Chapter 42: The Library of Royals
2k 14 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Carine's room, I sit alone. The sky gradually transitioned into a soft shade of blue as the sun began to rise.

I needed to come up with a plan, something to ensure Feyt's safety during the war. My mind raced as I tried to think of a way out, a way to at least not get killed during the war.

Suddenly, it dawned on me - a strategy book! That could be just the thing I needed to get ahead of the game. But where would I find one? Father's library was my first thought, but I couldn't remember seeing anything related to war strategy in there. Besides, I already archived every book there in my head.

Well, it's time to head to the library!

I got up from my chair and headed outside my room.

The hallways are bustling with maids cleaning the windows. Through the window, I can see some of them have already started taking care of the garden. There was a heavy rainstorm last night, so the ground and flora around the garden are all glistening.

I made my way through the hallway, passing several busy maids cleaning. Descending the stairs, I headed to find Leila. I need her to accompany me on the way to the library.

After a few minutes of walking around looking for Leila, one of the maids cleaning the windows noticed me and approached me. She bowed her head in respect before greeting me.

"Good morning, Lady Carine. May I ask what you are looking for?"

"Good morning. Do you know where I can find Leila?"

"Miss Leila? She's in the kitchen, I believe."

"Thank you," I replied with a bow of my head as I headed towards the kitchen.

 

I made my way to the kitchen door and could hear two people talking inside. I recognized the voices of my mother and Leila.

"--it has to be that necklace then?" said mother with a worried tone.

"Yes, that is the most likely explanation," Leila replied.

I opened the door and see the two of them sitting across from each other. Both of them holding a cup of tea with a plate full of bread on the middle of the table.

"Good morning, Mother. Good morning, Leila," I greeted them as I entered the kitchen.

"Oh, Carine," mother acknowledged me with a glance.

"Good morning, my lady," Leila stood up from her seat and bowed towards me.

I entered the kitchen and closed the door behind me.

My mother continued to stare at her tea, as if deep in thought. After a few moments of silence, she spoke up in her usual cool and composed tone.

"Carine, have you heard the news about Feyt?" she asked, her eyes fixed on her teacup.

"Yes, Mother. I heard it from Leila."

Mother didn't say anything for a few more seconds, but the silence between us was awkward. Finally, she looked up at me.

"No need to worry about him," her voice still as measured as before. "Your Father will bring him home soon."

Well, I hope so.

"I understand, Mother."

Leila walked up to me and asked.

"Are you here for breakfast Lady Carine?"

"Actually, I want to go to the library."

"The library?" Mother looked at me with confusion in her eyes. "Why now?"

Oh right, I need a good excuse.

"Uh... I want to take my mind off things..."

My mother raised an eyebrow at my excuse, but didn't say anything. Instead, she turned to Leila. "Make sure to accompany her to the library and bring her back safely."

"Of course, my lady," Leila replied with a small bow.

"Thank you, Leila. I appreciate it."

"Before you go, why don't you have breakfast first?" My mother said, pushing a plate of warm bread towards me. "You didn't have anything yet, did you?"

I do feel a little bit hungry right now.

"Thank you, Mother. I'll have some."

 

As I took a bite of some bread, I looked up at Leila. We talked about the weather, how it was supposed to be sunny today, and about the new dishes the cook had made for breakfast. She always had a way of making the most mundane conversations enjoyable.

I glanced over at mother, who was seated across from me. She was staring intently at the necklace around my neck.

Is there something wrong with it?

"Is everything okay, Mother?" I asked.

"Hmm?" Her eyes jumped slightly, as if startled, before replying softly, "Yes, everything is fine, my dear."

But I knew my mother well enough to know that something was bothering her. She was always the quiet type, often lost in her own thoughts. But she had a way of showing her worry for me without saying a word. I caught her glancing at me every now and then, her eyes lingering on the necklace.

Yeah, there has to be something wrong with this necklace.

"I-Is my necklace bothering you, Mother? I can take it off if you wa--"

"N-No, that's alright. Keep it on." Mother said, flustered.

"Okay then..."

I decided to change the topic. I turned towards Leila.

"Leila, have you seen the new garden that was planted last week?"

She perked up slightly, eager to talk about something other than the weather.

"Yes, my lady. It's beautiful, and the roses are in full bloom."

We continued to chat about the garden, discussing the different flowers and plants that were growing there as we eat breakfast. Mother seemed to relax, her worry momentarily forgotten. It was moments like these, when we could forget about the world outside and just enjoy each other's company, that made me grateful for my family. But I still can't fully relax, my other self is in danger and I need to do all I can to save me.

