Chapter 15: The Sailor’s Life
193 7 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This work of fiction deals with the struggles and complexities of central LGBTQ+ characters with nonacceptance in family, community, and religion. There are non-sexual romantic themes and scenes with some of these characters. Some scenes portray fantasy violence and injury of fictional humanoid characters, pets, magical creatures, and monsters. This work is appropriate for teenage and adult audiences. Parents are strongly cautioned because some material may be inappropriate for children under thirteen due to violence and the abovementioned themes.

Captain Beatrice sighed, “And where is your friend?”

Sileny pointed in the direction that Psarás’s ship had sailed. “He went that way.”

Beatrice turned her back to Sileny, grabbing her forehead. “You are going to vex me, aren’t you, girl?”

Sileny chuckled, “You can count on it!”

The captain walked away from Sileny towards her cabin. “Ready the ship and the girl for travel. We leave by next bell.” She stormed into her room with Sileny’s money, slamming the door behind her. The captain’s visible frustration triggered the surrounding crew to explode with laughter and groans.

The quartermaster gave everyone an angry glance causing near-immediate silence. “Quiet down, you lot. I am Nia, the quartermaster. If you have need of anything, see me directly. You are not to pester the captain or the crew. Although you have paid us for passage, we are not your servants. If you forget this, you will find the swim home to be a cold one.”

“I can respect that, Nia,” Sileny said with an evil grin.

Nia pointed to an older man in his forties who appeared half-starved. “This is Gavino, our navigator. Once we get going, he will locate your friend.”

“Miss,” Gavino spoke with a slight nod.

A muscular man in his thirties grabbed Sileny’s hand and started shaking it vigorously. “I am Burkhart, miss. Very nice to meet you. I am the ship’s cooper and carpenter,” he said with a cheerful smile on his face.

Sileny chuckled as his handshake almost knocked her over. “Very nice to meet you, Burkhart, but could I have my arm back before I lose it?”

“Sorry miss,” Burkhart flustered in embarrassment.

“That boy there you stowed away with is Ettore. He and Burkhart are my deckhands. And what should we call you?” Nia boldly glared at Sileny.

Ettore waved to Sileny before interjecting, “Her name is Sileny. We talked on the way over, and she is very nice.”

Nia tilted her head at a slight angle towards Ettore. “The girl can speak for herself.”

“It’s Sileny, and I am really nice,” Sileny curtly responded.

“No one asked you,” Nia hollered.

Sileny raised her hand and said, “But you just ….”

Ettore gently pulled her hand down, shaking his head no.

An awkward silence fell over everyone while they looked at Nia, who seemed to be expecting the crew to do something. In a thickly sarcastic tone, Nia spoke, “If it isn’t too much trouble, maybe you all could get back to work … now.”

Nia turned to face Sileny as everyone scattered to their posts. Speaking in Viar, “How can you speak my people’s language so well?”

Replying in Viar, Sileny confidently prodded, “I respect your boldness more than your diplomacy, so ask the question you want to.”

Nia cracked the slightest smile. “How did you know she was my wife, little Monsan girl?”

“When two people love as fiercely you two do, only a fool cannot see it. And I am not Monsan, but I suspect you knew that too.” Sileny daringly looked back.

Nia broke into a strange dialect that gave the crew pause. They knew she had mastered many languages but could not recognize the one she spoke. It was lyrical and rhythmic, more song than spoken words.

Instinctively without thought, Sileny responded in the same dialect, “I got stranded there by the Ladri ….”

“I knew it! You are Sinduel, but how are you here? Tenkai was destroyed decades ago,” burst Nia switching back to Viar.

Sileny sighed. “Correction, more than a century ago. That is how I ended up in Monsa. Their kaplans kept me prisoner for years, leaching off my powers.”

Nia grabbed Sileny’s arm to reassure her. “My people know the Ladri’s sting all too well. They tried enslaving us to their lying god years ago, but Addo guided us to safety.”

Sileny’s heart warmed at hearing the deity’s name. “Your people still tell Addo’s stories?”

Nia laughed, “Of course. The King of the Road would disown us if we could not carry on his words. Wait. Did you say over a century ago? How is that possible? You’re a teenager.”

