Chapter R2: Aftermath
244 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter R2: Aftermath

(Ride's POV)

 

"Ouch!" I cried out in pain as I put a soft gel-ish liquid on the palm of my hand.

The same ointment that the woman with the azure eyes gave to me. It is made from the leftovers of slime gel mixed with restorative herbs which are then blessed with healing magic before being sealed in a bottle. 

It's the bread and butter for all adventurers. It's a given to have at least one of these to treat small wounds and bruises. The ointment effects are not as fast or great as curative magic or actual elixirs, but it's good enough to heal light injuries within a day or so. 

Perfect for situations like these where we were all thrashed and exhausted and filled to the brim with light injuries. I slathered more of the gel onto my palm before rubbing it all over my hands and my torso. I winced in pain as the gel seeps into the small cuts that I received throughout the day.

"Mind if I use some of that too?" Scorch said and sat down next to me.

"Yeah, sure." I handed over the Ointment.

He started to apply the ointment to his body. The slightly large man had tons of scars on his body, and it looks like he's going to have more starting from today. 

His fighting style demands that he occasionally get injured to land his blows, that's why he wears thick armour to shrug off the small blows of creatures. Just too bad the monsters that we fought today are anything but small.

"I can't believe we lived through that," Tyle said as he bit onto a piece of bread. He wasn't worse for wear like Scorch and me, but you could clearly see him exhausted, side effects of mana exhaustion.

"Yeah," I said back.

"We got lucky," Kranis said. He too took a bite from a piece of bread. Out of all of us, he looked to be in the best shape.

Right now, all of us were resting in a large tent prepared by the Adventurer's Guild in an encampment just about half a days’ travel from A'bell. If you looked outside the tent, you could still see the red hues from the fire still burning in the city. Other adventurers were also gathered all over in the tent, recuperating and discussing today's event. 

Upon closer inspection, you could see that some Adventurers were mourning their dead friends. I could see A'bells' famous parties from the guild missing a few members here and there. When compared to them, we who all made it out alive could be said to have been quite lucky.

After the events at the gate, we immediately travelled north with all the citizens and the other adventurers, killing any monsters that dare to chase after us. It wasn't easy, but we managed to do it. 

It was about the evening when the monsters stopped following us from the city, and we managed to escort the people to the encampment successfully. A large wooden barricade and a whole lot of other adventurers and soldiers came to greet us. 

"But still, who was the person who saved us?" Asked Tyle as he recalled today's event.

I thought back to the moment at the gates and the figure of the woman with azure eyes. If it weren't for her, none of us would be alive right now.

"I don't know, but thank god she was there to take down that king troll, I can't imagine having to fight that thing," Kranis said as he took another bite from his bread.

Feeling a bit famished, I too took a piece of bread and started eating it.

"Yeah, we probably would have died there," said Scorch, still applying ointment to his wounds.

"Probably? No dude, we were going to die there." Kranis said in frustration.

"She used some strange spell too. I've never seen such a spell before. Ice pillars that don't break into pieces when spiking monsters. Incredible." Tyle said out in amazement

"Yeah that was a Grade five spell easy," Kranis said

Grade five... the mark of a strong magic user... By comparison, Tyle is only able to use magic up to grade four while I could only use sword skills up to grade three, sword thrust being one such skill.

"You think she got out of the city?" I asked my friends.

"I will find it harder to believe that she didn't." Scorch answered.

"Yeah... I wonder if she is around the camp right now? I want to show my appreciation at least." I asked.

"I've snooped around most of the encampment, but I didn't see her," Kranis our rogue extraordinaire replied.

"Don't you at least know who she is? I thought you rogues have all the details," Tyle asked to Kranis.

"If I knew, I would have told you guys already. I've asked the other rogues as well. None of them has seen this person... Ever."

Damn...

"Great news! Great news!"

The loud voice of a man could be heard as he entered the tent. He looked to be wearing the Guild Uniform, probably an employee.