As we finished breakfast, I stood up to leave the room. Mother spoke up after being silent throughout the whole breakfast.

"Take care, Carine," she said, her voice a little softer than before. "And make sure to come back before dark."

"I will, Mother. It won't be that long." I replied before turning to Leila. "Shall we go?"

Leila nodded, and we made our way out of the kitchen and started preparing to head out.

I took a quick bath, changed clothes, and then I'm all set.

Leila was already waiting for me in front of the mansion's doors when I was finished. As expected, two knights would be escorting us. But I had learned my lesson: escorts are important.

If the knights had been with me back when the village was being drafted, I might not have been kidnapped by those men. Probably.

I pushed those thoughts aside for now. Mistakes are made to be learned from, but for now, I needed to do my best to avoid death.

 

Leila and I made our way to the library, flanked by the two knights. As we walked through the bustling city, I couldn't help but marvel at how lively it was. It seemed almost unaffected by the drafting of the villagers, which was no surprise given that this was the central city. The only ones who were drafted were villagers from small villages, far away from here.

The streets were filled with vendors selling their wares, children playing games, and people going about their daily business. I could hear the sound of musicians playing in the distance, and the smell of freshly baked bread wafted through the air.

Had I not been involved in the war, I'll probably have fun in the city, eating and relaxing. But even then, I doubt I'll be able to ignore the war completely.

As we approached the library, the knights opened the doors for us, allowing us to enter first. The library was quiet, I don't think I can see a single person here besides the librarian guarding the counter.

One of the knight spoke, "We will both stand guard outside, will that be alright?"

"Yes, that should be sufficient." Leila responded.

"Very well," said one of the knights as he closed the doors.

After that, Leila turned towards me.

"Lady Carine, what book would you like to read? I can help you search for them."

I take her up on her offer, since having her search for the books will definitely be faster than me alone.

"Well, I would like some books about war strategies."

"--Huh?"

 

Leila gathered around 15 books related to my request. However, some of them are in languages I can't read. Why did Leila gather them if I can't read them anyway?

Eh, I'll leave them for later.

I selected a few books that caught my eye and settled into a comfortable chair, ready to read. Leila went to the librarian to ask if there are any facilities to make tea. The librarian said she can brew some for them as she stood up from her counter. Leila offered to help and left with her towards the back of the library, so I was left alone in the quiet and calmness of the library.

The book I started with was titled "The Art of Battles", and it was written by a renowned general from a kingdom far away from ours. I skimmed through the pages, soaking up as much knowledge as I could. The book was full of diagrams and illustrations, showing the formations and maneuvers used in various battles.

Yeah... I don't think I can use those.

Still, I kept the knowledge in the back of my head, it's not like I can just delete them. I moved on to the next book titled "To Move Pawns". But after skimming through it, I realized it's just a book about commanding an army like the previous one. Will all the books be like this? Feyt's literally the furthest thing away from a Commander right now, this isn't going to help.

Perhaps, I chose the wrong genre of books? I might need to change my target.

Ah, no, I should still read these. I can probably observe the formations of the enemies and potentially know how to escape to the safest location if things get hectic. Emphasis on 'probably'.

I closed the book and continue reading the other books Leila picked out for me.

After a few minutes of reading, I heard the library door being opened. Through the cracks, I see a blonde haired man wearing a modest yet expensive suit. When the door opens fully, I see two knights escorting him. The blonde-haired man entered alone, his knights stood outside as they closed the door.

The man approached my table and spoke up.

"Good morning. May I ask, are those two knights outside yours?" He speaks in an uptight yet gentle manner.

"Y-Yes, they are." I answered reluctantly.

This guy, I think I saw him somewhere before. From a painting, I think.

Oh, now I remember his name. He's the Third Prince of Setus, Prince Julient.

He seems to be staring at me, as if he's observing me. Or is he waiting for me to do something?

Uhh... Do I need to bow down or something??

Just then, Leila and the librarian returned. The librarian was holding a tray with a teapot and cups. When she saw the man standing in front of my table, she widened her eyes in shock.

"Prince Julient?!" she exclaimed.

The librarian dropped her tray, but Leila reacted quickly and caught it with speed, spider-man style.

Ignoring that impressive stunt aside, I turned my attention to the Prince in front of me.

So, this is the second time I met royalty in this specific library. Talk about getting two nickels, huh?

 

81