Chapter 34 : He did what?!
2.1k 20 109
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Aaaah~"

I lean back in my comfortable chair. The villagers I drafted should have reached Ortensia by now. With this, my reputation with them is secured.

I lift my legs and slam them onto my desk. The sound of heavy rain outside the window mutes the thump.

Looking back at that meeting, I couldn't help but wonder why none of those fools had the foresight to do what I did - drafting the villagers and sending our soldiers to fight. It's clear to me that combat power is far more valuable than some measly discounts on wheat.

Thanks to it being my idea, I have free rein to draft the villagers. So I immediately sent my knights to do so. The faster I make a good impression on the Ortensian nobles, the better. Kyrat will still lead the battlefield, which is fine with me since I don't want to be near the battlefield, at all. All I need is recognition for being the one who provided Ortensia with extra soldiers, and that should be enough to cement my standing in their eyes.

But, I have a slight feeling that Kyrat might steal the thunder from me by overachieving in the war, thus, as payment for being a nuisance, I ordered my knights to 'draft' a specific person. Someone Kyrat likes quite dearly despite being a commoner, and so happens to be currently in a village near my territory, a little village boy named Feyt. Drafting him should make Kyrat's blood boil and make him unable to focus all his efforts onto war. I doubt he'll lose or let alone die in the battle, but it should be enough for him to mess up here and there, worsening his image to the Ortensian nobles.

To ensure my plan succeeds, I ordered one of my knights who is escorting the drafted villagers to deliver a letter to a high-ranking Ortensian noble named Ulricar. He is known to have deep ties with the knights and has a fascination with building various mansions for his own collection.

The letter states that if a certain kid is sent to the battlefield, I will send generous amounts of money--enough to commission at least three medium-sized mansions. Someone like Ulricar should be able to order the Ortensian knights around, and with that sum of money, he wouldn't refuse. Sure, it cost me quite a sum, but it will be worth it in the long term. My relationship with Ortensia starts today, and with that, my new luxurious and easy life is within reach.

Even if he somehow manages to rescue that boy, it would have to be in the middle of the battlefield. I could then use this as evidence in court to accuse Kyrat of 'neglecting his duties for personal gain'.

I grabbed my glass of wine from my desk and took a sip.

"Hah~"

The glass is emptied and I placed it back down gently into my beautifully carven wooden table.

"Now, I wait."

The war will happen soon, and it shouldn't last long too. A week at most, I believe.

After Ortensia wins the war with Denta, the relationship between Setus and Ortensia will deepen. And I will be the main benefactor of this relationship~

A knock on the door jolted me out of my thoughts.

"Hah... Who is it?"

"My Lord, if I may."

A male voice responded. Must be one of my knights.

"Speak, what is it?"

"We have visitors, My Lord."

So, Kyrat's here... This should be fun.

"Let them in."

I lowered my legs from the desk onto the carpeted floor.

Perhaps I can taunt him a little bit~ I'll first act like I don't know, and gradually reveal what I've done to Feyt to infuriate him. I can probably ask him to beg me to stop the carriage from entering Ortensia, but even if he groveled with tears, nothing will change.

If my predictions are correct, Feyt and the other villagers should be nearing Ortensia by now or may have already reached their destination. There's no turning back for them.

After a few seconds, I can hear loud footsteps coming from the stairs.

"That must be Kyrat."

I stood up, straighten my uniform and stood in front of my luxurious wooden office door.

"Time to have some fun."

 


Tinore stepped out of his office, only to find Kyrat drenched in rain walking towards him furiously, followed by a few of his knights who are also soaked to the bone. He plastered a fake smile on his face, preparing his act.

"Hey Kyrat, what a pleasant surprise," he greeted him, trying to hide his amusement at the pitiful sight of Kyrat drenched in rain.

But before Tinore could say anything else, Kyrat rushed with his [Enhanced Agility], grabbing Tinore by the collar in an instant.

Eh?-

Kyrat slammed Tinore into the door behind him. He winced in pain and surprise, not expecting Kyrat to resort to physical violence so quickly.

The knights employed by Tinore tries to stop Kyrat, but they were stopped by Kyrat's knights. They were knocked down to the floor and restrained.

"Stop the carriage! Now!!" Kyrat demanded, his eyes burning with anger.

"Carriage? I have n-no idea what you're talking about-"

Tinore tries to keep up his confident act, but Kyrat's grip on his collar is making him sweat bullets.

Kyrat headbutts Tinore's head, slamming it not only against his head, but also the wooden door behind him, causing a significant crack on the door.

"AAGH!" Tinore held his head in extreme pain. His plan to taunt Kyrat escaped his mind as his mind is filled with pain.

"That hurts you old bastard!"

"Don't act like a fool! Stop the carriage Feyt is in!!" said Kyrat while tightening his grip on Tinore's collars.

"G-Gaaghh! Let, me, GO!!"

Tinore tried fighting Kyrat's strength, but failed to budge a single finger.

"Are you deaf?! I'm telling you one more time. Stop. The. Carriage!!"

"I-I can't!" Tinore tried his best to answer, but is slowly being choked by Kyrat's grip.

"What do you mean you can't?!!"

Kyrat pulled Tinore closer while shouting louder.

"He's already- in Ortensia! Just, let me- go already!!"

"Do you know, what you've just DONE?!"

Kyrat pulls Tinore even closer with a tighter grip.

"S-Serves you- right! A-ahaha-" Tinore desperately tries to get the last laugh, but Kyrat grew even more furious after hearing this.

After a few seconds of trying to contain it, he gave up and raised his fist, Tinore widens his eyes.

"W-Wait!! Wait, wait, wai- ACK!!" Tinore cried out before his face was clobbered repeatedly.