Sileny gently removed Nia’s arm. “The Sinduel age differently. To my people, I am sixteen, but I was an infant when Tenkai was destroyed.”

Nia looked concerned. “Born to bondage, this is no life for anyone, least of all spirit folk.”

“Thank you, but I am not sure all would agree. The Monsans fear my people and I can only imagine the damage that has been in their absence.” Sileny eyes started to water as she quickly wiped them on her sleeve.

Nia changed the subject, “So who is this friend we are rendezvousing with?”

“He is the most amazing boy. He saved me from the kaplan,” Sileny said, blushing slightly.

Nia skeptically retorted, “A Monsan … saved a Sinduel … from the Ladri? Not even Addo has lived long enough for that to be true.”

Sileny’s eyes pulsed purple. “And yet here I am.”

Nia lifted her hand in a stopping motion. “There is no need for magic. I know you are speaking the truth, but it is crazy to hear.”

Sileny laughed loudly. “You think it’s crazy? I lived it. Besides, he is half-Aeqori.”

Nia’s laugh belted out of her while switching back to the ship’s common tongue. “Oh, that explains everything.”

Sileny’s stomach grumbled loudly enough for Nia to hear. She grabbed her stomach in embarrassment. “You wouldn’t happen to have anything to eat?”

Nia shouted, “Ettore. Take this girl downstairs and get her something to eat.”

Ettore flew into action as if he was waiting for a chance to spend time with Sileny. “Yes, ma’am. Sileny, please follow me,” he nervously said.

Nia smirked as she called out, “Ettore. The lady’s heart is spoken for, so do not get any ideas.”

Both Sileny and Ettore became flustered. Sileny’s face was flushed red with embarrassment. Nia walked away unremorseful of her words to prepare the ship for travel.

“Don’t mind her. She is just teasing. If you want to know anything, just ask …” Ettore reassured before being interrupted.

Sileny quickly turned to Ettore. “I have had a burning question ever since Beatrice stormed off. What does next bell mean?” Sileny asked.

“It means half of one hour,” explained Ettore.

“Bianchi use bells to tell time?” puzzled Sileny.

“Well, not just Bianchi, but I would imagine all ships do. Anyway, let’s get you something to eat,” Ettore said as he led the way below deck.

Sileny’s stomach grumbled again. “I will eat just about anything. Anything but apples.”

***

By Queen Elayna’s order, Marcela provided Pétur the clothing of his choice. Most of her outfits were athleticwear, more appropriate for soldiers than a princess. Much to Marcela’s surprise, he picked the most feminine outfit she owned. It was still relatively form-fitting as skirted swimsuits go. He looked in the full-length mirror inspecting his new female form. His now longer hair kept floating around as if it was alive. Marcela brushed Pétur’s hair tying it off into a ponytail. He smiled and felt strangely at ease in his new form.

“I wanted to thank you,” Pétur said nervously.

Marcela dismissively spoke, “You do not have to thank me. My mother ordered me to give you some of my clothes. Besides, I hate skirts. So, you are welcome to it.”

“Yes, the clothes too.” Pétur felt a surge of emotions and gratitude towards Marcela. Without forethought, he hugged her tightly. “Thank you for saving my life.”

Marcela resisted the urge to push him away. It had been a long time since anyone had hugged her. She, after a moment, lightly hugged him back. “No thanks are needed. It was Amarus that found you. All I did was bring you to my mother. Your magic saved you.”

Pétur let go smiling at Marcela. “But still, thanks. I only learned magic was real recently. It still feels like I am dreaming.”

Marcela looked down for a moment before meeting Pétur’s eyes again. “Pétur, I think I should apologize to you. You were in some sort of strange bubble. I used my power to sense what had happened, and it caused a magical reaction. I think it’s my fault that you got turned into a girl. I am sorry, Pétur. As the princess of the Manō, I swear I will fix this.”

“I know this is new, and I have had no time to process it, but it’s right. I can’t explain my feelings, but I am supposed to be her,” Pétur said, pointing to himself in the mirror.

