Introduction And Dramatis Personae
1k 10 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You can skip this if you want! Thats like, the first part. This Introduction will explain some things, especially the relation between this work, I Didn't Ask To Be The Demon Queen and We Didn't Ask To Be Here. If you just wanna get right into it, you can just click "Next" in the top right and move right along :) 

Introduction

I don't often do introductions. They often feel so unnecessary and largely self-indulgent, but there's a few things to get out of the way. First off is Demon Queen as a coherent narrative. 

In Book One, "I Didn't Ask To Be The Demon Queen," Liz met her fate at the hands of truck-kun and was transported to the magical world of Wydonia, which looked a lot like an expansion to a video game she'd sort of heard of but didn't know all that much about. Problems arose when she found out she had been transported into the body of the conquering Demon Dragon Queen, despite being utterly terrified of violence in almost all its forms, and she had some hangups about herself and her relationship to women and womanhood to overcome. She fell in love, and then the person she fell in love with also fell in love with someone else, and that person fell in love with Liz, and everything was reciprocated and it was all very fluffy and cute. Then war happened, Queen Anastasia, the perfectly lovely — if somewhat young — regent of Wydonia was essentially kidnapped, leading Liz to stage a rescue mission, aided by the companions of the Hero that had tried to kill the old Demon Queen. The day was saved, the monarchy was dismanteled, although not everyone made it. Most notably,

Spoiler

one of Liz's two loves

[collapse]

passed before they made it to the end of their journey. Also of note is that both the old Demon Queen (Eliza, then later renaming herself Lisa) and the great Hero (just Daniel, thanks) had been transplanted to our world, where they fell in love and had their own strange happily ever after, ending in a little polyamorous square with another couple who could, if not truly understand, at least relate to some of their troubles. Their story is told in more detail in We Didn't Ask To Be Here

That's where our story takes place. Wydonia is calm. Old friends travel the world together, and Liz has settled down. Until things start to go wrong again, and who better to try and fix things than the Demon Queen?

I Didn't Ask To Be The Demon Queen was a passion project, and I wrote the whole thing in just a couple of months. There's flaws in it, and you'll find some parts of this storyseem to retcon or directly contradict the first part, but there aren't many. There's just three, in fact:

  1. Spoiler

    Sabine, Liz's lover,

    [collapse]

    never made a reappearance.

    Spoiler

    She

    [collapse]

    was not resurrected. I know that's a big one, but it will be addressed within the story.

  2. Throughout Book One, Liz and Lisa have exactly one conversation, spoken through a portal that was made between their two worlds, and so did Daniel and the girl who ended up in his body. This was retconned, to have taken place in a shared dreamspace. This allowed them to know each other (and themselves) a lot better. This ended when their adventure did and all parties accepted their place in their respective worlds. 
  3. Sally, the girl who ended up in Daniel's body, has a fairly large family in Book One. This was retconned to her having two conservative and bigoted parents.

Dramatis Personae

(List of characters previously in the world of Demon Queen)

Use this to get a quick reminder of who these characters are. Here be spoilers for both I Didn't Ask To Be The Demon Queen and We didn't Ask To Be Here!

Liz: Our heroine, Liz died in our world and woke up the Demon Dragon Queen in Wydonia. She's since learned to stand up for herself (which is, at nine feet tall, not nothing), grow a little bit taller if necessary (ten feet), with assorted wings, and when absolutely pushed, she can turn into an actual Dragon (like, castle-sized). She's only ever done this once, though. She lives with Kazumi, her girlfriend, in a small house north of the great river that separates Wydonia from the cold northern lands, where the old Demon Queen's castle stands.

Lisa: The previous Demon Queen, Eliza, was killed by Daniel (it was mutual), the hero, and woke up in our world. There, she found herself, more than anything, and changed her name to Lisa. She learned that choice, not the expecations of others, are what define her. And what defines her are a sharp wit, a kind heart, a love of food, and a refusal of the cruelty that was sort of expected of a Demon Queen. Now, she's a writer, and lives with Daniel and their two partners, Jenny and Hayden.

Lillian: Lillian was not a major character in the first book. She was a Paladin, whose blessings healed the wounds of her allies, except those of Demons like Liz. This caused a crisis of faith, and she had to reevaluate what 'divine' meant to her. At the end of Book One, she set out to travel the world to find something to believe in.

