Chapter Three: The Threat of Recycling
10.5k 16 312
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We left the auspicious, seemingly important building and emerged into a green wonderland that was a courtyard. There was a fancy pergola next to a rectangular pond, and it seemed this bountiful slice of nature connected to four different buildings. The one we came from was probably the church? It was mostly empty, and it didn’t have any pews or altars, so I could have been wrong about that. We bypassed the fish-filled pond and entered the building across from where we were summoned. The iron doors vanished when Meruria touched them with her hand. Upon stepping in, I was instantly sick to my stomach. 

“Are... Are those...children?” I heard Quella whisper, her voice cracking. 

“No, my dear. These infernal creatures are called goblins, and they’ve been terrorizing a few of our farming villages,” Meruria answered. She had brought us to some sort of prison, or maybe it was an execution chamber. Sinister candles occupied the blood-stained walls, casting light on crimson that had been dried for days or weeks. The roars of the chained ‘monsters’ cried out, sending fear through my heart. I gathered the courage to count them up, and my heart nearly stopped. 

The number of goblins matched the number of warriors summoned by Meruria. She told us we had to learn how to kill since that was instrumental to defending her country. At her command, over half of us scattered to a chained goblin after picking up a weapon located on a rack nearby. The ones remaining, including me, faltered in their steps. 

Can I really kill something like that? I feel...uneasy... 

Meruria again insulted me for my uselessness and hesitation, then turned to the other reluctant students and gently encouraged them with words of love and affection. Even the 1 and 2-Stars were softly spoken to. She guided them along as if she was tending to a flock of lost sheep. I was conveniently left behind. Greggie and Quella looked back, staring at me with worry. With reluctance, I took uneasy steps forward, each one reducing the distance between me and a snarling monster as I held a wooden club in shaky hands.  

Before long, I was standing just a few feet away. Thick veins bulged from its green head. Viciously sharp claws wanted to end my life. It was hard to avert my eyes from something that hated me so much, but I felt like there was a compulsion to stare at Meruria. She was standing right beside Quella. Ms. Mary was after her, and then it went Greggie, Keeth, and Will. The aristocrats were at the far end, the opposite of where I was. 

[Lesser Goblin – Lv. 1] 

The name and level of the beast appeared along with a green bar. Presumably, it would have a blue bar if it knew magic.  

Meruria spoke again. “Monsters are the only beings you can access this information on. Focusing on a person does nothing unless you have [Scan]. Even then, the skill is incredibly rare. There is a tool called a Scan Stone, which is more common, that can analyze your Status Menu. It produces a document that proves you are who you say you are. By putting this document into a Scan Stone, you can either verify your information or update it if you have grown more powerful. If you happen to acquire some social standing, like becoming a Duke or a Baron and acquiring the appropriate title, then this document would act as your proof.” 

After taking a breath, Meruria spoke one last time. “Finally, raise your weapons and strike at the foe you see before you. As I’ve said before, do not think of these foul creatures as innocents! Goblins feast upon males while forcibly shooting their festering seed inside any female they find. This is how they reproduce and increase their number, so strike them down! Cover the floor with their disgusting blood!!!” Meruria shouted. Her voice had changed to something deep and sinister. If Dark Lords could be good in this world, it only made sense that a Holy Lord could be evil. 

Half students of our class easily took to killing the helpless monster in front of them. Tokko hefted a massive blade he’d chosen from the rack and slammed it down, cleaving the child-sized, green-skinned goblin in two and instantly draining the green bar in one fell swoop. Mia took her bow and nocked an arrow, pulling the string back. A second later, her target had no head. Elly looked down at a small dagger she held in quivering hands. She cried with tears in her eyes, but nonetheless, her hands jerked forward, cutting the goblin across its green neck. Eventually, it stopped screaming, dying a painful death. 

Ami was next to her, and she had her hands up in a fighting stance after finding a pair of gloves on the weapon rack. She punched the unfortunate beast in the head as a soft, glowing aura radiated from her body, but it didn’t reflect her mental state. Elly was right there to comfort her weeping cousin as they hugged it out. 

Lori and Ann were like trained killers in how efficiently they dispatched their target. The former spun the spear around her body to gain speed, then destroyed the beast’s head with a swift stab between the eyes. Ann took a similar approach. She held the handle of her sword with both hands, raised it up, then brought it down at an angle. Even if the blade was wooden, it had no trouble cleaving all the way through. What was even scarier was the blank expressions on their bloody faces. Even Tokko slightly groaned, but that was a response to getting blood on his cheek. 

The twins, though... They just turned to each other, using their hands to wipe away the crimson splashed on their clothes. 

They didn’t even mess with the blood staining their faces.  

They… They just went for it... Even though... Even though we’re killing them… I… Do I have to…kill?  

