Chapter 294: Walking Fortress
1.4k 20 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Douglas rushed through the dark stone corridor with Mudcloaks clinging to both of his legs for dear life while another hung from his back like a cape. However, unlike a cape, its claws dug deeply into his suit, and it made terrified whimpers in his ear.

"Guys, can you get off me?" Douglas pleaded, "I know the mountain is trembling, but your 'protection' is unnecessary."

"We will die for the king!" "Protect the king!" "Scary mountain!"

Douglas let out a sigh at the little menaces' chants. It didn't even make sense. The Mudcloaks would only get in the way if something could kill him. They were getting in the way right now as he headed down an emergency corridor he had built a while ago that led straight to the illusion grove where Elaine should be cultivating.

I have no idea what is happening, but please be safe, Elaine. Douglas had never felt Ashlock unleash this amount of Qi, so clearly, something terrible had happened. The Qi is actually flowing downward toward the east through the mountain. Perhaps a battle is happening?

Whatever happened must be above him as he was yet to be informed. Douglas knew Ashlock could speak to anyone he wished at any time with telepathy, so he must not be deemed worthwhile enough to know.

The corridor suddenly shook even more as the roots growing along the walls flashed with power, and pieces of rock rained down on him, pummeling his back. The Mudcloaks cried out as the two clinging to his legs were smacked off by stray debris, but Douglas kept going despite their protests.

Up ahead, at the end of the corridor, he could see a wooden door inlaid with a runic formation. Reaching it and inserting some earth Qi, the door unlocked, and he pushed it open. Emerging into the moonlight, Douglas clambered out of the leaf-covered hole and glanced around. He was on the side of the mountain path that connected Red Vine Peak and the White Stone Peak. Many small paths winding through the trees led off either side of the mountain path to the groves, and in the distance, he could see some Redclaws fleeing back to the White Stone Palace.

"Douglas?!"

He spun around at the familiar voice and saw Elaine running toward him.

"Hey—oof." He stumbled back a step as she threw herself into his open arms and nestled her head into his shoulder. Douglas was bewildered for a moment. His arms slowly closed around her, embracing her in a hug, and he patted her head.

"Elaine?"

The blob of light pink hair replied with a hum before she tilted her head up to look at him, and they locked eyes for a moment. She looked a little shaken, and her glasses had been pushed off center. "S-Sorry about that," she lightly stepped back, and Douglas released her from his embrace. "I'm so glad to see you, Douglas. I was worried something terrible might have happened to you when I was thrown out of my cultivation, and the mountain was ablaze with Ashlock's wrath."

"Nothing happened to me, I am fine." Douglas was relieved to see she was also fine, but he could see the deep concern on her face, "Are you alright?"

"I'm good, but..." Elaine looked over his shoulder, and he followed her gaze. The night sky was illuminated by a column of lilac soul fire that seemed to reach for the heavens. A vortex seemed to surge up Ashlock's trunk before merging with his vast canopy, where every leaf burned bright with power. It was a breathtaking display that made Douglas's soul tremble from inadequacy.

So that is what the peak of power looks like. It feels like if Ashlock directed even a fraction of that wrath toward me, I would spit blood as I died a pathetic death. His own inadequacy aside, something serious must have happened to cause the usually lowkey Ashlock to go all out.

"Do you know what happened?" He asked Elaine.

Elaine lightly shook her head, "No, I was hoping you would."

Let's think, what could have happened? All I can think of is that Stella and Diana left for the Tainted Cloud Sect to hunt down that Albis Lunarshade person.

Douglas suddenly had a dangerous thought, and the blood drained from his face. Turning to Elaine, he almost choked on his words, "Y-You don't think something happened to Stella, do you?"

Elaine's eyes widened, "Oh no, that's the worst-case scenario. If Stella got hurt or even died, I fear Ashlock would destroy everything in rage."

Douglas wholeheartedly agreed with that assessment. Ashlock was relaxing to be around and likely the most reasonable spirit tree in the realm when he was in a good mood. But at the end of the day, he was still an incredibly powerful demonic tree with a hunger for flesh and blood and an inescapable reach.