Kazumi: The first person Liz had a proper conversation with when she arrived in Wydonia, Kazumi is a Lamia, half snake (the bottom half, it's awkward the other way around). She quickly developed a crush on Liz after realizing she wasn't the original Demon Queen, who she once served. She represents most of the non-Human races in Wydonia, who, up until recently, lived as second-class citizens. Her and Liz also developed feelings for Sabine. 

Sabine: A powerful mage who died from the feedback of a redirected strike, Liz brought her back to life in a panic. Now undead (the legal term is 'Lich', although 'Dullahan' also applies. Her and Kazumi fell for each other, and the two of them confessed their feelings for Liz together. The three of them have been inseparable until Sabine, halfway through their adventures, died by an enemy arrow. Though Liz did her best, she couldn't be revived.

Daniel: The old hero, Daniel died in his battle with the Demon Queen and woke up in the hospital in our world. He and Lisa found themselves and each other, and Daniel rejected the expectations and demands associated with a word like 'Hero'.  Getting work at a local gym, he met Jenny, and through her, Hayden. The four of them now live together.

Sally: Sally was just a girl, living in the city, far away from her conservative parents, until she saw Liz crossing the street and about to be hit by a truck. She tried to push her out of the way, absolutely failed, and was also reincarnated in Wydonia. After Liz helped her get a more comfortable body, she ended up with wings and little horns. She's been a faithful companion all along, and she is a popular sight across Wydonia. 

Anastasia: The old Queen of Wydonia, Anastasia laid down her crown at the urging of Liz. She's a kind person, and is beloved by the populace. Because of that, she was elected to be one of the representatives on the newly formed Wydonian council. 

Jenny: One of Daniel and Lisa's partners, Jenny is a gym rat, a good mom, and a bit of a nerd. She's queer and had a big hand in helping Daniel — and through him, Lisa — work their way through their issues. She's dated Hayden for a long time, and the two are kind partners, if a bit protective.

Hayden: The last leg of Daniel, Lisa and Jenny's romantic square, Hayden is a snappy dresser with snappier comebacks. He's also a bit of a dad, and him and Daniel share not just their attraction to Lisa and Jenny, but a love of power tools and gardening. 

Erza: At almost eight feet tall, Erza is an imposing sight. She's a representatives of the various Ork clans that live throughout the Spines, the mountain-range that flanks the northern lands. Her goal is the repatriation of her peoples, who were driven out of their homes half a century ago. Incredibly cunning, the only reason she isn't underestimated is because of her size. Even so, there's more to her than meets the eye, and she's one of the only people who doesn't have to crane her neck to look Liz in the face. 

Melamira: An Elf from a long bloodline, she prefers life on the road. She and Lillian were once partners, in more ways than one, and the two of them were a part of Daniel's retinue. She's a crack shot with a bow, and athletic to boot. Often goes by Mellie. 

Tilly: One of few other people Liz helped into a more comfortable body, she ended up being a three-foot-tall Kobold. Still retaining all her strength from when she was a six-foot-tall warrior, she's a small, angry ball of energy that can easily take you off at the knees with her deftly wielded longsword. She goes yip and is very throwable.

Serana/Morgana: She was once an Elf queen, whose floating city and people were burned by humans eons ago. Resurrected by the Demon Queen Eliza, she's back for revenge. Or... she was, until Liz came along and beat her into submission with optimism and kindness. Taking up her old name of Serana once again, the air of death that permeates the air around her isn't as strong as it once was, and she now seeks to rebuild — or regrow, as the case migt be — the floating Mangrove-city she once ruled.

Elena: A fiery mage with a temper and unresolved issues, Elena was mostly a background character who held the Wydonian border with John Mustrum. She grew a lot as a person through a combination of Dialectic Behavioral Therapy and good ol' off-screen anger management. She's now dating John, who is proving to be more than a calming influence on her.

John Mustrum: A wizened old wizard with incredible book-smarts, John Mustrum is secretly barely twenty years old, and he's been fooling everyone, afraid people won't take him seriously. His deception was uncovered by Elena, who found him endearing. The two taught each other much, in very different ways.

Duncan: A bit-part character who showed up in a single scene and was never heard from again. He had armor and used words like "strategy". He'll be back. I think.

48