You've grown...』

『And you haven't changed.

No...
You've grown colder actually...

Your tea used to be so delicious.
Is life in the demon-kingdom bothering you so?』

Was it bothering me?
Yes, it has...
I'm constantly worrying over my daughter.
And while working like this, I don't know anything about what is happening to her lately.

Her elder sister is likely going to become the next crown princess, yet news arrived that my youngest suddenly became one. This news alone gave me a headache, I wanted to return back to the castle after I heard it...

But the Gate was malfunctioning for some strange reason unable to understand why?

I then replied to her.
『A lot of things are happening back in my home,
but I can't seem to return and deal with my concerns, right now.』

She gave a guilty expression then said.

『I'm sorry for dragging you into this.』

But I shook my head in response, this was work for me.
Because the priority right now is to make sure the Order doesn't claim this land and do as they please. This would be troublesome for Estel and myself if the family of our dear friend was to be usurped by this pest festering in this land.

[Truthfully I wanted my husband to partake and obliterate their petty Order and be done with it.
But that would only provoke the masses and breach the peace treaty we currently have...

It would undoubtedly double, No... perhaps quadruple our paperwork.]

As she stood atop the roofs gazing at a distance.

[The order sure made a mob already, in a mere day too.
Quite a sight, when they sent this many just to assassinate the royal family.

Though I did command the soldiers, to let one pass...
Just to show we are also present.

It should quell the masses after her speech.
And once we have those snakes on our hands,
we should have enough evidence to put the order to shame and have them in our fingertips.]

In front of her...

A hundred or so hooded figures are all tied up together.
The shadow knights are secretly working behind the scenes as Queen Lyra makes her way to the core of her fair city.

Once she reached the entrance of the hall, she left Seid to handle the rest as he commanded the second force to keep her safe.

She soon went to meet with a certain person who had already the trap set up.

________________________________________________________________________________

// Estel's Farewell... //

『Estel, thank you very much!』

『I wouldn't have been able to get out of that place without your help.』

Saya gleefully said as she said those words.

Estel and her grandfather guided to her home in the city.
The bustling streets and people moving towards a single direction caused her grandfather to ask.

『Where is everyone going?』

Saya's mother who was by the door behind her answered for him.

『They are going to the great hall.
There are a lot of conspiracies going around regarding her majesty being assassinated by his own queen.

A lot of people started to believe them because they were preached by the order of light along with soldiers claiming to be the knights of our king to be survivors who survived her cruel betrayal.

Though I myself who had lived here for years found that extremely strange and confusing.』

Estel's flinched at what she heard.

『You don't mean the Queen?
What about the princess.』

She then shook her head.

『We know nothing of what happened to them.
It is said they too perished with his majesty.』

Estel was troubled and shocked at what she had just heard.

『Leanne is...』

Her grandfather then shook her.

『Estel, don't believe things so easily.
Remember that these are merely rumor's and preaching's of the order that tried to kidnap you.』

She was worried about her friend.

『Grandpa, can we...』

He nods.

『We currently have plenty of time, the gate is surely unusable for a month.
If your father did what he told us, then it should be safe here during that time.』

As he said those words a cheer came from her face.
It was now clear where they intended to go.

Saya and her mother gave her thanks with a bow as Estel herself waved her hand happily at them.

The cheerful expression she had of finally being free from any connection to royalty.
To be able to walk the streets of a city without being seen as royalty.

It made her heart thump with joy and excitement.
A luxury she never acquired even back in her own home.

But she still felt worried for Leanne.
She wanted to know what happened to her, before leaving this city.

As the two headed to the City Halls, where people gathered.

『Hey, grandfather.』

『Yes?』

『Why do you think father suddenly decided to help us?』

Her grandfather flinched with a surprised expression on his face.

『That's the question I wanted to ask you!
How the heck did you persuade that uptight child of mine to do such a thing!』

The two were puzzled at the sudden change of his heart.
Estel could only believe the first demon-king did it to him.
Yet couldn't grasp what his words said to him to make such a face like that...

As they walked towards the place, a large explosion erupted from where they were heading.

(*A ray of light came out from the roof the City hall as it tore a hole outside of it.*)

A thunderous roar is heard from the sky as they soon were met with civilians running from the place.

『Eh?』

Estel's eyes grew wider in confusion.
Her grandfather shielded her from the crowd and readied himself for anything.

It was then a dragon flew from the sky, its brilliant white color shone yet those who possessed dragon blood could tell the immense presence it released was far beyond what a normal dragon could release.

Its presence was equal to Estel's time of rage.

To make matters worse, it's gaze was directed at Estel's grandfather.

『Estel, run...
I'll deal with that thing.』her grandfather was swift in his words.

But she simply tugged his clothes and asked.

『What is that thing!』

With a sweat in his brow he could only make a guess on what it was...

________________________________________________________________________________

// A Dangerous Opponent. //

『We have a problem!』one of the Archbishop subordinate cried out.

Panting and tired he took a deep breath to recollect himself.

『The Mercenary Iron bulls are all dead!』

Cardigan in his shock shouted.『What!』

『Then what about the princess?』

『She was nowhere to be found...
We believe she managed to somehow escape.』

『The attackers?』

『They used poison and wiped them clean, the Iron bull's head is also missing.』

He bit his thumb then...

『Tch!』

The Archbishop then replied to him.

『Looks like the young princess bested you once again...
Which means, this plan is already falling apart.

Now I know why the Queen has such courage to show herself so defiantly.』

He then turned to his subordinate.

『Perform Plan B.
We will make our escape here.』

『But, your emin-』

Cardigan tried to say more but he was cut off.

『I will forgive your failure,
We cannot allow ourselves to be captured here.

Or else the appearance of the order will look bad if they managed their get a hold of us.

Even if one country were to despise us, that doesn't mean all of them will believe their words.』

It was then cardigan felt a chill on his back.

[How terrifying!] he thought.

To show wisdom even in the last moment when the great conflict was about to begin.
Then retreat when things doesn't favor him any longer.
A true tactician an extremely dangerous presence.

『If we are captured then they would have solid evidence for any of their claim.
We should not drag our brothers with us in our failure.

Do not worry, I will take the blame from the others.』

As he then sighed at his words then said with a fanatic yet joyful smile.

『As you command your eminence.』

They went back into their carriage and made way to flee their territory.
However, plan B set is already set in motion.

A large cage with a beating crystal is now presented in his replacement.
As it made its way into the City Hall where the Queen are said to make their words clear to the people.

________________________________________________________________________________

17