CH 76: ENTICEMENTS AND PROMISES
5.2k 14 184
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking through his window, Shunsui could feel that the mood in the Soul Society had been a little energetic recently.

The festival of Obon was one of the few entertaining activities in Soul Society. It wasn't just a festival for the sake of it.

It was a way to lay the souls down to rest and facilitate the passage of the souls of civilians in the Rukongai toward reincarnation, while accepting new members at the same time.

Everyday, millions of people die on earth, and every day, millions of children are born.

For Shinigami, the protection of the cycle was the most important. 

This festival wasn't just for the civilians that were 'alive' but also for those that 'died' in the Soul Society.

When a human dies, they enter the cycle of reincarnation. On the way, some may become hollows, or some may become Shinigamis.

But what happened when a soul was destroyed in Soul Society?

It was rather simple, like how a human body became dust and fused with the earth, a soul body would decompose into pure reishi and become a nutrient for Soul society itself. 

Though, the more powerful a soul was, the more complicated this would be.

"What are you thinking, Captain?"

"Hum, I am just wondering about how beautiful my little Nanao will be in her kimono tomorrow. Heh, I am certain that a silver haired man with a blindfold that should not be named will be very pleased."

Joking in order to replace his thoughts, Shunsui focused on his vice captain, Nanao Ise.

When he looked at her, he would always think of the little brat walking around with a large book in her hand.

Back then, his ex-vice captain, Lisa Yadomaru, had been the one to take care of Nanao in the division. 

Though, 60 years ago, Lisa had been burdened with a crime that was in no way her fault.

Most Shinigami did not know the reasons why so many 1st and 2nd seats had been deemed as criminals back then, but how could he not know?

Back then, Kisuke Urahara who was the captain of the 12th division and Tessai Tsukabishi, the captain of the Kido corps, had been arrested for the crime of experimenting on Shinigami.

Lisa and the others who had been half transformed in hollows were sentenced to be executed as though they were hollows.

The one who saved them was none other than Yoruichi Shihoin.

In the end, their groups fled to the human world.

The central 46 had been very enraged back then, ordering the Gotei 13 to chase after them, but most Shinigami only accepted this order in form. Aside from the members of the 1st divisions, the other divisions simply sent unseated shinigami who did not even try all that hard.

'This event had been too fishy.'

Shunsui lamented secretly. Sometimes, he cursed his indecisiveness. 

After the death of his brother, he swore to protect his wife and daughter, but all he could do was watch as she was executed for losing the treasure of the Ise clan. Even though she had acted in hope of breaking the curse.

Later he took in Nanao in his division, he was too much of a coward to admit that she was his niece and that he had been unable to help her mother.

Finally, he could do nothing as his vice-captain was sentenced to execution and had to flee to the human world.

'The true culprit.'

His expression grew colder. He did not believe that Kisuke or Tessei were the culprits. In fact, they were the saviors. 

It meant that the traitor was still alive and well. Strutting openly in the Gotei 13.

He had some doubts about Aizen Sosuke. After all, he had been the one who profited the most from those events.

Sadly, that man's reputation was spotless. In fact, Aizen could be said to be the most popular and loved captain in all the Gotei 13.

But this did not matter. He knew that sooner or later, another similar event would happen.

Perhaps once again, someone would have to be executed.

But, as long as there was anything fishy, even the slightest bit, he swore that he would not let it happen---Even if he had to fight the old man Yamamoto for this.

Thankfully, seeing Nanao flush at his previous question managed to alleviate his brooding mood.

He leaned on his chair, 

"So, are you finally going to snatch him up?"

His lips curled as he asked with a teasing undertone. Teasing her and joking around with her was one of the few things that made his life less boring.

Finally calming down, Nanao adjusted her glasses and coughed, "There is no one I need to snatch up."

He simply smiled at this obvious lie.

He knew that Nanao's feelings for Gojo were far from what could be called love. More precisely, it was a sliver of love mixed with feelings of self doubt, escapism and fear.

It did not help that Gojo did not really seem like the kind of man to settle down and marry.

