Chapter 16: Conversation With a Shark
139 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This work of fiction deals with the struggles and complexities of central LGBTQ+ characters with nonacceptance in family, community, and religion. There are non-sexual romantic themes and scenes with some of these characters. Some scenes portray fantasy violence and injury of fictional humanoid characters, pets, magical creatures, and monsters. This work is appropriate for teenage and adult audiences. Parents are strongly cautioned because some material may be inappropriate for children under thirteen due to violence and the abovementioned themes.

As morning’s light made its way across the shadowed water, Captain Sarantuya’s ship had arrived at its scheduled destination. Nissa, Geir, and Glum docked the boat while the captain went below deck to attend to her guests. Marika and Edda slowly rose from their stupor. They made their way to the table where Sarantuya had prepared their breakfast. They found fried biscuits with clotted cream and small portions of unknown meat. Sarantuya prepared salted black tea with milk to drink. She joined them at the table, sharing in the meal and discussion.

“How long has it been since you have been home?” inquired Sarantuya.

“Around twenty years now. I hope people still remember me,” Edda chuckled.

Sarantuya continued, “Will you stay here once your son arrives or travel elsewhere?”

Marika paused to think before responding. “I think it would be wise to stay here for a while. Pétur could learn more about his Aeqori heritage.”

Sarantuya’s face displayed confusion. “He didn’t learn from his father or you, Ekeka?”

Edda diplomatically responded, “Some things, but it was hard to teach him. The Monsans are a complicated people when it comes to the Aeqori culture.”

Marika sighed. “Edda, you don’t need to spare me the embarrassment. Sarantuya, It’s my fault. I prevented him from learning. I was afraid he would get hurt. In Monsa, they teach wrong things about the Aeqori and their way of life. I do not believe in those things anymore, and I really hope Pétur can forgive me.”

Sarantuya looked directly at Marika, expressionless. “Marika, you are straightforward and do not hide from the truth. This is how all Caeli are raised. I respect your courage and your willingness to grow. I am confident that your son will forgive you.”

Marika thanked Sarantuya as she wiped her eyes. “I respect you as well. In Monsa, women are not permitted to lead or learn skills such as sailing. Everything you have accomplished is inspiring to me.”

Edda took a sip of her tea. “You will need to get used to that, Marika. The world is much bigger than Monsa. The Cael balance power between the sexes, and the Aeqori are a matriarchal people. You are about to go from outcast to nobility.”

Sarantuya smirked. “She doesn’t know who you are yet, does she, Ekeka?”

Marika queried, “I haven’t heard that name since I was Pétur’s age. That’s your Aeqori name Edda, isn’t it?”

Edda replied, “It is. You will need to start using it to prevent confusion when talking to others.”

Marika realized she had missed something. “Wait. What does Sarantuya mean by who you are?”

Edda smiled and put food in her mouth, preventing her from answering.

Sarantuya laughed and then spoke, “Ekeka is famous in these parts, even among my people.”

“Oh, you must be exaggerating, Sarantuya. I am not that famous.” Edda continued to rush her meal.

Sarantuya looked in disappointment. “You should be more like your daughter-in-law. She would have just said it and been done with it. All this pretense is unnecessary. Marika, Ekeka is the leader of the Kítos family.”

Marika responded, “I know that. She is the matriarch of her family.”

“You do not understand me. This island belongs to the Kítos with Ekeka as its leader.” Sarantuya gulped down her tea.

“Wait a minute. The whole island?” Marika blurted out as she turned her head sideways to look at Edda.

Edda sighed. “Yes, dear.”

“So, when you said nobility, you were serious?” Marika said with incredulity.

“Yes and no. I am both the Great Matriarch of the Kítos and the Kahu of Koholā.” Edda took another bite of her food, remaining calm as possible.

“What does all that mean?” Marika exploded in shock.

“It means I am both the political and religious leader of the Kítos. Before you ask, it doesn’t always happen that way in other families. The only other one I know of is the Manō, but let’s not talk about that. It is too early for politics.” Edda finished her breakfast. She stood up and started walking away, clearly uncomfortable by the conversation.

“Edda, why in all of Krása would you leave your people to live in poverty on Monsa?” Marika demanded to know.

Edda turned around in frustration. She snapped, “Because Koholā asked me too! This is not the time nor place for this conversation. I was planning on telling her once we got settled. I do not appreciate your interference in this Sarantuya. You are as obstinate as that knife spirit of yours, sword maiden!” With that, Edda stormed upstairs.

