Chapter 29 : Nothing beats home
3.1k 9 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I step foot into the village, the familiar scenery came into my view. I breathed in deep, and let it out all at once.

"Haaaaah~ I'm finally back home"

I headed down the road, there are children playing around, their parents watching them, etc. It's the scene I've seen many times before. My heart is filled with nostalgic feelings.

"Don't move too far ahead Sir Feyt"

"...Sure"

Even though I requested to go alone, father assigned some guards for me for some reason. If I remember correctly, these guards are father's most trusted allies... Am I really that important?

 

After a short walk, I reached my home. It still looks the same as I left it, well, I only left for a few months after all. I walked up to the door and knocked on it.

I knocked at the door, a familiar feminine voice called out.

"Please wait a moment!"

The door opens, there a blonde woman can be seen. She immediately perked up the moment she saw my face.

"FEEYYYTT!~~~"

"Hi mo- Gukh!"

She hugged me immediately. I didn't even finish my greeting. She scrambled my hair as she held me tightly.

"Oh~ You've grown even taller~ Welcome back~~"

Huh, did really I grow taller? I'm about mom's nose height now, I guess I really am taller...

"Feyt?!"

Dad came out of the back, he is shirtless. Judging from his wet hair, I assume he just finished washing himself. Mom released her hold of me as dad came up to greet me.

"Feyt! Didn't expect you so early! Welcome back!"

"Hi dad! It's good to be back!"

I feel relieved being able to see them again. It has been a while, how long was it? 2 months? I didn't think time would pass by that quickly.

"And uh... Who are those?"

Dad pointed to the three armored guards behind me. They saluted towards dad and then gave a response.

"Don't mind us, we are only here to observe Sir Feyt"

"...Sir Feyt?"

 

We're sitting in the dining room, the guards are waiting outside of the house.

"And they call you Sir Feyt? What are you? A nobility?"

Dad asked jokingly.

"I don't know why they call me that... Something about being Teacher Sareid's "Personal Choice""

"Well, I'm just glad you're doing well there Feyt~"

"Thank you mom"

Dad took a look at me.

"Still, you've really grown tall, stand up for me real quick"

"Huh? Sure"

I stood up from my seat, dad stood up too and approached me. He stood right next beside me, I have to bend my neck just to see his face from this angle. He's tall as heck...

"Hah! You reached my shoulder height! Last time you barely reached my chest height!"

Dad scrambled my hair as he patted me.

"E-Ehehe~"

I feel proud~ Did I really grow that tall in the last two months? Feyt's height and Carine's height is around the same, so I assume that my body as Carine is also growing taller.

Dad lifted his hand off my hair as he realized something.

"Oh right! How was the training? It's not too rough right?"

"I'm doing well actually, I've memorized most of the basic stuff already, they haven't taught the more advanced ones yet though"

"...Huh? Didn't Kyrat mention that in the letters?"

Dad and father were exchanging letters? Didn't know that.

"Dad, you're friends with Teacher Sareid?"

"Hm? Of course we are! We shared a bottle of wine together!"

Is that really all you need to make friends with someone?

 


 

I walked into my bedroom, it's surprisingly clean despite me leaving it for two whole months.

"We've been cleaning up your room Feyt, so no need to worry about dust~"

Ah, that explains why. Mom always clean things that doesn't even need to be cleaned, almost as bad as dad's tendency to do physical work despite there's no need to.

"Thanks mom, by the way, what's for lunch?"

"Vegetable soup and some deer meat~"

"Really?~"

"It's your favorite, so why not~"

"Thanks mom! I'm looking forward to it!"

I've been missing mom's soup ever since I've left. Leila made exceptional soup for sure, but it's not the same as mom's.

"I'll be in the kitchen and dad will be chopping down wood on the fields. Call us if you need anything~"

"Thanks mom!"

Mom left the room. Now I'm alone in my old bed, it's not as comfortable as the one I have in Carine's house, but it's nostalgic. I took a few things out of the bag I was carrying, one of which is my wooden flute. I brought it over so I can play on the carriage whenever I was bored. The guards can't complain since they are assigned to be my guards~ So I figured it would be fine if I play it in front of them, despite my skills being average. And they didn't have a slightest reaction to my playing, so I continued to play the flute along the way here.

Actually, I noticed that some of the guards' faces tense up during my flute session on the carriage. Wonder why?

Wait, this flute is from Ricent right? I guess I should visit him too.

I stood up from the bed and headed outside the room. Mom is in the kitchen chopping up some vegetables. I called out to her.

"Mom, I'm going to visit Ricent for a while."

"Alright! But be careful on the way there!"

"Got it mom!"

I headed out of the house, three armored guards greeted me. They saluted to me and gave a question.

"Sir Feyt! Where would you like to go?"

"Uh... To a friend's house..."

"Understood! We shall guard you on the way! Men! Line up!"

"Yes sir!"

The guards saluted and started to line up in a formation. If I remember correctly, this is the formation to protect VIPs from any sort of danger. This extravagant procedure is being done in public, thus attracting the attention of nearby passersby.

This is annoying to be honest. The house I'm going to is only a few seconds away! It's literally right in front of us!

"We are ready to escort you Sir Feyt!"

"Y-Yeah."

I walked to the pub across from my house. The guards following close behind me as people stared at me confusingly.

"Is that a noble?"

"Doesn't dress like one."

"He looks young."

"Does he really need that many guards here?"

I can hear them criticizing me perfectly, [Enhanced Hearing] is scary.

I soon reached the pub, it was only a 30 second walk, but it felt long due to the guards.

"I'll be entering, please wait here"

"Understood Sir Feyt!"

They saluted towards me as I enter the pub.

 

I can see a few people drinking from a mug. It's not crowded since it's noon, so my ears are thankful for that.

"Welcome to- Oh! Is that you Feyt?"

Ricent's mother noticed me immediately.

"Hi, is Ricent here?"

"Why yes, he's-"

"Feyt?!"

Ricent came down the stairs and ran towards me. He slammed his hands down on my shoulders.

"Welcome back!!!!"

"It's good to be back Ricent! How are you?"

"I'm fine! Great even!"

I noticed that I'm about to reach the same height as him, that's an achievement. He is still enthusiastic as ever. Actually, he might be more enthusiastic than before judging from his voice tone. As if he's happy about something.

"You look happy. Got a girlfriend or something?"

"Even better! Hear me out!"

Huh? Something even greater than a girlfriend? What is it?! Did he get engaged somehow?

"Alright! Listen closely!"

"Okay."

I focused my sole attention to him, curious about what made him happy.

"I... Have......."

...

Have what? Don't pause like that! I'm curious!

"...Magic!!!!!!"

"...Huh?"

Magic? Like, a magical girlfriend?

"Cool right?! It's Water magic too!"

His mother interjected.

"It's true you know? I managed to save up enough money to buy a Talent scroll and apparently Ricent has [High Water Magic] proficiency. Now I don't need to open up the pub anymore if he works in the Royal Guards~"

Proficiency? Water? What's that have to do with girlfriends... Wait, they're not talking about girlfriends aren't they? What the heck am I thinking about, haha...

...

"...Wait! Magic?!"

"Huh? Why are you surprised for the second time?"

138