Arc IX Chapter 13
3.7k 73 105
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IX


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc IX Chapter 13


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“Father.“ Masashige entered.

 

“You were eavesdropping, weren't you?“Masanari had returned to his work, but his thoughts lingered on the girl. Her words still occupied his mind.

 

Masashige nodded.

 

“Not exactly the best display of good manners. I doubt your presence escaped her, but I suspect she didn't mind considering her intentions.“ Masanari laughed.

 

“Father, what shall we do? Can we truly trust her?“

 

Masanari folded his hands. “ ... That's the question. What's your opinion?“

 

“We must conclude our information is limited. We know little about her. We can't judge her yet, but her intentions appear genuine so far. The same applies to her offer.

 

The girl clearly needs our support and our power. Not only that, Asami also considers Pain her enemy, or at least a competitor. I doubt her betrayal is a ruse to deceive us. The girl allows us to take revenge on Pain.“ His son reported.

 

Masanari fell silent. He listened. “It seems we both agree.“

 

“So you trust her, father?“

 

“To a reasonable degree, yes. I see no reason to suspect her. She was a guest of our house, and she spoke the truth.“

 

“Are we going to support her?“

 

“It's too early to tell, but we should consider her offer, or at least, not outright disregard her. Her offer is certainly tempting. She promises us status, power, vindication.  

 

I saw the determination in her eyes, Masashige, her unwavering conviction. The girl is far from ordinary. The way she acts. The way she speaks. The way she commands attention. It all comes too naturally to her.“

 

“Father ...“

 

“She said times are changing. She might be right. Not that we have much of a choice in this matter. We must observe her. I fear others are far less reluctant to join her cause.“


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


In the meanwhile, a certain little girl enjoyed her first day at the academy, or tried to do so.

 

It was break time, and Yuki enjoyed her precious bento bought by her precious nee-san with love. It tasted simply divine.

 

Yuki's cheeks blushed deep red like a cherry at summer. Nee-san's love gave even the lowliest, blandest rice a special flavour. Her presence alone brightened up her day.

 

Her first day at the academy proved unsuccessful so far. Yuki didn't achieve any of her objectives.

 

She tried her best to acquire what people commonly defined as “friends“, which was easier said than done.

 

Nee-san shared some tips with her, but they proved of little use. Nee-san's intentions might be pure, but her advice was counterproductive.

 

Nee-san said there are true friends, and there are false friends. In times of prosperity, friends are plentiful, and in times of adversity rare.

 

Nee-san also said, trust is good, control is better. Friends must be controlled. They are like interests, temporary.

 

Analyse them, collect information about them, determine their strengths and weaknesses, investigate their past, then befriend them.

 

And nee-san said hugs are an effective way to befriend people, to manipulate people's hearts.

 

Yuki didn't know what to make of nee-san's advice. In fact, her advice confused her.

 

Yuki always wished for friends when she was younger. The life in a castle was lonely. Yuki experienced little contact with other humans aside from her servants, her maids,  her guards. They all were not real friends.

 

Yuki had read many books about friends and friendship, and none of them said what nee-san said. Was nee-san wrong? Or were the books wrong? Yuki wasn't sure ...

 

“Hey, what are you doing here?“ A boy slammed his fist on her table, surprising her.

 

Yuki inspected the unknown boy. He was one of her classmates. Sadly, she forgot his name. A group of boys accompanied him, most likely his henchmen. They followed their leader.  

 

The boy clicked his tongue, hissing. “Are you listening? I am talking with you?“

 

Yuki clenched her mental fists. This must be one these infamous bullies nee-san told her about. Nee-san warned her about the cruel nature of prepubescent children.

 

They were selfish, uncivilised, barbarian brutes. Little evil creatures to be purged from the face of the earth. Except for her, she was cute and cuddly, unlike them.

 

That was what nee-san said, and nee-san would never lie to her, albeit Yuki had sometimes her doubts. But nee-san must have her reasons.

 

The evil children would try to intimidate her to compensate for their intellectual inferiority. They couldn't match her elegance and eloquence, so the enemy would resort to violence and force.

 

Yuki mustered her courage. She must stay strong. She must assert dominance over the feeble minded, but how?

 

Yuki despaired. She neither possessed nee-san's mental fortitude, nor her courage. Yuki was still a shy and gentle girl deep inside her.

 

The boy grew annoyed. His lips twisted. His anger was apparent. “Hey, girlie, how often do I need to repeat myself? What are you doing here, in our village?

 

Who gives you the right to breathe the same air as us? Who gives you the right to stay in our village? Who do you think you are to attend our academy? You are not from Amegakure! You are an outsider! You are a nobody! You don't belong here! So get out of here!“

 

...

...

...

 

Yuki didn't react.

 

One of his henchmen intervened. “Come on, Raiden, let's leave her alone. This is clearly a waste of time. She is ignoring us. The girl is no fun.“

 

“No, Jurou, wait.“

 

Yuki analysed the enemy. Nee-san taught her to think before you act. So she did.

 

The boy presented her with an opening. His defence was laughable. His stance atrocious.

 

A simple pencil would suffice. Nee-san taught her that any weapon was just a mere tool, an extension of your will. A weapon was useless without a wielder, without resolve. Any object was a potential weapon regardless of its innocuous nature.

 

Her pencil was sharp, thin, solid, well-suited to stab the ignorant boy.

 

Nee-san said the thorax was an excellent target. Center of mass, reliable, and hard to miss. The only downside was your weapon possibly getting stuck in the ribcage.

 

The guts were less protected, in comparison. Neck was also a good choice, but always a messy, a bloody affair. Nee-san recommended the collarbone area, between thora and shoulder blade.

 

The boy followed her eyes and spotted her pencil. He grinned and grabbed it.

 

“My pencil!“ Yuki protested. The evil ruffian took her pencil! Such a dastardly act was unheard of!

 

Yuki pouted. “Give it back!“

 

The boy scoffed. “Why? What are you going to do?“

 

“I said, give it back! That's my pencil! Nee-san bought it!“

 

The boy grinned. “Your nee-san? In that case I will keep it!“

 

Yuki fumed and grabbed another pencil. Her armoury wasn't depleted yet. The boy rested his hand on her desk. An amateurish mistake, as nee-san would say.

 

The boy enjoyed her misfortune. “Look, our little princess is finally reacting.“

 

The boy didn't cease his transgressions. He went further and stole also her bento.

 

“My bento ...“

 

Yuki exploded. Enough was enough! He crossed a line he never should have. This lowly peasant laid his dirty hands on her bento!

 

Yuki gritted her teeth. Her eyebrows twitched in rage. “Return ... my ... bento ... Immediately!“

 

“Take it if you can ...“

 

Yuki didn't let him say that twice and rammed the sharp end of her pencil straight through his hand with all her force.

 

“Aaaarrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Fuck!!!“ The boy gripped his bleeding hand, his face convulsing in pain.

 

“You fucking bitch! Are you crazy?!! Trust me, wou will hear from me! I will tell the teachers!!!“

 

Yuki ignored him and protected her bento between her arms. Her bento.

 

The ruffians retreated. Yuki and her trusty pencil had triumphed.

 

Not only did she defended her bento against external incursions, brave little Yuki also repelled the bullies. That will teach them a lesson.

 

Nee-san would be proud of her. Most definitely. Now she only needs to find friends, but that was a project for the future.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

=^.^=

105