If Stella really did die, I wouldn't be surprised if he slaughtered everyone.

Douglas glanced down one of the side paths, and through the gap in the trees, he got a clear view down the side of the mountain of Darklight City in the distance. Not only was the entire forest between him and the city ablaze with soul flames but so were the trees within the city.

A terrible feeling brewed in his gut, and he clenched his fist. Ashlock was usually so careful, constantly restricting the flow of information and keeping his existence a secret from the wider world. Few things could shake that foundation, and Stella's death was undoubtedly one of them. Would this be the end of the sect as he knew it—

"Yo!" A blonde girl wreathed in spatial flames materialized before him, causing his heart to almost leap out of his chest. Stella patted his shoulder with a shit-eating grin on her face, "Just the man I was looking for. Are you ready for war?!"

"War? With who? Huh?" Douglas's mind blanked. "You're fine?"

Stella tilted her head, "Why wouldn't I be? Are you okay? I hope puffing away on all those spirit stones hasn't turned your brain to mush."

"I only have to do that because of unfair workloads," Douglas scoffed as his shock and relief at Stella's appearance quickly turned to annoyance.

"Stella, we thought something bad happened to you," Elaine said as she appeared beside Douglas and glanced between them. "Glad to see you are fine."

"Why would something have happened to me?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's because the mountain range is trembling, the cities are bathed in soul flames, and Ashlock is pumping enough Qi into the land to turn this place into a spiritual spring?" Douglas listed off with a slightly irritated tone. To think he had been so worried for this ditz of a person. How could she be so clueless about the world around her?

Stella lowered her arm from his shoulder and looked around. Her mouth made an 'o' as she realized what was happening. Eventually, she looked back at Douglas and shrugged, "Ash is just overreacting. Don't worry your rock-filled head about it."

"Something did happen then?" Douglas narrowed his eyes. Ignoring the insult.

Stella avoided his gaze and pouted, "I might have almost died because of my recklessness, so I suppose this is partially my fault. But that—" she pointed at Ashlock, illuminating the sky, "—is an overreaction."

So she did almost die. Douglas grimaced at the thought. Wait, did she just admit to being reckless?

"Right..." Douglas rubbed his temples, feeling a headache from the shock of such a revelation. "What was this about a war, then?"

Stella brightened up, "Oh yeah! Ash went to war against the Lunarshade family, who hurt me."

"As one would." Douglas nodded as if that made any sense at all. Who started a war with a powerful, well-known family like that over someone getting hurt? If Stella had died, it would have been more understandable, but for someone who supposedly almost died, she seemed fine and dandy to him. There wasn't even a scratch on her body.

Stella dug for something in her pocket and pulled free a pendant. "We also seem to have made an enemy of the Golden Dragon Alchemy Guild, as we are now also at war with the bounty hunters of the Eternal Pursuit Pavilion."

"What?" Douglas raised a brow. The Lunarshade family was one thing, but how were an alchemy guild and the pavilion also involved? What the hell had happened in the span of one evening?

Perhaps sensing his confusion, Stella handed him the pendant, and he read the mission's details on the back. Elaine leaned on him and read the pendant over his shoulder. She hummed with disapproval the whole time, and he could feel her warm breath on his neck. Now that they were so close, he could also smell the floral scent of the Dreamweaver Orchids.

We only shared a bed once, and progress has been slow since then because we have both been so busy. They were definitely closer than just friends, but neither had tried to take their relationship to the next level yet. Maybe I should ask her out on a date soon... wait now isn't the time for this.

His peaceful thoughts of dating and going about his usual routine were now secondary to a war he wanted nothing to do with. The Tainted Cloud Sect was so far away that it might as well be another continent or realm for him.

"So let me get this straight. We are now at war with the Lunarshade family, an alchemy guild, and bounty hunters are after us now?" Douglas clicked his tongue, handing back the pendant while trying his best not to shout in her face and call them both idiots. What in the fucking lowest realm of hell happened to remaining low-key? "How did you even anger them? How many pills did you sell to force their hand like this?"

Stella blinked in confusion, "Sell pills? We haven't sold any yet. They are still awaiting approval."

