48. Dinner
1.4k 10 63
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, how did you sneak here?"

In a tent built for Julia at the edge of the forest near the city, Julia questioned Lily, who was laying on her lap. Her tone was as gentle as it could get, yet Lily looked away guiltily.

"I heard that the master was going away, so I prepared a few things and hid among them."

Lily’s tone was quiet, as if she were confessing to a horrendous crime. It almost looked like Lily was slowly starting to sob.

"I am not angry. I just want to know how you managed it."

Julia lifted Lily up, rubbing her ears gently. The improvement in Lily’s mood was apparent in her waving tail.

But to think she packed her own things. Julia glanced into the bag Lily was in. Inside were Lily’s clothes, a flask of water, and a small food supply in the form of jerky.

"Say, what was even your plan? When were you planning to get out?"

The remaining water and food supply could last for maybe another 4 days. That is, if Lily would ration it properly.

"I wanted to wait for the master to go to sleep so I could join〜"

Lily’s smile beamed. Julia wondered what was going on in Lily’s head. She was fully aware that Lily was loyal to her to the extreme, and she also knew that Lily refused to leave her side when she was unconscious. Hell, even Loriam left Julia alone for a few hours. But Lily simply stayed with her, supposedly keeping Julia warm with her body.

Thinking about it, ever since mom bought her, she has been sleeping with me. Julia rummaged through her memories, searching for a night when Lily wasn’t snuggled against her.

but she found nothing. In all of her memories, Lily was sleeping next to her. Did Lily get dependent on me? Julia thought, looking at the innocent face of the wolf girl snuggling against her. Julia smiled wickedly.

"Oh? Did you want to sneak up on me? What a naughty puppy you are."

Julia teased Lily by pretending to be angry. though she wondered how convincing her act could be when she is smiling.

"I am sorry… I just can’t sleep without a master."

Lily’s ears flattened against her head as she looked downward. Julia was taken aback, apparently it was convincing enough for Lily to get apologetic.

As Julia looked at Lily, who seemed to be drowning in shame, her heart was overtaken by the sudden urge to protect this adorable creature sitting on her lap.

"Master?"

Without a single word, Julia wrapped her arms around Lily and pulled her into a tight hug. It wasn’t as if Julia had to say anything. Lily understood that her master wasn’t angry at her and smiled. Nothing else mattered to her at the moment, as she relaxed in her master’s arms. She tickled Julia’s nose by accident or maybe on purpose with her ears as she buried her face in Julia’s chest.

"Master’s interest in small animal-eared girls is as strong as ever, I see."

The quietness of the tent was destroyed by a voice coming from behind Julia; Kana’s voice.

Lily looked up at Kana. Lily’s nose pressed against Julia’s shoulder. She was conflicted about the accessory her master had. On the one hand, she was, just like Lily, devoted to her master. On the other hand, she was a pretty girl devoted to her master.

It was pissing her off. But Lily didn’t want her master or Kana to notice, so she made sure her expression was not visible in case it would betray her feelings.

"There you go, saying things that I don’t understand."

Julia sighed, as she rubbed Lily’s head. Kana only tilted her head.

"Master used to draw a lot of little animal-eared girls. Master also referred to the land of Beast Man as the "Paradise of kemono lolies"… It is my shame to not fit the master’s preference. I am sorry."

Kana dropped to the ground in a dogeza pose, apparently depressed by her own words.

"If it would be possible, I would grow tail and ears. But the gods didn’t bestow such power on me. Please forgive the little useless me."

Kana pressed her forehead into the ground as if trying to bury it.

Julia was dumbfounded. Why exactly was her sword begging for forgiveness? What preferences she didn’t fit? Julia once again started to ponder what kind of person was Kana’s creator.

Lily, meanwhile, seemed to understand what Kana was saying and triumphantly puffed out her chest as a smuggest of grins appeared on her face.

"Umm… I don’t know what you're talking about, but you are forgiven."

Julia didn’t know what else to say; after all, Kana’s behavior was connected to her past. The past Julia knew nothing of.

"Master."

As if she heard the voice of a goddess, Kana lifted her head and looked at Julia devotedly. Or at least that is how Julia and Kana interpreted her look.

The emotionless expression on Kana’s face began strangely resembling that of a religious fanatic. Julia briefly pondered about Kana’s master. Not even searching the library in the palace didn’t help her at all, but she did manage to find mentions of Kana dating back more than a thousand years.

However, even the oldest of records mentioned Kana being passed down through generations.

Seeing her like this… do I even want to know what type of person created her? Julia started to revalue her curiosity. The more she learned about her master from Kana, the more depressed she became from comparison.

After all Kana’s creator sounds like a little girl liking pervert. Why is she even being compared to someone like that even? Julia felt hurt.

"P-Please excuse me, Your Highness, but it’s time for diner."

A young vampire woman wearing a set of armor and with nervousness plastered on her face entered the tent with two bowls in her hands. She briefly stopped in her tracks before placing the bowl on the table. Well, I guess it must look strange when I and Lily just stare at the sword laying on the ground.

Just as the soldier entered Kana turned into her sword form, resulting in the soldier seeing Julia sitting on a chair with Lily on her lap, as they both just stare at Sword.

"M-My apologies, your highness, but I couldn’t possibly match the quality of the palace cooking. Forgive me."

Once she placed the bowls on the table, she bowed and apologized. Julia only waved her hand.

"It’s okay, I don’t mind."

"Thank you for your kindness."

The woman looked relieved. Julia smiled slightly, she found it silly that this girl was so worried about it. Though I guess she expected a spoiled, moody princess. Julia wondered why she would think that about her in the first place.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, you may go."

"Then, if you'll excuse me."

With a bow, the woman left the tent.

As much as Julia wanted to know why this woman would have such a negative image of Julia. She also didn’t want to pressure her into giving an answer. Besides, she could guess why. After all, when she thinks "princess" she imagines a spoiled brat. Despite the fact that she has a relationship with one and that she herself is one as well.

"Well let’s eat."

"Okay."

Julia chose one of the bowls that she was certain contained blood. Julia motioned for Lily to take the other one.

It was a simple meal composed of meat-filled dumplings and a sauce. But as far as Julia was concerned, it was good enough to be served on the royal table. Though ever since becoming a vampire everything with blood seems like a heavenly delicacy to Julia.

"Mmm〜 tasty."

Lily looked like she was about to ascend to heaven as she stuffed a dumpling into her mouth. Her face was colored in pure bliss.

"Oh, yea. Is it okay for you to not eat anything?"

As she continued eating, Julia addressed Kana, who, in the meantime, got back to her spirit form.

Julia didn’t really think about it before, but she never saw her eat anything. though it is obvious since Kana spent more than a thousand years in her sword form. But still, didn’t she have to replenish her mana?

"I am fine; I absorbed enough of master’s mana when we were on the way."

"Oh, I see."

Seeing that she did not have to worry about Kana, Julia continued with her dinner with Lily.

63