Marcela took his hand. “You do not have to be nice. I should’ve listened to Amarus. He tried to warn me not to use my magic, but I never listen to him. I am very sorry I accidentally turned you into a girl.”

“I don’t think you did, but I’m happier as a girl even if you had. Besides, I look way cuter now. Wouldn’t you agree?” Pétur reassured her. He felt a surge of confidence and power inside that had never been there before. His skin and hair began to glow and glitter with magic.

Marcela nervously turned away from Pétur, letting go of his hand. She blushed unexpectedly. “Thank you, Pétur.”

Pétur hugged Marcela from behind, surprising her once again. “You know, I always felt awkward as a boy when I hugged a girl. Now it feels different. Better in some way.”

Marcela’s face had illuminated bright red as she stuttered, “You should, um, really get that glow of yours under control. It’s going to attract a lot of attention.”

Pétur let go of Marcela and gently spun her around to face each other. “I feel a connection with you. Can we be friends?”

Marcela nervously nodded, hoping Pétur would not notice her visible embarrassment. “We should get back to my mother.”

Pétur grabbed her hand again and smiled. “I am so happy that you said that. Now we get to be girl-friends.” Within a flash, he dragged her out of the room without allowing her to react to what he said.

They were back in the throne room within a few minutes, still holding hands. Marcela wiggled her hand free of Pétur’s grip catching the attention of her mother and Amarus. Her mother subtly smirked while Amarus went into momentary shock. Marcela was frustrated by the situation and her requirement to be polite to their guest. Amarus’s shock subsided, only to be replaced with confusion.

“Before you say it, we are just friends,” Marcela snapped.

Pétur cheerfully interrupted, “We are! I asked her, and she said we could be girl-friends.”

Amarus gave Marcela a look that only a sibling and rival could provide. It was something between fear, jealousy, and blind rage. “Did she just say girlfriends?”

Marcela raised her voice in protest, “No, no, no, no, no. Not like that.”

Pétur nodded. “Yes, I did. I asked her to be my friend, and now we are girls who are friends.”

Immediately, everyone present realized how sheltered a life Pétur had lived. He did not understand these were different things. This innocence plastered itself visibly on his facial expression. Amarus’s inner turmoil subsided when he realized Pétur had mixed the phrase up. Marcela returned to her natural calm and collected self after seeing Amarus relax again.

Queen Elayna walked up to Pétur. “I think you could just say friends, and that would be sufficient, Pétur. Pétur, hmm. It feels strange to use that name while you’re here. Would you be open to a girl’s name for the time being? Perhaps something more feminine until I figure out how to restore your form?”

Pétur thought for a moment and agreed. “I would like that, but I want to stay in this form if I can, please. It feels more me, if that makes sense.”

Amarus’s heart started racing at the sound of Pétur’s request. He clamored, “Yes! I mean, she shouldn’t have to change back if she doesn’t want to.”

“As you wish. So what name would be good for this new you? Well, a female form of your old name would be Petra. How do you feel about that?” Elayna inquired.

Pétur respectfully declined. “I know it is a girl’s name, but it still feels masculine. I want something more feminine. Does anyone have any ideas?”

“How about Daphne?” Marcela suggested.

“That doesn’t feel quite right,” Pétur said. His glow continued to pulse the deeper he thought about his new name. His hair seemed to sparkle in the light, catching Amarus’s attention.

“I got it! She should be called Astra.” Amarus eagerly looked for approval.

Marcela dubiously glared at Amarus. “I don’t think he looks like an Astra ….”

Pétur put his hands on Marcela’s shoulder. “She. I am a girl, and I am staying a girl, so please refer to me as she.”

Elayna smiled with pride. “I could not agree more. Consider this an order from the Queen and your mother. This young lady is not a ‘he’ any longer. She is a ‘she,’ so let us use the correct language.”

Pétur was overjoyed at hearing this. “Amarus, why the name Astra?”

Amarus explained, “Because your hair glitters like a star. Astra means star in ancient Aeqori.”

The girl formerly known as Pétur grinned. “I love it. I am now Astra.”