"The two Dragons that was sighted at the beginning of the invasion is confirmed to be dead! The Army has attributed one of the kills to the Guild!" He shouted out loud to everyone in the large tent.

Soon after, a loud cheer could be heard from everyone, including me. This was great news! The terror known as dragons would no longer be terrorising A'bell and nearby cities anymore. 

But more importantly, it's a dragon! The beast that is known to need multiple raids of A rank to defeat was dead without anyone claiming the kill for it. The same dragon which parts can be sold for a fortune! It could only mean-

"According to the guild guidelines, as no one took credit for the dragon, the earnings from the dragons will be split equally among all Adventurers who participate in today's event!" 

A loud thunderous cheer, even louder than the one before could be heard in the tent. I guess even after all that has happened. Adventurers will be adventurers.

 

* * * * *

 

It was later that night after dinner where adventurers were given invites to gather around a large tent, the one that got set up by the country's army. We didn't know what it was about, but we all went there anyway, curious to know. 

As we arrived, I spotted that the place was filled with high-rank adventurers, some party that I knew and some that I don't. There was one such party that was filled with only A ranks, and you could even spot a lone S rank among them.

It was the full armoured paladin that's famous for traversing the dungeons near the Omega Sea. On his back was an unbelievably large shield. The area was full of people like these, just lying in wait talking to each other.

I also noticed a whole bunch of guild employees walking around. All of them seemed busy walking in and out of the tent carrying serious expressions. My eyes fall upon one such large out of place uniform-wearing employee.

"Mister Vrazen!" I shouted in excitement.

Vrazen who heard my voice turned around to our group.

"Kids! You all are still alive!" He shouted.

I ran over to him and gave him a good look. "Man, I'm glad you are alright, Mister Vrazen."

"Gahaha, who do you think I am kid? No monster invasion is going to kill me gahaha!" He said as he slapped my back. Oof.

"I'm glad to see alive as well," Kranis said with a tone of relief.

"Yeah me too," Tyle followed up.

"That's supposed to be my line kids, for a while there I thought you guys were goners."

"Yeah, that's what we thought as well," Kranis said with a shrug.

"Seeing you guys alright surely took a load off my chest... Though I wish can say the same for everyone else. The guild has taken a big hit today, lots of dead and missing adventurers and many more injured," Vrazen said with a depressed tone.

All of us stayed quiet. Downhearted at the news.

"On the other hand, what's the occasion?" Tyle broke the sour mood with a question. He then turned around and took a good look at the venue, many more adventurers arriving.

"Oh, this? The Guild Master has something to say. It seems pretty important if he is going through all these steps to gather everyone." Vrazen replied before focusing a few distances away. "Oh, there he is right now."

I directed my gaze towards a small makeshift stage and saw the figure of an old man with a cane walking lethargically onto the stage. His hair was all but white. He wore a large oversized robe with the Adventurers Guild symbol on its back. 

This was the guild master for the city of A'bell and nearby areas. I didn’t actually know his real name. Everyone including me just calls him by the title 'Guild Master'. There wasn't a single adventurer worth his salt in this city that didn't know him. Every single adventurer wanting to promote from D to C in this city would have to meet this old man at least once. He had the final say whether one promotes or not to C rank after all.

...

I recalled my first time meeting the guild master. On the outside, he just looks like any fragile jolly old man, but it's all just an act. After all, he is a strong magic user. How else could an old man survive in that monster infestation?

*tap *tap

The guild master taps his cane onto the stage. Small magic circles appeared underneath it.

"Ahem, can you all hear me? Ho ho," His voice reverberates across the field in the all too well known jolly tone. He must have cast a spell in order to boost his voice for everyone to hear.

Everyone in the area immediately stopped talking and paid to him their full attention. That's just the amount of respect this guy has by the adventurers of A'bell. A few seconds later after, seeing that everyone had their attention on him and that everything was prepared:-

"I would like to start by offering my condolences to all those who have fallen and those that have lost friends and loved ones," He said in a firm and solemn tone, quite the contrary to the jolly old man that I knew.

