Arc II Chapter 8
8.1k 19 244
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

II


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc II Chapter 8


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“How was your first day as a sensei, Masasane?” Hiruzen greeted him with a smile. Masasane requested his help, and the ever-helpful man, Hiruzen didn't refuse.

 

The sun set, giving the office a solemn atmosphere. Darkness replaced the retreating light.

 

Masasane scratched his head. “To be honest, I have an issue with my team, or rather with a certain girl, Minami Asami. I don't know what to do about her, Hokage-sama.”

 

Hiruzen was listening, chewing on his favourite pipe. “Tell me more, Masasane, what's the problem?”

 

Masasane was at a loss. “So far, her personality proved difficult to manage. Asami is a prideful girl, arrogant and conceited. She wasn't exactly pleased with my choice of the team leader ...”

 

“Let me guess, you didn't pick her, and she threw a tantrum, didn't she?” Hiruzen laughed.

 

Masasane reacted surprised. “How ...”

 

“How did I know? I know Asami, Masasane.” Hiruzen exhaled a nebulous cloud of smoke. “Sometimes, she reminds me even of a former student of mine. She is similar to him, but fortunately also different. ”

 

Masasane looked dumbfounded. “I don't understand, Hokage-sama?”

 

Hiruzen laughed. “Tell me, Masasane, how much do you know about our little princess?”

 

“Not much. I only know the basics, her name, her birth date, her losing her entire family three years ago. Her academy files note that she is supposedly talented, but little else otherwise ...”

 

Hiruzen laughed. “Talented they say? That is quite an understatement on their part. Don't trust the academy files, Masasane, they are wrong. Don't be deceived by her appearance, Asami is more than just talented. She is a true prodigy. She is an exceptionally gifted kunoichi. Maybe at times a bit too gifted for her own good. Unfortunately, our little princess clearly lacks in other departments. Especially, when it comes to humility. That is the reason why I assigned her to your team. I put her together with Aritame and Yukihiro. The two are among the lowest scoring academy graduates of the year. She needs to learn to work with those less gifted and less fortunate. And who knows, they might profit from your guidance and her exceptional skill. The girl might serve as an example to them. At least, that's my hope.”

 

Hiruzen leaned back in his chair. “Anyway, what I am about to tell you is classified material, Masasane, but I think you deserve to know as Asami is now part of your team. Asami lost her family three years ago during an attack. The attackers were multiple at least jonin level ninja. We suspect that they were foreign ANBU. In the end, they escaped, but what is interesting is the fact that Asami at the age of 9 was not only able to survive the attack, but also able to hold her own against her attackers. She fought and engaged them successfully until a squad of ANBU arrived at the scene.”

 

Masasane paled, stunned by what he heard. “Is that true ...? Did she really fight ...”

 

“...” Hiruzen merely nodded.

 

...

...

...

 

“I see.” Masasane grew silent. “I guess that explains a lot ... No wonder that she was able to take the bells with such ease ... Asami has combat experience ...”

 

“...” Masasane bowed. “Thank you for your time, Hokage-sama. I will take my leave then.”

 

...

...

...

 

 

Day turned night and an old friend visited him, eavesdropping on him as usual.

 

Hiruzen looked up. “Danzo, don't you know that eavesdropping isn't a polite thing to do. How much did you hear, old friend?”

 

Emerging from the shadows, Danzo showed himself. “Enough to tell that the girl has piqued my interest, Hiruzen. What was her name again? Asami?”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Her daily morning bath ended and Asami left her bathroom. In search for a fresh pair of clothes, Asami was wandering through her old home. It cost a small fortune to rebuild the mansion and restore it to its old glory, but it was worth every last ryo.

 

Asami inspected her wardrobe. Her collection was still limited. The majority of her clothes were lost that night. Some lovely pieces survived the night, but many didn't ...

 

Someone knocked on the door. Asami opened. It was Aritame that stood before her, visibly furious. But what could he do? Report her to their sensei? Scary stuff.

 

Aritame visited her on a daily basis to reprimand her for her irresponsible behaviour. Asami usually ignored him before telling him in no uncertain terms to leave her property.

 

But he didn't let it discourage him. He appeared every morning to complain about her frequent absences. She just missed a few team missions. 56 weren't that many, were they? She had more important things to do with her time.

 

Asami rolled her eyes. “What can I do for you, Aritame? Do you want some tea, or biscuits?”

 

Aritame glared at her. “I am here to tell you that you have once again skipped one of our team missions, Asami.”

 

Asami scoffed. “I know. So what, Aritame?”

 

Aritame clenched his fists. “That's not how things work, Asami. You can't just abandon us like this ...”

 

“Huh, is that all you have to say? Then stop bothering me, Aritame. I have enough of these stupid missions. I have enough of deliveries. I have enough of catching unruly cats, Aritame. I am done with this shit! I am overqualified for this stuff! Tell Masasane he can call me when we get a real mission and not this D-rank crap! And now get lost. Disappear from my sight, or I will kick your useless arse so fucking hard that you will learn how to fly.” Asami slammed the door shut.

 

A shiver ran down Aritame's spine. “Asami is really, really scary when angry.” He quickly left. Better not to stay here.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


“Sensei, why are we here? Asami didn't react with much enthusiasm yesterday. So why should she change her mind today?” Aritame had is doubts. Because he remembered yesterday.

 

“Aritame, Yukihiro, you two are still young. Every team has its moments of crisis. The challenge is to overcome them and grow stronger.” Masasane hoped his plan would work. Asami was a terribly stubborn and prideful girl.

 

“I also doubt that this is a good idea, sensei”, Yukihiro seconded Aritame's opinion, but Masasane marched ahead without fear.

 

They reached Asami's little palace. The mansion was large, surrounded by extensive gardens, and situated in one Konoha's wealthiest districts.

 

Masasane gulped. Her monetary resources were certainly considerable. Compared to their little princess, all three of them were just poor beggars.

 

“Don't worry, Aritame, Yukihiro, what can happen after all? Our little princess won't throw us into her dungeon, right? ” Masasane knocked on the door. They waited.

 

Aritame gave him a blank stare. “What can happen? A few days ago, she threatened me to plant my head on a spear.”

 

Masasane scratched his head. “I think that was just a joke, probably. Asami can be a bit grumpy from time to time, but she isn't a bad person ...”

 

“A bit grumpy? Is that what you think about me, sensei” Masasane froze. Asami was standing right behind him, wasn't she? 

 

Masasane smiled uneasily. “Asami, what a surprise ... Have I ever told you that you have a really beautiful home?”

 

Asami grinned. “Not that I remember, but don't think you can get away with cheap flattery alone. What do you want, sensei?”

 

Masasane scratched his head. “Look, I am here to invite you to a team dinner this afternoon.”

 

“You invite me to a meal?”

 

“Yes, a meal.”

 

“What's the catch, sensei?”

 

“We will discuss there our next mission ...”

 

His words displeased Asami. “Masasane, are you trying to buy my attention with food?”

 

He messed up, didn't he? Masasane paled. “Well, don't children normally like food?”

 

“Normally, but not in my case. The next time you try to bribe me, try harder.” Asami slammed the door shut, but Masasane intercepted her. “I think you should reconsider my offer.”

 

“And why that?”

 

“You see, I invite you because I want us to celebrate. The Hokage informed me that we will soon undertake our first C-Rank mission.”

 

Asami opened the door again. “You have my attention, Masasane.”


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

244