Chapter 9: Protecting the Weak
4.3k 17 179
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

«Proficiency Threshold Reached... Skill has Levelled Up: [Sneak LV 2] -> [Sneak LV 3]»

«Proficiency Threshold Reached... Skill has Levelled Up: [Appraisal LV 4] -> [Appraisal LV 5]»

Oh sweet. My skills have levelled up!

It has been a long time since I entered the 87th floor. Yet, I have not found the stairs to the next floor up. As I explored the area, searching for it, I came to the realisation that 87th floor is a whole lot bigger than the floors below.

Come to think of it, the 90th floor which I had started on, was really spacious yet small in comparison to the 89th floor. After that, the 88th floor was then somewhat bigger than the 89th floor. Which means, the upper floors from here on out will gradually become even more spacious than the lower floors. In other words, searching for the safe spot, which are the stairs, will gradually become harder as I move up.

If that's the case, I should probably stay here on the 87th floor for awhile longer. However, I should find the stairs first and make note of its location, since it is a safe spot after all.

Plus, I am getting tired after all the sneaking around. So I should get some sleep as soon as possible, especially since there is no way to tell the time in a world without sunlight.

"Kyuu~!"

Huh, what was that? It sounded like it came from nearby. But knowing this place, it's probably a monster making that noise. Although, I have never heard of a cry like that from a monster before.

For starters, the wolves make howling sounds; the snakes make hissing sounds; the bats make annoying shrieks; the monkeys go unga bunga; the rabbits..... and finally, the spiders make some really strange noises which I have no idea how to describe it. However, none of these noises are like the one I have just heard.

Which could only mean one thing... It must be a rare type of monster which I have yet to see, isn't it?

Alright, I went and made myself really curious now. So let's check out what the rare monster is! Who knows, there may be a chance where I could potentially kill it myself!

I head off into the direction where the monster's cry came from. As I search and search, I could hear the cry gradually becoming louder and louder until I stumbled across a snake monster coiling around something.

I can hear it; the cry of the monster is coming from where the snake is coiling around. It would seem that the monster's cry is like a cry for help or something. But, I can't see it. The snake's body is preventing me from seeing what the monster looks like. All I can see is that it is coiling around some sort of a barrier, with the top part of it being visible but not the monster in it.

"Kyuu~ Kyuu~!!"

Hmm... Maybe if I move to the ceiling, then I can see what the monster is.

Let's see uh, is there anything that connects to the— Ah, that rock pillar will do.

While moving in Shadow Sneak, I climbed up the pillar and reached the ceiling. Gravity won't affect me while I'm in Shadow Sneak, so I have no worries about falling on my head.

Now then, from this angle, I should be able to see what the rare monster looks like inside the barrier.

I moved right above where the snake and the rare monster are. The snake's head is somewhat blocking my view as it kept on attacking the barrier, while the rare monster cries.

Eventually, the snake moved its head to a certain position, allowing me to get a glimpse of what the rare monster looks like.

It's a little fox. With fur as white as snow, and a bushy tail that looks really soft and fluffy. Its size is about the same as the rabbit monsters. It's... really really cute, just looking at it from afar.

And it is also shivering in fear while the snake attacks its barrier!

"Kyuu~!! Kyuu~!!"

Hngh!

No... no no no. Don't think about saving it, me. This is a dungeon where monsters are really powerful. I'm sure that, despite its cute appearance, it can actually shred that snake into pieces. It is a rare monster after all, so why couldn't it do that.

"Kyuu~!!" Kyuu~!! Kyuu~!!"

...It can... save itself... right?

"Kyuu~!!" Kyuu~!! Kyuu~!! Kyuu~!!"

...I might regret this.

The snake repeatedly attacks the fox's barrier with its fangs. The barrier hold strong, however, there is no telling when it might break. That is why, if I am to kill the snake, I have to hit it in the head from up here as there is no telling what would happen if I were to initiate combat with it, especially now when it has yet to notice my presence because of the Sneak skill.