"GAGH- W-WAIT! ACK- TUKH-"

Any attempts Tinore made in negotiating with Kyrat was cut off by his punches.

After a few seconds of non-stop punches to the face, Kyrat stopped and pulls his fist back, he swung forward into Tinore's face, punching him with enough momentum to send him flying into his office, bringing along with him his wooden office door. His head slammed into his desk, knocking him unconscious.

Tinore's knights could only watch with their mouths agape while being held down by Kyrat's knights.

Kyrat stood still as he looks as Tinore's knocked out body presenting his messed up face. He had been wanting to do this for a while, but Kyrat feels no satisfaction at the moment.

"Damn it!" Kyrat roared, slamming his fist into the nearby wall, tearing some parts of the wallpaper.

He seethed with anger at his lateness; not only had the carriage already departed, but it had also reached its destination. Basically ensuring that Feyt will be involved in the war no matter what.

I promised Fayn that I'll train Feyt so he'll be safe in the future. But now, he has to face the horrors of war... What kind of friend am I? What will Carine even think of me?

However, he won't give up.

There's only one way to fix this. I need some help.

Kyrat straightened his tie and looked straight at his knights who are still holding down Tinore's knights on the floor,

"We have no time to waste! Let's move!" Kyrat commanded.

"Yes, My Lord!" his knights responded in unison.

With that, Kyrat's knights released their grips from Tinore's knights and rushed to be by Kyrat's side as he stormed out of the mansion, leaving behind a broken door, confused knights, and an unconscious, beaten up Tinore.

They got on their horses and set off towards the castle.

 

After a few minutes of riding, the large, looming castle finally came into view. Even in the dead of night, the silhouette of the castle was clearly visible against the dark, cloudy sky. The rain pounded down relentlessly, drenching Kyrat and his knights to the bone.

As they arrived at the castle gate, the gatekeeper appeared surprised at their sudden appearance. He squinted through the rain, trying to make out the figures in the dim light.

"Who goes there?"

Kyrat and the knights got off from their horses and approached the gatekeeper in a hurry.

"Kyrat Sareid! I request an immediate audience with the King!"

The gatekeeper answered in surprise.

"Lord Sareid?! O-Of course! I'll inform the King at once!"

 


Kyrat gained an audience with the King, Prince Key, Munith and Rene. The King is slightly tired as he was getting ready for bed before Kyrat came. Prince Key and Rene also have slightly droopy eyes. Kyrat's knights along with other knights from the castle stand guard outside of the meeting room. Inside, Kyrat told everyone what Tinore has done. And immediately after he finishes his report, a sudden shout from one of the members in the group jolted everyone in the room awake.

"HE DID WHAT?!" Shouted Munith.

Everyone was shocked due to the sheer loudness of her shout. It was unlike her to shout so loud.

"M-Munith? Are you okay?" Key asked.

Munith seems to not pay attention to Key as she rests her head on both of her hands in distress on the table and started mumbling.

"Not him too... no no no, what have I done to deserve this... oh, he's going to hate me for this for sure, aaaagghh~~~"

Rene cleared her throat, grabbing the attention of the other three men in the room.

"E-Ehem... Feyt is... a dear friend to Princess Munith," said Rene.

"That's why she's distressed to hear this news, please understand her feeling."

Key nodded his head, understanding why Munith is acting that way now.

"I see... I understand. I can't believe this, drafting a child into war is simply intolerable."

The King furrowed his brows in anger as he faced Kyrat.

"...Forgive me, Kyrat. I have failed in protecting your student. I should have placed more supervisors for the drafting. Forgive me."

The King bowed his head, acknowledging his mistake in entrusting it all on Tinore.

"Your Majesty, I do not wish for your apology, as it is not your fault. The fault lies in Tinore alone." Kyrat replied with a slight raspiness in his voice.

The King raised his head about to insist on his apology, but see the confidence and anger in Kyrat's face. He cleared his throat and said,

"Very well, then I shall punish Tinore accordingly. But that is a matter for another time,"

The King looked towards Key and Rene, both of them stood up from their chairs. Munith is still mumbling in distress on the table.

"What can we do to save Feyt?" said the King.

The King pulled out a scroll from under the table and laid it out on the table. He pointed towards the shortest route to Ortensia.

"Feyt is already in Ortensia, our knights can reach there in a day at best with this weather. Feyt would have been sent to the frontlines by the time we get there, we would have no choice but to rescue him when the war starts."

The look of despair grims upon Kyrat's face. Is there really no way to rescue Feyt before the war even if he has the support from the King?

"Any suggestions?" asked the King towards everyone in the room.

"Maybe we can postpone the war by a day!" said Key enthusiastically.

"We should send a letter and-"

"No, that's impossible." Munith muttered.

"What?" Key was taken by surprise.

Munith raised her head, her eyes are visibly stern and somber.

"If we can't get there in time, what makes you think a letter will?"

Key started thinking and realized his error. "O-Oh..."

"Besides, even if the letter is received in time, Mother won't postpone the war for a single boy, attacking on the day before Denta could reach us is too much of an advantage to lose. Father probably will, but Mother won't be convinced." Munith shook her head as she talks.

"Then, what if we just tell them to bring Feyt back to Setus through the letter?" Key questioned.

"As I've said before, it won't reach them in time."

"...Then, what can we do?" asked Key.

"...Nothing."

...

Silence.

No one spoke up after what Munith said.

No one could think of an idea, not even Munith herself. While she was mumbling, she was simultaneously thinking of various scenarios where she can stop Feyt from participating the war. But none would work out. Even with the help of her Unique Talent, this is an impossible scenario to solve.

After a few seconds of deafening silence, Kyrat steeled his resolve and said to the King,

"Your Majesty, I request for you to station me in Ortensia immediately."

 

109