3. Pride for the peace
7.3k 30 233
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An hour… mere 60 minutes and an army of 23,500 was decimated to roughly a mere 6,000. Even without the leadership of Duke Malfen, the vampires' attacks didn’t weaken nor lose any cohesion whatsoever. Julian and the other commanders of coalition forces were at their wit's ends. Olia and Julian were fighting side by side against vampire soldiers, making sure that their support units would not be attack.

"They are still like this does it mean then…"

"It’s like we didn’t even get their leader at all!"

No army was able to keep attacking coherently with their commander's death. Even if someone else took on the commander’s role, it would still cause some disruption in cohesion, especially to the vampires.

"Could it be that me and the human got the wrong guy?"

The Beastman's chieftain joined the conversation as he sliced vampires with his short sword. What he said made sense, but Duke Malfen was the strongest vampire on the battlefield. And it was unheard of for vampire nobles to stay away from the fight.

"Ehh... Julian. Isn’t that…?"

As they fought, Olia pointed at a nearby hill. Julian and others could have sworn that the hill was empty earlier, but now there stood several figures surrounding a seated figure. A dark red banner with a winged sword crest was flying above them.

"…. The queen…"

The Chieftain of the Beastman answered Olia. Julian just let out a defeated sigh as he looked towards the hill.

"We lost… If she is here, we don’t have a chance."

"Wait! What are you trying to do!?"

"End the war."

Julian walked empty-handed towards the group of vampires that were closer to him, or more precisely, towards a young looking woman in armor among them. Based on the quality of her armor and the engravings on it, it was apparent that she was some sort of officer.

"I request an audience with your queen."

The woman looked surprised, but sheathed her curved sword that was in her hand. Then she nodded her head towards one of her subordinates, who nodded in response and blew into the trumpet. Afterwards, vampiric forces ceased all combat and moved slightly back to put some distance between themselves and coalition forces.

The woman signaled for Julian to follow her and walked towards the hill. Julian had to admire vampires for immediately ceasing their fight when an opportunity to negotiate presented itself, even though they were the ones dominating the battlefield.

After a bit of walking past several dozen vampire soldiers, Julian, led by the vampire lady, arrived on top of the hill where the queen was. The Woman kneeled in front of the throne, averting her gaze to the ground, and Julian followed suit.

"Your majesty, this human comes on behalf of the commanders of enemy forces."

"Actually, your majesty. My name is Julian Beleng, a leader of coalition forces."

Julian slightly raised his head as he spoke and peaked at the vampire queen. To his surprise, the queen looked young for her age. It was to be expected that as a vampire, her appearance would not match her age, but even though she sat on the throne for more than a hundred years, her appearance was that of a young girl.

"…I didn’t think that the vampire queen would be a little girl…"

His quiet murmur was less of a mockery towards the queen and more of a Julian’s self-deprecation. In front of him sat a little silver-haired girl with red jewel-like eyes. She was dressed in a black lace dress. Pair of black leather shoes was adoring her feet along with black silk stockings wrapped around her slim legs. If Julian didn’t know about her from history books, he would have thought that she was no older than 12.

"Loriam Kaane Leranpe, Archduchess of Losemia and 23rd queen of the blood clan."

Queen Loriam gave her introduction in a monotone, emotionless tone. Once she finished, she took a sip of red liquid from her wine glass as she fiddled with a heart-shaped pendant that was hanging around her neck.

"I came to beg of you to spare the lives of my subordinates and let them return home unharmed. In exchange, I offer my surrender and my head to you."

Julian lowered his head once again. As a leader of coalition forces, he messed up big time. He could not see it any other way. He was the one who led them here for the purpose of decisive battle, but instead he just dragged thousands of brave souls to an early grave. And for this, he was willing to atone with his life.

"You offer up your life for the sake of your allies, but they will just fight later, so why should I accept your proposal instead of finishing you all?"

The queen, Loriam, talked without a hint of emotion on her face or in her voice. Do you think I am an idiot? Her gaze that landed on Julian seemed to ask, while she still fiddled with the heart-shaped pendant as if to make sure it was still there. Julian broke into a cold sweat at the queen’s word.

"Y- You seem to have misunderstood, your majesty. I offer my life and the coalition’s capitulation in exchange for granting your mercy upon my countrymen and allies."

"Is that so? In that case, are you willing to become my slave for their sake? If so, than kiss my feet and I shall not harm them."

The queen lifted her feet as if to emphasize her demand, still without a trace of emotion in her face. The other vampires looked at Julian mockingly while he himself was still kneeling in front of the queen, Loriam. If I throw my pride away and kiss her feet, then everyone can be saved... Olia will survive. But is there really no other way?

Making up his mind, Julian hesitantly nodded his head and moved closer towards the queen, slowly removing her leather shoes. The queen then rubbed his chin with her stocking-clad feet as his face filled with disgust. Why am I, a human hero, a leader of a multiracial coalition, kneeling beneath the disgusting feet of this stupid brat?! Why do I have to go through such humiliation?