It'll be fine. The snake is weak against magical attacks. Dark Domain is classfied as "magical". Which is why, I am certain I can kill it. However, if I miss, then I'll have no choice but to run and abandon the fox to its demise. In other words, one try; I only have one try to kill the snake and save the fox. If that fails, then all I can say is, I'm sorry little guy but try harder in your next life.

The movement of the snake's head is hard to predict, but whenever it attacks, it would always strike the same spot on the barrier. So that is where I shall strike.

I manipulated the darkness and pre-emptively extended out a spike, aiming at the spot of the barrier where the snake would attack.

I can feel my heart beating, and my breathing becoming heavy. As if I am now in a situation between life and death, despite my life not being the one at risk.

Why am I trying to save the fox? That thing could potentially be the cause of my death in the future and yet, here I am, trying to save it; wanting to save it. Like I have some sort of obligation to save it.

So why...? Is it because it looks cute? Is it because it is afraid? No, it's not that. I simply just want to save it. I just want to protect, what looks to me as, "the weak".

Is that so hard to understand!?

There is no logical reason to it, and I may regret saving it somewhere along the lines in the future. However, for some reason, I feel like I would regret it even more if I were to ignore it, especially when it is so obviously crying out for help in a place where there is none!

"Kyuu~!!" Kyuu~!! Kyuu~!!"

Hold on, little guy. I'm going to save you right now!

The snake moved to attack the same spot of the barrier again. At the same time, I launched the spike of darkness at where it is about to attack. The snake hits the barrier first, finally creating a crack in it. But immediately after that, the spike of darkness pierced through its head in a clean fashion, as well as the barrier. Fortunately, my attack didn't hit the fox as it was nowhere near where the spike had landed.

With that being said, I have gotten my first snake kill and have successfully saved the f— Eh?

In the middle of my celebration, my chest hurts all of a sudden as I then coughed out blood.

What... happened? Did I take damage? How!?

«Proficiency Threshold Reached... Skill has Levelled Up: [Survivor LV 1] -> [Survivor LV 2]»

Huh? Survivor skill levelled up? Did I take a vital damage or something? But I don't remember getting hit—

No, wait. I took damage after killing the snake... Don't tell me, it has some sort of skill that can fatally wound its enemies after dying!?

If that's the case, then thank god I have the Survivor skill. Who knows what would've happened if I wasn't given it by Evil God-san.

But still, while I am still alive thanks to Survivor, my body still hurts because of that snake.

Tsk. No choice then...

Notice:

[Spend Current Points to Level Up?]

«YES» OR «NO»

Yes.

I levelled up while in Shadow Sneak. The rejuvenating light shrouds my body and instantly healed any wounds or injuries I have taken. The blood which I had coughed out disappears, as the pain is lifted from my body, and my new status popped up after it was done.

Geh! 10,000 points for level 5!? Well, at least it's lesser than I have expected...

Still, why must it be so much!?

Anyways, despite seeing its foe dead, the fox has yet to remove the barrier it had casted. Rather, it seemed to have reinforced it instead.

I leave Shadow Sneak and dropped down to the ground, landing on my feet. Fortunately, maybe it's because I'm a demon, my knees weren't broken or anything.

The fox sees me, as I looked back into its eyes.

"Kyu~?"

The fox seemed to have calm down a bit, as I have shown no hostility to it. Neither is it showing any hostility to me. The barrier, however, is still intact.

But knowing that it is not a threat to me, I call upon Dark Domain and put the snake's corpse in it. After that, I gave the fox a wave before diving into Shadow Sneak and left the area.

Goodbye, little fella! Try not to get yourself into danger again, alright?

And so, I continued my search for the stairs, but after a few minutes in, I realised something.

I forgot to appraise the fox's stats, didn't I!?

Thanks for reading. 🍫

Hope you liked it.

Goodbye.

179