Chapter 3 : Magic, Talents, and Dinner
5.2k 23 192
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
To avoid confusion, I decided on something:

Mom and Dad would be used for Feyt's parents, Teffa and Fayn.

Mother and Father would be used for Carine's parents, Peyna and Kyrat.

Hope you are enjoying the story so far!


 

After I finished reading through the books that my maid, Leila, brought me, I learned a lot of things, let's list them!

  1. Most humans can't use magic.
  2. Humans who can use magic are usually scouted into the royal guard, regardless of status.
  3. Most humans have "Talents".
  4. Monsters and Demi-Humans exist.
  5. Most monsters and Demi-Humans can use magic.
  6. Most monsters and Demi-Humans don't have "Talents".
  7. Alchemy exists as the Human Race's counter to magic.
  8. Alchemy can create a variety of tools, one of which is a scroll that can check for Talents and Magic.
  9. My terrifying reading speed might come from my "Talent".

Magic, it's exactly what you expect what magic is in a fantasy world. Only a few humans can actually use it though, and for those that can use magic, most can only cast basic spells like [Fireball]. Monsters and Demi-Humans also exists in this world, monsters like Kobolds, Goblins, Skeletons, etc. And also Demi-Humans like Elves, Beastman, Vampires, etc. They can use magic in far greater capacities than humans.

700 years ago, there was a vampire who attacked the Kingdom. The vampire was able to cast spells like [Inferno Wall] or [Great Extinction]. Both of which, caused damage so great, the effects of it's destruction can still be seen to this day. Well, according to the book anyway. The vampire was slain after a long fight by a group of knights who possess "Talents".

Talents, they're basically passive skills, or perhaps buffs. Rarely does a Monster or Demi-Humans have one, but almost all humans have at least 1 Talent. Talents consists of things like [Enhanced Hearing], [Spatial Awareness], [Enhanced Regeneration], etc. There also exist "Unique Talents", Talents that hasn't yet been recorded on any media and is rare to find. Unique Talents are essentially Talents possessed by only one individual, hence the name "Unique Talent". The knight's group leader that subdued the vampire 700 years ago is said to possess his own Unique Talent. While I was skimming through the book about talents, I managed to catch a glimpse of a particular Talent.

 

[Enhanced Sight]
A talent in which the Talent Bearer has an enhanced sense of sight. They would be able to react to things faster, see in complete darkness, process visual information faster, so on and so forth. Those who carry this Talent will never need glasses.

 

Considering my insane reading speed that defies human limits, it's safe to say this must be my Talent. So, I get to be a speed reader and have 20/20 vision on top of it. Can't complain about that.

I recall that my father, Kyrat Sareid, has [Enhanced Agility] and [Spatial Awareness]. Using both of his ability, he can literally defeat any enemy with his eyes closed. My mother, Peyna Sareid, has [Blood Drain] and [Enhanced Dexterity]. With that first ability, she can heal her wounds by using her enemy's blood, scary.

Every noble has their talent checked by the age of 10 using a scroll made by alchemy. But for some reason, both father and mother never told me my talents. I recall in Carine's memories.

~~~

"Father, Mother! What's my talent!? I wanna know~!"

Carine watched as her father and mother carefully examined the scroll after using it on her. Their expressions turned to worry, causing her to grow even more curious.

"Th- This is..."

"Oh dear."

Their hesitant reactions puzzled Carine and she couldn't contain her eagerness as she pressed for an answer.

"What's my talent? Tell me, tell me!"

"It's... nothing, dear, uhm..."

"What do you mean nothing?? Does that mean I don't have any talents?"

Carine was scared, those born without Talents are considered failures after all.

"No, it's not like that, but..."

Before her mother could finish, her father interrupted, his tone suddenly stern.

"Listen, Carine. We will reveal your talents when you turn 15 years old. Until then, we won't discuss it. It's for your own safety, understood?"

Even Carine knows that she shouldn't push further than this, despite her curiosity.

"...Okay... understood, Father."

~~~

So, I had to wait until I turned 15 years old to learn about my talents. That's still three years away. But why did they delay revealing my abilities? Was there something unusual or complicated about them?

Someone knocked at the door. I closed the book as I listened.

"My lady, dinner is ready."

Leila's voice said from behind the door.

Wait, when did she leave my room? Was I so absorbed in my reading that I didn't even notice her leaving? Wow, this body IS a readaholic.

Anyway, I need to head for dinner.

 

Wait a minute, if I walk as Carine, won't Feyt walk too? That's... a huge problem...

Now, how will I solve this...

As I was having a deep thought on how to move to the dining room. Leila opened the door and walked to my bed.

"Excuse me, my lady," she said politely, her hands reaching out to lift my body.

Hold on a minute, what is she doing?