"Well, you should be careful. From what Jushiro told me, it seems like his relationship with vice-captain Matsumoto is really ambiguous."

Shunsui sighed a little.

Relationships in the Seireitei were a little complicated.

At the end of the day, Shinigami society was no different than the human one. They fell in love, married, and had children.

The greatest problem was their nearly endless lifespans.

Powerful shinigami or nobles could live for centuries at the very minimum. In theory, shinigami at the level of captains could live for ten thousands of years as long as they weren't killed.

In fact, Shunsui knew that some members of the Division 0, like their captain Ichibe Hyosube, had been living for a few millions years.

Because of this lifespan, most Shinigami never entered into a relationship. 

In fact currently, out of all captains and vice-captains, the only one in official relationship was Kaien Shiba. Byakuya could also be counted, but he was widowed.

In short, Shinigami had a hard time entering into a committed relationship. But once they did, they would never separate no matter what. and if one of the partners happened to die, then the one living would never replace him or her.

For Satoru Gojo, as long as he just played around it wouldn't be a problem. But if he entered a serious relationship, Nanao's chances would become rather slim or she would have to share him.

It wasn't like polygamous relationship were rare for nobles. 

---

[1st division]

While most divisions were in a festive mood, somewhere deep in the 1st division, a showdown was happening.

On a ring surrounded by translucent barriers, Lightning and ice warred against each other, destroying everything around them.

The fight was between a middle aged man with silver-grey hair and a young kid with silver-white hair.

Even though they moved so fast few people could see what was happening, it was easy to observe that the ice was slowly being suppressed.

Finally, "That's enough."

The two of them stopped after hearing the middle aged man speak.

*Huff* *Huff* *Huff*

Gasping for breath, his face covered in sweat, Toshiro spoke with difficulty, "I-I lost..again."

His vision was already a little hazy due to exhaustion.

"Ohoho! Young Toshiro, you shouldn't belittle yourself. I am someone strong enough to be a captain, you know? For you to face me and not lose instantly shows how much you have grown. Back then you could not even take a hit."

Toshiro nodded, while sweeping his frustration away.

Chojiro Sasakibe, the vice-captain of the 1st division had already awakened and mastered his bankai long ago.

In fact, he should have been the one to become the captain of the 3rd division, but he had refused since he wished to continue serving Captain Yamamoto.

Toshiro understood that he still had a long way to go before matching someone like him.

"Why are you so frustrated? Is it because of the recent news?"

Toshiro lowered his head and spoke in a low voice, 

"I promised Gojo-niisan that I would not see him before I reach a level he could be proud of. But after learning he fought an all out battle with Captain Isshin, I began to feel a little distraught."

Chojiro smiled. If any other shinigami heard Toshiro complain, they would curse him. The boy was already insanely talented, and at this rate, he should be able to reach and master Bankai in less than ten years.

Since the moment Toshiro entered this division, he had trained many times with the young boy and knew how hardworking he was.

Even so, he did not utter those words. Only mediocre men were happy in stagnation. The great men should always fight to reach higher heights and accomplish their dreams.

He also knew that Toshiro's end goal was not the 1st division.

"You said you wished to enter the 3rd division right?"

Taking a deep breath, Toshiro straightened his back as he answered, "Indeed. I didn't just have a promise with Niisan. I also had another promise, or rather, a bet with a friend of mine."

He smiled refreshingly as he finished, "We made a bet, between the two of us, about who would become the vice-captain working under him."

Heh. Man I really fucked around with the plot. Feel very good. No need to write a fic if it's just to follow all events of Canon. Also those who didn't read CFYOW the thing about Ichibe is true. The guy is millions of years old. Still wondering how I am going to introduce Division 0. Though it won't be any time soon anyway. By the way, I am currently creating a WordPress blog. Though I suck big time at shit like this so it may take a while for everything to be ready. That and posting SHK and Gojo from CH 1 to the latest one there. Anyway once everything is ready I will warn you guys Because after this I might slow down my release on WN and Scribble and focus on my blog. Will have to decide. So I will keep you up to date 

184