“Sword Maiden?” Marika asked.

Sarantuya nodded. “I am a warrior that has mastered the sword and several other weapons. I teach young Caeli women to fight, including my princesses.”

Marika was amazed. “You must be the most amazing woman in the whole world.”

Sarantuya beamed. “I try to be, but there are many impressive and powerful women in the world. It is more than just me and Ekeka.”

“I am starting to see that now, but it is still difficult to imagine Edda ... Ekeka as famous.” Marika smiled.

“Do you know what she is most famous for?” Sarantuya cleverly asked.

Marika shook her head, eager to hear more.

“Her temper.” Sarantuya erupted into laughter, joined by Marika.

***

Several guards escorted everyone from the throne room to an ancient structure. Astra marveled as diverse and vibrant coral made up the building’s composition. Various seagrass and kelps fed hungry young marine life while marking the temple’s boundaries. The building stretched higher than the Monsan church’s entire height. The walls and ceiling contained natural nooks and crannies throughout, allowing fish to swim in and out. At the end of a great hall was an opening big enough to pass a small ship through. The entire experience was like stepping into a living work of art. Astra had never seen anything so awe-inspiring in her life. As they moved into the great hall, she could feel the intense magical energy everywhere around her.

“Impressive. Is it not?” Queen Elayna turned and smiled.

Astra nodded. “There is so much life here. I could have never imagined something so beautiful.”

Elayna spoke, “This is the Temple of the Sea. It is a holy place for all Aeqori. Although, you are the first Aeqori not of the Manō family to see it.”

“I am truly honored. Thank you for letting me see this,” Astra humbly responded.

“There is no need to be honored. It is open to all Aeqori, but only the Manō can breathe underwater.” Queen Elayna motioned for everyone to move closer toward the larger opening.

“As lovely as this is, why are we here? Shouldn’t I get back to Psarás,” Astra asked.

“Soon Astra. First, we need to understand what has happened to you. I understand the power of your grandmother’s pendant, but the yellow stone is a mystery to me,” explained Elayna.

“Ok. So how do we do that?” Astra asked.

“I am going to ask for Zale’s assistance. Now, everyone, this is important. Make no sound whatsoever while I am performing the calling spell. Once he arrives, try not to move around too much,” described the queen.

“Wait! He’s coming here in person? He’s a shark as big as a ship, right? Doesn’t he eat Monsans? I am half-Monsan ... and ... I had this recurring dream about a shark and the yellow stone and …” wildly panicked Astra.  

Amarus took Astra’s hand. “It will be ok. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Marcela took Astra’s other hand assertively and said, “We won’t let anything happen to you.”

Queen Elayna raised her hand to silence her children’s bickering. “He can be a little intimidating at first, but he will not harm anyone in this room. Let me do the talking, and do not speak directly to him unless he addresses you first.”

Astra calmed down and loosed her hands from her new friends’ grip. “Thanks, but I think I will be ok.”

Queen Elayna continued, “Now, in order to call him properly, I need to use the ancient language of Kami-go. It is the divine language of the Sinduel people and must be sung aloud.”

Amarus puzzled, “Who are the Sinduel people? I thought you were calling the sea spirit?”

Marcela sighed. “Didn’t you learn anything in school? The Sinduel are the race of spirits that coexist with the people of Krása.”

With a raised voice, Elayna reprimanded, “Enough! If you two cannot control yourselves, I will have you removed from the temple.”

In unison, Marcel and Amarus apologized.

Elayna turned around and faced the enormous opening, and broke into song. It was rhythmic and lyrical, but the words were foreign to everyone except Astra. “Strength of Sea, Lord of the Deep, your kahu calls. Mightiest of warriors and most gifted of artists, your kahu calls. Zale, first father of the Manō, your kahu calls.”

The room was silent for a moment as everyone waited for something miraculous to happen. The queen spotted something off in the distance, which looked like a small spectral light to the others. It appeared to grow as the translucent spirit moved closer to the temple’s largest opening. Shortly after a minute, the form was visible to all. It was a radiant great white shark almost the same size as Psarás’s boat. As it swam into the temple, it circled above everyone. Astra’s courage failed her, causing her to quickly grab her friends’ hands. The great shark descended in front of the queen, transforming into a man wearing a sharkskin on his back. Zale walked over to Queen Elayna, gently touching their foreheads and noses with her in the traditional Aeqori greeting.

