Chapter 2 : Reading a book
5.6k 15 203
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My personal maid named Leila stood near my bed elegantly and spoke in a gentle manner.

"I will be standing here to help you My Lady, so feel free to ask anything," She said respectfully.

She talks in such a formal way, it's slightly overwhelming. If I recall, the old Carine also didn't like how formal Leila was.

"Uhm... Sure."

Both of my bodies said that, but thankfully Feyt is alone at the moment, so no one heard it.

It would be awkward to talk like this. I'd be speaking to someone in one body, while the other body will say nonsense without context. My immediate goal is clear: learn to control my two bodies separately. I'll focus on that later though, for now, I want to learn about this world I reincarnated in.

I can recall from both of my memories that monsters do exist as well as magic. But, I never saw any of them, only mentions of it. Now I'm curious, I want to learn more, especially about magic.

"Leila, I want to read something, can I go to the library?"

Both Feyt and Carine said that, but it was meant only for Carine.

"Forgive me, My Lady, but your mother has instructed me not to let you leave your bed due to concerns about your health. Shall I fetch the books for you instead?"

"Uh... yeah. That would work."

"What book would you like, My Lady? Would you like 'Prince Alreid's Adventure' or perhaps 'Periplus of the Green Sea'?"

I remembered Carine reading those books before, and I can also distinctively remember Leila reading those books for me for bedtime stories.

"If you wish, I could also grab a few of my recommendations."

"Uh... no, I want something to learn."

"Something to learn?"

Leila tilted her head confusingly.

"Yes, like... umm... about magic?"

"I see... Then excuse me for a moment, My Lady, I shall grab a book most suited for that role."

Leila gave a bow and left the room.

A few minutes later, she came back with a large stack of books in one of her hands.

A few minutes later, she returned, carefully balancing a stack of books in one hand. How could she manage that? The stack looked like it held at least ten heavy tomes, piled one atop the other!

She dropped the tall stack of books to the drawer right beside me, she then split the book stack in half and put them side by side, probably in fear of it falling over.

"Here you go, My Lady, Initially, I had planned to select only one or two, but I thought My Lady might require more."

You call this 'a few'?!

I pushed the thoughts aside and thanked Leila.

"T-Thank you, Leila, I'll start reading now."

Leila stepped to the side as I picked up the topmost book from the left stack.

The book's title said 'About Magic'—what a creative title... That was sarcasm, by the way.

I opened the book and started reading.

Hmm, I see...

I nodded my head along as I flip through the pages of the book.

Wait, I don't know this language, so how can I read it? Well, I can hear and speak the language since I talked to Leila and my parents with no trouble, so reading counts too, huh? Anyway, I skimmed through the book and finished reading it in about 2 minutes.

Yes, that's right, 2 minutes.

How??!

That was around 300 pages! I read a full page in barely half a second and somehow managed to retain all the information I read! How much of a readaholic is this body?! 

I grabbed the next book, trying to forget about my overwhelming reading speed.

The next book is titled 'Advanced Magic', must be a book for kids.


Leila watched as Carine perused the books she had brought her. She was slightly surprised when Carine rejected the adventure novels in favor of learning about magic. Leila knew that Carine was interested in mastering her father's sword style and believed that magic would be a useful addition to her skills.

But, she knew that Carine couldn't use magic, as far as she's permitted to know at least. However, her lady had requested books on the subject, so she scoured the library for every book on magic and talents she could find. Leila knew that finding books about magic would be a challenge, as humans who could use magic were few and far between. Thankfully, the mansion's library had a few books pertaining to the topic.

Leila had been hesitant at first, thinking that a single book with basic information about magic would suffice. But she knew Lady Carine better than that, and she wouldn't satisfied with just one book. So, she brought all the books she could find on the subject.

Lady Carine finished the first book, one that scholars had taken weeks to comprehend, in mere minutes. Leila watched in amazement as her lady quickly moved on to the next book in the stack, "Advanced Magic."

Once again, Lady Carine had surpassed all expectations. She thought.


 

"Dear, Feyt is acting weird," said Teffa.

"Yeah, he's been pretending to read books for about 10 minutes now. He must have hit his head hard..." replied Fayn.

Unbeknownst to Feyt, whose body is mimicking Carine's, his worried parents were watching from the doorway.

 


 

Rewrite 3/47

203