"It pains me to know that such a terrible event has happened and the best that the guild can do is provide all of you meagre compensations. I know of the valiant fight all of you have put up to save the people of this city and I can't thank you enough. Thousands of lives were saved today thanks to your effort!" The guild master gave a bow.

 A slight pause was given before the guild master stood up again. "Now onto more important topics. I know that some of you today have suffered a great loss. Friends... the people whom you call family. I understand that some of you are in rage and anger, you wish to seek revenge for the destruction they have done to your beloved city. I also understand that some of you would like to retrieve the dead bodies of your comrades. I also understand the feeling of wanting to go back in there to find missing loved ones."

The guild master pointed his cane towards the burning city of A'bell. "Even worse is the fact that we still don't know the cause of the incident nor do we any more information on the origins of the monsters. There is hardly anything that the guild can do."

The Guild master gave another pause. Vexed looks of adventurers could be seen“That is why I gathered you all here!" He suddenly shouted, his voice full of charisma and conviction.

"I have spoken with General Clauss of the army! There are still survivors still taking refuge in the inner castle walls of A'bell. He has asked for the cooperation of Adventurer's Guild to assist with them in a joint operation!"

There are still more survivors in the city? How did they survive? How long more can they hold out? Also, joint operation? The sound of the crowd murmuring could be heard. 

"THIS IS A FULL RAID!" The guild master shouted unbefitting of a man of his stature.

The entire place went silent again. Everyone had their full attention to the old man. A full raid... It's not every day you hear a request like that.

"We are to assault the monster-infested city of A'bell! The goal is to find and escort any survivors inside— out of the city. To recollect belongings of deceased, any important national treasure or information and to clear out as many monsters as possible. It will take place tomorrow. Participating requirements is that you are either a high-rank member or a member that belongs in a high ranking party. Those that wish that participate are to gather outside the encampment at dawn tomorrow!"

The crowd becomes rowdier. Internal discussions could be heard everywhere. 

"Also one last thing ho ho," The guild master said in his normal jolly tone.

"I've gotten permission from the general, the rewards for this quest is the earnings from the other dragon. Let us save A'bell with our own hands people," He said joyfully as he left the stage.

"Yeaahhhhhh!!!" "Woohoooo!!"

Loud thunderous cheers could be heard as soon as he mentioned the rewards for this raid. All that talk about avenging loved ones and saving the city's survivors and the thing they cheered about are the rewards.

Adventurers be adventurers after all.

 

* * * * *

 

A full raid... A large scale event where large amounts of adventurers team up to tackle a big event. Typically it wouldn't have concerned us at all as only high ranks could join full raids, but Mister Vrazen spoke to us after that gathering. 

"Why are you all looking so moody? Ride here is a B rank right? That means your team is technically a high-rank team! With what contributions your team has done for the guild I'm sure the guild will accept you all in the raid."

I did get promoted to B rank earlier today huh? This whole day had been a complete mess that I forgot about it. I'm one of those high ranking adventurers now. I observed my friends in front of me. We called a team meeting to decide our next move.

"I'm going," Kranis said in our meeting. “If not for the people, then at least for killing those bastards in the city," He said with conviction in his voice.

Kranis had always been the type to prioritise our team's safety over others, so it was a bit uncharacteristic of him to say that. Then again, this was his home. Our home.

"I'm going as well! I wanna save the people of A'bell!" I said back with conviction in my voice as well.

"Is there any need to discuss? I'm going as well," Scorch said.

The only other guy who was hesitant was Tyle.

"I get you all want to go. I want to go as well. But what can we hope to do in our condition?" He said as he gave me and Scorch an analysing look. His glasses shined white beneath the light.

"We have a rogue with no arrows because he only uses self-made arrows, an axe user who has his entire amour in scraps and a swordsman with no sword," Tyle said as he put his fingers on his temple.

