Arc IV Chapter 12
6.5k 15 186
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

IV


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc IV Chapter 12


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


The preliminaries ended. All genin were gathering in the middle of the arena, before them the Hokage and the various examiners.

 

Anko stood there, gesticulating and shouting orders, “Come on, hurry up, lads! Get your sorry arses over here! Pronto! We don't have all day! You too, little princess. Time is precious.” The impatient stare directed at her didn't escape her. Anko didn't bother to hide her irritation.

 

Asami retort. “Patience, Anko, patience. No need to hurl insults. I am already coming.”

 

Anko grinned. “Ah, so our little princess knows how to talk back? Interesting. Didn't your parents teach you to respect your betters?”

 

“...” Asami gritted her teeth. The woman had the nerve to talk about betters. This was an open declaration of war, a declaration she could not ignore. Vindictive as she was, it was time to strike back. “You are talking about respecting your elders, Anko, but you seem to forget that respect is normally earned, and not given.”

 

Anko fumed, her eyebrows twitching. “You, you rascal! Wait until I shove a kunai up your arse! Then you will see what is earned!.”

 

Asami smirked and beckoned with her hand. “You are all bark and no bite. Bring it on, Anko! I am waiting.” Tension rose between the two bellicose kunoichi. One more stubborn than the other. Anko’s hand slowly wandered towards her holster, searching for a kunai. So did hers.

 

Hiruzen, meanwhile, retained his calm, observing the events from a safe distance. Bickering ninja were a common occurrence. Animosities, clan rivalries, eternal grudges for petty reasons, Hiruzen had seen it all. They were always squabbling like children. Probably because many of them were indeed still children, only barely adults.

 

“...” A sigh escaped his lips. Minato died too early. He was too old for this stuff, but he was prepared to suffer for the sake of the village. It was time to intervene. Hiruzen stepped in with an amicable laugh. “Asami, Anko, I am delighted to see that the Will of Fire burns so brightly in you two. I am glad the village can rely on you, but I think that there are better places to solve your little dispute. If you would be so kind as to put your differences aside.” The message was clear, stop causing a scene! Both of you!

 

Nieither Anko, nor Asami welcomed his intervention, but they both obeyed and stood down.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Hiruzen cleared his throat. “I must congratulate you all on passing the second portion of the chunin exams. You did well. Those who passed will now proceed to the third and final part of the chunin exams. 

 

The final exam will consist of another tournament. The tournament will be held in the village arena before a large audience. Many people will come, so I want you to demonstrate your abilities to the fullest as representatives of your respective villages.  

 

The tournament will take place in one month. You will have thus one month of time to prepare yourself. Use the time well. Because many of you might have already revealed many of your most powerful techniques. In the spirit of fairness and equality, the month will give you therefore the opportunity to hone your skills for the final battle. 

 

Increase your strength. Increase your knowledge. Unlike previously, you will know your opponent this time. Use that information to your advantage and you will succeed.”

 

“...” Asami raised an eyebrow. Spirit of fairness and equality? Wasn’t that a bit rich coming from the person who sent her, an ANBU, to the chunin exams? As if you could get stronger in a mere month. Strength was a matter of years of training, hard work, experience, and intellect. What was one month? One month was nothing.

 

“...” Hiruzen allowed his words to sink in. “You can take your leave now, but we need to take care of something else first. I want you to draw lots. Draw a slip of paper from the box Anko is holding in her hands and tell us your number. We need them to determine the matches.”

 

Asami was the last one to draw. Her hand reached inside the box. So who had the honour to serve as her next victim? She drew the number 10.

 

Hiruzen spoke up, “Ibiki, can you please announce the arranged matches.”

 

“Yes, Hokage-sama.” Ibiki presented the results. “The first round consists of four matches in total. The first match is Uzumaki Naruto against Hyuaga Neji. The second match, Uchiha Sasuke against Gaara. The third match, Kankuro against Aburame Shino. And the fourth match, Temari against unknown. Her opponent will be determined by two additional preliminary matches between Nara Shikamaru and the winner of Dosu Kinuta against Minami Asami.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Everyone dispersed, and Asami was about to enjoy her free month. She deserved some rest after all this chunin exams nonsense. 

 

Her heart might embrace fighting. It indulged in it. The euphoria she experienced was priceless. An insatiable yearning engulfed her very being. Her body trembled in anticipation, driven by her instincts. All of her senses sharpened as the surrounding world faded into obscurity. There was only she and the enemy. Everything could be lost, everything gained within a single moment. Her heart craved this glorious, fleeting moment. The moment when destiny culminated, the moment when fate manifested. But compared to her, all these genin were just little children. They were too weak to provide a serious challenge.

 

“...” Asami sighed in disappointment. At least, she received one month worth of free time. She already had a few ideas how to use her time. It was time to train and experiment. It was unfortunate, but her susanoo didn’t satisfy her yet despite its immense capabilities. It didn't offer the degree of protection she wished for. Without a doubt, her susanoo was a powerful weapon, but considering its massive chakra consumption, she had expected more. Ultimately, her susanoo was a defective, an imperfect product. A product with so much wasted potential. There was room for improvement. Her plan was to strengthen its armour to increase its defensive capabilities substantially ...  

 

A hand grabbed her shoulder with force. It was an action that some people might consider rude. Her included.

 

Asami turned around. It was Anko once again. “How can I help you, Anko?”

 

Anko ignored her question. “Listen, girl, You come with me. The Hokage wants to see you. Immediately.” Her voice was stern.

 

“...” Asami gave Anko a disapproving look. She misheard, didn't she? There were few people in this village who dared to speak to her with such audacity. “Oh, really, does he?”

 

“Yes.” Anko didn't look pleased. The dislike was reciprocal.

 

“Why exactly? Why does the Hokage wish to see me?” Asami explored.

 

Anko crossed her arms. “I have no idea, and to be honest, I don’t care. Ask the Hokage. But more important, get moving. Because my patience is limited, and the Hokage is waiting.”

 

“...” Asami rolled her eyes, in part amused. As if her tough woman act had any effect on her at all. Nevertheless, and despite initial differences, she had to give Anko credit where credit was due. Anko had character. The woman had backbone, which was a fact she approved of. “Sure ... Please, lead the way then, Anko.”

 

“...” Anko took the lead as requested after grumbling something about her being a pompous arsehole, but she.

 

Asami followed her without further discussions. After all, she didn’t have the intention to get lost again. The tower was evil and its endless corridors treacherous. She knew from experience.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

186