Arc V Chapter 12
5.6k 30 172
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

V


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc V Chapter 12


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Nara Satoshi was a proud Konoha ninja, a ninja history didn’t care about, a ninja whose fate mattered little, but history cared in a rare show of mercy and told is story.

 

Satoshi was one among many. He worked tirelessly behind the scenes to protect Konoha. His name remained unknown, forever shrouded in mystery. He wasn’t a Sannin. He wasn't a White Fang. He wasn't a Minato. He wasn't a Kakashi. He wasn't an Itachi. He wasn't an Asami, the rising star among Konoha's ANBU. He wasn't like them. He never would. He wasn't born lucky. He was just a normal ninja, such was his destiny. 

 

He was a simple man with modest goals, the very definition of Konoha’s abundant mediocrity. At least, he was an ANBU, which meant he wasn’t completely worthless. He was only insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

 

Satoshi strolled past unused training facilities, unused barracks on his way. They had fallen into disuse since the day that the Hokage had officially dissolved Root. He was a former member of Root, a high ranking member too. He remained a leading figure to this day. On paper, Root didn’t exist any more. The Hokage fully integrated them into the ANBU following the Uchiha massacre and their involvement in the entire affair, but reality was different. Root escaped the entire disaster rather unscathed.

 

There were no arrests, no demotions, no investigations, no serious consequences. The vast majority of Rott ANBU retained their ranks and positions. Not the smartest choice from the Hokage. As usual, Hiruzen was all bark, no bite. In truth, Root survived in the shadows and remained active behind the scenes.

 

Root suffered admittedly from a dubious reputation, mainly due to Danzo, but not every Root member was inherently evil, or rotten to the core. Reality was complex, full of shades of grey and beyond simplistic black and white distinctions. There were also good people who served in Root, brave people who fought and died for Konoha just like everyone else.

 

Not all common sense was yet lost. There were still some critical voices left within the organisation. Most of them were senior members like him. They joined when Root was founded back then under Danzo's leadership, and they often disagreed with his course of action, but Danzo overruled them. 

 

Younger recruits, meanwhile, underwent a much stronger indoctrination, with mixed results. Danzo's program produced excellent ninja, no doubt, but the failure rate was staggering, the casualty rates appalling, and the side effects plenty. His training regime had a negative impact on their psyche and mental stability. Danzo and his methods crippled the children emotionally. His inhuman training turned them into soulless husks. Many of them broke.

 

Satoshi entered the conference room. Perhaps it was truly time to quit Root


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“Morning.” Satoshi yawned and joined his colleagues. No reply came. His comrades were sitting around a round table. The general mood wasn’t the best, judging by their gloomy faces. A series of files lay before them.

 

Satoshi grabbed the documents and gave them a look. “Noriaki, what are these?”

 

Noriaki rubbed his nose. “Our orders. Our deployment orders, to be exact. They are the reason for our lovely meeting. ”

 

Satoshi studied the documents. The plan was to encircle the invasion force and annihilate them. A risky plan, but a sound one. “So they are they from Lord Danzo?”

 

Noriaki gave an uneasy smile. “Not directly ..., but Fu delivered them together with some special orders. Lord Danzo tells us to mobilise every single Root ninja available. ”

 

“...” Satoshi’s composure faltered. He didn't like the sound of ‘special orders’. He didn’t like them, nor did the rest of his colleagues. After all, it was rarely Danzo who paid the price for his ‘special missions’. Not every Root ninja was a mindless drone, eager to die. The old man was quite good at running. He would sacrifice them without hesitation just to save his own skin, just like back then in Amegakure. “And what do these ‘special orders’ exactly entail to?”

 

Noriaki crossed his arms. “That is the problem, Satoshi. You know her, Konoha's little princess, Konoha's Black Princess, don't you?”

 

“...” Satoshi stiffened. His limbs froze. He had a premonition. There was only one person who carried this moniker. The girl carried her title with pride. “I do ... The girl is quite ... capable.”

 

Noriaki took a deep breath. “Yes, unfortunately.”

 

“...” No. No, no, no, no. No. Satoshi had an uncanny feeling. This entire situation reminded him too much of Ame.

 

Noriaki handed him another folder. “These are our real orders. Read and you will understand.”

 

“...” Satoshi took the files. He dreaded the answer. His hands touched the soft paper with a sense of detachment. The folder was thin, light, but the paper weighed heavily on him. His mind refused to accept reality. His eyes stared at her picture for a small eternity. The girl looked quite harmless, but the picture didn't betray her true nature. The girl was a natural calamity.

 

Satoshi murmured her name. “Asami ... We have to kill her ...”

 

“Yes.” Noriaki nodded.

 

“We all know Asami, don't we?” Satosh remained calm.

 

“Yes.”

 

“We know what she is capable of?”

 

“Yes, we do.” Noriaki agreed.

 

Satoshi sighed. “I guess then you probably know that we are as good as dead. The little princess will slaughter us!” His common sense warned him. It rarely failed him.

 

Noriaki remained unfazed. “Probbaly. I predict that our chances are 50-50, but such is our duty.”

 

Satoshi clicked his tongue. “50-50, how very encouraging. I will let my men know that we only have a fifty percent chance to die. Seriously, Noriaki, why are we doing this? This is going to be a suicide mission, and you know it, Noriaki. We all know it.

 

I have no problem with his Danzoness deciding to fuck around with her, but please without getting us involved. I certainly don't want to bite the dust because of him and his little adventures.” The rest of the table remained silent. Nobody looked particularly excited about their special mission. Everyone knew what was at stake.

 

...

...

...

 

Subaru joined his side. “Noriaki, I think that Satoshi has a point.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


172