"No matter how I look at it, this is going to work out for us."

"I can get a new sword. It's not that hard!" I objected.

"With what? We are penny less. We left all our money in that restaurant! Besides we are in a refugee camp, there isn't anybody who is going to sell us equipments here!!" He argued back.

Urghh.

We were already poor. Our prospect hadn't been that great as of late. That was why the goblin money was godsent. But as Tyle said, we left it all in the restaurant when the invasion happened. The compensation rewards from the guild haven't been finalised yet. It would be a while before we get those.

"If we go there, we will be risking our lives and the other adventurers around us. I can't agree to this, guys." 

He made a convincing argument, so all I could do was just stare back at him. Seeing me, Kranis and Scorch followed and gave him 'the look'.

"Urkk" Tyle flinched.

It's working! I doubled down on 'the look'. The others followed up.

...

Dammit, he's stronger than usual, but we kept up our assault.

...

"Arghhh! Don't say I didn't warn you all!" he relented.

I smiled as I did a mental YES! 

We quickly disbanded for the night and went our separate ways to prepare for the upcoming raid. 

 

* * * * *

 

"Haaaahhh."

I let out a sigh as I sat down on a cheap bench outside of the Guild tent. I stared at the moonless night, stars twinkled in the distance. Above me was a magic lamp that lights up the area around me. My shadows flickered as cold wind breezes by.

I couldn't sleep. Even though we managed to convince Tyle to go with the raid, I couldn't help but feel that he was correct. I didn't have a sword. Well, I do... but it wasn't mine, I took it from some dead bodies during the invasion. It's not a sword that I am used to, not to mention the injury on my palms. 

It's hard to say that I'm in tip-top condition. Kranis was going to have to fight with his daggers and Scorch was going with that scrap of an amour. Tyle was the only person in our team that was in any reasonable shape or form. 

Maybe I should back off after all? I am the B rank here. I have the final say in this.

There wasn't any meaning to joining this if we were going to die like idiots. The raid was meant for high-rank adventurers, unlike us who were barely qualified for participation. Joining up might not be such a great idea... But! We could be the difference between life and death of the survivors in the city of A'bell! There is a reason why the raid is done tomorrow and not when we are more prepared. Every little time we have is precious.

"Um... Hello." 

Hmm? My thoughts were disturbed by a soft-spoken and gentle voice. I turned around to see a figure in the dark. The figure's height was about half a head shorter than me.

"Um... are you.. the person known as Ride? Ride A'bell?" The figure asked as it moved forward slowly.

"Uh... yeah, that's-"

Woah...

Before I could finish my sentence, the figure walked into the light. A beautiful young female could be seen. Her long yellow golden hair fluttered with the cold winds. She had yellow golden eyes that stared at me, full of determination. She was wearing a tunic with a long skirt, with what looks to be a combination of metal and leather armour protecting her vitals, a sword could be seen at her waist. Her chest bulged out a little as she bent forward to grab my hands. Contrary to her beautiful figure, her hands were slightly harsh as she brushes it over mine firmly.

"Ah, finally! This is great! Um, Sir Ride! I have a request to ask of you! Will you hear my plea?" she brought her face close, her eyes stared intently into mine. I could even smell her minty breath.

"Sir Ride?" She asked me in a serious tone.

“Ye-yes?" I answered back in a daze.

"Please let me join your party in tomorrow's assault!"

Huh?

"I may not look like it, but I'm a pretty capable C rank Adventurer! I can take care of myself. Please let me join you! The others refused to let me join them, and some even outright refuse to listen to me! Please, Sir Ride! Dawn is almost here and this mig-"

"Wa-wait!" I said back in surprise.

For such a gentle voice, she sure speaks fast! What is this girl on about?

"Ah! How could I be so rude!" She said as she let go of her hands. She then stood up straight and placed her left hand on her chest near her heart.