“Sister, it seems our mission is complete,” said Ann.  

“Indeed, sister. Let us leave this place and train. I would very much like to test this new strength against you,” replied Lori. They made for the door, and Meruria told them where they could find the training facilities with a giant smile on her face. 

As I gripped my club, I stared at Quella. Her red hair shivered from side to side in pure anxiousness, following her shaking body. She didn’t want to become a killer, but she wasn’t alone. Ms. Mary, Greggie, and Keeth were hesitating at crossing that line.  

Will, though... 

He held a cleaver in his hands, and once he started to chop at the immobile goblin as if it was a block of meat, he didn’t stop. Will kept attacking and attacking, giving the corpse a posthumous execution after he chopped its head clean off to join the arms and legs. Why? Why did he look so accepting of it? He wiped his brow while staring at the torso as if he was proud of his work.  

Ghastly vomit poured from my lips as Meruria evaluated her warriors. She had compliments for the aristocrats and disdain for Quella since she was faltering. According to our summoner, Quella was given an innate ability to cast her magic by simply speaking the name of the spell. She didn’t have to worry about chanting in the language of mana, and there should have been a list of available spells in her skill menu under [Fire Magic]. “Just target the goblin, hold up a hand, and speak ‘fireball’,” Meruria said before turning her attention away.  

Quella cried out, a tearful voice filling the room as she raised her hands towards her foe. “[Fireball]!!!” she screamed. Red energy materialized in front of her, starting small but growing until it was the size of a basketball. It launched towards the crying monster, reducing it to nothing but ash after swallowing it in a blaze of crimson. The hesitant girl fell to her knees, weeping into her slender hands while vomit slithered out from her nostrils. She wailed a series of deep emotions as apologies endlessly flowed. 

Greggie and Keeth silently wept while they stole the life of their foes with an axe and hammer, respectively. I know they tried to make it quick and painless, but their inexperience betrayed them. The cuts and strikes were shallow and limp, producing pain that wasn’t needed. Ms. Mary finally killed hers after taking her knife and hesitantly pushing it into the goblin’s heart.  

Meruria stomped her way over to me since my goblin was the last one standing. She was a Holy Lord, but that title had to be a lie. This woman was a horrible person with a soul stained with sin and hatred. If it was up to me, I’d never want to be on her side… But what choice did I have? I was in a new world, and it was filled with unknowns and mysteries. 

“Are you useless? Or are you going to sit there and do nothing?” she asked. My hazel eyes narrowed, and my shaking arm raised my club. I don’t know what it was carved out of, but it was thick, sturdy, and felt durable. Even if the goblin wasn’t human, a strong enough blow to the head should kill it. Even a beginner like me could do it... 

The green-skinned goblin, naked from the waist up, stared at me, whimpering and growling because it was scared and angry. Slowly, my arm felt as heavy as lead. Was this the weight of a life? I focused on my desperate foe. It was a level 1 goblin, and that was it. That was all I knew of it.  

I wasn’t even sure if it had a name... 

“DO IT!!! KILL THE GOBLIN!!!” Meruria screamed into my ear. I raised my voice to its limit for the first time as I slammed my club down, deforming the goblin’s skull as a sickening thud invaded my ears. A sharp wave of force traveled through my arm and ended at my shoulder, sending a small shock of pain as I dropped my weapon. When I picked it up, the snarling goblin pulled its head back and slammed it forward, breaking my nose and causing a few teeth to fall out. I landed on my ass and cried out, arms trembling as the taste of iron collected on my tongue. I watched my foe break its arm against its restraints while I scrambled to my feet and snatched my bloody weapon. 

My HP had dropped by about 8%. If that became empty… I’d die… 

Again, I raised my club and slammed it down, repeating until the foe had no more breath to give. Not that it could breathe because its head was almost as flat as a pancake. Bits of its skull and pink brain leaked out through its ears while words appeared in my activity log. 

You’ve reached Lv. 2! You’ve gained 0 SP!  

Meruria was telling the truth... I really can’t grow stronger... 

Meruria placed a tired hand on her head and pointed to the corpse. “It took you too long to do that. And you panicked. And now you're injured when the goblin couldn’t even move. Great... Don’t think of these things as people. They’re the enemy. When you see a monster, you kill the monster. Slaughter their lives for experience and use that to grow stronger. Of course, the things I’m saying do not apply to you because you drew the short straw. That is why I will give you a choice. Do you wish to do something with your life? Do you wish to accomplish something only you can do?” 

I felt her words were purposely laid with bait to tempt me like the ancient sirens who led sailors to death with their sweet songs. I wiped the blood from my chin and tried to talk, but no voice came out. 