“Elayna, you called?” Zale spoke softly.

“We have a bit of a mystery that required wiser eyes than mine. A Kítos boy was pulled into the depths by the kaplan that controls elements. He found a yellow stone saturated with energy at the bottom of the ocean southwest of Monsa. When he touched it, it merged with his own magic transforming him into a girl and granting him the ability to breathe under the water,” detailed Queen Elayna.

“Bring this Kítos child to me at once,” Zale demanded.

“Astra dear, come meet the father of the Manō family,” coaxed Elayna.

Astra nervously let go of her friends and inched towards the queen and Zale. Zale turned to face her and seemed starstruck. He stared at Astra as if she was a living wonder. She froze in place, focused only on his smile, which revealed sharklike teeth despite his human form.

“By all the spirits, what a beautiful convergence of magic you have, Astra,” Zale said gently.

Astra, shaken, whispered, “Thank you, sir.”

Zale walked up to Astra and took both of her hands. His black eyes gazed deep into her eyes for what seemed like an eternity. A few seconds passed, and he let go of her hands. Astra’s demeanor returned to the confidence she previously displayed. She looked back at him in silence and nodded. It appeared to the others they were communicating telepathically, but no one could hear their conversation. Zale touched foreheads with Astra and smiled, much to the shock of Queen Elayna. He pulled his sharkskin back on while jumping up. Within an instance, Zale had transformed back into his shark form. The great shark swam away as quickly and inexplicably as he had arrived. Everyone was now looking at Astra with confusion and a desire for understanding.

Queen Elayna stepped up to Astra and asked, “What did he show you?”

Astra smiled and said, “Everything.”

Marcela sarcastically interjected, “Well, that doesn’t tell us much.”

Astra looked back at Marcela. “I know, but there is no time to explain. Zale has given me an important task, and I will need everyone’s help.”

Amarus boldly stepped forward, “You have it. You just need to tell us how we can help you.”

Astra looked to Amarus, more focused than she ever had been before. “We need to get back to my godfather’s ship. They are all in danger, and we have a fight on our hands. Let’s go.”

Marcela and Amarus looked at Queen Elayna for permission. She paused before nodding in agreement. With that, the three friends took off for the surface. Astra had somehow gained the knowledge of swimming from her interaction with Zale. Marcela led the charge while Astra and Amarus swam side by side. Astra was slower than the others but still was able to keep up. As they moved further up, the Manō city below was cloaked by the sea’s natural shadows and darkness. Soon it was out of sight as the night sky drew ever nearer.

***

Psarás was alone in his cabin when he heard a knock at the door. Opening it, he saw Durak standing in the archway. He walked in as Psarás closed the door behind him. Despite being grief-stricken, Psarás still noticed the concern on Durak’s face.

Breaking into Viar, Durak asked, “How is your Viar these days?”

Psarás, confused, responded, “Good enough. Why are we speaking, Viar?”

Durak whispered, “I saw what happened to Pétur. Wayde is a liar and has strange powers.”

Psarás switched back to the common tongue, “Why didn’t you stop ….”

Durak shushed Psarás. “Listen. Wayde is a kaplan and has magic. He is too strong for us to fight directly.”

Psarás returned to speaking Viar, “Kaplans can’t have magic. They are Bianchi. The spirits do not bless them because they serve Vadim.”

Durak angrily insisted, “I know what I saw. He caused the sea to reach up and grab your grandson. We are all in danger.”

Psarás thought for a moment. “I have an idea. I will ask for the help of the Manō soldiers. Let’s stop off at the island before meeting with the princess. I have a friend there who can help contain his power. I need you to act normal and keep him busy.”

“You do not need to worry about me. My people are known for their stealth,” reassured Durak.

“Alright, get to your duties, and I will speak with the others,” Psarás directed.

Durak left the cabin and went downstairs to resume his duties where Wayde was resting from his supposed hangover.

Psarás made his way up to the top deck where the two guards were standing. He briefly explained the situation. He asked one of the guards to return to Princess Marcela and inform her of the danger. Psarás hoped that she would keep Pétur safe. The other guard would swim ahead and locate Edda on Manō island. Hopefully, between Edda and the princess, they could muster a force strong enough to overcome Kaplan Wayde.

8