***

As evening rolled in, Marika stared at the ocean, lost in thought. The greater the distance between her and Monsa, the more her mind cleared. She remembered her fun times with Rybak in her youth and how much she enjoyed Edda’s Aeqori stories. As a child, she used to stare at the ocean with the same wonderment that Pétur does. She missed the sea’s water and, in her way, forgave it for taking Rybak from her. The deeper her thoughts ran, the more she realized how much she had changed over the years. Marika’s inward journey led her to a desire to return to her true self. She thought about how she would be better to Edda, Pétur, and even the Aeqori culture. Tears slowly streamed down her eyes as the world opened itself to her. A sizeable wooden tankard emerged into Marika’s view, held by a muscular Caeli man around her age.

“Alcohol softens sorrows,” spoke the man plainly.

Marika accepted the tankard. “Thank you, Geir. I appreciate this.”

Geir took a sip from his own mug. “You will see your son soon enough.”

Marika drank deeply from her cup. “Have you ever been so lost that you do not know what to do?”

“Of course,” Geir said.

Marika took another mouthful of the sweetened drink. “What did you do about it?”

Geir took another drink and then looked at her in the most intense way he could. “I had a drink with a friend.”

Marika paused for a moment before realizing he was joking. She started to laugh and cry at the same time. “I am being serious, though. What did you do?”

Geir nodded and smiled. “When I was younger, I got caught in a storm. It swept my boat far out to sea. I thought I was going to die. Luckily, I was not alone, and Sarantuya was with me. She knew what to do. We waited for night, and she read the moon and stars like a map. Within a day’s time, we were home. Maybe you need a friend to read the map and help you find your way.”

Marika put her hand on his shoulder. “I understand. I will talk to her.”

Geir nodded and walked away.

Marika took a few steps and stumbled to the floor. The empty tankard rolled on the deck as Marika started laughing. Edda had been speaking with Captain Sarantuya about various things when they both heard the unceremonious fall. Edda rushed over to Marika, who was clearly drunk.

“Dear, are you ok?” Edda asked.

Marika looked up, feeling the full effect of the alcohol. “Not at all, Edda.”

“What’s wrong?” Edda sat down next to her.

Marika babbled away, “Me. I am the problem. I always think I am helping, but I just make things worse. Ever since Rybak …. You know, I used to be a lot of fun. I was happy. And I actually missed the ocean, Edda. How could I have blamed the sea or kept Pétur from it? What is wrong with me?”

“You are drunk,” Edda sarcastically answered.

Marika burst out into laughter. “See, you’re funny and happy and magical. I want to be more like you. Pétur loves spending time with you and not with me.”

Edda took Marika’s hand. “There is nothing wrong with you or being protective of your loved ones. It is not your fault. I suspected Rufa was different than his predecessor. The previous kaplan was weak and had less power. He could still control people but not in the way Rufa does. His reach is frightening even compared to my abilities.”

Marika looked squarely at Edda. “Why didn’t you ever tell me you had magic?”

Edda intently glared back. “Why didn’t you tell me that you lost your tolerance to alcohol? If I remember correctly, you used to outdrink my son.”

Marika thought for a moment and responded, “Fair point! We both have our secrets. I have an idea. Let’s get some more alcohol, and maybe you can help me figure out what we will do next.”

With that, Edda helped Marika to her feet. Edda picked up the fallen tankard and handed it back to Marika. They made their way downstairs, where Geir and his crewmate, Nissa, played a traditional Caeli dice game. They had their own drinks and plates of food. Edda and Marika joined them at the table. Within no time, everyone was as drunk as Marika, filled with delicious food, and laughing from the game. For the first time in a long time, Marika felt like herself again. They talked about everything and anything that crossed their minds. Marika learned more in one night than she had in years. The Caeli tradition of hospitality made Edda and Marika feel at home, bridging the significant divide between their peoples. They were like a makeshift family out on a sailing adventure for one night. Marika and Edda kept thinking how both Rybak and Pétur would have loved this night. This inescapable feeling of freedom and joy swelled in Marika’s heart. By the night’s end, she discovered the meaning of Geir’s story. Freedom was her moon, and joy was her stars. All she needed to do was follow them to her new home, where her son and his godfather would be waiting. After that, they could start their new life in Aeqor.

9