“I am giving you a chance to atone for your sin of having a 0-Star soul. There is a skill I know that can recycle the energy I used to summon you,” she said. Even in this death-filled chamber, her voice was laden with malice thick enough it could choke a demon.  

I couldn’t find the strength to speak, so Quella jumped in. She held back her emotions long enough to ask the Holy Lord to clarify her words. Greggie, Keeth, and Will came over, curious to hear what Meruria had to say. The former two were still visibly shaking, but not the latter.  

Meruria then explained that she could recycle the Holy Mana used to summon me to bring in a replacement stronger than me. It required the sacrifice of my body and mind—my flesh and soul—to the winds of infinite void. “If you want to blame anyone, blame yourself,” Meruria said. Everyone had their attention turned to us by now. 

“Recycling?!” Quella exclaimed, speaking for me. She swallowed her fear and hesitation, forcibly pushing aside the trauma for the time being. I knew she was hurting something fierce inside, though. 

“That is correct. I have no use for the weak. Should I sacrifice you to the void, I shall have my investment returned to me. “ 

“Is there no other option?!” Keeth asked. He spoke without any pauses, but the quivering expression in his eyes suggested he was about to run out of whatever bravery he had left. I didn’t blame him. No one normal could kill a living thing that looked so much like them and remain unaffected. 

“There isn’t.” Meruria raised her hands as a golden staff materialized into existence with a soft glow. She held it tightly and pointed it right at me. “You have the dishonor of being the weakest Soul Warrior I have ever seen, but I will prepare a suitable grave as one that has made the ultimate sacrifice. Keep that in mind, and it will make your death painless. I—” 

“WAIT!!!!!” Quella shouted. She ran in front of me with her arms held wide. “Give us a chance! Give us a week—no! Three days! In three days, I’ll argue for his survival!” 

Mia exploded into laughter, nearly crying from how hysterical she found this situation. “You’re telling me I can finally get rid of that pathetic stain of a failure? Fine. Then I’ll argue for his recycling. Lord Meruria, is it too much to ask that you preside over this trial?” 

Meruria glared at my soul, piercing me with her yellow eyes as a hungry grin frightened me more than my parents’ abuse ever did. “Very well. I shall accept it. Ah, but here is something you should know. The star level of your soul reflects the desire you had in your world. That is why it was startling to see a pair of 6-Stars since they have not been observed for thousands of years. Hmm... Yes, one more thing. Soul Evolution and Soul Devolution are possible, if extraordinarily rare. If the 0-Star can become a 1-Star within these three days, then I shall personally apologize for my behavior and grant my warriors the most lavish feast. If you would have it, I’ll warm your bed during our first winter together. However...” Meruria held her staff towards Quella. “I will overlook this transgression if you are successful. If you aren’t, prepared to be punished.” 

“That’s fine!” Quella said, reaching out an arm to push the staff away. Suddenly, Keeth, Greggie, and Will approached and put a hand on my back. 

I always hated being touched, but...just the sensation of their hands on my fragile back felt so comforting.  

The next voice to speak up belonged to an idol with blue hair. She looked to her cousin, nodded, and walked over to stand next to me. Even while their eyes were red and raw from crying, they came to my defense. “We wanna help Shuuta! None of us actually deserve to die, right? It doesn’t make sense to kill him. We all have things we aren’t good at. Like, I can’t cook to save my life, but you don’t wanna recycle me, right?” Elly said. Ami’s smile was so bright and cheerful it hurt to look at. 

Ms. Mary was the last to voice her concerns. “Class 2-F is my responsibility! Holy Lord Meruria, please let me look after him!” 

I... I never had anyone come to my defense... Even as I was being beaten for being a failure, being abandoned, or if my parents were angry and wanted something to abuse, it was only just me. 

Me. 

Me. 

Me. 

Me. The laughingstock of the Fenton family.  

That was why... It hurt so much to have people who wanted me to survive... I didn’t want to die, but why did it pain me when others felt the same way...? 

Even when I knew that I wasn’t deserving of anyone’s pity... 

I... I felt weird... 

I believed I was about to say something, but my body just couldn’t handle it. The hard, cold, bloody ground approached at a fast rate, and the world went completely black. 


Meruria watched her weakest warrior fall unconscious with a grimace of embarrassment. She just could not believe there would be someone so pathetic in the same group that held a pair of mythical 6-Stars. She rubbed her head and wondered if she was making a mistake by granting a grace period of three days, then realized that she would come out on top no matter what happened. 

If Shuuta managed to achieve Soul Evolution, he would be the first to do so in a few hundred years. If he failed, then she was guaranteed someone significantly stronger. “Pick him up,” Meruria said, talking to Greggie. The large lad gritted his teeth at his summoner who called his close friend useless, but nonetheless followed her instructions and lifted Shuuta. Greggie was surprised by just how light he was. He was afraid that if he used just a little bit of muscle he would snap in half like a twig.  