Before I could even utter a single word of protest, Leila smoothly scooped me up and carried me on her back.

"What the...?"

"Your mother's orders, my lady," Leila explained matter-of-factly. "She thought you might still be feeling a bit dizzy, and she didn't want to risk you falling down the stairs. Just hang on tight, okay?"

"Uh... sure..."

Seriously, being carried like this? I mean, I used to be a grown man, you know? Well, 'used to' being the operative phrase. But still, this is pretty embarrassing!

I need to control my bodies separately, fast!!

 


 

I am currently sitting on my bed in a upright position with my back against the wall. In front of me is a small wooden table with a wooden spoon and a glass of water on top of it.

"Here you go Feyt! Careful, it's hot."

My mom, Teffa, places down a bowl of soup onto the table from her wooden tray.

Problem is, I am 'also' sitting in a large dining room. In front of me are steak, a cup of tea, and a tray full of silverware.

"Carine, what's wrong? Are you not hungry?" asked father.

 

""No, it's not like that.""

 

"What's not like what Feyt?" my mom said confused.

This is the problem I am dealing with right now, two different people, two different location, but I can only say the same exact thing. If the conversation continues, it'll be awkward at the least. I decided to just eat to avoid any further questioning. But how do I eat a soup and a steak at the same time?

I grabbed the knife and fork from the silverware tray.

"What're you doing Feyt? Stretching?"

While I was grabbing the silverware as Carine, Feyt's body was basically grabbing at nothing.

"uh... yes..." I whispered, hoping that only mom would be able to hear it

"That so? Well, come on! Eat up! I made your favorite!"

Mom enthusiastically clasped her hands together, waiting for me to take a bite.

I do recall that Feyt liked this soup, it has carrots, spinach, and an alluring scent of spices.

I grab the wooden spoon from the table while being careful not to drop the silverware I'm also holding as Carine. I then start to cut the steak using the knife and fork, bring it up to my face, and blow the heat away and then put it in my mouth.

"Hm? Is the steak hot Carine?"

Mother stared at me from across the dining table.

In actuality, I was blowing away the heat from the hot soup in front of Feyt. But mother stared at me (Carine) blowing at the steak for a while longer and then sighed in anger,

"Hah... I have specifically ordered the chef to cool it down for a bit, perhaps it's time to fir-"

"N-Now now Peyna! I'm sure he did cool it down! I'll talk with the chef later." Father tried calming mother down.

Perhaps it would be best to just steel my tongue through the heat of the soup than to blow on the steak...

My mom, who's watching me, seems confused as to why I was mimicking a cutting motion while scooping the soup with my spoon. But it's less intimidating than mother who is ready to fire someone over a slightly hot steak, even though it's not.

I continue this process until both steak and soup are done. I got a lot of confused look from both of my perspectives though. I really need to learn how to control my bodies separately.

Mom pulled the wooden table away from me (Feyt) and left the room

"Sleep well, okay Feyt?" she said before closing the door.

Leila carried me (Carine) to my room and laid me in bed as per mother's orders.

"Sleep well, my lady."

 


 

Now that we're alone again, I fell into thought.

It has only been a day since I got reincarnated here, are Luke and his girlfriend safe? Hopefully so, since I literally died for them. How about my previous work though? Will Luke be able to handle it? Wait, since I died, wouldn't that be enough for someone to sue the boss? He did neglect the safety of the building after all.

If that did happened, there's a high chance that our boss would be replaced with the secretary due to backlash, he's only a branch boss after all. That would mean, Luke would be the new branch boss! Lucky guy! I wanted that position! But, maybe it's for the best, Luke would be able to fix things better than me. Luke always has a big heart and quite a big brain, so I know he would make the right choices as a branch boss, maybe invest more onto hiring more employees, work safety, and stuff like that.

While I was thinking about my old world, I felt sleepy all of a sudden, and fell to sleep almost immediately.

Or rather, only Feyt fell asleep, most likely due to the calming warm soup.

I wonder if I will be able to dream as Feyt while being awake as Carine, that would be weird. I stretched my arms as Carine and tucked into my bed and closed my eyes, hoping for a sweet dream...

...

..

.

WAIT A SECOND!

I jerked up from my canopy bed.

I just moved Carine's body while Feyt is sleeping still... That might be the key on controlling both bodies separately!

I can't force one of my body to sleep whenever I want, sure. But, maybe it's about the concentration, if I loosen my focus on one body, maybe I would be able to control the other freely. Why didn't I think of that?! I need to try this immediately! Come on Feyt! Wake up! We need to try this!!

Oi! Wake up!

WAKE UUUUUPP!

...

Damn, I can't wake myself up, talk about a deep sleep. There's no choice but to do it tomorrow then. Can't wait!

 

 

I was so excited about the idea, to the point that I didn't manage to get much sleep as Carine.

192