Arc V Chapter 3
7.5k 28 196
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc V Chapter 3


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“...” Shikaku gazed at Asami from across his desk. Eventually, though, he relented, giving up his resistance. A heavy sigh escaped Konoha’s undisputed tactical and strategic adviser. “You know, Asami, I have rarely been bested like this before throughout all my career, but you did it. You win, Asami. You have got a point. We are going with your plan. Are you satisfied now?”  

 

Asami grinned. Victory was hers. “I am, Shikaku-kun, I am. We will work out the details in the coming weeks. After all, this was just the rough draft.” When she said we, she meant him and Fumihiko. Her assistant lacked experience. Entrusting Fumihiko with all the administrative work would help him to polish his skills. He needed practice, and she wanted to reduce her workload.

 

Shikaku emrely waved off. “That's fine. I seriously need a drink after this meeting anyway, a strong one if possible. A seasoned bottle of Sake, probably.” 

 

Asami sheathed her sword, ignoring his drinking habit. “Fumihiko, if you would be so kind, please unroll the next map.”

 

Her words freed Fumihiko from his stupor. “Which map?”

 

“The world map, please.” Asami smiled. It was time for the next stage of her little performance. The Hokage tasked her with defending Konoha, but she had a broad definition of the term ‘defence’. Where did duty start? Where did duty end? Questions over questions.

 

Fumihiko unrolled the map. The Land of Fire, the Land of Wind, the Land of Water, the Land of Lightning, the Land of Earth appeared on the ground. They surrounded by minor countries. Kusagakure, Takigakure, Yugakure, Yukigakure Amegakure, they were villages condemned to perpetual insignificance, forever marionettes of foreign influence. The stage was set, the curtain lifted.

 

Shikaku leaned forwards, confusion written all over his face. “A world map? Why do we need a world map, Asami? Isn't the meeting already over? Because I need to go somewhere ...”

 

Her glare stopped Shikaku dead in his tracks, cancelling his trip to the nearest bar. Her petrifying stare pinned him down. “You, my friend, you go nowhere unless I say so, understood?” 


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“...” Shikaku gulped. Asami reminded him of his wife, Yoshino. Only shorter, and less fearsome, but similarly dominant. Hopefully, Shikamaru wouldn't find out how he got whipped by a little girl. “Well, I guess I can spare some time for you, Yoshi ... Asami. What do you want to show me?” 

 

Asami beamed. “Nothing in particular. Let's just have a nice chat about Konoha's future, Shikaku.”

 

“A nice chat, what?” Shikaku raised a suspicious eyebrow.  

 

Asami smiled. “Yes, just a nice little chat with you, Konoha’s strategic genius, Konoha's brilliant tactician, …”

 

“You know, flattery won't get you far.” Shikaku folded his hands. His time was limited, and so was his patience. “So what do you want, Asami?”

 

Asami flashed a predatory grin. “You, Shikaku, have what I lack, you possess direct access to the village council and your words carries weight. Thus, I ask you to inform the council about a variety of worrying circumstances, circumstances that cannot be ignored any longer.”

 

“And that would be? Tell me, what's so important that I should report it directly to council?” Shikaku lent her an ea, listening. She talked sense before, so why not again? It was worth a shot. The only thing that annoyed him that was he completely unable to read her. He couldn't read her at all. Certain people were hard nuts to crack, difficult to read, but Asami was in a completely different league. Normally, it was he who was holding the cards, but not this time. Asami eluded him. World map? Village council? Cicusmtance? What was she trying to get at? 

  

Asami motioned at the map. “What do you see, Shikaku?”

 

“I see a map.” Shikaku yawned, not much interested in her little games.

 

Asami nodded. “Indeed, it is a map. In short, nothing special. But everything in life is a matter of perspective. The map might be the same, but we don't see things differently. So, I ask you again, what do you see, Shikaku? Because there is danger looming on the horizon.” The girl repeated her innocent question.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

196