Meruria channeled a teleportation spell through her staff as a magic circle inscribed the ground underneath them. When it glowed yellow, those still alive inside the hellish chamber of death were warped to her church, which was just a few short minutes away. Only instead of arriving together, her Soul Warriors materialized in front of their assigned rooms, and she had to go from group to group to hand out keys and instructions, which didn’t take long at all. 

“Take the rest of the day to relax and get prepared. Dinner and a change of clothes will be brought to your rooms. Tomorrow marks the first day out of three. Quella, don’t waste any time. Soul Evolution is rare, though I assure you it is possible,” Meruria said when she appeared in front of the group she designated as Team Quella. She passed out their keys and warped away to take care of some business, but not before groaning in annoyance at how warmly the weakest warrior was being treated by his much stronger allies.  

Quella watched as her summoner vanished, then went to join the others in Shuuta’s room, walking right in as Greggie laid his friend down onto the bed big enough to sleep seven. If they were privy to his history, they would have been shocked to realize that the bed was twice as large as his room at home. The walls were a slight gray with an intricate stencil etched into them. The closest was bigger than it had any right to be, and when they checked out the bathroom, the tub was in the ground like a pool. Beside that was a wall of soap and different scented candles and oils to relax the body.  

Quella talked to her friends as they sat at a nearby table. The topic of conversation was obviously Soul Evolution, and after some debate, they hypothesized that strengthening Shuuta’s desire was the key. After all, it only made sense for that to be the answer if the power of his desire was the factor that determined his initial soul level. Thus, with that in mind, Quella, Ms. Mary, Elly, Ami, Greggie, Keeth, and Will put their minds together and fabricated what they believed to be the best and most optimal training schedule. It was strenuous, leaving very little time for even the smallest casual conversation. When Will suggested they go around and do a little introduction, he was met with resistance from Quella, who stated that they should have that as the goal. And that was something they all agreed on. When someone had something waiting for them at the end of a dreadful path, it could give that person a little bit more motivation to work harder towards their task. 

When a knock came at the door, Quella opened it to see a short-statured man with a thick beard. He was pushing a cart with a plate of food that looked like steak and potatoes and a box with Shuuta’s name on it.  

He reminds me of a Dwarf from those fiction books I like to read. 

He pointed down the hallway, where there were more carts in front of more doors, meaning it was time to eat and change clothes. Quella rolled the cart in, informed her friends of dinner, and they all left with promises to return soon after. And they did about an hour later, but Shuuta’s food was still untouched, and he hadn’t moved a single bit.  Dejected, Quella and Ms. Mary moved to the balcony after sliding the glass doors. It was a beautiful view, for sure, since it was angled away from Cridia’s capital city, so they stared at a picturesque slice of nature. The sun had started to set, so the crimson glow of the sky added emotion to a powerful scene. It was audience to an uncomfortable conversation about what they would do if they failed and Shuuta had to be sacrificed.  

When night arrived, Quella and the others left, locking the door and sliding the key under it. Just seconds later, Meruria materialized in the middle of the room while calling out his name. When he didn’t respond, she walked over, the clacking of her heeled shoes making an awful lot of noise on the marble flooring, but it wasn’t enough to rouse him from his slumber. 

Upon huffing with a sigh, she held both hands together and summoned a symbol of her power and status as a Holy Lord. Though it looked so benign, being nothing more than a simple makeup kit, it was the greatest weapon a woman like Meruria could ask for.  

After she used it, she leaned back and began to act.  

“Arise, my warrior. Your summoner requires your assistance,” Meruria commanded, stepping back and storing her Lord Armament within her essence. Right away, Shuuta slumbered awake with no light within his eyes. He got out of bed, walked to Meruria, and kneeled at her feet. She demanded to know why his desire in the world he came from was so low. If something substantial had happened to him, then surpassing that trauma and overcoming was the key to evolving his soul. 

“I command you to divulge the contents of your soul to me. Compared to your sister, it is nothing more than a flame about to be extinguished by the calmest of winds.” 

And so, Shuuta began to speak about his past, starting from his earliest memories. However, his words did not flow as freely as Meruria wished. At a certain point, he stopped speaking, refusing even as Meruria reached the soft limit of her weapon. Going even a bit farther would literally shatter what made Shuuta himself, causing Meruria to grow annoyed and anxious. 

She teleported away and returned about fifteen minutes later after learning the truth from Mia, the mastermind behind the despicable horrors her brother was forced to endure. No, that wasn’t the truth. His parents were also to blame, but now that Meruria knew Shuuta’s past, she quickly put a plan into action. 

312