Chapter 16 – Family Meeting – Part 2 (~)
5.1k 18 128
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Editor: Tgx

Tgx: "Hey, guys! As you have noticed my name at the start of every chapter, I'm editing this novel. I hope you enjoy the (hopefully) improved grammar and word choice and word order corrections if you are an older reader. And will continue to enjoy the unedited novel in its fullest! I'll be editing it semi-regularly like I edited the past fifteen chapters and hope to see you around in the comment sections of future chapters!"

[Dining Room]

"I want a computer!" said Riku.

"A computer, huh? Why do you want a computer, Riku?" Seigo asked.

"I need it for my studies. Collecting information on the internet is more practical than relying on the school library."

For a moment, Rimu doubted her ears. As far as she knew, her father would give Riku a computer only after they reached junior high. And that's only because Rimu selfishly took control of their PS2, not because Riku asked. But now, Riku is aiming to get the computer a few years earlier.

'What happened? Did I unintentionally cause a butterfly effect?' Rimu pondered.

It is said that a butterfly in the Amazon rainforest could flap it's wings a few extra times and this could cause a tornado in Kansas two weeks later.

 

A small alteration in the timeline could lead to a huge change of the future events. The fact that Rimu traveled in time inevitably changed something. However, whether it was a good or a bad thing for Rimu, nobody knows yet.

"Hahahaha! As expected of my son! A mere elementary school's puny library couldn't satisfy your desire of knowledge anymore, huh? Okay, I will buy you one. Do you have anything in mind particular?" Seigo took out his smartphone and opened the Amazon app.

"Nope, any decent computer is fine for me." Riku answered.

Seigo clicked the search button and typed ‘computer’ in it. He selected the cheapest one from the search results and clicked the purchase. It was not because he was stingy, but he wanted to test if Riku could properly use the computer or not.

"The computer should arrive in 1 to 5 days, but considering the merchant's location, it will most likely arrive by tomorrow."

"Thank you, Father."

Once more, you could feel the glory of modern technology. Most trouble could be solved with one click!

Rimu looked at Riku and their eyes meet. Riku smiled.

Rimu: 'Gununu...'

Riku: 'This is for you Rimu! If you want a computer, all you have to do is ask! It's totally okay for a child to rely on their parents. Now, go ahead and ask too! Come on... come on!!'

The twins had an unwritten rule:

"If one side gets something, the other side must get the same thing or something with the same value."

The rule was not enforced, but if she suddenly broke this rule, it would bring Riku's unnecessary suspicion upon herself.

Riku's face said everything. She could read his mind. Rimu could only pouted in dissatisfaction. It was not long since she determined to only rely on herself, but now she had no choice except to undermine this resolve she had just made.

"In that case, I want a smartphone, Dad." Rimu made up her mind.

"Oh, not a computer like Riku?" Seigo asked curiously.

Riku was also curious about Rimu's choice. She unexpectedly chose the smartphone which was cheaper than a computer. But he suddenly realized something.

Rimu had already build a computer for herself, although it was still stored in the closet of their room for now.

"I can borrow Riku's computer if I need it for something. If there were two computers, our room would become cramped." said Rimu.

She felt no need to reveal her DIY computer at all. Convinced with Rimu's reasoning, Seigo nodded his head.

"Makes sense. Then your preference?" Seigo asked.

"LTE and 4G available, also pink. Any brand is fine." Rimu answered.

Seigo was quite surprised.

This girl knows her stuff clearly, doesn't she?

'Hmm, I didn't think Rimu was so knowledgeable, perhaps she isn't so ignorant as I think. She is just overshadowed by Riku.' Seigo thought to himself as he searched for a pink smartphone at her request.

He had difficulty comparing the specs since he had to click on each one one by one as Amazon also sold older smartphones which didn't have 4G. A few minutes later he found one and ordered it.

The item would arrive at the same time as Riku's computer.

"We'll buy a mobile plan later after your smartphone arrives. Just leave your schedule open for tomorrow." Seigo said as he closed the app.

"Aye aye sir!" Rimu saluted.

She reorganized her plan inside her mind,

'Meeting with Kisara, Karate practice, then the mobile phone contract, I can't do all of them simultaneously... I guess I'll need another sick leave tomorrow.'

Riku sighed,

'Though it's not what I intended, at least Rimu learnt how to rely on others.'

He looked at his sister, worried she would have disappeared the next moment without him knowing if, left all alone. But if she learnt how to rely on others, she won't have to take such a risk in the future.

Mikoto observed the father-daughter talk with a frown, her intuition told her something was wrong with Rimu. In her mind there was one hypothesis that matched her daughter’s strange behavior.

'Perhaps, Rimu experienced time travel?'

 

128