31 – It takes support to hunt goblins
3.5k 14 127
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Welcome to the Adventurers guild. How may I… wait!? Yufine-san, Luvia-san?"

"Eeh!? What the hell? Clara? Is that really you?"

What the fuck kind of joke was this? After my meeting with the mysterious girl, me and Lu-chan decided to head to the Adventurers guild and check out what quests are available.

And… the clerk girl that greeted us was Clara. The same girl we met when we started out. Ok. How the hell does this work? I mean, in Phantasy Reverie Online they used the same NPC for every branch location, but shouldn't it be impossible in real life?

"Clara… how the hell did you end up here?"

"That is… umm… mostly your fault."

"My fault?"

"Because I was on duty and was in charge with you when you took on that dragon. Apparently that was a big feat so… they said they will promote me to a higher up branch. And the only one that was available…"

"Was here?"

"Yeah."

I don't think she likes it here. It's clear from her gloomy expression. I mean she was probably happy, but now being forced to move away… 

"Please don't go on any more dragon slaying quests. I don't want any more trouble!!"

She started waving her hands repeatedly in front of us. I feel sorry for her. 

"Okay… would you please calm down? Umm, Clara, we are looking for a quest but… how should I put this? Do you know what's the best way to gain fame? I don't like standing out too much, but our goal is to eventually gain access to The Dectus Library."

"Eeh!? Well… why don't you start off with regular quests like normal rank 1 adventures? Rather than stirring the waters, I think it's better to go one step at a time."

"Then how about something difficult enough to boost us straight to rank 2?"

"Umm… well… we do have something like that. Normally I would warn you that this isn't something 2 people should take on alone, but since it's you two…"

Clara left the counter for a minute and returned with a quest.

Quest type: Goblin extermination

Difficulty: C

Reward: 10 silver coins per goblin head

Time limit: as soon as possible

Details: more than 500 goblins have been spotted near the old temple ruins. They pose a great threat.

Do I look like Goblin Slayer? I mean one of my eyes is red-ish but this… aww screw it. Like I said I kinda feel sorry for Clara, so I might as well take it.

"Okay, Clara. We'll handle it."

"Yufi, there's one problem. We have no clue where the ruins are."(Luvia)

Clara tilted her head for a moment.

"If you have trouble moving around, you can always hire a supporter."

"Supporter?"

"Yes. Someone who doesn't necessarily specialize in combat. They will gladly carry your luggage, or guide you through secret paths or tell you valuable info. Getting around would be actually easier. In fact… the first friend I made here is a supporter looking for work. If you don't mind, shall I introduce you?'

"I don't see any harm in that."

Clara dashed like a rocket the moment I said that. Is her friend someone having a hard time finding work? Regardless, after roughly 10 minutes, I got my answer.

"Come on now. Don't be shy. These girls are a little weird but they're good people. Yufine-san, Luvia-san, come over here. This is Iris. 

Now, Iris, greet them properly."

".......

My name is…. Iris….

….. pleased to meet you….."

Silence for a few moments.

".... Clara…. Maybe this wasn't a good idea….."(Iris)

But after a while…

"Wow!! That's awesome!!"

"Eeeh!?"(Iris)

I started moving around and analyzing every inch of her, from head to toe. A beautiful girl. But not just any ordinary girl. If I were to label her by the game standards she is a demon, but not just any ordinary demon. An insectoid demon. A genuine praying mantis girl was standing before me.

She was shacking because of my reaction, but I started poking her arms, pinching her cheeks… she's soft and sturdy at the same time. Now that's what I call fantasy!! It's something you really expect to see in a game. 

Seeing it in real life is 10 times better. Lu-chan kept giggling at me, but I didn't care. Although my reaction might have been too straightforward, as the mantis girl Iris quickly jumped and hid behind Carla.

"Iris, it's ok. You really need a job badly. These girls are weird, but they won't harm you, right?"(Carla)

"Of course not. Why would I want to harm you?"

".... my race…."

I don't get it.

"You see, Yufine-san, although Aeonia has recently accepted people of the demon race, but due the great war started by the Demon King, many humans lost their loved ones. 

Although His Majesty himself has befriended some demons and allowed them in the great city, not everyone treats them like normal people.

Iris gets often bullied and has a hard time finding any type of work. What's worse, is that she can't retaliate that much. The guards will always favor the word of a human over someone like her. She is the first friend I made here. And I did my best to help her, but…"

"Because of the discrimination, there's not that much you can do, right?"(Luvia)

"Exactly. Not to mention people are paranoid because at the very north of this continent there was a demon fortress. Some people still believe in spies, but Iris is harmless. She lost her home and is a refugee. 

She doesn't have any other place to go to either. If there's anyone who can give her a fair chance, that's you girls."

"I got nothing against it. She's quite adorable."

"..... are you sure….. you're okay having me?"

"Yup. Since we don't know our way around here, if you have that knowledge it will, then you will be useful. So I don't mind having you aboard as long as you do your share of work."

Besides, I feel like I owe it to Clara. I feel guilty. I have nothing against pairing up with a demon. Lu-chan is one herself. Besides, how often do you get to hang out with such a unique individual? It doesn't even matter if she can fight or not as long as she can be our guide.

I extended my hand forward in a handshake manner.

"Once again, my name is Yufine, but feel free to call me Yufi."

She also extended her hand forward from behind Clara.

".... I'll be in your care then…. please treat me well….."

Alright, now let’s go kill some goblins. I feel like going on a rampage.

127