All of Julian’s comrades looked at Julian with concern, some with shame. The shame of witnessing their noble leader, a hero that was supposed to free them from this evil in the form of an adorable little girl, but now he was being humiliated for their sake. Some wished that they could switch places with their leader and endure this humiliation in his place. As Olia’s gaze met Julian’s eyes, he saw the look of worry on his fiancé’s face and hesitated.

Noticing his hesitation, the queen signaled to a nearby vampire, who nodded in response and took command of a group of archers, instructing them to take aim at the coalition army.

"I suppose you changed your mind about your own proposal then? In that case, you all die here."

"Please wait! I will do it."

Julian yelled out in panic, expecting that it was the end for them. But to his surprise, the queen signaled to the vampires to stop and then lifted her feet in front of Julian’s face without any expression.

Curse you devil, I shall get my revenge. Julian mentally cursed the vampire queen as he started to kiss her feet, his face filled with utmost disgust. His hand moved upward on to Loriam’s calf, gripping it tightly. Julian’s desire for retribution clouded his mind. He wanted to harm Loriam, and so he put his strength into his grip on her calf. Julian was confident in his strength, ripping off the legs of some stupid vampiric brat when she didn’t expect it would be an easy task. But in order to conceal his intentions, he kept kissing Loriam’s feet. Now! When Julian figured out that this was a good moment, he put all of his strength into his grip.

"…continue."

"…huh?"

But the painful scream he expected didn’t come. Instead, Loriam seemed to actually be enjoying it as she urged Julian to continue. Julian felt confusion building up in his mind. No way, this was enough strength to rip steel pipes apart and she’s enjoying it?

"You gave me a rather nice massage, I think there is some value in you."

A massage? This was just a massage to her!? Julian was filled with rage. All of the vampires looked at him with even bigger mockery than before. Loriam was still emotionless but even she seemed to wear mocking expression, at least as far as Julian was concerned.

Loriam, unbothered by Julian’s hate-filled face, placed her small hands on his cheeks and forcibly pulled him closer to her.

"But being able to give a good massage isn’t worth that much to accept your conditions."

"Wh-What are you trying to do...!?"

Loriam ignored Julian’s words as she bared her fangs towards his neck. In an instant that felt like eternity to Julian, a sharp pain spread from the area of his neck to the rest of his body. His disgust and hatred towards this vampiric demon intensified as he felt his blood being sucked by her.

"?!"

Loriam’s mouth was filled with a taste she seemed to recognize from somewhere but couldn’t point out from where exactly. As she was pondering over it, she seemed to realize something, perhaps figuring out the answer she had been looking for. and then hurriedly removed her fangs from Julian’s neck.

Julian felt slightly relieved when he felt Loriam puling her fangs out of his neck, but it didn’t erase the shame of being this little brat’s plaything. Who does this brat think I am? I swear that I will get my revenge.

When Julian turned to face Loriam to give her a piece of his mind, He was greeted by the face of Loriam, looking at him carefully as if to not let a single detail escape her eyes. He was slightly startled by how close she was to his face now. When he calmed down, he noticed that her face had an expression filled with a mixture of sadness and happiness, with tears forming at the corner of her eyes. Wait, what is she crying for?!

"Uhh...Your majesty?"

Julian was at a loss for words as the vampire queen started to tear up. He tried to call out to her. After all, if she gets too upset, she will kill all his comrades and his fiancé among them.

"What have you done, your human scum?!"

"That’s right, this human seems to have poisoned her majesty. Do you human have no honor to speak of at all!?"

"Wha…"

However, all of the vampires seemed to agree that this situation was strange and started to accuse him of harming their queen.

"I know that believing to a human again would be a bad idea! But this time I shall take your life!"

Wait, I haven’t done anything! And what does she mean by that again?! Julian panicked as the woman that led him to their queen looked at him with hate as she drew out her sword. But a voice that surprised everyone present with its intensity came out.

"That’s enough!"

Loriam looked over all of her subordinates with an intense stare. If a glance could kill, they would have been dead a million times over by now. Julian was even more surprised by her behavior than anybody else. Did she really just save me.

Ignoring confused stares from everyone, Loriam looked back at Julian with a light smile as she wiped tears from her eyes while she gripped the pendant around her neck tighter than ever.

"Julian…. Beleng…. Why didn’t I realize it sooner? I almost…"

Loriam’s face showed great sadness as she murmured to herself. Julian was even more confused as he felt her hand on his cheek. Why is she talking to me like she knows me?

Loriam, placed her hand on his forehead, and dark red magical power gathered in her palm. Before he could do anything, Loriam’s spell hit him and he started to lose his conscience.

"Don’t worry, I will keep my promise. I would never lie to my…"

The last thing Julian heard was Loriam’s silent murmur that seemed to be addressed to him, but he lost consciousness before she could finish her words.

233