"My name is Lanarya Lana! Age seventeen! C rank adventurer of the guild! I'm a swordswoman, and I can use sword skills up to grade three! I may not be as strong as other swordsmen, but I can move fast, and my strikes are just as deadly! Your party will definitely benefit from ha-"

"Wait, wait, wait! Stop for a moment!" I said back flustered.

"Ah, yes!" The young woman known as Lanarya Lana fell silent.

"..."

'..."

...

"Wha... What is this about joining parties? I'm not sure if I understand-"

"I wish to join tomorrow's Raid!" Lanarya said as she interrupts me.

"Join the raid?"

"I asked the guild, but they won't let me participate! I'm not that high-rank enough. But I heard that you are a B rank, so I thought your team must be high rank enough, if I join your team then the guild won't be able to refute me!"

"Wait a moment, do you even know what are you saying?" I retorted.

"I am fully aware of the circumstances, Sir Ride!"

I don't think you do...

"Hold on, let's dial back a few notches. Lanarya was it? Why do you even want to join the raid? It's a dangerous place, and to get a person I barely know to follow, it will just be a hindrance to the team," I argued to her.

"Please, Sir Ride! No one else will accept me. You are my last option!"

"For a good reason, obviously! Teamwork and trust aren't built in a day! This is too sudden! I won't allow it. If you joined, you would just be risking your life and the others around you. " I said back to her harshly.

"Eeek!" She shrank back.

Gosh, I sound exactly like Tyle...

I looked back at Lanarya. It was as if all that energy she had just now never existed. What was left is a dejected young woman, her shoulders slumped down as she slowly sat on the bench next to me. I could smell the scent of her fragrant hair as she sat down...

...

...

What is with this awkward atmosphere? I feel like some sort of jerk now.

"Um uh... Why do you want to participate in the raid tomorrow so badly? If it's about the reward, then I don't really recomm-"

"I love A'bell," Lanarya said in a determined tone.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard that. Did I just got confessed by?

"When I saw the city in flames... my heart aches," She said as she clutched her chest.

Oh... She was talking about the city... of course.

"I was born and raised here, all the kind people who have treated well live in this great city." 

...

"When I reach the camp... all I could see was their sad faces. Some of them are still missing..."

Lanarya faced up towards me and gave me a look full of sorrow.

"I wish to save them... I want to reclaim the city of A'bell!" She said in a resolute tone.

...

A'bell.

I thought back to the city I called home for these past few years. I... understand her feelings. I thought back to that moment at the north gate, the moment where I almost died, and the appearance of the woman with the azure eyes. Someone like her... She had no reason to risk her life to save those people at the gate, and yet she did it anyway. The same as all those Adventurers and brave people that fell yesterday... They could all had escaped, but they stood there and died to protect the people of this city...

I looked towards the starry skies once again. The shimmering sparkles entered my eyes.  I took a little while longer to think about things before finally standing up from the bench.  My mind finding a resolution.

"Alright," I said to Lanarya.

"Re-REALY?!" She stood up quickly, all that energy coming back to her.

"Yeah, but you better be as good as you said you are," I extended my hands towards her.

Lanarya took a look at my hand before giving a bright smile, like the golden sun.

"I won't disappoint!" She said as we shook hands. Her rough but firm hands meet my bruised and callous hands.

 

* * * * *

 

"Come to think about it, don't you have a team? And how did you know I am a B rank anyways? I only recently got promoted," I asked Lanarya.

"Ahhh, I never really had a permanent party. I guess you could say I'm a loner," She answered back.

A loner, an adventurer who prefers to go lone wolf. Or forced to.

"Also, I overheard your conversation with Mister Vrazen! Congratulations on being a B rank by the way! I can understand your feelings, Sir Ride! When one finally overcome your obstacle and achieve something great, I'd want to scream out loud too!"

...

She heard it... my shameful scream at the guild house. Ahh, I want to die... I covered my boiling red face with my hands.

"Sir Ride?" Lanarya asked as she tilted her head in confusion.

 

 

3