Douglas felt the anger leave his body as he let out a controlled breath. How could he stay mad at such an absurd situation? That would just be a wasted effort and give him grey hairs.

"I see, so what are we doing about all this?"

"A slaughter, of course!" Stella said with a childlike happiness that was hard to describe. It was as if she had been restrained or told no by a parent for so long and was finally given the go-ahead to run loose.

Douglas looked to the ground and scratched the back of his neck. This wasn't how he had expected his night to go, and this was all a lot to take in.

Stella stepped closer and looked up at him with intelligent eyes clouded by a haze of insanity. "You don't seem thrilled," she narrowed her eyes as if studying him, "We don't have to hide in the shadows anymore, so don't you think it's about time we went to war. Why are you not overjoyed?"

"Should I be?" Douglas shot back, "What is war good for anyway? We have plenty of land, access to the Mystic Realm, and pills to sell for money. Ashlock has also made efforts to create groves for various affinities so everyone can live and cultivate here in peace. What could the Ashfallen Sect possibly gain from a war that it doesn't already have?"

Stella stepped closer—no longer smiling. "You may not see it, but the Ashfallen Sect is built on a mountain of corpses. You speak of the exploits of Tree and the lovely life you have here in the sect but ignore how it came to fruition." Stella's eyes flickered between Douglas and Elaine, and her voice dropped to a harsh whisper. "With every corpse, Tree grows stronger, and fewer people in this world will dare to stand against him. So, we fight today for a better tomorrow. I've done that my entire life alongside Tree and will continue to do so."

Douglas could see the absolute resolve in her eyes. Just what kind of life could foster such fierce loyalty to another in a person?

I had feared what Ashlock would do if Stella were to die, but maybe I should be as concerned about what Stella would do if Ashlock perished. Douglas felt a shiver run down his spine. It's as if their fates are tied, as they will live and die for one another.

Douglas realized his fleeting thoughts about a date with Elaine paled in comparison. This wasn't a pointless war. He had merely joined the sect during a period of relative peace and enjoyed the fruits of Ashlock and Stella's past efforts. Now, it was his turn to wield his sword for the hand that fed him.

If not for them, I would be toiling away in the shadows of Darklight City, forever slaving away to pay my crushing debt. Yet they took me in, paid my debts, and made me stronger than I ever thought possible.

"Don't fight, guys—" Elaine began, but Douglas gently cut her off by raising his hand.

"No, I was wrong." Douglas gave Stella a bow, "I would be honored to slaughter all who stand against the Ashfallen Sect. It's the least I can do to repay yours and Ashlock's kindness and make the sect stronger and safer for all of us."

Stella searched his eyes as if looking for a hint of lies. Finding none, her scary expression faded, and a light smile took its place. "I knew you were a good guy," she put her hand out for a handshake, "Anyone willing to put their life on the line to empower Tree is someone worthy of my respect."

Douglas felt a warm acceptance as he grasped Stella's far smaller hand and lightly shook it. "Thank you."

"I have other people to inform," Stella looked between them, "I wish the both of you good luck." She then shot Douglas one last smile and nod before she vanished in a pop of air and a small burst of spatial Qi.

Douglas let his hand fall to his side and stared at where Stella had been. With a sigh, he looked up at the endless sea of stars. It had been a stressful few minutes. Had Stella always been that intense? He paused on that thought as the memory of her dangling him head first through a portal for fun flashed through his mind. Nevermind.

"If you're going, then I'm going too," Elaine said as she slid her hand into his and leaned against him.

"Are you sure?" Douglas didn't deny her. He was just concerned. "You haven't formed your Star Core yet, have you?"

Elaine shook her head a little. "No, and neither have you," she clenched his hand, "But I can't let you and the others fight while I sit around here worried. I have Void Step to escape if anything goes wrong. I will be fine. You will need my help for anything involving strategy."

"Okay, let's go together..." Douglas began walking toward the burning tree dominating the sky but then realized, "How do we get there exactly?"

A familiar presence suddenly bloomed in his mind, followed by a thundering chorus of overlapped voices that threatened to tear his mind apart. "Douglas, what the hell have the Mudcloaks done to Geb?"

