Arc I – Chapter XIII – Blinded
714 14 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Radiant Lodestar Aurora Cover

 

Arc 1 - Chapter 13 - Blinded

 

 

Hoshino was experiencing a physical crisis in a chamber buried deep under Stellaris, Nick was cautiously peeling one of Nichols’ eyelids, steeling himself for what he expected to find.

 

He gazed at his friend’s revealed semi-glazed eyes, the eyes of a totally normal unconscious human being. He blinked in surprise at not finding what he thought he saw earlier. Exhaling in relief, he turned away as he leaned against Nichols’ clinic bed and thought about things. He saw again in his mind’s eye the streak of silver hair billowing behind the second angel as she fell from the sky.

 

What the fuck is going on here? Angels descending to Earth? I’m not religious or anything, but is this some kind of a weird rapture? Is Earth about to go to Hell?

 

Shaking his head in denial, Oye fished his phone from his pocket and watched again his recorded footage. What should I do with this? Put it up on WeTube? Headbook? Or should I hide what’s happening? Or… maybe this isn’t an isolated thing?

 

After having realized that this might not be a local crisis… and certainly it would not be if this was some kind of a ‘rapture’ or an ‘apocalypse,’ Oye switched apps to his browser. He searched for recent news worldwide about angels descending and monster attacks. Surprisingly, he found nothing whatsoever. There wasn’t a single article yet in existence covering what happened just now at his school, Astoria Academy.

 

Nick frowned. Should he raise an alarm since no one else seemed to be aware of what was going on? People could seriously get hurt if he sat on what he knew too long without taking some kind of an action. Should he go to the news, himself? He wasn’t so sure that that would be a good idea.

 

Maybe whatever this was would just go away. If that happened and he started telling people all about it, it’d just strand him, in terms of his reputation. He’d most likely be labeled ‘that’ crazy guy that ranted about angels descending from the skies at his school. He’d be the same as any crazy doomsayer that proclaimed the end of the world was nigh. The tabloid bloggers and other writers online would eat what he had to say like candy and put it all over the internet, but that would quickly be dismissed as fake news by anyone with common sense. His chances of becoming a professional athlete would probably go to Hell before the world if he talked.

 

Muttering as he ran a sweaty hand through his hair, Oye switched to his address book, calling Ken. Everything else considered, he was worried for his friend’s wellbeing and even worried that Jared managed to get himself in trouble in his absence. If only he could hear Ken’s voice, it would help to lessen the sensation of pressure that he felt building up in his guts. Maybe Ken would have some insight about what to do. Normally cool-headed, Nick was hesitating.

 

The phone rang several times before clicking over to a recorded message. Instead of getting Kenneth’s voicemail, he heard something unexpected.

 

“Our apologies, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service.”

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

 

Blinking, Kenneth woke, finding himself lying on a patch of thick grass. The fragrance of vegetation and flowers filled his nostrils. Sitting up, he groaned softly.

 

“Take it easy Aurora,” Perkons said. “Lie down. We’re in the middle of conducting some tests on your body.”

 

“Hmmmm?” Ken blinked, rubbing at his eyes. He had a hard time getting them to properly work. While he was capable of smelling and his sense of scent was stronger than typical, his eyes were filmy and his head filled with cobwebs.

 

“Lay back,” Perkons instructed him in a more firm tone. Wincing, Ken nodded and let himself fall back into the pillowy grass, still rubbing at his eyes.

 

“What’s going on?” Ken asked. “What’s wrong with my eyes?”

 

“Nothing.” Perkons frowned. “The problem here is that your eyes are like a newborn’s… in a manner of speaking. Or worse. They’ll focus soon enough. After reverting from your Lodestaran form, you became fully human again, but your transformation rebuilt your eyes among other things, in a manner of speaking.”

 

“M… my eyes?” Ken asked, confused, “Why am I blind?”

 

“It’s temporary, Aurora.” Perkons said. “I hope that I don’t need to remind you that you were completely remade by the light itself.”

 

“... Are…” Ken mumbled, trying to understand what that even meant. “... You’re telling me that light itself is some enormous, all-encompassing conscious entity or something like that?” Ken struggled to wrap his brain around the whole strange concept. Light was everywhere, but it was ephemeral and had no solid form unless you considered… he frowned and puzzled over what light itself really was supposed to be.

 

“No.” Perkons said seriously. “Nothing like that. At least we don’t believe that light itself has any sort of consciousness of its own… The Felicitas are the chosen of the light. We are the Archontes of Light, which means that we’re the keepers of our whole universe.”

 

“... and you were chosen by some unconscious force you believe so much in?” Ken laughed dryly. “... Okay then… tell me what Lodestars even are?”

 

“-- Hmm … Simply put, Aurora, the Lodestaran are our knights and servants,” Perkons said simply with immense dignity. “You are soldiers, as I have already explained.”

 

“Servants?!” Ken laughed. “If you’re so powerful, why don’t you take care of these monsters yourself? You claim to be gods, right?”

 

“...” Perkons didn’t say anything, so Ken continued to blink his eyes and as he did, the seemingly impenetrable darkness that clouded his eyes slowly started to change in hue, or rather luminosity.

 

“Aurora, you’ve been recreated to fight on our behalf like all Lodestaran. You fight for us, since our forms aren’t built for combat like yours.”

 

“Couldn’t you rebuild yourselves with light the same way?” Ken asked, smirking. He thought about giant muscle bound colorful critters smashing the monsters. The very thought made him chuckle.

 

“... We could, but that wouldn’t serve any point when Lodestaran are eminently equipped for the job like you. We serve and direct matters as gods must, nudging things, aiding our children when necessary. Have you any other questions?”

 

“... Erm… The light changed more than my eyes, I guess?” Ken muttered and rubbed at his eyes again.

 

“Don’t rub them like that. You’re just slowing the process.”

 

“... Fine.” Ken grumbled. “But tell me… what else exactly… has changed?”

 

“Hmm… Well, that’s something you should see for yourself.”

 

With an annoyed sigh, Ken closed his mouth and waited patiently for his eyesight to return so he could see himself since Perkons wasn’t willing to tell him. He didn’t feel too different from before or how he usually did.

 

Radiant Lodestar Aurora - Scenebreak

 

Please check out Assurbanipal II's work. I also want to mention MajorKerina, who has been writing much longer than myself.

Great news! I think the threat of seizure has passed this week since, since the website reflects the payment and all is well. After two phone calls to the office, things are looking promising!

The downside: just as soon as I was going to get my car fixed up so I would reclaim some of my independence, the skies open and start dumping snow and more is expected. Sucks. With this weather, I won't be able to leave the house and getting my car's bumper cover and splash shields under the front can't be replaced.

I just hope my sister's friend shows up to help once the snow melts again. I might be able to do the work myself (though I haven't done anything like it before)... if I bought the appropriate tools... and assuming the service that I pay for to charge my battery and give me a little bit of gas sometimes in times of emergency actually did its job... '^^

Things are still pretty dicey. But, at least I was able to hire a car to go into town again to get my heart medicine and got home.

Can't wait until I get my car running again so I don't have to pay exorbitant prices for the support.

31