New Beginnings
5k 42 89
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m not?” I would’ve thought that she’d be the last person to say something like that. As in, no matter the evidence, she’d still deny it. Speaking of evidence, when she get to that conclusion? “When did you figure that out?”

“I’ve known since you healed my scars.” Since then? But that was a couple of days ago, why didn’t she tell me then? After that point, I’d leave just as was agreed upon. And why would she want to keep me around if I’m not the reincarnation that she thought I was? Isn’t she after one thing, and one thing only?

“But, what makes me different from him? What about my magic makes us different?”

“He had dark magic.” Dark magic? I guess if you wanted magic that was the opposite from mine, it sounds like dark would be it. That explains why she was so sad to see when that magic manifested from my hands. However, that doesn’t explain why she had me try to improve my magic.

“I see…” In terms of proving my lack of relation to her old master. It seems that the element that is attached to us is connected to the soul, the spirit of the person. “I’m sorry.”

“No, you don’t have to apologize.” She backs away from me, getting off from the bed. “I was the one who lied.” Actually, now that I think about it, why did she lie? I thought that she was looking for him, or his reincarnation at least. I don’t fit that bill anymore, so why keep me around? More importantly, why continue to care for me like this?

Considering whatever she’s been doing recently, it takes me out of the rut I found myself in there earlier. With what little strength I have, I get back to sitting to match her level.

“Why?” That’s the only question I have for her. It feels like we’ve been wasting our time with that reincarnation business, if it turned out to be false.

“Because I wanted you to stay, but I knew that you’d leave after you found out.” She turned her face away from me, too ashamed of the truth. “Alan, I like you a lot too. It’s different than with master, but I really like you.”

“You do?” I was worried about her just seeing him in me, but that hasn’t been the case for the past couple of days. No, she’s been treating me with me in mind, even with all this bedside care or the magic teaching. That’s all been because of how she see me now.

“It’s okay if you hate me for it.” That’s a crazy statement I hear from her, I’m not really that mad, and I certainly don’t hate her. For some reason, I’m more relieved than anything. “And I’ll send you back, as soon as I can.”

Right, just as we promised. That’s what I’ve been asking for this whole time… So why am I doubting it now? Isn’t that what I want? Or, is there something else I’m getting here that’s making me want to stay?

“Saffron…” I say to her, as more tears stream down her face. “I don’t hate you.” She shakes her head at me, as if she doesn’t believe me. Despite all her efforts of getting me to like her, she has a low opinion on what I feel. “If anything, you should hate me.”

“Hate you?” She grabs my hand, holding it close to her heart. “How could I possibly feel that way?”

“Why? Because, I don’t deserve all this.” That’s right, I’m the idiot whose been rejecting her every step of the way. For what? Because I didn’t get some chance to be a hero to some world I hardly know? That I’m some guy who was looking to be important in some grand scheme, even pinning that hope on being some reincarnation. I was selfish, greedy, when all she showed me was kindness and genorosity.

I had something with her, and yet I couldn’t be satisfied with that. Guess that makes me the worst type of person…

“But, that’s not everything that you are.” After I told her all that, I thought she’d get mad at me. Maybe a part of me wanted her to hate me for it, as if I deserved some punishment for it. “It doesn’t have to be who you are.”

It doesn’t? Wait, she’s right, it doesn’t have to be that way. I can still change, after all, it’s not like anyone’s gotten hurt yet. There’s still time to turn back.

“Then, maybe we can give it a second try?” I ask her, now I think I’ve made my decision.

“You want to stay?!” She asks, a mix of excitement and fear are in her voice. She’s hopeful, but at the same time, there’s an attempt to try and not get her hopes up. I nod my head gently with a smile, confirming it. She’s overjoyed, as she jumps on top of me in an embrace.

It looks like I’ve made a major decision, I hope I’ve made the right choice. The tighter she hugs me, the more I’m thinking that’s the case here.

“Now move a little.” She pushes me a bit, then lifts up the bed sheets. Kind of sudden to want to cuddle with me, doesn’t she think? “You’re in my bed, so I don’t have to ask for permission.” She says it like she asked the first time. We’re talking about the same girl that sneaked up on me naked and taking a bath.

“Of course.” Though this time, I’m more than happy to accept her. Saffron’s cute, tiny body presses up against mine. I feel like this is that type of attempt a girl would do if they wanted a guy to see how big their breasts were, but this girl doesn’t really have anything there to press up onto me. Mind you, I’m not complaining here.

“Are you comfy?” She’s still making sure I’m all right, but honestly I feel a little bit of energy returning to my body. Maybe it’s because I don’t have that weight on my mind anymore, because it’s nice to be with her, in this moment.

“Only if you are.” I tell her, which does more than enough to satisfy. Shortly after that, she closes her eyes and falls asleep. It seems that she got up really early just to make all that food for me. Food that we didn’t eat, but I guess it’ll make for some good lunch.

I’m surprised she can sleep like this, seeing as she’s wearing her usual clothes instead of the nightgown. It doesn’t seem to matter, seeing how soundly she’s sleeping, with only the light catlike purs that she seems to have as snores.

After all the sleep I got last night, I’m not really that tired myself. So I’ll just enjoy this moment. Funny, I was so caught up in grandeur, that I never realized just how something so simple like this, could fill me with so much joy.

For the first time since I got here, I give Saffron an embrace of my own. We’re so close, that I can feel the rhythm of our heart beats. They tick on and on, as my eyes grow heavy.

I guess I was more tired than I thought, as it doesn’t take long for me drift off to the land of dreams.

 

Is there any content line people wouldn't want me to cross? Other than NTR, since I've seen how much people dislike that.

89