Arc VI Chapter 1
6.8k 39 191
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

VI


━━━━━━┓༻❁༺┏━━━━━━


Arc VI Chapter 1


━━━━━━┛༻❁༺┗━━━━━━


Satoshi got up this morning and didn’t stay at home, a brilliant idea he already regretted. He had a bad feeling, a very bad feeling. He faked an illness, but he went against all his self preservation instincts and joined his fellow Root ninja. It was a good day to die.

 

He approached his comrades.  Noriaki greeted him with a smile. “What a surprise, Satoshi. Why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be sick?”

 

Satoshi coughed to maintain his act. “I am, but my condition improved, and I am able to join you.”

 

Noriaki grinned. The old fox saw through his scheme. “I am pleased to hear that. And I thought that you were only pretending.”

 

Satoshi smiled. “No idea what you are talking about. Why should I simulate? I am just a little hypochondriac and worried about my health, but I can’t let you all die without me. I would miss you.”

 

Noriaki chuckled. “That's the Satoshi we all love and miss.”

 

Satoshi's smile grew uneasy. “What's our plan then? Throwing men against her and burying her under our corpses?”

 

Subaru clarified, “Kind of. You aren’t far from the truth.”

 

Satoshi sighed in resignation. “I told you, attrition is a terrible idea. It's a matter of whether the girl first runs out of chakra, or we out of men. Judging by our numbers, I doubt this strategy will work in our favour.”

 

They had two battalions, eight companies. Their numbers wouldn't suffice should Asami deploy her firepower. The pyromaniac princess loved her explosions, and her swords, but primarily her explosions. If she dropped a second Shimabara on them, it would be game over. They could be happy if there even remained a Konoha afterwards.

 

Noriaki agreed. “True enough, but luckily, we aren’t alone. We got some reinforcements.”

 

Satoshi raised his eyebrow. That was new. “And who are these reinforcements?” Danzo was a powerful man, but even his resources were limited. He couldn’t create ninja out of nowhere.

 

“Fu didn’t specify anything, but he promised us additional troops to soften up her resistance.”

 

“So we use them as cannon fodder and pray that we don’t get slaughtered afterwards?” Satoshi summarised their strategy.

 

“More or less. It's a gamble whether we can take her out before she takes us out. But otherwise, it's business as usual.”

 

Satoshi didn't look convinced, but he kept silent. “I see ... When does the operation start?”

 

Noriaki paused. “That's the complicated part. Killing a kunoichi of Asami's calibre won’t go unnoticed. The village council will ask questions, uncomfortable questions we will have to answer. Especially, if things don’t go smoothly. We need a pretence, a good pretence, if we get caught.”

 

Satohi listened. His scepticism was written all over his face. “And where do we get our pretence from?”

 

“That's not the issue.” Noriaki presented him a scroll. “We have this.”

 

Satoshi studied the document. His eyes widened. The scroll bore the official seal of the Hokage and ordered all available elements to arrest Asami on sight for high treason. Asami betrayed the village and needed to be detained.

 

“...” Satoshi glanced up. How did they get their hands on something like this? 

 

Noriaki dispelled his confusion. “Fu delivered the scroll this morning.”

 

Satoshi blinked. Apparently, Danzo used his brain cells once. Considering all the bullshit he pulled off over the years, it was a miracle that Danzo was still a free man. The amount of evidence he left behind was staggering. They were responsible for Shisui’s death, but no repercussions followed. Shisui committed suicide, and Itachi kept his mouth shut. They failed to kill Kakashi to retrieve his Sharingan and even got their cover blown, but Kakashi’s lips remained sealed.

 

Several assassination attempts on Hiruzen failed, but nothing happened. The Hokage overlooked their repeated transgressions. He was well aware of Danzo's activities, but he chose to tolerate them for the sake of the village. They were Konoha's darkness.

 

Satoshi rolled up the scroll. “I guess that this will be a false flag operation.”

 

Noriaki nodded. “Exactly, our mission is to provoke an escalation. Shouldn’t be all too difficult considering her infamous temper.”

 

“And who is responsible for baiting the dragon?”

 

“Good that you ask, we were just about to determine who gets the honour. You arrived just in time to participate.”

 

“Wonderful.” Satoshi maintained his smile.

 

Noriaki produced a few sticks from his pouch. “Nobody volunteered, so we are drawing lots. The loser will command the 1st Company and face Asami.”

 

Satoshi drew, and his luck didn't fail him. He won the big prize.

 

His hand rubbed the bridge of his nose. “Oh, come on!” The world wasn't fair.


━━━━━━┛༻❁༺┗━━━━━━


If you liked this chapter, check out my other novel and give it a try!

Schwarz -‖- Der Wille zur Macht

Arc I Prologue

Villainess, noble girl, princess.

Reincarnation is a fickle matter, unpredictable and capricious, uncaring and unforgiving in nature. Stranded in unknown lands, in a different time and age by the mysterious forces of magic, Aurora is reborn as the sole heiress of the ancient noble House von Schwarz, destined to enter the game of kings and queens, armed with pride, deceit, and an adorable doll.

 

191