Chapter 61
2.6k 8 125
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the morning came, I announced, "Smoothie, out of the goodness of my heart, I will help the citizens of Vera with their needs! Heheh, I'm so generous."

There were some new products I wanted to introduce to the world.

The first one was sweet water, or nectar. Unlike the one produced in my flowers, this one I planned to introduce would come in strawberry flavor. Basically, it was a kind of strawberry drink.

The next up were things synthesized via [creation]. These were special super strong plant-based polymer capable of stopping bullets. Compared to the armors the beastfolks were using, mine should be much lighter and more durable. This wasn't like the chitin armor I had before. This polymer was created around a hundred years ago in my previous world that was commonly used in households. Still, they weren't easy to create even with my new ability.

The third one up was the strawberries! They were my specialties after all. They came in different intensities of sweetness. Or rather, I should have just went for selling various forms of sugar.

And finally, the strawberry fey figurine featuring me! Who wouldn't want to see a figure of me before and after their beauty sleep? Perhaps people would start worshipping me soon!

All that was left was to apply for a permit to set up a shop. My ingenuity never ceased to amaze me to this day.

"Kanoko, I want a permit to setup a shop."

In her temporary office, she looked busy as usual, stacked with paperwork.

What a waste of youth! Life should be enjoyed, not doing paperwork all day.

"You just don't want to give me a break, do you?"

"Eh, you're in charge of city's operation, too? I thought you're just head of the embassy plus a bit of extra duties."

"Yes, somewhat. So, what kind of business is it?"

"I want to sell foods and drinks created by my ability." She gave me a suspicious look so I added, "of course, there's no poison involved. I can even create medicines if you can provide samples. That's just how amazing I am!"

She sighed, "Fine, create some samples for me to examine first."

"Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

"Okay."

I whipped out some strawberries, a bottle of sweet juice, and a figurine. The bullet-proof vest was excluded for now. I could always make them after I earned the trust of her palate. I heard that winning a person's stomach was the key to winning a person's heart. It must be true to some degree, right? Even though I was proven trustworthy in military stuff... Well, this was going to be the nail in the coffin.

"Here you go!"

"That was quick. You even made this bottle and the plate?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

She pressed her fingers firmly on the transparent bottle. Even with her strength, the bottle maintained its shape. Theoretically, it should be more durable than steel. The only downside was that it was flammable and biodegradable.

"Why don't you start making containers like these for us instead?"

That's what you're impressed with?

"What about the sweet water and strawberries?" I asked.

"Sweets won't sell well."

Shockers.

She must have seen it on my face thus she continued, "It's very simple. Many people here can't taste sweetness or have dull sense of it. For most people here, sweet foods are rare and more of a peculiarity rather than something to be enjoyed. Sometimes it's just used as a preservative."

Is she a dream wrecker?

She popped a strawberry in her mouth. "I can taste it just fine because I'm a fey being just like you. You know, if we still traded with humans, this would be very popular with them."

"Have we traded with the humans before?"

"Yes, it was back when I first entered this country."

After that, she chugged down that bottle of sweet juice like no tomorrow.

Really, you seem to love it. Are you sure you're not trying to keep this all for yourself?

"Eh... How long have you been in this country?"

"About a hundred years or so? I lost track. Back then, our relationship wasn't great but it was manageable. Right before their previous ruler died, things deteriorated fast. It only took one year for our trade to come to a complete halt. Nothing I did had helped ever since."

"Ahem, ahem, by the way, do you like that sweet water? I still want to sell stuff."

"Oh right, what's this small figure?" She asked, looking at the figurine I made. My question was completely ignored!

"It's a figurine of me! It's perfect, isn't it?"

Her gaze shifted between it and my face.

"Have you seen a mirror?"

"No..." My voice trailed off.

"Go take a look. There's one next door." She gestured to the door next to her office desk.

My confidence. Please.

The |tactician| trait didn't allow me to see myself so there was that. That trait was broken in its own way. My transformation ability didn't really allow myself to see myself either. Transformation was based on my vague imagination and instructions.

I whimpered, "Do I look... bad?"

"What are you talking about? You can't make a model of yourself if you've never seen your reflection, right?"

Oh! There's still hope!

"Ah I see."

"Also, if you want it to sell well, get rid of that dress."

"Ehhhh?!"

"Do you see anyone wearing that getup here? It's just so out of place. Make it simple."

"Oh, so that's what you meant."

"On that note, if you can manufacture textiles for us, that would be greatly appreciated as well."

"What about food and drinks?"

"I wouldn't recommend it."

"But you drank all that sweet water just now!" I protested.

"Fine, I understand. If you can ferment it into an alcoholic beverage, it might become popular. Do that and I'll approve it."

Fermented drinks required living bacteria. I doubted I could create them with my ability. All it took was one success and I should be able to isolate the desired molecules. Nonetheless, the chances of failure was much higher. Fermentation was not that different from spoilage and I had no experience fermenting anything before.

Theory was theory in the end. It was useless unless put into practice.

In the end, I agreed with her demand. In exchange, she would order food samples and medicines for me. This way I could try combining different things together and make new products.

"By the way, I've never eaten anything. Do you create a stomach for yourself?" I asked Kanoko who was still busy but now with extra work coming from me.

"Ah, well, every fey being is different. My body functions same as the folks here. Have you not tried eating your self-grown food?"

"Ehh... No."

Wouldn't that be equivalent to eating myself?

"What?! How do you plan to sell something you have not tried yourself? Thank heavens I didn't approve your request."

"But was it tasty?"

"I get your point," she paused, "You've never eaten before?"

"No. I use ability to absorb things because I have no stomach."

"I see. You should still be able to taste and absorb food while they are in your mouth. You don't really need a stomach to store or digest anything."

"Oh! You're a genius. That means I can eat as much as I want! What have I been doing all this time?!" I exclaimed with this shocking realization.

"Your child has that weird ability that can explain things to you. She should have told you."

"Curses. I've been duped."

"It's understandable if she can only watch you eat after disclosing the fact. Don't go too hard on her, okay?"

"Got it. I'll eat in secret. She'll never find out!" I nodded with a smirk.

Then, I'll tell her after the fact! She'll drown in envious despair.  

"Off you go, I have work to do." She gestured me to the exit.

"One moment, I still need to check the mirror."

"Okay. Please keep it down."

I was a bit confused with the last phrase but entered the adjacent room regardless.

125