"What?" Douglas was surprised by the sudden question as a portal tore into existence before him.

"Come take a look."

Douglas exchanged a confused glance with Elaine before he stepped through with Elaine in hand.

"King!" A Mudcloak wearing a strange uniform of black and red cloth gave him an enthusiastic salute.

Douglas absentmindedly returned the salute as he looked around. They were in a command room with a large table in the middle with a constantly changing realistic model of the surroundings. The mountain range was complete with a forest of stone trees and a replica of the White Stone Peak. Even little stone people were walking around, but the most impressive was the giant stone tree glowing with power atop Red Vine Peak: Ashlock, the demonic tree that lorded over it all.

"This looks similar to the Bastion," Elaine muttered at his side and pointed at a smaller table to the side, "Look, they even have a Mudcloak managing a shield and another controlling a cannon."

"Cannons..." Douglas furrowed his brows. "Did Geb always have cannons?"

"No," Ashlock replied in his mind, making him wince, "Nor did he have a fortress city built on his back."

"Huh?" Douglas walked toward the giant runic-enforced window that dominated the command room, and the many Mudcloaks, all dressed in the same uniform, wobbled aside to let him pass unimpeded.

Gazing out of the window, he realized he was high above a city of mud and stone nestled among the forest of red bark trees ending in golden brown leaves growing from the mountain-looking shell on Geb's back.

"What is all this—" Douglas turned, and the words died in his throat as he saw all the Mudcloaks on one knee and looking toward him with their glowing blue eyes. One wasn't on a knee, and it spoke to him clearer than the others.

"Kingdom for the King!"

The stone crown on his head suddenly felt heavier than usual as every other Mudcloak echoed the chant.

"Kingdom for the King!"

"Kingdom for the King!"

"Kingdom for the King!"

The Mudcloak strode toward him as majestically as a Mudcloak could, holding up a ring with its stubby little arms. Douglas took the offering and slid it on with some confusion. The stone ring that could have been a bracelet for the Mudcloak barely fit his finger.

The Mudcloaks cheered and did happy dances once he put the ring on.

"What is this ring for?" Douglas asked with concern. Had they scammed him or something.

"Key for the Kingdom!" The smarter one of the lot informed him, "Control everything!"

Douglas went back to looking out the window. Holding the ring up, the moonlight illuminated it. Much like his crude stone crown, it wasn't awe-inspiring. This is going to be so embarrassing if it doesn't work, Douglas raised his finger and pointed.

"Move," he said intently, almost falling forward as Geb lurched forward with a massive step. It worked?!

Elaine came to stand beside him while balancing herself on a nearby table. "It looks like your subjects have built something impressive for you. I never knew they were so capable."

"Bah! The queen insults us!" One of the Mudcloaks shouted, and the rest went into an uproar. "We Mudcloaks very smart!"

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that." Elaine desperately left his side to try and calm them down.

"You can control it?" Ashlock asked in his mind.

Douglas nodded, "I can."

"Good, then proceed through the portal. The cult of the All-seeing Eye will join you. Your mission is simple: Kill them all, and don't you dare die on me."

Douglas cracked a grin, "Understood."

Reality was torn apart as an immense rift formed right before Geb. Through it, Douglas could see what he assumed was the mountain of the Eternal Pursuit Pavilion, judging by how a swarm of cultivators emerged from it on swords wreathed in a myriad of soul flame colors and heading toward the portal's location.

"Shields up," Douglas commanded, and he felt the Qi surge through the colossal 5th-stage Star Core beast as a murky brown shield manifested over the city. "Walk forward."

Geb trudged toward the portal, and Douglas grinned as he saw streaks of crimson flames soar overhead through the portal. If he counted the number correctly, all the Redclaw Elders were also heading to battle.

"This is going to be a shitshow," Douglas grinned as he stood at the center of it all, "Might as well arrive in style."

Shit's about to go DOWN! It's one of the most hype arcs coming up, and I'm super excited to share it with you guys.

Read 20+ more chapters on Patreon!

image

81